Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

DocBubonic posted:

I avoided buying a bullet journal or even a victoria journal (yet), but I did buy the stencils to fancy up my journal. If you're going to do bullet journaling, then you need to do it right with fancy stencils.

I looked up that bullet journaling site and i still don't know what it is. It just looks like a notebook with dots instead of lines. All the other talk is just ... it's a notebook you write in. Why not just write in a notebook? I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bummey posted:

I looked up that bullet journaling site and i still don't know what it is. It just looks like a notebook with dots instead of lines. All the other talk is just ... it's a notebook you write in. Why not just write in a notebook? I don't get it.

It's a method of writing a todo list/calendar, the "bullet journals" you can buy are just formatted better toward that framework than lined paper.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bummey posted:

It's a method of journaling, like shorthand but not as extreme.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I spent about a minute looking at the linked website, and my instinctive reaction was "MLM or cult"

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
"improved my physical and emotional health immensely" is the first quote that showed up for me on that Bullet Journal site, it's really good for a laugh

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Bummey posted:

I started it recently, and maybe I'm in a cult now, but I like it?

I was having some severe anxiety and stress issues, a lot of it caused by social media and technology integration. The bullet journaling is a nice way to organize your life in a way thats sort of fun and personal. I like that its a set of tools, but the tools aren't too rigid and you can be a little creative in how you make them work for you. There is also something cathartic about physical writing vs text input on a phone. One of the things the bullet site mentions is thaat if something isn't worth writing down, its probably not worth remembering, that sort of mentality is helping me avoid the signal to noise that is modern technology.

One of the de-stress things I've done that might be full nuke is to turn off all notifications on my phone except phone calls. I check SMS when I have time to. Its been really refreshing to detach that way and bullet journaling helps me still plan and organize my life that allows me to leave the phone in my pocket and avoid distraction. Plus doodling is fun.

That all said, you don't need a special notebook for it work. Anything will do. A dot grid does kinda help keep things neat, and quality paper is nice since part of the idea is that these things are permanent.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

so it's got dots instead of lines. ok.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

eSporks posted:

I started it recently, and maybe I'm in a cult now, but I like it?

I was having some severe anxiety and stress issues, a lot of it caused by social media and technology integration. The bullet journaling is a nice way to organize your life in a way thats sort of fun and personal. I like that its a set of tools, but the tools aren't too rigid and you can be a little creative in how you make them work for you. There is also something cathartic about physical writing vs text input on a phone. One of the things the bullet site mentions is thaat if something isn't worth writing down, its probably not worth remembering, that sort of mentality is helping me avoid the signal to noise that is modern technology.

One of the de-stress things I've done that might be full nuke is to turn off all notifications on my phone except phone calls. I check SMS when I have time to. Its been really refreshing to detach that way and bullet journaling helps me still plan and organize my life that allows me to leave the phone in my pocket and avoid distraction. Plus doodling is fun.

That all said, you don't need a special notebook for it work. Anything will do. A dot grid does kinda help keep things neat, and quality paper is nice since part of the idea is that these things are permanent.

Sounds neat. I do need a new notebook, and the small ones are only like $4...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mike12345 posted:

No, you slack-jawed junkslut.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's a method of journaling, like shorthand but not as extreme.

I'll expand: It's a system of journaling that's focused on task completion and easy recollection and reflection, that's intended to be in an easily-readable format for an archive. This can greatly help people with depression or other mental health issues, and is a good tool for people to help stay organized. The fancy stencils and poo poo aren't required, and are more a part of a trend, but bullet journals have been around for awhile. When a psychotherapist tells you to "keep a journal," they're usually talking about something like a bullet journal (or similar). It focuses on short thoughts in list format, with easily readable and editable indexing that lets you quantify your accomplishments while still being able to see a timeline of past and future events. This can be extremely helpful to many people. Because it's a known system, it also makes the items and results shareable, and a person can ask for tips or view examples that line up exactly with what they're doing, versus making up a system on your own.

