Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Xun posted:

What was the book about an inquisitor on terra? I think people said it had more stuff about average life in the imperium like the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books
Carrion throne.

What's got even more about domestic imperial life though is the Shira Calpurnia series of books, available as the Enforcer omnibus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Bang3r posted:

I've read everything by Abnett and ADB now, help me find the next best author they have.

The stuff Guy Haley has been putting out over the past couple years has generally been excellent, with a few entries that were merely OK. He's the first author BL have that really seems to get how to write Blood Angels, for one. Baneblade and Shadowsword were also both extremely rad if you're into tank stuff at all. Dark Imperium was sort of boring but there were still some really entertaining parts. There's probably some other stuff but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Bang3r posted:

I've read everything by Abnett and ADB now, help me find the next best author they have.

It's Chris Wraight.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm reading Baneblade right now and it's a bit... weird. There's some strongly anti-40k themed decisions made early on. Who the gently caress risks a Baneblade to rescue ten prisoners who will likely die of planet-specific-disease anyways?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm reading Baneblade right now and it's a bit... weird. There's some strongly anti-40k themed decisions made early on. Who the gently caress risks a Baneblade to rescue ten prisoners who will likely die of planet-specific-disease anyways?

A regiment that comes from a planet that makes Baneblades?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Nemesis is at least conceptually great.

It suffers from BL going "This Horus Heresy series is doing gangbusters, boys! What else can we shoehorn into the timeline so the rubes will drop another sawbuck in our pocket?"

I imagine the BL management was a bunch of fast talking fat cats in pinstripe suits with gold watch chains, sitting in a smoky room, puffing on cigars.

(The book also suffers from having James Swallow writing it.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Immanentized posted:

A regiment that comes from a planet that makes Baneblades?
Are you sure you're familiar with 40k?

Even in reality the casualties incurred rescuing ten nearly dead dudes seemed to be somewhat disproportionate. "Somewhat".

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I've only read two of the Watchers of the Throne books, but it's cool that it's all set on Earth. I liked The Emperor's Legion since does some world building for the new statue quo in the 40k setting.

Both are by Wraight.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They lost something like a full Leman Russ company recovering the wreckage of Fortress of Arrogance and decided it was a net gain.

No baneblades are rescuing anyone who isn't an Inquisitor or High Lord of Terra.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Are you sure you're familiar with 40k?

Even in reality the casualties incurred rescuing ten nearly dead dudes seemed to be somewhat disproportionate. "Somewhat".

The frivolous use of the rare, irreplaceable monster tank seemed to be extremely 40k, especially since it's just a tank and its cargo of aristocratic, hacked off dudes going ham across this inordinately hostile world, with Ork psykers lurking around every corner.

If memory serves, they were after their techpriest, right? Gotta do right by the cogboys. The tank would be angry if you didn't grab its favorite oiler from the enemy.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 20, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Immanentized posted:

Sandy Mitchell, they're well made, if slightly repetitive. I'll defend it though. As it fits the style of a written memoir by a person who spent their life writing military reports.

Yeah, they're good. As a rule of thumb, never read more than three Caiaphas Cain books back to back. You will regret it.

Also, funny story: For the longest time, I thought Sandy Mitchell was a woman. When SA set me straight, I was severely disappointed. Nearly stopped reading his books, even. But they were good enough to draw me back in, eventually.

Edit:

I nearly wrote "her" books again, man I'm dumb

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Immanentized posted:

The frivolous use of the rare, irreplaceable monster tank seemed to be extremely 40k, especially since it's just a tank and its cargo of aristocratic, hacked off dudes going ham across this inordinately hostile world, with Ork psykers lurking around every corner.

If memory serves, they were after their techpriest, right? Gotta do right by the cogboys. The tank would be angry if you didn't grab its favorite oiler from the enemy.

No, this is at the early fakeout, where it's ten random grunts with dustlung being tortured by orks and the tank drives over nuclear mines to distract the orks while four other dudes get their Salamander shot up trying to rescue them.

TBH it's a loving stupid risk even in a real world context.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Azubah posted:

I've only read two of the Watchers of the Throne books, but it's cool that it's all set on Earth. I liked The Emperor's Legion since does some world building for the new statue quo in the 40k setting.

Both are by Wraight.

