Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nonviolent J posted:

New Nintendo Homebrew Thread DX: All I can play is Golf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Switch Linux getting released today

https://gbatemp.net/threads/arch-linux-to-be-released-soon-shots-fired-against-reswitched-f0f.501632/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When the Wii U is hacked, does it still need to be at that specific DNS server? Can Wii U games be patched?

What's the recommended software for Wii U VC Injection? I installed Injectline, but it just closes out whenever I type in what console I want to make an injection for.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure the Wii U DNS server thing just blocks the official update servers so you won't get surprised by an update that manages to break homebrew. More of a overly cautious approach especially with Wii U support just about officially dropped, but also not unnecessary since the Wii U will automatically install an update once its been downloaded unlike the 3DS or Switch.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The details of the Switch bootrom exploit have finally been disclosed: http://misc.ktemkin.com/fusee_gelee_nvidia.pdf

tl;dr: Any Switch manufactured to date should be hackable using this method. It requires the Switch to boot into a certain mode which can be triggered through software on old firmwares, but it can also be triggered with some straightforward hardware tricks regardless of firmware (either by removing the back cover from the Switch and unplugging the eMMC board, or by using a simple dongle to short out a pin on the right Joycon connector).

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988445232445378561

condolences to those who missed out on new games and online in order to keep their old firmware version

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 23, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988445232445378561?s=21

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988445419498696706?s=21

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
http://wololo.net/2018/04/23/nintendo-switch-tegra-x1-bootrom-leaked-precipitate-custom-firmware-release/

:stare:

This is loving insane

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:rip: Nintendo Switch. It was good while it lasted

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Also :lol:, fail0verflow and friends weren't planning to disclose this stuff until June 15th to give Nvidia time to respond, but someone leaked the details on a Pastebin so they all said gently caress it and released everything.

nvidia on suicide watch

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:fap:

Hahaha, it was a good run Switch.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So much for a hack free Pokemon experience.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:rip: Nintendo Switch. It was good while it lasted

s.i.r.e. posted:

:fap:

Hahaha, it was a good run Switch.

Do y'all actually think piracy hurts platforms? Because it's pretty weird to be cheering about if you do. I mean, I really don't, I don't think the 3ds was hurt one bit by being cracked wide open. Just seems like a weird attitude to be putting out there.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I have a feeling we’re gonna get a New Switch earlier than later.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I have a feeling we’re gonna get a New Switch earlier than later.

Remember we already saw a reference to a new Tegra SOC in the 5.0 firmware, it's very likely that it's for a new hardware revision that fixes this exploit.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

Remember we already saw a reference to a new Tegra SOC in the 5.0 firmware, it's very likely that it's for a new hardware revision that fixes this exploit.

They'll never figure it out if we move the pins to the left Joycon.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Manky posted:

Do y'all actually think piracy hurts platforms? Because it's pretty weird to be cheering about if you do.
One of the open questions with the Switch is whether it's going to have homebrew emulators and save backups before Nintendo releases their subscription-or-whatever VC service and cloud saves. Those are things that people want, even if they don't pirate games. With the hardware busted open, homebrewers might actually win the race here.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Manky posted:

Do y'all actually think piracy hurts platforms? Because it's pretty weird to be cheering about if you do. I mean, I really don't, I don't think the 3ds was hurt one bit by being cracked wide open. Just seems like a weird attitude to be putting out there.

Look what PSP where piracy just made developers back away over time, with almost no support for it successor due to it. Probably see the third party people leave the Switch now. :smith:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

One of the open questions with the Switch is whether it's going to have homebrew emulators and save backups before Nintendo releases their subscription-or-whatever VC service and cloud saves. Those are things that people want, even if they don't pirate games. With the hardware busted open, homebrewers might actually win the race here.

Not a bad prediction since the same thing happened with the 3DS for the most part.

Nintendo's handling of Virtual Console has been especially embarrassing when comparing it to, for example, how Sony did the PS1 Classics.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rirse posted:

Look what PSP where piracy just made developers back away over time, with almost no support for it successor due to it. Probably see the third party people leave the Switch now. :smith:

In what world did the Vita fail because third party developers were afraid of piracy

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I mean yeah, if the Vita failed due to piracy, then I don't know how the DS and 3DS survived.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Andrast posted:

In what world did the Vita fail because third party developers were afraid of piracy

I'd argue that a big reason for Vita's failing (proprietary memory cards and their relatively high costs) was precisely due to piracy fears.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Andrast posted:

Not saying I agree but OP said PSP, not Vita. Vita support was long dead by the time it got cracked, PSP happened a lot earlier (and was super loving easy to do)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

goferchan posted:

