Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

markets finally realizing we're headed towards recession seems like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's just a correction, we'll re-correct back up tomorrow, markets are perfectly efficient.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ruzihm posted:

stocks just fell what did u do goons?

let one rip and it was super nasty

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Ruzihm posted:

stocks just fell what did u do goons?

put a dollar bill on a table and stared at it very intensely with my index fingers on my temples

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

markets now pessimistic since the waffle house shooter now being in custody means waffle house will no longer be ubiquotous in the news which will end the surge in sales of eggs, waffles, bisquick, etc

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I let my belief in the market slip for one second

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Epic High Five posted:

let one rip and it was super nasty

capitalist innovation at work :911:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I told a coworker that capitalism was unsustainable and would collapse.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

KaptainKrunk posted:

markets finally realizing we're headed towards recession seems like

sure, eventually. but unlikely anytime soon.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

I told a coworker that capitalism was unsustainable and would collapse.

no!!! you cant say that!!! think of the consumer confidence index!!!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
i threw crumbs to pigeons without bothering to check whether they have gainful employment

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Marx Headroom posted:

i threw crumbs to pigeons without bothering to check whether they have gainful employment

did you at least make them pay in pidgeoncoins for each crumb consumed?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
pigeons pay in shitcoin, the statue-backed currency

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

The "holy-grail … the undiscovered Asperger's engineer":

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
fess up who stopped giving the market all their power for a sec

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-20/america-s-truck-love-means-long-term-auto-loans-are-here-to-stay

The average new car loan on a Ram Pickup is now 73-months, with 84-month loans being the fastest growing category.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FCKGW posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-20/america-s-truck-love-means-long-term-auto-loans-are-here-to-stay

The average new car loan on a Ram Pickup is now 73-months, with 84-month loans being the fastest growing category.

anyone who buys any product from loving chrysler deserves to be gouged to gently caress with long-term loans

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Stupid question, why not lease at that point?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Because I absolutely need to own this vehicle that will be worth pennies by the time I finish paying it off

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

alternatively just buy a 10 year old toyota for a fraction of the cost and not worry about it breaking in 5 different ways every 10,000 miles

buying any new car is stupid as hell, buying a new american car is a whole other level of completely wasting your money in the dumbest way possible

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They would likely go over their miles because they live in the exurbs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

alternatively just buy a 10 year old toyota for a fraction of the cost and not worry about it breaking in 5 different ways every 10,000 miles

buying any new car is stupid as hell, buying a new american car is a whole other level of completely wasting your money in the dumbest way possible

Used Toyotas are loving expensive. The "buy a used toyota" secret is out and they command a hefty premium now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

anyone who buys any product from loving chrysler deserves to be gouged to gently caress with long-term loans

caring about car brands is pretty bougie

also the heavily discounted (used) 2013 Chrysler 200 I got from Hertz was the only good thing to come out of my entire time working there

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FCKGW posted:

Used Toyotas are loving expensive. The "buy a used toyota" secret is out and they command a hefty premium now.

from a dealer lot sure, private sellers you can get a really good deal.

and really just don't buy from any dealer at all, they suck.

AnEdgelord posted:

also the heavily discounted (used) 2013 Chrysler 200 I got from Hertz was the only good thing to come out of my entire time working there

it's mostly a case of chrysler dominating the coveted 'least reliable car brand' consistently year after year since basically 1975.

the manufacturer responsible for the ultradrive transmission deserves nothing but scorn from all angles. they just make really poo poo cars, dawg.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

from a dealer lot sure, private sellers you can get a really good deal.

and really just don't buy from any dealer at all, they suck.

Must depend on location because in my area finding a Toyota truck under $10k and 200k miles on craigslist is near impossible.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it's mostly a case of chrysler dominating the coveted 'least reliable car brand' consistently year after year since basically 1975.

the manufacturer responsible for the ultradrive transmission deserves nothing but scorn from all angles. they just make really poo poo cars, dawg.

The 200 I have spent its whole life, before I bought it, as a rental car and has been running like a dream ever since. There have been a few problems but nothing serious, and nothing that couldn't be fixed in an afternoon.

