Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The best part about the lore was when the Lyrans combined with the Federated Suns. I know it only lasted for a short time but that poo poo that was some Goku x Vegeta Fusion levels of awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlVtQDVrNns

E: gently caress the combine. eh Gogeta is more appropriate.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
My spam folder doesn't have anything, but the thing is I got the game claimed ok on my humble account, it's just not coming up with a key yet. f5ing isn't helping, what do I do when f5 doesn't work??

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ersatz posted:

Whaaaaat?

Would love to see a list of all major differences if someone has something like that handy.

All armor structure and damage values are multiplied by 5 from their TT standards to let weapons have more granularity

AC2s do the same damage as medium lasers, AC5s do 5 more damage (45) than large lasers (40)

Moving grants evasion pips which does make you harder to hit, but getting max movement isn't a guarantee of huge dodge chances because every enemy that shoots you chips away at your evasion even if they miss. So the light that starts the turn with 50% bonus evasion can get stripped down to nothing if it gets shot at 5 times.

Different sized mechs have flat modifiers to being hit.

The biggest thing to learn is when you can rely on evasion from moving or sprinting vs when you should turtle up and brace, because the second option doesn't exist in TT at all (unless you use rare tacops rules for cover reducing damage, or play on a lot of maps with buildings to hide in).
If you try and rely exclusively on running around, or end up shuffling units with bulwark by a single hex, you're going to get torn up and take a lot of extra damage.

The only other thing to rely get in your head is using the initiative system and something like a tactics/piloting or tactics/guts Mechwarrior to do things like reliably move before any of the enemy force and run out to melee them and remove defensive mods before unloading with the rest of your units. You're always outnumbered in the campaign once you're past the intro missions, so wasting a ton of fire in to a bulwarked (taking half damage/half stability damage) enemy can be crippling.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

goddamn it's on my hard drive now. Sitting there. waiting.

I have the loving bits and bytes on my computer.

Countdown timer go:

http://www.webcountdown.net/?a=uG9ZQ8W

Uh, sorry to say that but your timer is off... by nine hours. Release time is 9am PDT. Have a correct one:

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=234&iso=20180424T09&year=2018&month=4&day=24&hour=9&min=0&sec=0&msg=Battletech%20release%21

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Thanks Gwaihir!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

RBA Starblade posted:

I never played Battletech but I did have a technical readout for it I didn't realize was even a rule book, it just looked sweet as hell. Years later I played Mechwarrior 4 and Mechcommander 2 and put two and two together.

I'm hype for this is what I'm saying

This was pretty much my experience! In my case it was a beat-up old copy of Technical Readout: 3025 that I picked up at a garage sale when I was like 11. Had no idea what it was but I thought about it a lot.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, shame on ALL of you for not posting the high point of Mechwarrior intro cinematics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4JvnQXv9UY

Think of the bright side kid. . . you get to keep all the money.

edit: also thematically appropriate for the new game.

This hooked me so hard on the game the first time I saw it. So good. :allears:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So last time I ever even heard of Battletech was back when I was a kid and a game came out? And you could join fun group names like the SMOKE JAGUARS and the ANGRY WOLVES and poo poo like that. '

Now here this is all about Houses and Davion and Steiner and Marik and whatnot. Are the SMOKE JAGUARS still around? Are they members of a House? How does that all work.

I looked at the Wiki and apparently the SMOKE JAGUARS are a clan, which is.....a group that used to be the military of the psuedo Federation before a civil war, that now live in the outskirts of the galaxy. But how do the Houses fit into that. Or are the Houses the people that run the inner parts of the galaxy, while the clans are the groups that run the outer parts of the galaxy?

And then the rim which this game is set takes place in the inbetween bits?

Who owns Earth in all of this?

....will we get to see the SMOKE JAGUARS in this game.

Also I helped kickstarter this game because XCOM with mechs sounded awesome. If I know nothing about armor values, and what each mech is known for, and what an LSAM is, will I be fine going into this. Or is there a primer somewhere I should go look at.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Also if we have to be dumb clanners it's clear that Ghost Bear is the very least dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlXXUhtVqc

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Beaglerush is learning how good jump jets are and it's amazing :allears:

What's not amazing is that he used a Dragon to do it even though that's like one of the worst mechs in the game to put JJs on from an optimisation perspective but I forgive him because it looks loving cool

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Rookersh posted:

So last time I ever even heard of Battletech was back when I was a kid and a game came out? And you could join fun group names like the SMOKE JAGUARS and the ANGRY WOLVES and poo poo like that. '

Now here this is all about Houses and Davion and Steiner and Marik and whatnot. Are the SMOKE JAGUARS still around? Are they members of a House? How does that all work.

