Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just got out of Alfheim and am I wrong or is going back to get anything you missed anywhere ever gonna suck real bad? Like I've seen those doors that are obviously fast travel points but Alfheim is like 5 goddamn hours long and I'm pretty sure I walked past things I could go back and get with the upgrade I now have but holy poo poo gently caress that much backtracking

Like I've figured out that it's pre' easy to go around doing actual side stuff but straight up going for chests/collectibles you missed, is it as bad as I think it is?

And hey, thank gently caress for the Lost Items thing in shops, because somehow in my stoned haze last night I missed picking up the first Magic attack that Boy gets. How??! lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

esperterra posted:

Are you hung up on the area with the light bridges? With vines covering a crystal?

No, I mean two optional areas on the lake. I got some stuff out ouf of them but a couple of paths/chests still remain locked. They are these typical "align 3 vines and throw an axe" but alignment points appear to be on a ledge above me and out of reach.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I did not really like this game. I understand why is going to be GOTY for a lot of people, but I think the whole game his dragged down by some key negatives.

The combat is not fun to me. I don't know why is joyless for me. Maybe I am dead inside.
The enemy variety is small, maybe theres 15 type of enemies or more, but most are just variant of draught.
The weapons come in their own only after a huge grinding.

I like the relation of kratos dad and BOI, but is a minor theme, too small. You can't make a game about getting your kid, going to the mall to buy pizzas.

The game feel small.
I got utterly confused where to go or how to go to places. I am not a smart person.

I think they made the control pad distribution wrong. At times It feel like you have two control schemes or 3 combat systems and you may forget a entire combat system exist. People that change the layout to be more classic are into something.
I don't like how we get new "spells" or the variety in these. They have cool names but they do mostly the same thing. I wish they had boring names, but where strongly different each another.

Cool game, anyway, well made, and I enjoyed it very much. But not my goty.

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 23, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just finished the main story. I want more of this.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The facial animations are out of this world. When you meet the second dwarf and he's icked out about the dirty axe haft the camera pans around Kratos as you get control back after the cutscene and the expression on his face is pure 'I'm surrounded by morons' and it's AMAZING.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tei posted:

I got utterly confused where to go or how to go to places. I am not a smart person.

The rest of this is pretty subjective but for this point in particular, I noticed the quest tracking is literally "go here", not "figure out how to get here" like most games. If there's an objective at the end of a giant snaking waterway that wraps halfway around the map? Quest marker on the compass points you directly at the entrance of the waterway from the lake. Standing at the store? Quest marker's pointing you at the closest boat. Got quick travel unlocked? The closest travel point to your objective is blinking.

This game has flaws but the quest tracking stuff gets it pretty drat right imo.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

I like the relation of kratos dad and BOI, but is a minor theme, too small. You can't make a game about getting your kid, going to the mall to buy pizzas.

I don't really see how this is a minor theme. The relationship between child and parent is one of the major themes of the human experience. More often than not it defines who we become as we grow.

And uh...the buying pizza analogy is ridiculously reductive.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bardeh posted:

The facial animations are out of this world. When you meet the second dwarf and he's icked out about the dirty axe haft the camera pans around Kratos as you get control back after the cutscene and the expression on his face is pure 'I'm surrounded by morons' and it's AMAZING.

This actually felt kind of lacking to me because while most of the facial animations are on point, Miri's head is hanging off your belt and staring directly at the camera for 90% of the game never seemed to emote, like at all, and it kind of threw me every time he's talking

the voice acting is fantastic across the board though, when atreus gets into rebellious teen god mode and verbally kicks sindri's puppy, sindri just sounds so defeated in literally every minor interaction from that point on that it's legitimately depressing

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So bit of a question. How is the boss variety in the game? Spoilers for temple of light stuff The troll was pretty mediocre as a opening and I really don't like that fight. Then Baldur (I'm assuming) impressed me and was pretty fun. Then it's been all downhill with a troll recolor and literally just a normal enemy with more hp. It picks up later right? Kinda nervous that they made a big "wow!" first boss then left the rest of it for end game.

The next big boss fight you’re headed towards is the best boss fight I’ve seen in... ever? and I’ve heard the game has even more in store sooooo

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bardeh posted:

I don't really see how this is a minor theme. The relationship between child and parent is one of the major themes of the human experience. More often than not it defines who we become as we grow.

my only sort of complaint is that because it's an open world but storyline-and-voice-acting-heavy game, the interactions during every sidequest have effectively no bearing on the interactions during the main quest, and vice versa. any character development that we're in the process of exploring during The Journey is effectively completely ignored during interactions when you're doing favors for people