Since people tend to be visual organizers, stencils of shapes for certain sections are a great way to make it easy to review the past parts of the journal by flipping through, that's all. You can also do it freehand, or on lined paper. But graph or dotted graph paper is a bit easier to freeform things, which is a benefit with the way the bullet journal system has you organize things.

Since we live in a capitalistic society, whenever an old concept catches on and gets a few daytime TV spots, there will be a spike in purchasing, and manufacturers and sellers will capitalize on the trend. That's all. What a shock, I know.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

mike12345 posted:

Dotted journals have been around for a while. They just happen to work well with the bullet journalling style.

I decided to give it a shot because i am an organisational nightmare and tapping lists into touch devices doesn't work for me. Something about the act of physically putting pen to paper makes remembering and collating data much more straightforward. I have notes and notebooks everywhere so I decided to try bullet journalling to centralise and order all my lists and schemes and poo poo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So it's a notebook, gotcha thanks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

So it's a notebook, gotcha thanks.

with dots!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It’s not weird at all!

*brokebrain posters aggressively come out of the woodwork to write eight paras about a notebook*

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Death gots yer tits!

http://s.aliexpress.com/vmiQN73y

Pipe cleaner with googly eyes: Magic!

http://s.aliexpress.com/bQzeUzEF

Bored fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 23, 2018

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

poisonpill posted:

I'm looking to buy a whole bunch of big bulk lab created gems, like you'd find in a cartoon pirate chest or crown jewels or something.

Can Ali Baba help me out? How do I navigate this site?

I bought a bag of these a while ago: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50pcs-5-3-0-12mm-Round-Brilliant-Cut-Red-Gems-Synthetic-Ruby-Stone-For-Jewelry-DIY/32663151263.html
Should be synthetic ruby - the colour is right, the pointy end scratches glass with ease, and so far I haven't managed to scratch them with anything (tried glass, ceramic tile, pavement, and silica sandpaper). They aren't super big but you could always find a small ornamental chest?

I gave half to some friends as a present, to use as counters in a board game. Not sure what I'll do with the others but it's nice knowing I have a small pile of rubies.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bummey posted:

It's an extremely involved way of managing your generalized anxiety disorder.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
[13:43:32] <&Sormus> loving aliexpress
[13:43:44] <&Sormus> i have to write a POA for myself so i can get a packet from the post
[13:44:06] <&Sormus> They misspelled my name (or Post office couldnt make sense of their writing so they guessed, we'll see) so I have to, according to the desk clerk, forge a poa for myself from this person that doesn't exist

*edit*
Got the packet from mail. It has my actual name on it, clearly printed. Not this random Jukka person Post argues that it totally should be the recipient

Sormus fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 23, 2018

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Haha I didn't see that there was another page before I posted that.

eSporks posted:

I was having some severe anxiety and stress issues, a lot of it caused by social media and technology integration.

Better than alprazolam!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Bored posted:

Pipe cleaner with googly eyes: Magic!

http://s.aliexpress.com/bQzeUzEF

Apparently you aren't aware of the true magic of Mr. Fuzzy.

https://youtu.be/V7JXg0ZlZYo

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I remember begging my folks for one of those Mr. Fuzzy things when I was a kid, maybe in second or third grade. Then they vanished from the market until I was an adult with a kid in first or second grade, and the jaded part of me saw how they were aiming for the "OMG I loved this when I was a kid! My child must have one to love, too!" part of my brain.

If my kid wants one, he can dig around in my parents' basement for mine.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I think I need to check myself into Pick's sperg thread because when I saw Mr. Fuzzy, all I thought was eyeballs getting stuck in my pipes.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

poisonpill posted:

I'm looking to buy a whole bunch of big bulk lab created gems, like you'd find in a cartoon pirate chest or crown jewels or something.