I looked at the Wiki and apparently the SMOKE JAGUARS are a clan, which is.....a group that used to be the military of the psuedo Federation before a civil war, that now live in the outskirts of the galaxy. But how do the Houses fit into that. Or are the Houses the people that run the inner parts of the galaxy, while the clans are the groups that run the outer parts of the galaxy?

Also I helped kickstarter this game because XCOM with mechs sounded awesome. If I know nothing about armor values, and what each mech is known for, and what an LSAM is, will I be fine going into this. Or is there a primer somewhere I should go look at.

Terra is owned by ComStar at the time of this game (~3010-3025?). ComStar is an order of IT professionals who turn the interstellar printers on and off and some are psychotic zealots.

The Smoke Jaguars are a Clan. The Clans were the remnants of a self-exiled force of UN Space Peacekeepers. The Clans returned to known space from their exile in 3049, invaded, and were stopped by the known space residents. Clan Smoke Jaguar was destroyed in 3060. The Clans are not in this game.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Rookersh posted:

The Houses are the feudal powers of the inner sphere, which is the central area humanity has colonized, centered on Earth. Clans, and thus Smoke Jaguars, haven't shown up yet. The Clans have a small chunk of space well outside the inner sphere. Comstar, aka Space AT&T owns Earth and they call it Terra. There have been a few run downs of the game based on experience with the beta upthread.

e:f,b

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Smoke Jaguars are maximum dumb. Like they lean hard into clan stupidity and don't look back.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rookersh posted:

This used to be me before falling down the battletech rabbit hole since my first view of the setting was Mechwarrior 2 and who the hell are these houses and why are they known by two names even and where's my Squawky bird Jade Falcons.
(Seriously for a while I didn't really connect that House Kurita was the same thing as the Draconis Combine)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rookersh posted:

1. No smoke jaguars or any other clans in this game, the clans have not invaded the inner sphere

2. The inner sphere is the extent of human colonized space, with earth at it's center

3. The inner sphere is comprised of half a dozen successor states to the Star League. The Star League was a Roman Empire in Space kinda deal

4. The inner sphere states are mostly feudal or dictatorships and are ruled by ruling families known as Houses.

5. Earth is controlled by Comstar. Comstar is basically Comcast mixed with The Papal State. It is more powerful and somehow more evil than both. They control all technological development, ancient technology and communication.

6. The clans left the inner sphere and are unknown to the inner sphere. They want to invade to restore the Star League.

7. In terms of size, the inner sphere is an insignificant portion of the milky way, not a whole galaxy

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Not yet. They will get hilariously owned in due time though. On Wolcott, and Luthien, and Tukyyaid. Oh and on their own world of Huntress as well.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rookersh posted:

i hear you on this. i played MW2 without knowing anything about battletech. i played through the Jade Falcon campaign, because a falcon holding a katana is way cooler than a stupid wolf. so when i bought MW3, i was really confused about what was going on, why i should care about these Davion people, and why the clans were losing so badly to a bunch of barbarians.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Axetrain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMlJQ0G3zk4

Who the hell are these guys!

lol at an Atlas just straight up murdering a Madcat.

To this very day I have no idea what the light mechs with the spoilers are supposed to be.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Tarquinn posted:

To this very day I have no idea what the light mechs with the spoilers are supposed to be.

I think a Firefly, given their callsigns?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Firefly

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cyrano4747 posted:

goddamn it's on my hard drive now. Sitting there. waiting.

I have the loving bits and bytes on my computer.

Countdown timer go:

http://www.webcountdown.net/?a=uG9ZQ8W

oh hey, thanks for the heads up while I'm still somewhere with faster internet

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tarquinn posted:

Fairly sure it is meant to be a Cougar. [Edit: Or a Firefly, hey.]

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Is the game going to unlock at midnight EST tonight or do we have to wait for Valve Time?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Impermanent posted:

Is the game going to unlock at midnight EST tonight or do we have to wait for Valve Time?

9am PST tomorrow, also known as "Valve Time."

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

DrPop posted:

I think a Firefly, given their callsigns?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Firefly

Wow, thanks. I didn't even remember that this mech exists.

Funny story, the very first mech I have ever created using the design rules back in the mid eighties I have called "Firefly". Weird.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Cowcaster posted:

sorry guys, i just got the news, game is canceled and harebrained schemes is refocusing all development resources on their new match-3 mobile game using battletech mechs

I would unironically pay cash money for a BattleTech mobile game that was similar to Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes/Marvel Strike Force. I am a consumer whore.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Comstar. They are a neutral power that maintains interstellar communications for the rest of the factions. HPGs are Lostech that only Comstar can maintain so the rest of the major powers defer to them when it comes to interstellar communications. They are very trustworthy and certainly have no ulterior motivations whatsoever! It's a very good idea to sign on with these paragons of honesty if you are a Merc outfit, what could go wrong! Also everyone should trust them, after all they are neutral!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I give them a little more leeway for this than I probably should. The Sword and the Dagger was written in 1987, to even imply a character might be homosexual and not put them into a position where they have to vehemently deny it or have them turn out to be evil with homosexuality as their cardinal sin (or even just killed off to punish them for being gay) is pretty progressive for the late 80s.

