Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Rocksicles posted:

I don't think it's possible to travel a trillion light years. My PBS space time sense is tingling.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Would'nt trillions of lightyears basically put you on the other side of the universe?

Rocksicles posted:

That's not making a whole lot of sense.though. Trillions of light years away puts you in another galaxy, so looking at the stars only tells you were you aren't, by a factor of fucktons.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Definitely. The farthest known galaxy is 13.3 billion light years away.

I thought when I said "trillions of lightyears or whatever" I was just over exaggerating because I remembered all those conversations where people throw around billion and trillion when talking about miles but I checked the start of Episode 3.

quote:

If this is Earth and This is Alpha Centauri (10-15 foot distance) Then we are......metaphorically maybe a....600 year drive away? Maybe?
Okay, so not metaphorically?
Trillions of Lightyears.

Since our closest neighboring galaxy is 2.5 million lightyears away a quick glimpse that you aren't in the Milky Way anymore would totally let you claim "We are millions of lightyears off course" but I'm pretty sure it's just bad science from the writers where "Millions" didn't seem like a big enough number when asking "How lost are we?" They wanted to raise the stakes and bumped it up to "trillions" not realizing Maureen couldn't possibly know that and it puts them 200x further away than the edge of the known universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Everything about this show is hilarious and bad.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Needless to say I kinda love it. I still think they should have done a retro future thing and played it completely straight.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Needless to say I kinda love it. I still think they should have done a retro future thing and played it completely straight.

A robot toaster dog would have made this show infinitely better that's for sure.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Would'nt trillions of lightyears basically put you on the other side of the universe?

Well the observable universe is 90 billion in diameter.... so... math + math + math = math^3.

Yep, checks out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I thought when I said "trillions of lightyears or whatever" I was just over exaggerating because I remembered all those conversations where people throw around billion and trillion when talking about miles but I checked the start of Episode 3.

Since our closest neighboring galaxy is 2.5 million lightyears away a quick glimpse that you aren't in the Milky Way anymore would totally let you claim "We are millions of lightyears off course" but I'm pretty sure it's just bad science from the writers where "Millions" didn't seem like a big enough number when asking "How lost are we?" They wanted to raise the stakes and bumped it up to "trillions" not realizing Maureen couldn't possibly know that and it puts them 200x further away than the edge of the known universe.

It's the one thins that bugs me about the show, i'm all in apart from the astronomical measurements.

let's take it to the numbers.

Universe is 13.8 billion years old.
Observable universe is 46 billion ish light years in radius, give or take.
The oldest galaxy ever found is like 35 billion light years away and the light we see from it, was about 400 million years old...that's 331,125,566,540,328,000,000,000 Kilometers or 3.31126 x 10^23 Kilometers

Lost in Space's planet is let's say a trillion light years away... that's 9,460,730,472,580,800,000,000,000 Kilometers or 9.46073 x 10^24 Kilometers

The best guess of the unobservable universe is about 6 sextillion times the size of the current observable universe. so 5.58 x10^32, which i think is something something nonillion light years.....

Mind boggling, i need a lie down.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rocksicles posted:

It's the one thins that bugs me about the show, i'm all in apart from the astronomical measurements.

let's take it to the numbers.

In the original show, the Jupiter 2 was said to travel at near light speed (stating it would take about 5 years to get to Alpha Centauri). The Robot was programmed to destroy the ship eight hours after launch. This would have put them just outside the solar system and they could probably have been able to return to earth.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Math is all well and good, but Retro Sci Fi Orange is better

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i never saw the original but put the first episode of this on in the background while i was falling asleep and i hated how much crying and whining there was. had to turn it down a few times. was expecting something chill like the orville. looks very pretty tho

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

conventionalcat posted:

i never saw the original but put the first episode of this on in the background while i was falling asleep and i hated how much crying and whining there was. had to turn it down a few times. was expecting something chill like the orville. looks very pretty tho

In the original, the family sacked up and accepted their fate and made the most of the situation vowing to get home one day.

They didn't, of course, but there you go.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Mister Kingdom posted:

In the original show, the Jupiter 2 was said to travel at near light speed (stating it would take about 5 years to get to Alpha Centauri). The Robot was programmed to destroy the ship eight hours after launch. This would have put them just outside the solar system and they could probably have been able to return to earth.

I've seen a good number of the original episodes, as when I was a kid they'd show it daily on USA network. Why was the robot supposed to blow up the ship? Seems silly and wasteful.

I'm under the impression watching this that the idea was that you were supposed to just land your Jupiter on the new planet and that would be your house, and I caught them referring to the lower deck on the ship as "the basement" a few times.

