Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

I'm afraid I don't get it.
Is this loss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
The planes keep flying by but it never able to see where the supply drop is. Also I was driving a bus, was getting shot at and rolled down a cliff, and one shot the attacker with the Winchester. Then I got in a motor bike with a passenger seat and crashed into a house and died.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Sparticle posted:

Maybe it's good that the Kar98 isn't objectively the best non-crate weapon. If bluehole really wants to balance weapons they shouldn't make the Kar a must-have in every loadout.

The logic behind the helmet change makes no sense. A lvl3 is too powerful to be gained through random chance. The same can be said for the kar if there is a shortage of those lvl3s on the map. Loot RNG can grant you a Kar but won't grant you the defence.

Do you not a risk/reward? Imagine if everyone has a level 3 helmet, then the KAR is the least DPS, slowest firing gun with a slow bullet velocity and the tone of bullet drop.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
Welp, this finally happened to me.

I wasn't even playing conservatively, I swear. I went Pozo fighting ring and tried to hunt a guy but he disappeared. I found myself randomly in the top 8 and opened up on a guy who proned behind a hill and died to the blue. I was shooting the last guy as he came over my hill and he took a step back and died in one tick to the zone.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

pubg is dead, get your practice in the newest BR game before everyone gets good

http://www.surviv.io/

gently caress died at rank #66, bad game

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm afraid I don't get it.
Is this loss?

floating character models due to unrendered terrain at a distance, a smoke grenade icon showing for an 8x scope. just bluehole things.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
I'm not great or anything but I finally have a bit of an idea what I'm doing and I'm already tired of playing with pubbies. Does SA have a steam group or w/e?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

drat, it's happening to me too!

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

I'm not great or anything but I finally have a bit of an idea what I'm doing and I'm already tired of playing with pubbies. Does SA have a steam group or w/e?

Man, if only there was a Discord somewhere...

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
thats great, I haven't noticed it happening yet though

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

VulgarandStupid posted:

There's a discord??

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
its in like the second line of the op drat dudes

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm not getting any better doing squad/event stuff. I think I'm going to just spend a shitload of time in Solo going to the most popular place until I don't suck as much. Only 10h in.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Had a great time playing with goons in 8 player mode. Should be made permanent.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rectovagitron posted:

I feel like I'm not getting any better doing squad/event stuff. I think I'm going to just spend a shitload of time in Solo going to the most popular place until I don't suck as much. Only 10h in.

if you've only got 10h in the game and are playing squads / duos with friends who have more hours, chances are you're matching up against players with higher MMR. I notice a severe drop / rise in enemy skill level depending on which friends I play with. kinda makes me feel bad when I play with my newbie friend, he's constantly being shat on and out of his depth, whilst I'm getting 13 kill games. vice versa when I play with my really skilled friends, I just spend the entire match being the resident mule / first aid carrier, cause in most gunfights, I just get outclassed.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Q8ee posted:

floating character models due to unrendered terrain at a distance, a smoke grenade icon showing for an 8x scope. just bluehole things.

Ah, I mean the unrendered terrain poo poo is so common I just gloss over it now.
That 8x scope thing is new and I did not notice it at all in the image, lol.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Just an FYI to all on ‘non-rendering terrain’ that’s the LOD system reducing the complexity of the terrain geometry at distance (less vertices for performance also means less accuracy to the shape of the high quality up-close terrain mesh).

It’s rendering as intended and not a bug specifically, it just happens that in this game you engage at long ranges and the collision appears to be based on the high quality up close mesh rather than the LOD mesh, so it sucks.

However in comparison, you’re going to get people you can’t see shooting you or people you can see but can’t shoot, and I think it’s obvious which is preferable.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I doubt you have to explain it, I'm pretty sure people understand LOD. That doesn't mean the LOD system in this game is good or beyond reproach.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It’s rendering fine :colbert:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With all due respect, a LOD system that rendered fine would not have cars going under the road and thus disappearing when seen from a not-so-far distance, for example. That's incredibly easy to solve.

They've been tweaking the LOD since the alpha because of how poor it's been in general and I doubt that out of all the tweaks, iterations, damage and improvements they've done the current iteration is the optimal one.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Elentor posted:

With all due respect, a LOD system that rendered fine would not have cars going under the road and thus disappearing when seen from a not-so-far distance, for example.

Speaking of cars going under the road, this happens sometimes. Haven't seen it for a while so maybe it's been fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqh0CsYuAic

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of cars going under the road, this happens sometimes. Haven't seen it for a while so maybe it's been fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqh0CsYuAic

It isn't fixed but it's rarer and I haven't had one blow up when entered or approached in a while.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Elentor posted:

With all due respect, a LOD system that rendered fine would not have cars going under the road and thus disappearing when seen from a not-so-far distance, for example. That's incredibly easy to solve.

They've been tweaking the LOD since the alpha because of how poor it's been in general and I doubt that out of all the tweaks, iterations, damage and improvements they've done the current iteration is the optimal one.

Oh it’s not good that these things happen I totally agree and it’s certainly not optimal, sorry if I implied that. I just wanted to educate people saying it’s ‘not rendering’, it’s more like poor LOD fidelity.

(I wouldn’t consider cars falling through floors to be a rendering issue . That’s presumably physics update rate related.)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fellblade posted:

Oh it’s not good that these things happen I totally agree and it’s certainly not optimal, sorry if I implied that. I just wanted to educate people saying it’s ‘not rendering’, it’s more like poor LOD fidelity.

(I wouldn’t consider cars falling through floors to be a rendering issue . That’s presumably physics update rate related.)