It was all deniable because Hanse was King Arthur, Ardan Sortek was Sir Kay, Maximillian Liao was Morgan Le Fey, etc. Morgan Kell was Merlin. Patrick Kell was Sir Lancelot. Melissa Steiner was Gwenhyfar. Victor Davion was Mordred, taking all of his father's achievements and quietly ruining them.

Max outright discarding the "We'll spread rumors that Hanse is gay" plot as utterly pointless is pretty progressive in and of itself because it suggests that A) Maybe Hanse is, it's never challenged and B) nobody would have cared if he was, which is a read I like from an otherwise fairly mediocre novel. Ardath Mayhar is a good author but she wasn't a great fit for BattleTech.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ersatz posted:

Thanks Gwaihir!

Another big difference is that ballistics/missiles (and PPC to an extent) build "Stability damage". Eat enough stability damage in a round and you'll become unsteady, losing your evasion pips. Eat a full bar, and you'll be knocked down, getting an automatic pilot injury and having to waste your movement on standing up (and having 0 evasion cause you didn't move).

RabidWeasel posted:

Beaglerush is learning how good jump jets are and it's amazing :allears:

What's not amazing is that he used a Dragon to do it even though that's like one of the worst mechs in the game to put JJs on from an optimisation perspective but I forgive him because it looks loving cool

Ehh, is it really, in this game? I think it's the fastest Heavy, and it has a good melee damage plus a couple of support hard points. It's probably one of the best DFA/Punchbot in the Heavy class.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 23, 2018

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Another big difference is that ballistics/missiles (and PPC to an extent) build "Stability damage". Eat enough stability damage in a round and you'll become unsteady, losing your evasion pips. Eat a full bar, and you'll be knocked down, getting an automatic pilot injury and having to waste your movement on standing up (and having 0 evasion cause you didn't move).

At least you can't fail to stand up in this game can you? lovely pilots rolling around in the mud steadily killing themselves in MegaMek is so frustrating/hilarious.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Pharnakes posted:

At least you can't fail to stand up in this game can you? lovely pilots rolling around in the mud steadily killing themselves in MegaMek is so frustrating/hilarious.

No, and you can't skid on pavement either! I think in the long run the lack of additional bits and bobs (actuators/gyro/engine damage, piloting rolls, etc) may make the gameplay a bit repetitive, but it's probably not going to be a concern for a very long time...and by then, we may have some groggy mods or a DLC/sequel in the making :)

Speaking of the Dragon being a DFA machine: https://clips.twitch.tv/ConfidentElatedPenguinSoBayed :black101:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 23, 2018

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Psion posted:

I haven't looked but I really wonder what the overlap is between people who argued, completely straight-faced, that HBS should "just make an option to let us have TT rules and anyone who doesn't want that can ignore it" vs the people who apparently somehow cannot ignore an option during player creation.
I've read some pretty freepy/protofascist things from the tabletop community over the years, but the current wave of shitposting seems to lean heavily toward younger people with limited knowledge or exposure to the IP beyond later Mechwarrior games. If the oldies care about that, I don't think they're going to abandon the best thing BT has had going for it in the last 15 years over it.
Then again, if HBS rolls out an expansion depicting Hanse Davion being clearly and unambiguously into men, I could see a violent new Star Wars grade reaction... :getin:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

By the way OP, you may want to add this to the first post: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnaqQv8nnYpy9gtQm75-D6fmYfNJ5u3OALSIe8ckOuo/edit#gid=1844655663

It's all the stats for all the mechs in the game, so don't open it if you don't want to get spoiled!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Axetrain posted:

Comstar. They are a neutral power that maintains interstellar communications for the rest of the factions. HPGs are Lostech that only Comstar can maintain so the rest of the major powers defer to them when it comes to interstellar communications. They are very trustworthy and certainly have no ulterior motivations whatsoever! It's a very good idea to sign on with these paragons of honesty if you are a Merc outfit, what could go wrong! Also everyone should trust them, after all they are neutral!

This is correct but now I'm reminded of the sweet let's play someone is doing with battletech and some mods and websites, and I can't find it and am sad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PoptartsNinja posted:

I give them a little more leeway for this than I probably should. The Sword and the Dagger was written in 1987, to even imply a character might be homosexual and not put them into a position where they have to vehemently deny it or have them turn out to be evil with homosexuality as their cardinal sin (or even just killed off to punish them for being gay) is pretty progressive for the late 80s.