Wait, there is more than two? Actually, I only know of one, Emperor's Legion, I assume the 2nd one you refer to is Carrion Throne which has the title Vaults of Terra.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

No, this is at the early fakeout, where it's ten random grunts with dustlung being tortured by orks and the tank drives over nuclear mines to distract the orks while four other dudes get their Salamander shot up trying to rescue them.

TBH it's a loving stupid risk even in a real world context.

I see, this is absolutely Chimera work.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Immanentized posted:

I see, this is absolutely Chimera conscript work.

The most 40k solution.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or just leave them there and :commissar: them if they ever escape for being cowardly enough to be captured :shrug:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The thing about the Imperium in 40k is that it's not a cohesive nation. As long as it pays the tithe and worships the Emperor in an acceptable manner, each planet is free to do pretty much as they please, and develop their own culture and values.

Guard regiments are typically not mixed unless it's to fill up depleted ones. As such the regiment inherits the culture and values of their home planet or system.

For the Krieg a soldier is worth less than the lasgun he's carrying.
There's a great snippet in Dead Men Walking where the Krieg fights Necrons, and the guardsmen are instructed to toss their guns away when they get shot to make sure the guns are recoverable and not disintegrated by Gauss flayers.

On the other hand, the regiments we see with Gaunt and Cain value the lives of their soldiers much higher.

So to get back to Baneblade, they value the lives of their comrades highly enough to attempt a rescue, and their faith in their baneblade, a mars pattern one so it's even better than other baneblades, I'd absolutely. Crossing into arrogance most likely.
They believe their tank can handle whatever the Orks throws at them, and since they do, it's easy for the crew to justify to themselves that attempting the rescue is the correct course of action.

Opentarget
Mar 17, 2009
Isn't also part of the reason they go for the 10 dudes is that the main character is trying to get on the Emperor's good side after his homeworld shenanigans, and the tank commander is sort of disillusioned with the Imperium so is trying to find a better morality to motivate himself?

It struck me as less of "we have a super tank and value men's lives" compared to "I'm saving these guys for myself" sort of thing.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

I want to break into the Judge Dredd/2000AD "thing" but it seems like a lot of stuff to cover. Is there a good place to start?

Bit late to this, but there's a thread in BSS all about Dredd and 2000AD in general

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Listening to the new Imperator: Wrath of the Omnissiah audiobook, and I gotta say I enjoy Gav Thorpe taking a few paragraphs to explain his use of gender neutral pronouns and how they're in the story. It works well with the barely human mechanicus character, and it lends an air of futurism and post-humanity to the prose, which isn't the best- but is workable.

It did remind me of a negative aspect of the 40k fandom- all of a sudden, the neckbeardy types at work and in my social clubs, who previously expressed 0 interest in 40k hobby or lore are suddenly lamenting about the Es-Jay-Dubews ruining the setting. What gives, and how are all these dudes suddenly complaining about it? Is there some chud coordination method that I don't get?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Neo Nazis and fascists love 40k and think the imperium is the ideal future order. No they did not play during the rogue trader days

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Neo Nazis and fascists love 40k and think the imperium is the ideal future order. No they did not play during the rogue trader days

It's still pretty clear these days that the 41st millennium is not someplace you would ever want to live. The one thing uniting the fascists is that theyr'e all incredibly dumb so they don't have the reading comprehension to understand this, apparently.

The source of the complaints about the dreaded SJW is that GW is starting to make some small- but important - steps into being a more inclusive company. The types that feel threatened by people that aren't white dudes are very unhappy about this. Standard culture war poo poo, really.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm all for Games Workshop making 40K into an egalitarian hellscape. It's kind of amusing how in the Imperiums quest to become as grimdark as possible something good happens like gender equality. Only for that equality to essentially translate to "every person has the equal right to die defending the Emprah." Besides, isn't the Imperium's focus on individuals dying for the greater good closer in ideology to communism than fascism? The imperium is dumb enough to employ both methodologies but even better are the dumbass fans who get suckered in by it.

Either way it's a step up from the Tempests Scions codex literally being an SS handbook with the German words edited out.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm all for Games Workshop making 40K into an egalitarian hellscape. It's kind of amusing how in the Imperiums quest to become as grimdark as possible something good happens like gender equality. Only for that equality to essentially translate to "every person has the equal right to die defending the Emprah." Besides, isn't the Imperium's focus on individuals dying for the greater good closer in ideology to communism than fascism? The imperium is dumb enough to employ both methodologies but even better are the dumbass fans who get suckered in by it.