I'm not talking about them falling through the floors like the unrelated but also really annoying issue that Hippie Hedgehog posted, I'm talking about the LOD for roads being taller than real roads, which make cars and people disappear and reappear randomly in the distance. You really should stop interpreting things people are saying as if they're wrong.

You either have things err to being lower or taller, you can't have your cake and eat it too. But since you really like to talk technical, if they're not gonna fix the lod models then it's a rendering issue because at some point they should change the Z-Test between dynamic and static objects to the delta of the maximum deviation in height between LOD levels after the depth difference is beyond the threshold that triggers LOD models. Since terrain rendering occurs in a separate pass it would not require any effort to make that work without things popping in front of other objects, but even if that wasn't the case they could just use the same hacks engines have been using to make boats hollow and solve the issue. I haven't touched a boat in a while but I'm sure even PUBG does that.

Edit: Also, regardless of that, LOD issues are rendering issues, hell even Unity calls it LOD rendering and their system is very basic. Streaming LOD is part of the rendering pipeline, and depending on the engine it will need particular culling, rendering precision, z-test properties and memory allocation handled by the rendering engine. Loading terrain in a separate thread is part of how they're rolling with UE and they could dynamically stream higher quality terrain on scopes to the pipeline if the game detects you're zooming at them. You know, the same technology World of Warcraft used nearly two decades ago.

Bottomline is that it's not technically wrong in any way whatsoever to call it a rendering issue so stop "educating" people on that.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 23, 2018

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for educating me. :)

E: Changed my mind about dropping it completely, you clearly know more on the subject but it’s still not ‘non-rendering’ terrain regardless.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 23, 2018

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

A lot of people in this thread would be happier playing CoD than any actual BR game

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Shouldn't what you look at through a scope render correctly without any LOD poo poo happening? That's what amazes me, you can zoom all the way in on someone with an 8x and still see comical floaty man stuff, or hit invisible terrain.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

VulgarandStupid posted:

drat, it's happening to me too!

I'm an idiot, thanks!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellsau posted:

Shouldn't what you look at through a scope render correctly without any LOD poo poo happening? That's what amazes me, you can zoom all the way in on someone with an 8x and still see comical floaty man stuff, or hit invisible terrain.

Yeah that's what I've been saying. They already have a thread system in place to stream terrain so poo poo you look through a scope should render things at the maximum LOD even if they don't do it instantaneously on worse PCs.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

How often do ya'll hold shift when aiming?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Hellsau posted:

I don't think this is a trivial thing to do without saying good bye to your framerate every time you scope.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

CLARPUS posted:

How often do ya'll hold shift when aiming?

Always

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The Event over the weekend was fairly fun, but holy poo poo when you guys die, stop listing the loot you had on your body especially if you died in the open. Let your team hear, find and kill the guy who killed you first.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
My only complaint with the event mode is flares seemed too rare. We were only playing with 4-5 people but even then we almost never saw a single flare unless we landed Military. Looted all of South George + Crates several times and zero, Novo, Yasnaya, all the same. Saw tons of other people shooting off flares though, so plenty of fun guns were had from their corpses.

Mk14 is easily my favorite gun in the game now, with extended it feels like a better AR + sniper all in one. Weapon rebalancing could be interesting if they added a DMR like that as a non-crate gun. Something with a tiny mag but high dps like the AR/DMR version of the Vector.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cinara posted:

Mk14 is easily my favorite gun in the game now, with extended it feels like a better AR + sniper all in one. Weapon rebalancing could be interesting if they added a DMR like that as a non-crate gun. Something with a tiny mag but high dps like the AR/DMR version of the Vector.

That's basically how the Mini14 was when it was first released, and it was just miles better than the other guns unless you needed automatic fire. You could just tap fire and kill everyone greater than 50 meters away. Their idea of balancing it was making it basically worthless by having extremely low rate of fire and pretty awful recoil.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Cinara posted:

My only complaint with the event mode is flares seemed too rare. We were only playing with 4-5 people but even then we almost never saw a single flare unless we landed Military. Looted all of South George + Crates several times and zero, Novo, Yasnaya, all the same. Saw tons of other people shooting off flares though, so plenty of fun guns were had from their corpses.

I played maybe a dozen Event games, and I think our squad got a flare gun a bit more than half the time. I found 2 in the same random house.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Hellsau posted:

That's basically how the Mini14 was when it was first released, and it was just miles better than the other guns unless you needed automatic fire. You could just tap fire and kill everyone greater than 50 meters away. Their idea of balancing it was making it basically worthless by having extremely low rate of fire and pretty awful recoil.

Yea, the old Mini14 was way too strong. My idea was more along the lines of the Mk14 but worse, 10/20 mag or even 10/15, tiny bit less damage per shot but still full auto. Very high fire rate + high recoil but without the insane bullet speed of the Mini14.

Mostly I am just curious to see what the weapon + attachment rebalancing ends up doing. I'd love a world where you want to carry something besides an AR + Sniper(or dual AR), or have a real choice on what attachments you use besides Comp vs Suppressor.

Hockles posted:

I played maybe a dozen Event games, and I think our squad got a flare gun a bit more than half the time. I found 2 in the same random house.

Yea, I guess I was hoping for a mode where they were really common and your whole squad could be rocking some crate guns.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure I have never held a Mk14. It just never seems to be in crates when I get them :(

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

in the last 3 games I've played solo, I've gotten two l3 helmets, they didn't make a goddamn difference. I didn't check the environment, moved too far out of cover and gave away my positron respectively.

aparently I should have won 2 of those for getting op drops. I think the mistake erasing force field on the l3 helmet is bugged

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
During early access, I was told that finding a Spetznaz helmet with any durability would garuntee that a Kar98 would not kill me with a headshot.

Is that true anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yeah armor absorbs the same amount of damage whether it's at 100% or 1%.