Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Happened a bit before I stepped out of the house today. I walked the length of the scene and saw at least 5 bodies under tarps and a few people being treated on scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Hope all you urban elites are alright, I heard 9 dead.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The numbers are complete bullshit, so hold off on that, there's like 50 different "unconfirmed" "sources say" tweets with wildly different numbers, some of which are being used by news orgs that ought to know better *cough*NEWSTALK*cough*

e: Please tell me you got that from Paul Watson

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 23, 2018

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Hope all you urban elites are alright, I heard 9 dead.

It's a horrible tragedy but it's Yonge and Finch so it might as well have happened in Barrie as far as we downtowners are concerned.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

A Typical Goon posted:

Reporters are scum. Shoving cameras in witnesses faces and asking stupid questions that these people obviously wouldn’t know

"All right, Peter, I want you to go out there and get the story! BUT DON'T TALK TO ANYONE. Just stand back silently and observe and wait for the government to tell you what happened." :canada:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Everybody tripping over themselves to drop their hot takes in.
WOW GLOBAL CALLED IT TERRORISM THEY ARE THE WORST
OH HEY IT WAS A WHITE GUY NOW WATCH THEM SAY IT'S NOT TERRORISM.
WOW LUCKY THE GUY WAS SO WHITE OR HED BE SOOOOOO DEAD

Is it really too much to wait for some facts to come in, or give credit to the police for peacefully arresting the guy? Like I'm first in line to call for public execution of bad cops and you guys turn me off.

Please go outside.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Helsing posted:

Apparently at least three deaths reported so far. This is ugly.

From what I've been told learning how to get juicy quotes from bereaved or shocked people is an important part of the J-School curriculum.

It's usually the reporters without a specific degree in journalism that do poo poo like that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Math You posted:

Is it really too much to wait for some facts to come in, or give credit to the police for peacefully arresting the guy? Like I'm first in line to call for public execution of bad cops and you guys turn me off.

Please go outside.

no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Math You posted:

Please go outside.

Did you actually ready any of the thread or just scan by for hot takes?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

infernal machines posted:

Did you actually ready any of the thread or just scan by for hot takes?

Lmao you were one of the hot takes I quoted. Tell me, now that the driver has been identified as "white" from some grainy rear end cell phone footage, are you still upset at global for calling it terrorism or are you going to have an anuerysm when they roll that back to "lone wolf"?

Granted the discussion on this page has largely been better, but the back half of the last page was at least 50 percent hot takes

Edit: I guess I should read poster names instead of just text. You post a lot and it wasn't all hot takes. So sorry, I guess I wronged you :(

Math You fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 23, 2018

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Math You posted:

Please go outside.

CHECKMATE SIMPLETONS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Math You posted:

Lmao you were one of the hot takes I quoted. Tell me, now that the driver has been identified as "white" from some grainy rear end cell phone footage, are you still upset at global for calling it terrorism or are you going to have an anuerysm when they roll that back to "lone wolf"?

Granted the discussion on this page has largely been better, but the back half of the last page was at least 50 percent hot takes

Yes, I'm sorry about your reading comprehension, I understand there are continuing education classes you can take to help with that.

For example, reading what I wrote would get you to the Global reporter calling a 20 minute old incident an "alleged terror incident" when, publicly no one had made those allegations in any official capacity, it was pure speculation on his part. He was the one alleging it was a terror incident, you see.

You'll also see where I said it was good that the police officer did their job properly and very neatly de-escalated the situation and effected an arrest, I said that it's particularly notable because that is frequently not how these interaction go in Toronto.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The numbers are complete bullshit, so hold off on that, there's like 50 different "unconfirmed" "sources say" tweets with wildly different numbers, some of which are being used by news orgs that ought to know better *cough*NEWSTALK*cough*

e: Please tell me you got that from Paul Watson

I checked and he tweeted it 16 minutes ago... are you accusing me of being him? I searched "fatalities" and saw a retweet of newstalk 1010. They have News and a blue checkmark, how could they lie to me. Hope it's bs

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Math You posted:

Yes, I would be upset if they now called it a lone wolf act because what you get called by the media definitely has an impact on what you get charged with. Just look at Alexandre Bissonette, who was not charged for terrorism for what reason again?

Also, after looking at that video, the officer did a great job and that man might not still be alive had another arrived at the scene before him.

ARACHTION fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 23, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

You'll also see where I said it was good that the police officer did their job properly and very neatly de-escalated the situation and effected an arrest, I said that it's particularly notable because that is frequently not how these interaction go in Toronto.

Maybe it shows how excellent a job our media is doing publicizing the ones where TPS kills someone that we think that's the norm so we're surprised when a high publicity one like this goes the other way when this other way is actually way closer to average.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I checked and he tweeted it 16 minutes ago... are you accusing me of being him? I searched "fatalities" and saw a retweet of newstalk 1010. They have News and a blue checkmark, how could they lie to me. Hope it's bs

I'm just saying I've never seen you two in the same room together. And, yeah, me too.