Either way it's a step up from the Tempests Scions codex literally being an SS handbook with the German words edited out.

The Imperium of Man is straight up fascist and there's no real comparison to make to even Soviet communism aside from human rights stuff. The focus on past glories and heroes, the nationalism- particularly the fact that it's combined with religion, the use of exterior threats to unify the population, the supremacy of the military over everything... it all screams fascism. You really can't ignore the economics of communism and make any sort of useful comparison.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Immanentized posted:

What gives, and how are all these dudes suddenly complaining about it? Is there some chud coordination method that I don't get?
/tg/ is one of the big sources of this garbage. Of course, /tg/ is a big source for a lot of garbage.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

/tg/ is one of the big sources of this garbage. Of course, /tg/ is a big source for a lot of garbage.

That's what I'm getting at- these guys aren't on TG, they're getting it from some weird hivemind. This is people who previously actively scorned and avoided 40k are now coming out of the wood work complaining about more inclusivity and "female space marines".
It's beyond the normal chorus, I've had a former coworker, whose life was his gun hobby extolling a 40 minute panegyric about how female space marines are killing warhammer, and how the liberals can't be allowed win. It's loving bizarre.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 23, 2018

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait, what the gently caress?

I liked the way the Space Marine videogame handled women characters - the leader of the Imperial Guard regiment is a woman, and she’s depicted as being competent, not sexualized, not a damsel in distress, and really at no point does the game call attention to her gender or turn her into an overcompensating tomboy with a chip on her shoulder or something. She’s just there to get poo poo done.

When I decided I wanted to build an Imperial Knight model because I thought they looked cool, I bought one of the older codexes just so I had an idea of what Knights were all about. I rolled my eyes a little bit when the codex said there are no female Knight pilots, so for my Knight’s headcanon backstory I decided to make the pilot a woman just to give the codex the finger.

And then I learned that Dawn of War 3 had beaten me to the punch with Lady Solaria. :v:

Anyway here’s my (almost complete) Knight, I like how it’s turned out. :shobon:

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Immanentized posted:

That's what I'm getting at- these guys aren't on TG, they're getting it from some weird hivemind. This is people who previously actively scorned and avoided 40k are now coming out of the wood work complaining about more inclusivity and "female space marines".
It's beyond the normal chorus, I've had a former coworker, who's life was his gun hobby extolling a 40 panegyric about how female space marines are killing warhammer, and how the liberals can't be allowed win. It's loving bizarre.

If I have one wish for GW, it's that they drop a line in some book to imply that some Space Marines started out as women before becoming Battle Brothers. The fluff loses nothing from this, there's no retcon necessary, and it would drive a handful of assholes completely insane.

"Brother Martin, do you even remember life before the Astartes?"

"Perhaps some flashes, Brother Kenndrick. Faded memories. I believe I was a farm boy, Gareth or the like. And you?"

"I barely remember myself. I was a smithy apprentice, Tiffany something. That was a dozen lifetimes ago."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arcsquad12 posted:

Besides, isn't the Imperium's focus on individuals dying for the greater good closer in ideology to communism than fascism?
No, but the confusion is easy to make when what exactly "fascism" is has been pretty heavily diluted in popular consciousness.

Check out Disinterested's posts in the Military History thread for a way better explanation than I can manage.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

susan posted:

If I have one wish for GW, it's that they drop a line in some book to imply that some Space Marines started out as women before becoming Battle Brothers. The fluff loses nothing from this, there's no retcon necessary, and it would drive a handful of assholes completely insane.

"Perhaps some flashes, Brother Kenndrick. Faded memories. I believe I was a farm boy, Gareth or the like. And you?"

"I barely remember myself. I was a smithy apprentice, Tiffany something. That was a dozen lifetimes ago."

Wait wtf. Where the gently caress is this gender reassignment poo poo lmao

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

susan posted:

I like this. The gene seed rewriting you to be as much like the primarch it came from.

All these people complaining about female space marines... did y’all respond that... there still are no women space marines? Like, where’s this even coming from?