Not saying I agree but OP said PSP, not Vita. Vita support was long dead by the time it got cracked, PSP happened a lot earlier (and was super loving easy to do)

“with almost no support for its successor due to it”

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I want save backups really badly; somehow I don't think the folks going "rip switch" said it with the intention of it translating to "long live legitimate software sales on the switch supplemented by homebrew solutions." I might be a little cynical, though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Vita piracy exploit came out the summer after western production of the main hardware units had stopped.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
I am way more excited by a dope dockable emulation tablet than I am about free switch games. Imagine a switch running retropi+kodi, that is so much cooler than playing friggin splatoon for free

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Homebrew is cool and all but I'm still spooked by the possibility of getting banned from online services like my 3DS did. I don't want to lose Splatoon multiplayer :saddowns:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I'd argue that a big reason for Vita's failing (proprietary memory cards and their relatively high costs) was precisely due to piracy fears.

what

The Vita hack came out like a year ago

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

what

I'm arguing the opposite, Sony made really bad decisions with the Vita specifically as a countermeasure to piracy, which worked while the system was current but made the system too expensive for many to bother with.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

what

As in the measures they implemented to try to stymie piracy from the outset lost them money because of jacked up prices on proprietary hardware

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
rip the nintendo switch, died to piracy just like the gba and the ds and the 3ds before it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

repiv posted:

Homebrew is cool and all but I'm still spooked by the possibility of getting banned from online services like my 3DS did. I don't want to lose Splatoon multiplayer :saddowns:

Same. I’m not going to do anything unless I’m assured I won’t be banned from using the system online.

I already have plenty of other things to play emulated games on.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

rip the nintendo switch, died to piracy just like the gba and the ds and the 3ds before it

Don’t forget the Wii

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Manky posted:

Do y'all actually think piracy hurts platforms?

Piracy hurts indie developers.

Also, looking forward to people ruining Splatoon 2's online experience.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I'm arguing the opposite, Sony made really bad decisions with the Vita specifically as a countermeasure to piracy, which worked while the system was current but made the system too expensive for many to bother with.

Sorry, I'm a moron. I read it properly now.

I thought the Vita memory card thing was more to force people to buy Sony's stupid proprietary poo poo. If it were just for anti-piracy they would have priced them reasonably.

I have a 200GB microSD card where my 3G card used to be :cool: . And I can theoretically throw in another 200GB microSD card into the game cart slot for a total of 400GB for the same price as a 64GB Vita memory card :lol:

absolutely anything posted:

Yeah I think people like to claim the Dreamcast died due to piracy just to give such an awesome console a bit of a better legacy instead of saying "Sega was poo poo for so many years that it didn't matter how good the Dreamcast was".

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't buy the excuse that the Vita memory cards were to prevent piracy either. Realistically, how is using a proprietary memory card any more secure than just using an SD card and encrypting the whole thing at the block level?

That's what they did with the PS3 and PS4 and it worked fine, you can pull the HDD out and plug it into your PC but there's no point because the data is encrypted with a per-console key that you can't get without already having hacked the system.

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 23, 2018

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dehry posted:

So much for a hack free Pokemon experience.

I went from "cool" to "bummer" just now. Had an unpleasant experience during the 3DS era whenever I went to battle online: everyone had bloody shinies at max IV stats, everyone from low rank randoms to actual tournament goers. I kind of wish that would stop.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

I don't buy the excuse that the Vita memory cards were to prevent piracy either. Realistically, how is using a proprietary memory card any more secure than just using an SD card and encrypting the whole thing at the block level?

Not to mention Sony's insane history with proprietary media

MicroMV
ATRAC
Digital8
Betamax
MemoryStick

I can go on for days

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Takoluka posted:

Piracy hurts indie developers.

Also, looking forward to people ruining Splatoon 2's online experience.

You’re bumming me out. I hope there will be some way to prevent this.:smith:

Why is Nintendo so bad at securing their hardware when it’s seemingly impossible to hack PS and Xboxes that are connected online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

You’re bumming me out. I hope there will be some way to prevent this.:smith:

Why is Nintendo so bad at securing their hardware when it’s seemingly impossible to hack PS and Xboxes that are connected online?

My friend, piracy has been a thing on every console ever released with the exception of the XBox One. It won't being financial ruins for anyone. Only nerds do this stuff. The $12 DS flashcart couldn't kill the drat system. As soon as people start reading that they have to check their serial number to make sure the hack is compatible you lose 99.9% of the population's interest.