I feel like all these wealthy families moving to the new planet would want a nicer looking house after a while, because they'd want to show up everyone else. Maybe like they could buy someone else's Jupiter and park it on top of their Jupiter to make a 6 story Jupiter

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

criscodisco posted:

I've seen a good number of the original episodes, as when I was a kid they'd show it daily on USA network. Why was the robot supposed to blow up the ship? Seems silly and wasteful.

Dr. Smith was working for some unknown agency and was instructed to program the Robot to destroy the ship at the eight hour mark. We never learned who they were or what their reasons were.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

conventionalcat posted:

I don't think "Isn't great to fall asleep to" is necessarily a negative for the show. They throw stuff at you like people almost dying while freaking out or ships exploding and crashing from orbit to try and keep you interested for the pilot. They are going to blare the music as someone dramatically does something.

Maybe watch COSMOS?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Mister Kingdom posted:

Dr. Smith was working for some unknown agency and was instructed to program the Robot to destroy the ship at the eight hour mark. We never learned who they were or what their reasons were.

Oh ok I thought you meant that was the original robot's programming from the beginning, like their mission was to get to the planet and then be like "oh poo poo get everything off the ship and run like hell"

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

I believe the reasons were essentially just an extension of the space race that was actually occurring in the world at the time. Essentially, all the major countries of the world are attempting to colonize space and so another country is just trying to prevent American from doing it.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Yeah I believe in the original series they were just lost space pioneers that had set out for the space frontier to stake a space claim and some people wanted to stop them. I checked the wiki because of course there is a wiki.

quote:

Aeolus 14 Umbra is the code name for an organization which attempted to sabotage the Jupiter program. It is implied that they are agents of a foreign nation who do not want the space colonization program of the United States to succeed.
The announcer at Alpha Control in "The Reluctant Stowaway" mentions other nations,., and in "The Derelict" the TV Announcer broadcasts that the Robot's premature activation was undoubtedly caused by agents of a foreign power. Whatever nation it is, it has full space capability, given Smith's belief that the ship seen in "The Derelict" was from Aeolus 14 Umbra, attempting to contact it.

It wasn't until the 98 movie where the stakes were raised to HUMANITY IS DYING but the bad guys wanted the last hope of humanity for themselves so they sabotaged the mission to save everyone

quote:

Global Sedition is an Earth-based organization. Its members disagree with the methods of the United Global Space Force. They are willing to commit acts of sabotage and terrorism in order to further their goals, to create their own Hypergate and reach Alpha Prime before the Jupiter Mission

quote:

The unproduced second film would have involved the Robinson's reaching Alpha Prime, only to discover the Sedition had already colonized that world.

So I'll give the 2018 series points for coming up with a more interesting idea. We shoot down some aliens and jack their poo poo and they try to take it back. Humanity isn't in danger of going extinct but Earth is now Detroit and most people trying to leave for Space Hawaii.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 21, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Yeah I believe in the original series they were just lost space pioneers that had set out for the space frontier to stake a space claim and some people wanted to stop them. I checked the wiki because of course there is a wiki.

It wasn't until the 98 movie where the stakes were raised to HUMANITY IS DYING but the bad guys wanted the last hope of humanity for themselves so they sabotaged the mission to save everyone

So I'll give the 2018 series points for coming up with a more interesting idea. We shoot down some aliens and jack their poo poo and they try to take it back. Humanity isn't in danger of going extinct but Earth is now Detroit and most people trying to leave for Space Hawaii. Vancouver

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
As soon as the robot walked off the cliff I sort of lost interest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I binged through this show just so I could get it over with. It started out interested but the stupidity kept getting more and more frustrating. It wasn't until the satellite dish that I started hate watching it. I was bored by their conversation and thought "Heh, it would be kind of dumb if that dish fell down and trapped them." Then when they are done talking, It loving happens. The rest of the show from then on was me thinking up the dumbest thing that could happen, and then it does. Why can't they find real reasons for there to be conflict. You can't go to "all the characters are really stupid and always do the dumbest option" every single time. Will gets people killed like four times but then "lol deus ex machina everything's actually fine" right at the end of the episode. People constantly avoid telling anyone anything because that's the only way to keep a suspenseful plot thread going. I thought Smith was actually kind of smart at first, when she was letting Don create her backstory for her, but then she just keeps getting dumber and dumber.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 22, 2018

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
The first episode of this show involves a spaceship, built by the best and brightest, that has its “lifeboats” located on the inside of a rotating structure. In order to successfully escape danger the ships must navigate through a maze of rotating support beams. It goes about as well as you can imagine.

The show is basically Galt’s Gulch in space but with the caveat that all the supposed competent people have been replaced by morons.