I recognize that it's effectively a requirement for games set up like this, but it was still jarring if you do anything during the "no gently caress you dad" adventures and jumping from "whatever" to "yes sir" and back again

it's also kind of blatant when you find the jotnar lore panels, if you don't have miri, atreus talks to himself, but if you do have miri, atreus has the same "thinking out loud" monologues, miri responds it, and atreus just completely ignores him. You think they'd at least toss in a "huh, that's cool" here and there or something, poor guy :smith:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So bit of a question. How is the boss variety in the game? Spoilers for temple of light stuff The troll was pretty mediocre as a opening and I really don't like that fight. Then Baldur (I'm assuming) impressed me and was pretty fun. Then it's been all downhill with a troll recolor and literally just a normal enemy with more hp. It picks up later right? Kinda nervous that they made a big "wow!" first boss then left the rest of it for end game.

they reuse the "giant with a pillar" miniboss in various forms at least half a dozen times, but all of the "real" boss fights are extremely unique and :discourse:, even the "you can't kill me here, I've got plot armor, I'll be back to gently caress you up again next act" ones. there's also non plot hidden bosses floating around, I haven't really sunk my teeth into them yet but they appear to have the same base model but completely different mechanics per fight

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is easily the kind of game I could see myself playing multiple times. When I get through some epic story encounter I already wish I could hit rewind and dispatch the bad guys in more cinematic fashion, for a discerning audience of no one but myself.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

This is easily the kind of game I could see myself playing multiple times. When I get through some epic story encounter I already wish I could hit rewind and dispatch the bad guys in more cinematic fashion, for a discerning audience of no one but myself.

I'm doing Muselpheim and I keep expecting Immigrant Song to kick in. When you fight enough guys at once you're bound to finally get that thrown axe multi target hitting enemies and dancing around while you punch someone before calling it back to you to attack, twirl, then do the stance change twirls. Bonus point if you manage to finish the last dude with a grab or charged R2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm still trying to perfect the "Kratos kills the last dude with a blind axe recall while slowly walking away."

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Bardeh posted:

I really hope it gets there, so far all conversations were a variation of:

BOY: Hi dad, I am a normal boy let's have a conversation like human beings.
KRATOS: NOO, CONVERSATIONS ARE FOR BOATS ONLY! ONLY BUSINESS RELATED COMMUNICATION ON MISSION :kratos:

Its getting kinda old.

E: I won't put spoilers because its not part of the plot but there is very missable glowing thingy in elfland that gives permanent buff to rune I think. It hangs over the river and looks like part of the rest of glowy fluff except there is a prompt to press circle, boy grabs it and you get a message that you got +1 to a thing. It was very mundane for something so unique.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 23, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah just fought the boss on the mountain and while he was AMAZINGLY easy he was still cooler than Troll With Pillar #5

That said while I'm warming up to the two main characters interactions I gotta say this plot sure is uh... a whole lot of nothing. It had a pretty strong opening but it kinda feels like it's dragging it's feet. At the peak I expected to scatter the ashes, then Baldur shows up and "get ready here comes the real plot!!" to start up. Instead I got up, saw Baldur leave and my mission is now to climb a different mountain.

Not saying it's a bad premise or anything, just kinda wish there was more of a hook. It introduced a villain less than a hour in and I haven't actually seen any antagonizing force 10-12 hours into the game after that. It's kinda weird. Though there is something kind of funny about walking into the middle of a ELF WAR for some apartment keys then leaving after destabilizing one of the forces by pure happenstance.

E: I have no idea how long the game is or how far I am in the main story. Stickin with it cause I DO like the game, just hoping for more butting heads with [bad dudes] or something that can actually talk to Kratos and BOY

E2: Now that I'm actually thinking about it, I wonder if the scene at the end of the ELF WAR was supposed to be hilarious. Kratos and his son comment on how stupid the door is because you can't open it. When you get inside it's only opened by a bowl with a riddle attached to it. You open it and a ton of light elfs come in with this nice choir music but the reality of the situation is they literally locked themselves out of their own house and had to hope someone came by to open it for them. Like they had to have been standing on the other side of the door going "poo poo why didn't we put a door knob on this thing."

Then as soon as Kratos walks through it they lock it behind him again. Like loving thanks guys.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 23, 2018

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

they reuse the "giant with a pillar" miniboss in various forms at least half a dozen times, but all of the "real" boss fights are extremely unique and :discourse:, even the "you can't kill me here, I've got plot armor, I'll be back to gently caress you up again next act" ones. there's also non plot hidden bosses floating around, I haven't really sunk my teeth into them yet but they appear to have the same base model but completely different mechanics per fight

In any other game I'd consider Ancients, Trolls and Ogres to be a boss or a mini boss. Here they are just slightly bigger minions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah trolls are just those big mutant dudes in the batman games that are more dangerous to your enemies than to Kratos.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Did I miss something? Freya just freaked out and threw away my arrows. Did we see where we got the arrows from or do we find out later?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Over There posted:

Did I miss something? Freya just freaked out and threw away my arrows. Did we see where we got the arrows from or do we find out later?

