Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His comments about Wonder Woman were even whinier, because he was mad nobody was crediting him for ending sexism with Sarah Connor and Ripley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's insane how huge Avatar and Tim Burton's Alice movie were and then no one gave a gently caress about them the moment they left the theater.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

X-O posted:

There's no way it makes more money, but I imagine it'll easily be a better movie. The bar is pretty low on that one.

I bet Infinity war makes more domestic, but goddamn how in gods name did Avatar do 2.78 Billion worldwide.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dexo posted:

I bet Infinity war makes more domestic, but goddamn how in gods name did Avatar do 2.78 Billion worldwide.

It was really loving pretty.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

IMAX tickets are more expensive and lots of people saw it more than once.

But I know what you mean; it's weird that it could be so huge and doesn't really get talked about any more. Look at rest of the all-time top five: Titanic, The Force Awakens and The Avengers all feel like bigger movies in retrospect; Jurassic World being as huge as it was is also strange to me but kids will always love dinosaurs, I suppose.

JT Smiley posted:

It's insane how huge Avatar and Tim Burton's Alice movie were and then no one gave a gently caress about them the moment they left the theater.

The Tim Burton Alice movie is why Disney does all these live-action adaptations of its old animated movies. And now TIm Burton is making a Dumbo movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dexo posted:

It's a simple story that doesn't get lost in translation. And yeah, Avatar is derivative as hell, but it's super entertaining because it hits all the right beats in all the right places.

Cythereal posted:

It was really loving pretty.

This too. Avatar was like a big budget tech demo. And I loved it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There have been a few good articles on how Avatar was a "forgotbuster", how it left no cultural footprint, and how it was basically forgotten 5 years after release.

Avengers 3 or 4 has a chance to beat its worldwide record I think.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Avatar was fun because it was like an adventure in a cool world when 3D was new. It also had really really good 3D imo, much better than a lot of movies even now. The story was just an excuse for you to see more of the spectacle

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The reason Avatar's 3D looks really good compared to most other 3D movies is because 1) Cameron is like the one director who has a real solid grasp on filming poo poo in stereoscopic 3D, and 2) it was filmed with a 3D "Fusion Camera" that Cameron and Sony developed. Most movies released in 3D aren't even filmed in 3D. They're just post-converted. Wikipedia has a list of films that were filmed using the Fusion Camera https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_Camera_System

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That article posted:

Heck, King Kong, which opened on the same weekend in 2005, actually suffered due to overly rave reviews since it had pundits thinking it would actually challenge Titanic for similar box office and Oscar glory.

Did it really? :confused:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

One man makes a negative comment about superhero movies and ya'll spend two pages being salty about it, up to and including insulting his dick size.

Maaaaybe you are all over reacting a tiny bit.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Man, I really wish that Korg joke at the end of Ragnarok had gotten scrapped. Very few jokes in the MCU are notably poor imo, but man is that one of them. It takes me out of the movie.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

Man, I really wish that Korg joke at the end of Ragnarok had gotten scrapped. Very few jokes in the MCU are notably poor imo, but man is that one of them. It takes me out of the movie.

The foundations one?

Yeah, it was a mistake.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thy could have fixed so much by just removing that one line, yes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It works really well with what the movie's about.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dan Didio posted:

It works really well with what the movie's about.

The "foundations" line isn't actually the problem, it's the one after Asgard blows up, which just pointlessly restates the punchline and kills the moment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah the explosion is already the punchline.

I mean audiences are stupid, but not that stupid.

McCloud posted:

One man makes a negative comment about superhero movies and ya'll spend two pages being salty about it, up to and including insulting his dick size.

Haha, of course you didn't even read the article.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Apparently the Infinity War premiere is tonight. Time to delete the internet.

It's insane how little has been spoiled about this movie so far.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There have been a few good articles on how Avatar was a "forgotbuster", how it left no cultural footprint, and how it was basically forgotten 5 years after release.

Avengers 3 or 4 has a chance to beat its worldwide record I think.

It has a zero chance of beating Avatar or coming even close in foreign gross. I mean even if it doubled the highest foreign grossing MCU movie to date it still wouldn’t be there. It’s not even gonna get close.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Arist posted:

The "foundations" line isn't actually the problem, it's the one after Asgard blows up, which just pointlessly restates the punchline and kills the moment.

I like it, it fits Korg.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah the explosion is already the punchline.

I mean audiences are stupid, but not that stupid.

Haha, of course you didn't even read the article.

I did in fact read the article. That's why I'm surprised to see such reaction considering his comment was a fairly innocuous

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Little Mac posted:

Apparently the Infinity War premiere is tonight. Time to delete the internet.

