Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only one that doesn't really feel right to me is Perturabo. He looks like the guy from Gotham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

All Perturabos are beautiful :3:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Perty looks perfect. :colbert:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Perts got this weird unhinged light in his eyes that fits imo.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Hello, I have ridiculous amounts of legitimate british resin. Can I get in on this Slack thing?

two (dot) beans (dot) 2b (at) gmail (dot) com

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Ferrus Manus is being played by David Boreanaz

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I really like those. Pert especially, since he totally has that unhinged crazy genius look. Like he looks like the kind of dude that doesn't give a gently caress about you and decimates your legion to make an example. I always pictured him as Space Stalin, but this is way better imo.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i don't do much HH anymore beyond painting some stuff when i get bored, but i really, honestly doubt price cuts would stop people from buying recasts. people pirate 99c songs.

like, fw is overpriced by a fairly substantial margin, but acting like there's some kind of faux-morality to buying stolen ip is the dumbest poo poo that pops up in these threads. we're not talking about grocery stores in food deserts jacking up their prices here, we're talking about literal toys being too expensive.

sucks about the solar auxilia line getting pruned, needed more quad guns.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JcDent posted:

Considering that you can only take them for Grens and command squads, there's not that much difference... unless yer not taking survivors yet want a non-SH transport.

Maybe I can use Sisters of Battle in Rhinos for squads with Advanced Weapons (since they're more-or-less Bolters at that point and they've got 3+ armor) and Taurox/Auroxes for the grenadiers without Advanced Weapons upgrade?

I pay 75 points for the Survivors for the entire army and then I have the option to upgrade squads for 20 points on top of that right (at which time they can take a Rhino or an LR Proteus)?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 23, 2018

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i don't do much HH anymore beyond painting some stuff when i get bored, but i really, honestly doubt price cuts would stop people from buying recasts. people pirate 99c songs.

like, fw is overpriced by a fairly substantial margin, but acting like there's some kind of faux-morality to buying stolen ip is the dumbest poo poo that pops up in these threads. we're not talking about grocery stores in food deserts jacking up their prices here, we're talking about literal toys being too expensive.

sucks about the solar auxilia line getting pruned, needed more quad guns.

It's more about the margins. Recasters make a lot on recasts due to the inflated cost of the toy. The lower the cost of the toy the less money the recasters make.

When plastic MKIII and MKIV marines came out as part of a boxed set, they were priced about the same as a recast of the resin versions (which, if legit, sold for double or triple the price of the plastics.). People preferred the plastics and the box set. The recast market for the resin versions crashed and to this day you don't see many making copies of those.

But yeah, you'll never stop piracy. You just might make it less profitable.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

It's more about the margins. Recasters make a lot on recasts due to the inflated cost of the toy. The lower the cost of the toy the less money the recasters make.

When plastic MKIII and MKIV marines came out as part of a boxed set, they were priced about the same as a recast of the resin versions (which, if legit, sold for double or triple the price of the plastics.). People preferred the plastics and the box set. The recast market for the resin versions crashed and to this day you don't see many making copies of those.

But yeah, you'll never stop piracy. You just might make it less profitable.

Resin piracy is also a lot harder than pirating music. People need to seek out a recaster, often send money over paypal to someone who's communicated with you in semi-broken english, and then wait several weeks (probably without tracking) to get a product that's often a bit worse quality than FW, just at a third to a quarter the price. Music piracy takes about 60 seconds to download a song for free. The recasters also need to have an entire inventory of molds, to do casting, to often have staff, to ship things, etc. If FW was able to either provide a compelling reason to buy their product rather than a recaster or cut the margins down significantly (or both), they probably would be able to put the recasters in a point where it's significantly harder to be profitable.

For example, I could get a recast leviathan for $20 plus shipping. It'll come tracked, though chinapost tracking isn't very good until it hits the US, and will take 3 weeks. Or I could buy a FW leviathan for $62 + absurd 15% shipping cost. It'll be at best, marginally higher quality, and the shipping will be untracked and take 2 weeks. If I could pay double and get higher quality and a tracked package I would, but FW have failed at providing any economic sense to purchasing from them. Is it immoral to buy the recasts, yeah, but it's not so immoral that I can overlook everything else.

e: to be completely fair, I did just have an order show up today that I ordered the 17th with free shipping. If this were to become the norm I know I'd be more inclined to order direct.

Booley fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 23, 2018

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
dont a lot of the chinese recasts have higher quality than the offical forgeworld poo poo?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

dont a lot of the chinese recasts have higher quality than the offical forgeworld poo poo?

I mean, they're casts of the original. At best they can be "as good".