Keep going buddy, all will be revealed in time. I think it was Brok that gave them to Atreus as a gift.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Over There posted:

Sindri gave BOY the arrows after you saved him from the dragons. They were made of braided mistletoe. If you know your Norse mythology, this immediately answers a couple of questions about the plot.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why can't I upgrade my shoulder and chest armor? I just got my first belt and wrist armors and have the option to upgrade them, but not the chest and shoulder armor I already had.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Over There posted:

Non-spoiler: You got those shiny objects a little while ago as a gift from your dwarf pal. You may have missed the dialogue. There was seemingly no reason for the freak out from your perspective.

BUT, MASSIVE spoiler:

In Greek mythology you remember Achilles, right? Well in norse mythology Baldur is kinda the same, but invincible to literally everything except mistletoe. Baldur being killed by mistletoe is basically Phase One of Ragnarok and the end of the gods and all things. Including Freya. So... big no-no to have those.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bardeh posted:

Why can't I upgrade my shoulder and chest armor? I just got my first belt and wrist armors and have the option to upgrade them, but not the chest and shoulder armor I already had.

Your original, start of game clothes can never be upgraded. Only the stuff you get later.

Eventually you'll have armor with several rune sockets and upgrades and all kinds of poo poo. So will BOY.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Probably won't be able to play any more today, which is killing me.

For most of the game my Vitality, Luck, and Cooldown are supposed to be really tiny, right? I know the bars don't go as high as for the other three stats, but I've barely been finding anything to boost those outside of socketed gems, which aren't doing much.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Is there a way to ever get back to Wildwoods (your house)/Riverpass? I just realized I missed like, almost every collectable in both of those places.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

lmao one of the treasure maps is to recover the captain's boat key from the original GoW.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I keep dying to this dumb Valkyrie boss that I could have easily beaten by now if I just went back to buy a resurrection stone but I am too freaking proud so I have wasted an hour of my life.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Someone posted about locking down enemies with the axe, does that come later because when I throw it at enemies it just goes through them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rad Valtar posted:

Someone posted about locking down enemies with the axe, does that come later because when I throw it at enemies it just goes through them.

You have to hit them in the head with a heavy throw.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Sekenr posted:

No, I mean two optional areas on the lake. I got some stuff out ouf of them but a couple of paths/chests still remain locked. They are these typical "align 3 vines and throw an axe" but alignment points appear to be on a ledge above me and out of reach.

Yeah this is the area I'm caught up on. There appears to be an edge it wants me to throw the axe from but the ledge is not reachable.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I imagine Kratos saying "I say" every time he calls his son "boy" and it makes me giggle.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

the valkyria fights are cool and good.

Also, I got the time freeze power and it helps me understand how this game works better. Things like valkiries use spells to do remote attacks and you can interrupt these if you shot at the hands. Imposible for old person me to see that in real speed but was kinda obvious in slow time.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They should have licensed some Led Zepplin for the soundtrack. I like the orchestral stuff, but c'mon man. It would have made the reviews from "This game is really good, and after 45 hours I can safely....." to "OMG GET THIS GAME HOLY gently caress A+++ FUUUUCCKKKKKKKYEAAAHHH"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The combat in this game is extremely God of War and I'm playing on "Give Me A Challenge" so as much as I am really enjoying it, Revenants seem so much stronger than any of the Draugr I've fought yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Anyone gotten a sense of how bad the Niflheim grind is yet? I'm tempted to platinum this game but that and the ravens are the two things that make me hesitant.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

1stGear posted:

Anyone gotten a sense of how bad the Niflheim grind is yet? I'm tempted to platinum this game but that and the ravens are the two things that make me hesitant.

Not so bad, maybe two hours or so. Once you get enough mist to make all three armors, you can do a run around the entire maze and get 6-10k mist in ten minutes. The maze is kind of shaped like an octagon. Each line is a hallway full of traps and maybe treasure, and each point is a room that alternates between enemies (treasure) and no enemies (maybe treasure). Also, about two rooms in there's a side path that leads to a big room with tougher enemies (a boss your first time) and a chest worth 800 mist and 8k silver.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm also the guy who completely missed the part that told you that R3 was to lock on enemies until I fought the fire giant so my camera was chaos for the first 5 hours or so.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm also the guy who completely missed the part that told you that R3 was to lock on enemies until I fought the fire giant so my camera was chaos for the first 5 hours or so.

Well that helps, so far me in combat has been tapping x rapidly to jump left and right until I go forward and awkwardly swing at someone, unless it's an enemy slow-moving enough I can spam axe throws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Bit of a spoiler for late game, but is the Leviathan Axe supposed to be Lævateinn, Loki’s weapon?