It's insane how little has been spoiled about this movie so far.
I’m glad I have a Saturday ticket because there’s no way i don’t get accidentally spoiled on something if i see it much later than that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Remember when James Cameron was gonna do Spider-Man?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

Arnold was going to play Doc Ock. He was going to have a wimpy sidekick who he bullied throughout the movie, his catchphrase was going to be, "Okey-dokey, then," and his robot arms were going to be referred to exclusively as "weldoes" (and yes, I know that those are a real thing; it doesn't make the idea of Arnold Schwarzenegger talking about nis weldoes any less amusing).

The showrunner for the Spider-Man cartoon was told not to bother with the origin story because that would be covered in the movie. I'm not unconvinced that Doc Ock has an indeterminate Central European accent and is ridiculously jacked for an atomic researcher in that show because he was going to be played be Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie (also: imagine Arnold with that haircut).

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

That sounds like something I want very dearly

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

McCloud posted:

One man (who is an insanely rich and talented filmmaker) makes a negative comment about superhero movies (that they are all the same) and we spend two pages being salty about it (or more accurately pointing out that his only plans for future films are sequels to his passion project, which itself was criticized for being narratively derivative to the point of cliche, cause we rarely have something to talk about in this thread beyond rehashing old fanboy arguments), up to and including insulting his dick size (well, one goon did that, and Jame's Cameron's manhood must be defended, on this dead comedy forum).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The guy who can't let a single bad thing be said about DC movies to the point that it got the thread a topic ban chiding others for having thin skin is too much irony for this early in the morning.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kai Tave posted:

The guy who can't let a single bad thing be said about DC movies to the point that it got the thread a topic ban chiding others for having thin skin is too much irony for this early in the morning.

He's also currently in Debate and Discussion in the U.S. politics thread talking about anti-Zack Snyder bias because someone offhandedly said that comic and war movies all end up power fantasies and glorifying their subject even if they are intended to be negative.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's also currently in Debate and Discussion in the U.S. politics thread talking about Zack Snyder because someone offhandedly said that comic and war movies all end up power fantasies and glorifying their subject even if they are intended to be negative.

Ha, that's amazing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

He's also currently in Debate and Discussion in the U.S. politics thread talking about anti-Zack Snyder bias because someone offhandedly said that comic and war movies all end up power fantasies and glorifying their subject even if they are intended to be negative.

I'm pretty sure you're confusing me with someone else, I don't even follow the US pol thread at all. I do lurk in the trump thread, and rarely post there, but I haven't made any post in D&D for over a month. I I vaguely recall a conversation about comic books having authoritarian tendencies in the Trump thread about a weekish ago (so about 160 pages ago) , but it wasn't something I was involved in.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 23, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

McCloud posted:

I'm pretty sure you're confusing me with someone else, I haven't posted in the us pol thread for weeks.

Doh, you're right. Sorry.

It was Snowman_Mck who got very upset and decided to start talking about anti-Zack Snyder bias in D&D in response to someone else making that comment.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

He was going to play Skip?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

It was Snowman_Mck who got very upset and decided to start talking about anti-Zack Snyder bias in D&D in response to someone else making that comment.

That guy camps in CineD so that's not surprising.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/988447670623584256

This is way into the future, but interesting to hear.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/988447670623584256

This is way into the future, but interesting to hear.

Sounds like the Fox deal has fallen through and they don't want to go back to the Inhuman well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

quote:

Multiple screenwriters have taken meetings and have been asked to come up with a story that focuses on the female Eternal known as Sersi, (no, not the character on “Game of Thrones”), several insiders have told TheWrap.

According to Marvel.com, Sersi can manipulate cosmic energy to grant herself virtual immortality, invulnerability, and reshape the molecules of other people or objects.

Okay so with the doom movie and molecule woman here we're gearing up for secret wars

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like the Fox deal has fallen through and they don't want to go back to the Inhuman well.

lol what

This has literally nothing to do with the Fox deal either way

like I keep saying: fanboy tribalism wrapped in a thin veneer of academic leftist jargon

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 23, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

lol what

This has literally nothing to do with the Fox deal either way

You need to get your sarcasm detectors cleaned out.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

You need to get your sarcasm detectors cleaned out.

whoops!

Sorry, I've seen too much terrible "rumor"/speculation about Fox/Marvel stuff from people who clearly don't have the slightest understanding of how massive corporate mergers or Hollywood in general work. guess it's gone to my head :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

whoops!

Sorry, I've seen too much terrible "rumor"/speculation about Fox/Marvel stuff from people who clearly don't have the slightest understanding of how massive corporate mergers or Hollywood in general work. guess it's gone to my head :(

I mean, :10bux: says that theory shows up on social media by the end of the day.

• Locked thread