Best part so far was the family who, after setting up their perimeter defenses to keep them safe from wild animals, reminisce about the one they had back home that kept them safe from the marauding underclass who didn’t live in a sprawling futuristic show home.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

ozmunkeh posted:

Best part so far was the family who, after setting up their perimeter defenses to keep them safe from wild animals, reminisce about the one they had back home that kept them safe from the marauding underclass who didn’t live in a sprawling futuristic show home.

I liked the original force field generator better:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I decided to throw on the Lost in Space movie with Joey in it and the first few minutes is hilarious. It's 2058 and they are sending the Robinsons to Alpha Prime through a coordination of the US Army and Silicon Graphics. SGI went bankrupt 11 years after this movie came out. lol

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cojawfee posted:

I decided to throw on the Lost in Space movie with Joey in it and the first few minutes is hilarious. It's 2058 and they are sending the Robinsons to Alpha Prime through a coordination of the US Army and Silicon Graphics. SGI went bankrupt 11 years after this movie came out. lol

And the monkey flips the switch.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

lmao, the 90s had a overly optimistic view of the future

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Mister Kingdom posted:

And the monkey flips the switch.

This cold war just got hot.

i like the 98 movie, even though it was very dumb a lot of the time.

i like the netflix show even though it was exasperatingly dumb a lot of the time.

you could almost always tell what they were trying to do, and why the story beats were happening - they were just very bad at presenting those things as written on the screen.

Like early on when will is up the tree, but somehow doesn't see the robot while climbing.. and then is.. trapped? by the robot? even though it can't move. and doesn't move for long enough that the sun goes down and the forest can burn. i guess cos he couldn't go down cos he was scared of the legs? but was also scared of the top that was next to him but never once moved.

you can see what the story wanted to do, they just never managed to.. bring it all together mechanically. and that happens over and over.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lord Bob posted:

you can see what the story wanted to do, they just never managed to.. bring it all together mechanically. and that happens over and over.

It's like each writer was assigned a character and not told what anyone else was doing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They never said they traveled in a straight line.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
This show might be significantly better if it wasn’t on Netflix and had a run time limitation. Each episode creeps between an hour and an hour fifteen. Having to make a ~45 minute network time would have helped with the pacing and probably removed one pointless crisis per episode.

Another major improvement would be to just add some fun to the show. It’s all darkness and crisis all the time. Slow poo poo down a bit. Have them deal with a problem that isn’t world ending. Don’t have four fake outs of “the crisis is ov...oh wait another bad thing happened.” By the end of it you just want the episode to be over already.

It feels like there’s a lot of potential here and could have been some good set pieces. It just felt as if everything dragged out and it was nothing but doom and gloom. Just have an episode where they explore and deal with minor hazards because they are on a alien planet for fucks sake.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I did the same the other night and I still don't hate it. BUT holy moly the cgi is real bad. Green screens everywhere and terribly done, but Spider Smith takes the loving cake. How did anybody see that and think it was ok to inflict on all of us?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I had to stop halfway through. I could handle it for a while, but then the bad CGI monkey shows up and I checked out.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cojawfee posted:

I had to stop halfway through. I could handle it for a while, but then the bad CGI monkey shows up and I checked out.

There was a throwaway line that pissed me off where Major West announced that the Chariot and Space Pod were destroyed when the Jupiter 2 crash landed.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Why did the Bad CGI Monkey even exist? From what I remember 2 nights ago it didn't serve any narrative purpose, it was just a lovely looking piece of poo poo.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Merchandising!

Jar Jar was 1 year later.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 23, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Inspector 34 posted:

Why did the Bad CGI Monkey even exist? From what I remember 2 nights ago it didn't serve any narrative purpose, it was just a lovely looking piece of poo poo.

An homage:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Braincloud posted:

Writers? There are no writers for this show!

So this is from the same creators as Designated Survivor then?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the theme song for this show should be 'Walk This Way' by Aerosmith except instead of "walk this way" the lyrics go "lost in space"

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Dolphin posted:

I think the theme song for this show should be 'Walk This Way' by Aerosmith except instead of "walk this way" the lyrics go "lost in space"

:emptyquote:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Braincloud posted:

I think the point is these characters are all loving dumb and should all be sucked into the black hole. Except for the robot and Debbie. They need their own show.

It could be called Robot Chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I think if they write out Smith and focus on the larger plot mystery and coupled that with some survival as a family kind of stuff, season 2 might be decent.
Smith is a villain whose superpower is incredible plot convenience, and it's eye-rolling to watch. No one is manipulated by a proven liar and con-artist in a sneered line.
The line at the end where the show seems to understand Smith's manipulations are stupid and reaching (where she's trying to split up Maureen from John) might have worked if your whole season up til then was about that same technique working.

• Locked thread