Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I love that nobunaga is the goriest show airing and they can get away with it because its so cartoonish.

The most decapitations and throat slittings in a anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Usagi Drop is fine as long as you don't read past the time skip.

Kare Kano is also the same way.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I love that nobunaga is the goriest show airing and they can get away with it because its so cartoonish.

The most decapitations and throat slittings in a anime.

Nobunaga and Ninja owns

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RME posted:

Nobunaga and Ninja owns

I also really like that in addition to the action despite being a comedy it doesn't shy away from the serious drama of the era, this current arc is gonna be heartbreaking I bet by the end.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hadaka Apron posted:

The new episode of Binan High is a riot.

it was a surprisingly good ep, both for the setup/monster bits and how it built up cast dynamics

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wonder if the anime is going to cover Hitomi's military training in America

I think they might. It's before the time skip and they seem like they'll be making good progress, if the current pace is any indicator. It'll still miss out on a lot of really good stuff, but maybe it'll get a second season!

Also, I still don't understand why they call it Ninja Girl and Samurai Master on Crunchyroll, but that's neither here nor there. Anyways, after hearing some people talk about the show, it seems like it's a bit more complex than I first thought. Debating whether I should give it a shot or not. I'm a sucker for period pieces of all sorts and, since it's a short, it'd be easy enough to make time for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you're into the history of the period its definitely worth a look. It's mostly a comedy but it has some amount of meat on its bones, and the most recent material is fast approaching the end of Nobunaga's life, so.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

If you're into the history of the period its definitely worth a look. It's mostly a comedy but it has some amount of meat on its bones, and the most recent material is fast approaching the end of Nobunaga's life, so.

It treats its relationships and tension seriously but loves to blindside you with comedy to undercut it too which is fun. It's a rather accurate adaption of the events of the time period too, discounting the nobunaga pov meaning hes the most sympathetic daimyo and it being a comedy so everybody is very silly.

Silly is good though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

monk murdering aside nobunaga's pretty easy to sympathize with even looking at the history objectively since there's a lot of times where he seems like the only one taking legitimate, calculated steps to end the civil wars

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

monk murdering aside nobunaga's pretty easy to sympathize with even looking at the history objectively since there's a lot of times where he seems like the only one taking legitimate, calculated steps to end the civil wars

I'm very probunaga, I just meant that he's the object of the protaganists adoration so the show doesnt delve into any of the unsavoriness of the age.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm so pro nobunaga I have this little plastic toy shrine at the head of my staircase.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I also really like that in addition to the action despite being a comedy it doesn't shy away from the serious drama of the era, this current arc is gonna be heartbreaking I bet by the end.

Yeah it’s nice that it’s ultimately interested in the history and folk lore of the era

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I just watched Horse Girls 5 and my heart grew two sizes!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Whoever is in charge of the sound effects and mixing for horse girls is doing a hell of a job.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

StandardVC10 posted:

Amanchu Advance ep3 trip report: Katori-sensei is still the best teacher in anime, and I hope Teko overcomes her self-esteem issues.

:yeah:

Next episode has witches in it too!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Watched the first episode of Hisone to Masotan. I have no idea what to make of it, but there's this weird goofy charm to the whole thing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Picked up the first episode of Hinamatsuri, which absolutely lived up to the hype. Very absurd, very well-paced, very funny. The stinger at the end of episode 1 killed me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://files.catbox.moe/yyo9aw.webm
Plant girl is tough

Aisley is a cute dummy, really want a gif of her scurrying up and down trees :3:

Knorth fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 23, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Crossing Time is good this week too, what a goof of a teacher

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

This is a really silly show and is a good length for the types of gags it goes for.

After hearing a bit more about it, I may check out Nobunaga then. While I'm not super into the Sengoku Jidai, the period is interesting enough and the fact that Nobunaga isn't just the baddie, as is often the case, makes it stand out a bit.

Finally, I'm checking out on Magical Girl Ore. Despite my friend wanting to stick it out, the show's really not doing much for me, though that isn't too much of a surprise to me.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm quite enjoying the misadventures of Professor Layton's daughter; it's sweet and goofy, and it makes me tear up a little even if it's meant for kids. Also the stories are a bit crazed at times, like the latest episode was a team of scientists faking their own deaths to finish making a rocket ship so that one of the researchers could fulfill the childhood wish he made to his wife but it also meant he had to make his wife think he was dead and also he convinced his fellow researchers to pretend to be zombies to go out at night to buy food.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

discworld is all I read posted:

I'm quite enjoying the misadventures of Professor Layton's daughter; it's sweet and goofy, and it makes me tear up a little even if it's meant for kids. Also the stories are a bit crazed at times, like the latest episode was a team of scientists faking their own deaths to finish making a rocket ship so that one of the researchers could fulfill the childhood wish he made to his wife but it also meant he had to make his wife think he was dead and also he convinced his fellow researchers to pretend to be zombies to go out at night to buy food.

In general I love how Layton is always about something that looks supernatural but actually has a mundane explanation that's way more unrealistic than the supernatural one.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Qwertycoatl posted:

In general I love how Layton is always about something that looks supernatural but actually has a mundane explanation that's way more unrealistic than the supernatural one.

Also the basis for the entire scheme is a heart-wrenching tragedy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
mine gas turned that man into a bishie vampire

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

An entire fake London under actual London filled with actors to make Layton think time travel exists except it turns out it does and the ending makes me cry every time.

I'm not even going to try to jokingly explain what happened in the Phoenix Wright crossover because hoo boy.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 24, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Invisibility paint

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

An entire fake London under actual London filled with actors to make Layton think time travel exists except it turns out it does and the ending makes me cry every time.

I'm not even going to try to jokingly explain what happened in the Phoenix Wright crossover because hoo boy.

jfc

I've only just seen the talking bee get brutally killed and i did not expect the story to go in that direction

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Invisibility paint

No the paint isn't invisible, it's just in a very deep black that the town was hypnotized into not seeing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

i only played the first two laytons so lmao at this

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Layton games are a treasure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love them a lot.

The ghost that's haunting this town is actually a Loch Ness monster.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

discworld is all I read posted:

I'm quite enjoying the misadventures of Professor Layton's daughter; it's sweet and goofy, and it makes me tear up a little even if it's meant for kids.
Is the anime an adaptation of the game or set after it? I played part of the game on my phone when it came out but never finished it so I don't know if I should before looking at the anime or if it doesn't matter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I haven't played the game yet, but seeing as it's gonna be a 50-episode episodic kids anime, I'm guessing it doesn't really matter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Is the anime an adaptation of the game or set after it? I played part of the game on my phone when it came out but never finished it so I don't know if I should before looking at the anime or if it doesn't matter.

it's set after the games but i dont think it spoils anything since layton isnt a character in it

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Aggretsuko is really good, although some of the subtitles and song translations are a little iffy.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Surprise drama in Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori? We'll find out next time :v:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
would the Hinamatsuri anim be interesting if I already read the comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've been enjoying it but my memory of the manga is faded so ymmv.

• Locked thread