Edit: guard kits should come with at least a few women in every box. With the Imperium’s strength coming fro weight of numbers, excluding 50% of the population would be insane.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 23, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish they'd release newer guardsmen models. They're the same moulds since 2001

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xenomrph posted:

I liked the way the Space Marine videogame handled women characters - the leader of the Imperial Guard regiment is a woman, and she’s depicted as being competent, not sexualized, not a damsel in distress, and really at no point does the game call attention to her gender or turn her into an overcompensating tomboy with a chip on her shoulder or something. She’s just there to get poo poo done.

When I decided I wanted to build an Imperial Knight model because I thought they looked cool, I bought one of the older codexes just so I had an idea of what Knights were all about. I rolled my eyes a little bit when the codex said there are no female Knight pilots, so for my Knight’s headcanon backstory I decided to make the pilot a woman just to give the codex the finger.

And then I learned that Dawn of War 3 had beaten me to the punch with Lady Solaria. :v:

Anyway here’s my (almost complete) Knight, I like how it’s turned out. :shobon:

new cano star wars is basically doing that. they have made the empire accepting of pretty much anyone as long as they are human(gently caress aliens is still an imperial thing) female or LGBT doesn't matter as long as you can do the job(dying in mass for some old evil gently caress) like female stormtroopers are a thing and its normal. in the battlefront 2 game(multiplayer and especialy campaign) you hear female storm troopers a bunch. its cool.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Immanentized posted:

It's beyond the normal chorus, I've had a former coworker, whose life was his gun hobby extolling a 40 minute panegyric about how female space marines are killing warhammer, and how the liberals can't be allowed win. It's loving bizarre.

I was just saying that it was a source - I think a lot of these asshats parrot what they read because it fits within their bullshit pro-Trump headspace. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a group of Russians targeting gaming forums to promote this crap.

Moose-Alini posted:

Edit: guard kits should come with at least a few women in every box. With the Imperium's strength coming fro weight of numbers, excluding 50% of the population would be insane.
They do. The women are all of hardy Cadian stock, and, in flak vests, look the same as guys in flak vests.

In seriousness though, I'm not sure what you're going to get - everyone has a helmet on (as you would do in a combat environment) and people flip their poo poo about boob armor, so how would you make a female guardsman (using the current design?) Slightly shorter? A little skinnier?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was just saying that it was a source - I think a lot of these asshats parrot what they read because it fits within their bullshit pro-Trump headspace. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a group of Russians targeting gaming forums to promote this crap.

They do. The women are all of hardy Cadian stock, and, in flak vests, look the same as guys in flak vests.

In seriousness though, I'm not sure what you're going to get - everyone has a helmet on (as you would do in a combat environment) and people flip their poo poo about boob armor, so how would you make a female guardsman (using the current design?) Slightly shorter? A little skinnier?

is boob armor honestly still a thing anymore? i thing a bunch of mainstream scifi/fantasy dropped that stuff a couple years ago.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is boob armor honestly still a thing anymore? i thing a bunch of mainstream scifi/fantasy dropped that stuff a couple years ago.

It's absolutely still a thing. 40k still has the Sisters of Battle, for example, and every iteration of Samus gets more and more boobplate-y.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Moose-Alini posted:

All these people complaining about female space marines... did y’all respond that... there still are no women space marines? Like, where’s this even coming from?

My first response was "Why do you care, and wait, how do you know what a space marine is?"
Then I said that:
a) this is not a thing (though, stormcasts are any gender, and any species.
b) They're steroid golem machine-people, you couldn't tell either way.

The rejoinder was that it didn't matter, Es-Jay-Doubews are ruining the story. I just decided to cut these sort of people out of my social circle (for reasons extending beyond just the spaceman stuff), but now I'm curious to see where this is coming from.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Moose-Alini posted:

If you think about it, there aren't really any male Space Marines either. The male/female dichotomy is all about biological reproduction. Considering the way Space Marines are made, they probably count as asexual mega viruses as far as true gender classification goes.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yeah really space marines are more post-gender. And for female guards, just new heads really. Women guards have long hair a lot in fluff, and less masculine faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xenomrph posted:

One of the most common stories about the SS is about the Dog Test. A recruit raises a dog from infancy and earns it's trust, and then is told he has to shoot it to prove his loyalty to the SS. This was also referenced in the first Kingsmen movie. It's anecdotal but it originates with the SS.

In 40k instead of a dog Scions train in pairs and then to prove their loyalty to Emps they have to kill one another and the victor joins the stormtroopers.