It was all deniable because Hanse was King Arthur, Ardan Sortek was Sir Kay, Maximillian Liao was Morgan Le Fey, etc. Morgan Kell was Merlin. Patrick Kell was Sir Lancelot. Melissa Steiner was Gwenhyfar. Victor Davion was Mordred, taking all of his father's achievements and quietly ruining them.

Max outright discarding the "We'll spread rumors that Hanse is gay" plot as utterly pointless is pretty progressive in and of itself because it suggests that A) Maybe Hanse is, it's never challenged and B) nobody would have cared if he was, which is a read I like from an otherwise fairly mediocre novel. Ardath Mayhar is a good author but she wasn't a great fit for BattleTech.

Oh yea for sure that was a 90% joking 'cowards'. I very much get that given the time outright saying 'these two guys a bunch of male nerds think are cool badasses want each other in the butt stuff way' would have been unthinkable in a not already queer story. I give them props for even having the 'alright, look, society doesn't char in universe and if you have awareness of same sex stuff you probably can pick up on it' option.

Also I have the game installed but can't play it. This is hell, give me my robots, Steam.

Cowards :argh:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

vorebane posted:

This is correct but now I'm reminded of the sweet let's play someone is doing with battletech and some mods and websites, and I can't find it and am sad.

Got you covered: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848299&pagenumber=1

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm wondering if Battletech is going to modernize and move beyond the dynamic of White Good Guys, honouraboru Space Samurai who are inflexible to new ideas, inscrutable Space Mandarins running convoluted sneaky plans, belligerent Space Teutons who are willing to betray you when convenient and profiteering Space America.

The Clans are pretty dumb across the board and barely even Space Mongolians aside from Ghost Bear who are like cool chill peaceful which is great but when you make Space Scandinavians the only good, level-headed people in a galaxy of racial pastiches it's just a big :thunk:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

That Italian Guy posted:

By the way OP, you may want to add this to the first post: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnaqQv8nnYpy9gtQm75-D6fmYfNJ5u3OALSIe8ckOuo/edit#gid=1844655663

It's all the stats for all the mechs in the game, so don't open it if you don't want to get spoiled!

The Grasshopper and Banshee-3M both have six support hardpoints, good speed, 4 available JJ slots, and good melee damage so they look very much like your go-to late-game punchbots. You can load up on MLs with their 7/8E hardpoints to have something to do while you close the gap.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

That Italian Guy posted:

Ehh, is it really, in this game? I think it's the fastest Heavy, and it has a good melee damage plus a couple of support hard points. It's probably one of the best DFA/Punchbot in the Heavy class.

The Dragon's tied with a lot of other 60 tonners, there're more 5/8 60 tonners than there are 4/6 60 tonners even in 3025, and they all have the same problem: most of them sacrifice either armor or firepower for speed (the Quickdraw sacrifices armor, the Dragon sacrifices armor and firepower (at least the AC/5 is going to be a good weapon now!), and the Ostsol cheats by only carrying energy weapons and is the best of the lot in TT play)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 23, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

That Italian Guy posted:

No, and you can't skid on pavement either! I think in the long run the lack of additional bits and bobs (actuators/gyro/engine damage, piloting rolls, etc) may make the gameplay a bit repetitive, but it's probably not going to be a concern for a very long time...and by then, we may have some groggy mods or a DLC/sequel in the making :)

Speaking of the Dragon being a DFA machine: https://clips.twitch.tv/ConfidentElatedPenguinSoBayed :black101:

yea the grog in me wants stuff like piloting checks and articulator damage and all but A) I get that that would likely be a major turnoff for a market they're trying to make from scratch considering how long it's been since a BT game has been popular, and B) I know there will be plenty of other turbonerds like me who will make mods and junk so I'll just wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eej posted:

I'm wondering if Battletech is going to modernize and move beyond the dynamic of White Good Guys, honouraboru Space Samurai who are inflexible to new ideas, inscrutable Space Mandarins running convoluted sneaky plans, belligerent Space Teutons who are willing to betray you when convenient and profiteering Space America.

The Clans are pretty dumb across the board and barely even Space Mongolians aside from Ghost Bear who are like cool chill peaceful which is great but when you make Space Scandinavians the only good, level-headed people in a galaxy of racial pastiches it's just a big :thunk:

the video game, at least, very much pushes for a more realistic multicultural view of things rather than a series of carefully divided stereotypes. Like, you still have 'the space asians' and all but at least they're treated as actual humans in an interstellar society rather than just 1920's Chinese people thrown into space.