Of course, their quality control (not sending out poo poo) can be superior, as can their materials selection?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's possible for the quality to be 'better'- some don't use release agent, reinforce thin parts, and clean mold lines before creating new casts. So they increase quality control and save you prep work. You still get some miscasts every now and again, but it's nothing compared to some of the FW/Finecast stuff I've gotten over the years :eyepop:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BULBASAUR posted:

It's possible for the quality to be 'better'- some don't use release agent, reinforce thin parts, and clean mold lines before creating new casts. So they increase quality control and save you prep work. You still get some miscasts every now and again, but it's nothing compared to some of the FW/Finecast stuff I've gotten over the years :eyepop:

Yeah, materials and QA/QC can be better.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Of course, their quality control (not sending out poo poo) can be superior, as can their materials selection?

pretty sure higher quality control will directly lead to higher quality, ergo my initial point?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

pretty sure higher quality control will directly lead to higher quality, ergo my initial point?

Yes, I guess I’m making a distinction between the thing-in-itself and the thing-as-product, in itself it’s a copy of a copy but FW is so bad at QA/QC (and priced so far above what recasters will offer the same/better thing-as-product at) that they lose market share.

:shrug:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Schadenboner posted:

I haven't bought re-casts, but I've been VERY disappointed with the last two FW orders I've received. Bad, bent, bubbly crap, to the point where I'm seriously considering never buying from FW again.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
my biggest complaint with FW has always been the relatively ambiguous directions and the fact a lot of the non-legion units fit together using bizarre joinings that absolutely fail due to the amount of variance in the product you actually get. I have a bag of power axe veletaris that i am 100 percent sure can't be assembled at all because of the weird cables and elbow connections.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I have a bag of power axe veletaris that i am 100 percent sure can't be assembled at all because of the weird cables and elbow connections.

Hot water, my friend. Hot water.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

BULBASAUR posted:

I really like those. Pert especially, since he totally has that unhinged crazy genius look. Like he looks like the kind of dude that doesn't give a gently caress about you and decimates your legion to make an example. I always pictured him as Space Stalin, but this is way better imo.

He has the same stare as shell shock victims. Even if it doesn't capture him, it captures the character of his legion perfectly.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
FW can do much better on QA, but some margins can’t really be collapsed. FW pays a living wage to the people doing the actual casting, in England, and then the money from model sales also pays the sculptors, fluff writers, rules writers, art people, advertisers, administrative assistants, internal operations people, etc. Third-world recasters are paying massively discounted wages for only one very specific part of that. Recast models will always be a fraction of the price of legitimate ones.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Sulecrist posted:

FW can do much better on QA,

I agree

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Painted the big man himself, and holy poo poo this model is so much nicer than the plastic one:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sulecrist posted:

Third-world recasters are paying massively discounted wages for only one very specific part of that. Recast models will always be a fraction of the price of legitimate ones.

The thinking is that FW would sell much more if they lowered the prices.

Basically if they went (hypothetically) 50% off they'd sell more than twice as much, which would still allow them to cover their overhead.

But FW is a weird little hobby industry that doesn't have the capability to manufacture more so they inflated MSRP as a speed governor to limit the amount of models they need to produce.

E: I'm not claiming this is true, it's just the thinking. However, FW practices are a holdover from before GW believed in market research, so maybe there's something to it.

moths fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 24, 2018

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Recasts aren't coming from 3rd world countries. It's 1st world stuff, mostly in China and Eastern Europe. FW stuff will always be more expensive, but the difference between making $50 from a recast and making $10 from a recast is significant. Recasters have infrastructure and labor costs, certainly less than FW, but even they shy away from large resin models exactly for the return on investment: low volume of sales and expensive setup costs.

But like moths is saying, GW went in another direction than the race to the bottom for cost. Maybe it's better?

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 24, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

Recasts aren't coming from 3rd world countries. It's 1st world stuff, mostly in China and Eastern Europe.

Those are 2nd world countries, btw

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Does brexit make the UK a tier 3 or tier 0 country?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Painted the big man himself, and holy poo poo this model is so much nicer than the plastic one:

This looks great! I like the helm.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
We are a garbage fire country.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I'm not sure how I missed this, it's spectacular. Nice work.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BULBASAUR posted:

Does brexit make the UK a tier 3 or tier 0 country?

We're waiting for the EU to tell us what we can be

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Corrode posted:

We're waiting for the EU to tell us what we can be

Please sir, can we have some more control.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TTerrible posted:

Please sir, can we have some more control.

I look forward to Taking Back Control of a wheelbarrow full of worthless money as I fight off scavengers in the wastelands of Somerset

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Corrode posted:

I look forward to Taking Back Control of a wheelbarrow full of worthless money as I fight off scavengers in the wastelands of Somerset

I'm so loving sovereign right now.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

DrPop posted:

This looks great! I like the helm.

TTerrible posted:

I'm not sure how I missed this, it's spectacular. Nice work.

Cheers!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TTerrible posted:

I'm so loving sovereign right now.

#solidforsovereignty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Why you fuckers haven't mounted the Tories and Kippers on spikes along the walls of the parliament is beyond me