Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MasterSlowPoke posted:

When you were playing ITC games, I studied the core rules. When you were having netlists made, I mastered the Deep Strike. While you wasted your days at the hobby store in pursuit of fun, I cultivated inner strength. And now that the world is on fire and the barbarians are at the gate you have the audacity to come to me for help?

It's tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DancingShade posted:

It was the easiest victory I ever had and my army was objectively poo poo in comparison. The idea of deploying all your stuff at point blank range in charge distance of your opponent sounds great until you realize that perhaps there are some armies practically begging you to do that.

Not to mention the part where you're paying a significant price (both points and money) to drop a bunch of eggs with a boltgun on top. There's so many better stratagems and units with DS built in that it's not even funny.

It would be cool IMO if drop pods were changed into semi-mobile fortifications, with cover, bonuses to units garrisoned inside, etc., would also be fun to see some fluffy Imperial Fist drop pods that are basically just falling egg fortresses.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

Not to mention the part where you're paying a significant price (both points and money) to drop a bunch of eggs with a boltgun on top. There's so many better stratagems and units with DS built in that it's not even funny.

It would be cool IMO if drop pods were changed into semi-mobile fortifications, with cover, bonuses to units garrisoned inside, etc., would also be fun to see some fluffy Imperial Fist drop pods that are basically just falling egg fortresses.

I like the idea of deep striking a reinforced drop pod that doubles as a strong point / fire base you can actually crew.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pods being cheap and Dreadnoughts being able to use them again would be nice.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I like using my Trygon prime tunnels to bring along 20 devourer Termagants. 60 shots and a monstrous creature in your face wherever I want? 120 with some CP? Totally worth it. 'Drop pod' spores just seem not to be worth the cost.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Pods being cheap and Dreadnoughts being able to use them again would be nice.

I know, someone from my FLGS me three pods on Sprues for $25 each, but I can't justify the purchase, even though I absolutely love the look of drop pods. Sigh.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
gently caress painting them, too.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lungboy posted:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

bird food bathtub posted:

I like using my Trygon prime tunnels to bring along 20 devourer Termagants. 60 shots and a monstrous creature in your face wherever I want? 120 with some CP? Totally worth it. 'Drop pod' spores just seem not to be worth the cost.

I loved this combo until I kept running into screens and could never use those shots on worthwhile targets.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lungboy posted:

This!!!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

ToyotaThong posted:

Fashion Time

Bad at 40k. Bad at fashion!

what a handsome young man

0/10 no tantalus

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

My friend, if you think what my Dark Eldar need is to be more fragile, I don't know what to tell you

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
By the way, since Blood Angels have shown up a number of times here I figured this would be worth sharing:

Gunpla wings pack that's coming out soon, multiple balljoints for easy posing before using greenstuff to hide said joints, should be useful for librarian dreadnoughts, though they're likely way too large for infantry.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

By the way, since Blood Angels have shown up a number of times here I figured this would be worth sharing:

Gunpla wings pack that's coming out soon, multiple balljoints for easy posing before using greenstuff to hide said joints, should be useful for librarian dreadnoughts, though they're likely way too large for infantry.

Muh Celestine waifu will soar!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Wow, those look spectacularly not at all like something in warhammer.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booley posted:

Wow, those look spectacularly not at all like something in warhammer.

They're pretty similar to whoever's librarian dread was linked in her a while ago, who had similar pure white wings.

It would be a pretty simple conversion; cut off the backpack pegs, greenstuff over the balljoints, connect the piece gaps, sculpt some feathers over said gaps (large feathers are extremely easy to sculpt), and you're set.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hey Primaris nerds; how have Plasma Inceptors been working out for folks? This is the 1K list I'm currently goofing around with:

Blood Angels Battalion (8 CP)
HQ: Gravis Captain
HQ: Primaris Lt w/ Power Sword

T: 5x Intercessor w/ Chainsword, Grenade Launcher

FA: 6x Inceptor w/ Plasma Exterminator

HS: 5x Hellblasters w/ Plasma Incinerators

Not the greatest against hordes but it adds up to 1000.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey Primaris nerds; how have Plasma Inceptors been working out for folks? This is the 1K list I'm currently goofing around with:

Blood Angels Battalion (8 CP)
HQ: Gravis Captain
HQ: Primaris Lt w/ Power Sword

FA: 6x Inceptor w/ Plasma Exterminator

HS: 5x Hellblasters w/ Plasma Incinerators

Not the greatest against hordes but it adds up to 1000.

They run the gamut between unstoppable gods of death and a literal squib.

Like it hurts when a hellblasters tops themself and these bastards cost almost twice as much.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Plasmaceptors are better with DA where you can give them the 3-damage stratagem. It's hard to know how useful they'll be in a post-FAQ world since their main value was dropping in and blowing something away early doors, although I think there's still value to be had from them.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I haven’t looked into Inceptors assembly much, particularly the plasma cabling - would magnetizing the weapons work at all or are those cables a big problem?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Plasmaceptors are better with DA where you can give them the 3-damage stratagem. It's hard to know how useful they'll be in a post-FAQ world since their main value was dropping in and blowing something away early doors, although I think there's still value to be had from them.