Maybe I just got lucky :shrug:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

AnEdgelord posted:

nice sebring. glad that gen is working out.

gently caress american sedan design for the most part

their rejection of the hofmeister kink as the ultimate sedan c-pillar solution makes them do the dumbest things

hydroforming sent them over the rails with curves on most things and it's gauchely applied

art & science wasn't terrible, too bad the cts was fat

mustang went through 1-2 years of good but then they riced the head/taillights in refresh

*memories from when i cared*

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Don't gently caress up and hire the Asperger social sciences major though, because they are REALLY political, really open about it because of their lack of social skills, will be a liability to your fascist company due to their extremely anti-fascist ideology and do develop a subtle attitude, that is expressed in different ways, because they understand the system that is oppressing them better than your idiot middle-manager rear end.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FCKGW posted:

Must depend on location because in my area finding a Toyota truck under $10k and 200k miles on craigslist is near impossible.

the overwhelming majority of pickup owners never ever ever ever use their pickups for anything other than driving to their boring jobs that involve zero of the situations in which a pickup is in any way useful so maybe they should be buying a car and not a truck in the first place. oh wait but then they wouldn't be able to roll coal to stick it to those drat liberal prius drivers so i guess that idea is out the window.

AnEdgelord posted:

The 200 I have spent its whole life, before I bought it, as a rental car and has been running like a dream ever since. There have been a few problems but nothing serious, and nothing that couldn't be fixed in an afternoon.

Maybe I just got lucky :shrug:

every once in a while, american car companies accidentally get something right, like the gm 3800 engine. they do occasionally make something that isn't overpriced and less reliable than their competition, maybe the 200 is one such case, though it being on consumer reports' ten worst list makes that seem unlikely.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

my hobby is pointing out to home owners that their mortgage means that they're still renters, just with a really lovely contract that doesnt cover repairs

now it get to expand it to people with new cars

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

KiteAuraan posted:

Don't gently caress up and hire the Asperger social sciences major though, because they are REALLY political, really open about it because of their lack of social skills, will be a liability to your fascist company due to their extremely anti-fascist ideology and do develop a subtle attitude, that is expressed in different ways, because they understand the system that is oppressing them better than your idiot middle-manager rear end.

Okay, I'm listening. What happened?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Agean90 posted:

my hobby is pointing out to home owners that their mortgage means that they're still renters, just with a really lovely contract that doesnt cover repairs

Having worked in the rental car industry I can say that its worth paying a premium just to avoid interacting with the cretins that rent cars.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Agronox posted:

Okay, I'm listening. What happened?

Retail loving sucks. Also, my CV is a mess.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

Eeeehhh... Buying a house builds equity which can be a big deal in the long term. They also tend to go up in value over time (imminent recession not withstanding) which can add up to a lot of free money. There’s a reason all the rich assholes are in real estate.

Cars on the other hand loose all their value after 5 mins of use so you’re basically correct there.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

KiteAuraan posted:

Retail loving sucks. Also, my CV is a mess.

Yes, yes it does. :( I hope it gets better for you!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Having worked in the rental car industry I can say that its worth paying a premium just to avoid interacting with the cretins that rent cars.

just buy old cars instead op

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

readingatwork posted:

Eeeehhh... Buying a house builds equity which can be a big deal in the long term. They also tend to go up in value over time (imminent recession not withstanding) which can add up to a lot of free money. There’s a reason all the rich assholes are in real estate.

Cars on the other hand loose all their value after 5 mins of use so you’re basically correct there.

The idea that home prices will always increase and equity will always appreciate is based on a very specific set of circumstances and a very tiny slice of time so we should maybe reinvestigate whether it's a fact.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Agean90 posted:

just buy old cars instead op

way ahead of you

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
lol if you aren't running a 15 year old Japanese economy car into the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The idea that home prices will always increase and equity will always appreciate is based on a very specific set of circumstances and a very tiny slice of time so we should maybe reinvestigate whether it's a fact.

True, but even if your $300k house drops to $200k you still walk away with $200k in 10 or so years (assuming you can pay the mortgage off). When you rent that number is zero.

The major risk with home ownership is actually that you may need to sell while the value is low and you’re not done paying off your mortgage. If you owe $300k and your house is worth $300k when you get fired it’s not a huge deal to just sell the house and get an apartment somewhere. If you owe $300k and you lose your job while the house is at $200k you’re hosed.