A CP24 reporter is citing Sunnybrook saying they received 8 patients, one of whom has died.

https://twitter.com/stephaniesmyth/status/988505306929025025

I think the others are based on reports of covered bodies on the street.

Maybe it shows how excellent a job our media is doing publicizing the ones where TPS kills someone that we think that's the norm so we're surprised when a high publicity one like this goes the other way when this other way is actually way closer to average.

It may also show that, but on the other hand the province seems to agree enough to have set up more than one taskforce to review use of force incidents and suggest new policy and training.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'll go back to lurking now.

Math You fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 23, 2018

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
drat...you're really cool.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

There is a difference between a news report in a fluid, breaking news situation being wrong and being a lie.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

9 people confirmed dead and 16 injured. :(

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/987934103394750464?s=19

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bonus, there was recently a rather large and angry debate about plans to reduce the lanes, add bike lanes and expand pedestrian walkways along that stretch of road. They mayor's infrastructure board nixed the staff plan to do it and tried to spend another $25 million to shunt the separated bike lanes to a side street.

The mayor defend this by saying there's too much traffic already so no lanes could be removed here.

To be honest when I first heard about this I assumed it was either road rage or someone who decided it'd be fun to slaughter some pedestrians.

I live in Hamilton where I am a legal murder target because I don't have a car and occasionally cross the street while owning a cell phone, so perhaps I'm biased here.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hottest take of the afternoon: This wouldn't have happened if we had separated bike lanes and adequate street furniture.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Some loving brain genius from Global is already calling it an "alleged terror incident".

Yes... alleged by you, just now, you loving wanker.

I dont think its that much of a stretch to say its allegedly a terror attack considering this is the exact M.O. that is most commonly being used by terrorists in the 1st world right now.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I'm just saying I've never seen you two in the same room together. And, yeah, me too.

A CP24 reporter is citing Sunnybrook saying they received 8 patients, one of whom has died.

https://twitter.com/stephaniesmyth/status/988505306929025025

I think the others are based on reports of covered bodies on the street.

It may also show that, but on the other hand the province seems to agree enough to have set up more than one taskforce to review use of force incidents and suggest new policy and training.

Yeah, I mean like if the national average is 0.2% and TPS is 1% that's 5x higher and should be looked into but the media has the public believing it's 80%. I'm not even saying that's a problem, the government represents the people and the media got the people to demand their government look into this. Good job media. To the point this guy thought he had a solid suicide plan and people are shocked it didn't work.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

patonthebach posted:

I dont think its that much of a stretch to say its allegedly a terror attack considering this is the exact M.O. that is most commonly being used by terrorists in the 1st world right now.

Maybe not, but I think it's irresponsible because we know very little about the person who did this. "Terrorist attack," like it or not, is a loaded term that has very specific implications in our media landscape.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

patonthebach posted:

People are speculating it's ISIS-type terrorism when in actuality it could be James Alex Fields Jr.-type terrorism

xtal fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 23, 2018

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 25, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/988473245497200643

Can't wait for the alt-right to take this out of context.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yikes.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/988473245497200643

Can't wait for the alt-right to take this out of context.

I almost made a post saying 'I can't wait to see what Nora Loreto thinks about this!' then decided to try and have some good taste for once but welp

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Leofish posted:

Maybe not, but I think it's irresponsible because we know very little about the person who did this. "Terrorist attack," like it or not, is a loaded term that has very specific implications in our media landscape.
A guy in a rented van killed 9 people by jumping the curb and plowing into them at high speed. Was cautious agnosticism the correct approach to Charlottesville?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Maybe in the absence of further information we could just all agree the driver was a stupid murderous rear end in a top hat whatever his self ascribed motivation and skip the giant uninformed slapfight?

Just a thought.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

patonthebach posted:

An Eau de terror if you will.

https://twitter.com/Spacing/status/988531721304866816

Wow the branding is here all ready.

Start your Cafe Press sites

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 25, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

EDIT:

Reince Penis posted:

Maybe in the absence of further information we could just all agree the driver was a stupid murderous rear end in a top hat whatever his self ascribed motivation and skip the giant uninformed slapfight?

Just a thought.

You're probably right.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 23, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

Boy, just imagine if all the pedestrians has been members of a hockey team! That would've made this a real tragedy deserving a nationwide outpouring of support.

Wow what an edgy take

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Is modern country the same as Nu-Country or is that a different thing?

I can't help with that but I can helpfully break down whatever metal you're listening to down into four distinct sub-categories OR I can tell you why whatever punk you're listening to isn't punk enough.

EDIT -- wow, the CBC news website has gone into full sensationalism mode.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It happened IN Toronto, the center of all things Canada. Obviously they are going to report the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sage Grimm posted:

It happened IN Toronto, the center of all things Canada. Obviously they are going to report the poo poo out of it.

North of bloor