If he's taking Blood Angels he can at least get them into position turn 1 with Upon Wings of Fire, but would obviously be giving up the chance at having rerolls by doing so which is probably a dealbreaker with plasma.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Corrode posted:

I've been tempted to try them still though. With Speed of the Raven it's super easy to get into blasting range with bikes turn 1, and can follow up with a charge after if I want, but bikes can also get shot up pretty easy if I can't close the distance, and dropping a squad of 6 with character support, even on turn two, sounds like a great way to clear out vehicles hiding in a corner.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

They're pretty similar to whoever's librarian dread was linked in her a while ago, who had similar pure white wings.

It would be a pretty simple conversion; cut off the backpack pegs, greenstuff over the balljoints, connect the piece gaps, sculpt some feathers over said gaps (large feathers are extremely easy to sculpt), and you're set.

That would, in fact, be my librarian dread. I appreciate you telling me how my dread looks though!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booley posted:

That would, in fact, be my librarian dread. I appreciate you telling me how my dread looks though!

You did a good job, kudos

Just saying, they look fine and would just need minimal tooling to hide articulation. Warhammer's had pretty much every variety of angel wings from "realistic bird wings" to "metal blades welded to a golden frame" anyways.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PantsOptional posted:

I haven’t looked into Inceptors assembly much, particularly the plasma cabling - would magnetizing the weapons work at all or are those cables a big problem?

The weapon arms are totally separate so the easiest thing to do is find an extra set of shoulder pads so you don't have to do any cutting and can just swap the entire arm assemblies.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
I'm getting into 40k for the first time, and I'm thinking of picking up Tyranids. 1) Are they a good army for people starting off? 2) Doing a little research the first things I want to buy are two of the Starter box and possibly a Hive Tyrant. How would you spend your first $400?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

You did a good job, kudos

Just saying, they look fine and would just need minimal tooling to hide articulation. Warhammer's had pretty much every variety of angel wings from "realistic bird wings" to "metal blades welded to a golden frame" anyways.

But these wings aren't any of those. They're vaguely modern-artifical. They're clearly not organic or angelic, but they're also not the overwrought mechanical wings that you see from the imperium, or the high tech wings you get from eldar.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Booley posted:

But these wings aren't any of those. They're vaguely modern-artifical. They're clearly not organic or angelic, but they're also not the overwrought mechanical wings that you see from the imperium, or the high tech wings you get from eldar.

They're also gigantic compared to the typical 40k miniature. 1/144 gundams are about 15cm (ish) tall and those wings are big even for them.

Maybe if you wanted to put wings on a knight or riptide but they're going to be off scale for everything else.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
the actual wings are ugly

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PantsOptional posted:

The plasma cables are a bitch. You could probably do something cool by cutting them off and adding more bottles from the Hellblaster kit or something. You would need more shoulder pads.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, had my first game with my Thousand Sons army vs an AdMech army. (First time facing admech)

Those new baby Knights are brutal. I was against whatever Forgeworld gives their units FNP and it was a slaughter. Highlight of the match was the baby knight causing a daisy chain of exploding walkers that wiped out half the table, including Arhiman and my Knight Atrapos.

It was a fun game, but I am definitely at a loss. Turn 2 deepstrike definitely put me at a disadvantage with my strategy of dropping in a terminator squad, sorceror and rubricai squad. Other than that, it just felt like none of my units were doing particularly much. (Beside the atrapos, of course)

Does anyone have any tips for fighting admech? I definitely wasnt expecting to get shut down that hard, haha.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've seen conversions with everything short of used toilet paper, why are y'all giving this guy a hard time?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I've seen conversions with everything short of used toilet paper, why are y'all giving this guy a hard time?

The gundam wings? B&C is there if anyone needs non-stop praise no matter what.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Just curious, is there a discord or slack or something for 40k goonhams?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Asuron posted:

Hey guys, bit of help is required.

Currently putting some Rubric Marine models together. Am currently debating what to make their loadout in terms of weapons, but not sure on which is the most useful.

I'm tempted by the Soulreaper cannon, but I hear it's not really worth it so not really sure how to proceed.

Inferno Boltguns for your first squad with a Soulreaper cannon for if you’re running 10. It’s a good weapon. Warpflamers if you’re putting Rubrics in a rhino and with a specific purpose in mind.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm trying to decide where to take my collection next and decided to get real, real dorky with it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mango sentinel posted:

I'm trying to decide where to take my collection next and decided to get real, real dorky with it.

I mean, why even list the other three when one of the options is getting a goddamn Knight?

That being said, probably wait for the new Warlad that's coming out.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
There's been mumbling about Knights getting more than just the castellan for the new book so probably worth holding out on that.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Hmm, under Tau - Cons should have 'Makes me a giant weeaboo'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

mango sentinel posted:

It's a toss-up because there's 3 with robots, but those are also the 3 with magnetizing.

A real sophie's choice imo