These are popular for scattering on tables at weddings

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180423080850&SearchText=scatter+gems

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Writing things down takes them of you mind. That's nothing new, but if it helps, I am glad for you. It would never work for me because I can't decipher my own handwriting after 2 days max.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s funny to me that people will go through all that trouble to make a fancy journal but need a stencil to draw an arrow or a house shape.

Do your own symbol doodles, it’ll look so much better!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

poisonpill posted:

What are they for? Would plastic ones do?
http://s.aliexpress.com/bARZ32iQ

Or do you need bigger glass crystal thingies?
http://s.aliexpress.com/ZB7rUjam

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Snowy posted:

It’s funny to me that people will go through all that trouble to make a fancy journal but need a stencil to draw an arrow or a house shape.

Do your own symbol doodles, it’ll look so much better!

The inherent problem with the guides you see for bullet journals is that they are done by people who want to show off their bullet journals. The people who just normally use their journals without painting a god drat mural on every page aren't instagramming it to the masses. The main reason I wanted the stencils was for the easy standard size squares and geometric shapes that I could draw on multiple pages without having to spend additional time drawing each side with a ruler and turn a 20 minute exercise into a 2 minute exercise.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You don't need a special notebook, or special stencils. You could use a crayon on binder paper if you really wanted to. It's definitely something that has been swooped up by marketing.

If stencils make it more enjoyable and relaxing for you, then by all means go for it. That's sort of the point.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
It's not cool to call it scrapbooking anymore

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Scrapbooking looks to be an entirely different thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sex Robot posted:

The inherent problem with the guides you see for bullet journals is that they are done by people who want to show off their bullet journals. The people who just normally use their journals without painting a god drat mural on every page aren't instagramming it to the masses. The main reason I wanted the stencils was for the easy standard size squares and geometric shapes that I could draw on multiple pages without having to spend additional time drawing each side with a ruler and turn a 20 minute exercise into a 2 minute exercise.

i have no horses in this race but do you really need a ruler or a stencil to draw a square

on a piece of graph paper

do you really

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

brocked posted:

It's not cool to call it scrapbooking anymore

From what I can tell, scapbooking is whole lot more crafty. At least when I see scrapbooking stuff it seems that way.

I like using stencils with my journal, but its not necessary by any means. Just like having a specific kind of journal isn't necessary. My journal is just a regular journal with lined paper. I use stencils because the shapes and what not looks better than what I do freehand. The stencils I've bought are around .40 -.50 a piece, so its not like I'm putting a lot of money out for it.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

i have no horses in this race but do you really need a ruler or a stencil to draw a square

on a piece of graph paper

do you really

Bullet journaling is really just stimming, and that's fine, it works really well for some people.

Personally I just have a couple google keep notes for "short term to-do", "long term to-do", "groceries", "things to buy" and just shuffle things around and check them off

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I bet it'll feel amazing when you check off those 10,958 problems

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Mondian posted:

I bet it'll feel amazing when you check off those 10,958 problems

Dude don't even get me started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ruC5A9EzzE

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

If we're talking digital solutions, I personally prefer org-mode. It's great as your own personal wiki, keeping track of projects, todo lists, or as a diary. It's super versatile, and the skies the limit in terms of functionalty, but you probably need to be a little bit of a nerd to get into it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

of course it's for emacs

anyway bullet journals are like day planners except you draw the days yourself which means they can be pretty if you're an overachiever who has that kind of energy

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
So if I accomplish and plan more things in a day I can fill my trapper keeper with gold stars?

Ya know.... I can gently caress with that.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

you can go ahead and fill your trapper keeper with gold stars ahead of time if you think that'll motivate you more

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10p...2833151612.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i wanted some reusable grocery bags bc our store right across the street still does bag credits and also i'm tired of bringing home plastic bags so i bought some cute ones. they arrived in 13 days :confuoot: colors are a bit off on the one, though.

not sure if they'll ever be folded properly again :v:

i also got strawberry ones but they haven't arrived yet.