Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I'm just really excited Weisman's back in control and HBS Battletech is looking real good. I hope that the game is going to be the first step in fleshing out the universe to be more than Well Of Course Kurita Is Up To No Good Again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
My headcanon about Battletech is that in-universe nobody (apart from a tiny minority) gives a gently caress if you're LGBT with very few exceptions, those being if you're the first or second born noble heir. Marriage and love don't go together. See: the mindset of a CK2 player. Or are a lesbian in the Combine because they're just rampantly sexist before Theodore takes over and smacks some sense into them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

I'd be well up for this but being a Eurogoon makes it really hard to get good times to do matches in my experience. I'll keep an eye on it and see how many Euro's signup, might be do able.

I've joined up, so there's at least two Eurogoons now!

Fake edit:

Ha ha, the game comes out just when I reach my workplace. I will suffer on Tuesday. :suicide:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Dragon's tied with a lot of other 60 tonners, there're more 5/8 60 tonners than there are 4/6 60 tonners even in 3025, and they all have the same problem: most of them sacrifice either armor or firepower for speed (the Quickdraw sacrifices armor, the Dragon sacrifices firepower, and the Ostsol cheats by only carrying energy weapons and is the best of the lot in TT play)

Yeah I was going strictly by HBS version, not TT.

SPOILED FOR HEAVY MECHS LIST IN HBS

It punches way above its weight, it's way faster than mechs with the same punch strenght, it has the most JJ allowance of any heavy and doesn't lose out too much on armor. The stock version is undergunned, and if you use it as a gun platform it probably sucks...as it's appropriate. But you can have it run around and eat mediums with melee very effectively in HBS Btech.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Don't really want to spoil myself on this one, so I'll just ask here: how's the replay value if I'm not interested in multiplayer?
Is it like xcom where I can just play the campaign over and over?

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 23, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Its backbone is procedural robot merc simulator 3025 edition, so extremely good. Plus the modding is going to be vigorous, I should think.

Also what's the new title doing to be: hbs btech: all systems nominal?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Eraflure posted:

Don't really want to spoil myself on this one, so I'll just ask here: how's the replay value if I'm not interested in multiplayer?

The main campaign missions are bespoke so there would be repetition on a replay (I'm not sure if it's branching / offers different choices? I don't think it is.) But there are procedurally-generated side missions that you can do forever.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eraflure posted:

Extremely good, you can merc campaign forever after doing the story missions, and the game is exceptionally amenable to mods. Including totally new campaigns/event builders, new mechs (At least anything that PGI has already created art for), weapons, gear, etc.

e: Yea, as far as I know the main story doesn't change depending on your choices or anything, but the fundamental merc sim is not not limited and scales up in difficulty past the fixed story stuff.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there multiplayer?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Its backbone is procedural robot merc simulator 3025 edition, so extremely good. Plus the modding is going to be vigorous, I should think.

Also what's the new title doing to be: hbs btech: all systems nominal?

I think spelling out Battletech is probably good for people doing a search. Not sure HBS matters as much. I nominate Battletech: Reactor Online, Sensors Online, Weapons Online, All Systems Nominal

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 23, 2018

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Well that sounds like a preorder. :toot:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Is there multiplayer?

Yes, 1 on 1 skirmish with 4 mechs vs 4 mechs.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Phi230 posted:

Is there multiplayer?

Just 1v1 for now, using either pre-set values (15/20/25m) or unlimited (So you can bring your custom all King-Crab lance).

Playing modded multiplayer is possible but both people have to have the same set of data files otherwise things obviously break.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

I think spelling out Battletech is probably good for people doing a search. Not sure HBS matters as much. I nominate Battletech: Reactor Online, Weapons Online, All Systems Nominal

Sensors online :argh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
BattleTech: Look on the bright side, kid: you get to keep all the money.

BattleTech: If honor doesn't sway your mercenary heart, let's talk money.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

rt4 posted:

Sensors online :argh:

Oh poo poo, I'll turn in my nerd card now.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
No guts no galaxy

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Kill the Meat, Spare the Metal

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Gwaihir posted:

or unlimited (So you can bring your custom all King-Crab lance).

please note I only play unlimited matches

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Kinda late to the dance, but I was thinking it would be cool for the tournament to run stock mechs instead of custom ones to really get into the whole 3025 level 1 feeling of the game.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

Kinda late to the dance, but I was thinking it would be cool for the tournament to run stock mechs instead of custom ones to really get into the whole 3025 level 1 feeling of the game.

Well, good news, it's going to be stock mechs!

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech: Look on the bright side, kid: you get to keep all the money.

BattleTech: For some it was a time of terrible sacrifice and loss, for others it was a time of great opportunity

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
BattleTech: Third Person Crusader Kings with Violent Combat Robots

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Battletech: Make robots kick each other in the dick until one explodes

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech: Third Person Crusader Kings with Violent Combat Robots

not quite crusader kings yet but we can file dynastic mechanics along with ace combat chatter as strong recommends for battletech 2 imo

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Preload complete :toot:

So looking forward to proving that four locusts can dominate the inner sphere.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Anybody got a link to a guide on modding merc company logos?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

the ol’ robo-rochambeau

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Anybody got a link to a guide on modding merc company logos?

I think you probably have to overwrite an existing logo with your .dds or .png transparent file. Look inside the steamapps > Battletech directory for a subdir with multiple .dds (the folder name is probably identifiable).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrackyBumblingDogeBCWarrior Never not topical!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Psion posted:

Second is the Helm core was earth-shattering due to 750 whole kilobytes!!!! on K-F drive theory, so it'd take the entire treasury of at least two great houses.

I mean the RIGHT 750k absolutely would be. That's maybe 100, 000 words of plain text/maths.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This looks a lot cooler than I initially gave it credit for. Signed up for the Goon tournament, looking forward to cooking my Mech pilots alive after shooting off too many lasers.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I mean the RIGHT 750k absolutely would be. That's maybe 100, 000 words of plain text/maths.

I'd presume it was compressed, and that it was just full of old CAD schematics.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

That Italian Guy posted:

Ehh, is it really, in this game? I think it's the fastest Heavy, and it has a good melee damage plus a couple of support hard points. It's probably one of the best DFA/Punchbot in the Heavy class.

Its JJs weight 1T each vs. 0.5T for Mediums, so a Shadowhawk with max JJs actually has significantly more internal space to play with, and has an initiative advantage, both of which I think more than make up for lower armour and very slightly lower melee dmg. If you're doing a no-JJ build for either mech then things compare more favourably (obviously all figures are for non-standard builds)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

evilmiera posted:

I'd presume it was compressed, and that it was just full of old CAD schematics.

this was 1989, I'm sure the implication was plaintext

feedmegin posted:

oh I agree, it's just funny reading that even in the 90s when I could probably lose 750kb of drive capacity a day and not notice for weeks. Or that this was a huge trove out of the memory core which apparently was actually someone putting a new sticker on one of those AOL subscription floppies they used to mail out to everyone. It was just a computer reference that aged poorly, despite being technically plausible. So I find it pretty funny.

quote:

"...it's chock-full of technical data on scientific discoveries and experiments. I've even heard a rumor that it has 750 kilobytes on Kearny-Fuchida drive theory alone."

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 23, 2018

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

You're a saint, at least as nice a guy as Comstar!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

All preloaded and ready for coming home from work tomorrow! Luckily it unlocks at 5pm for me so no reason to not go to work really.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm streaming an advanced copy :D

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
HBS BattleTech: He, She, They

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Harebrained Sctheymes

If anyone deserves this it's you.