Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dongattack posted:

It was my nvidia drivers, preformed a clean install and everything is normal again.

nVidia drivers have been loving up VR for a while now. Not too surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The full 2.0 Vive Pro bundle is now available for sale for a whopping $1400.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Holy loving poo poo.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Republicans posted:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Republicans posted:

Maybe the 2.0 Lighthouses are really good....

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Maybe the 2.0 Lighthouses are really good....

They are if you have an empty warehouse you want to track.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

jubjub64 posted:

They are if you have an empty warehouse you want to track.

That 10m x 10m tracking area that gets bandied about requires 4 base stations, though. Gonna want a wireless adapter too, and god knows what they're gonna charge for that when a TPCast is $300.

Maybe they can bundle all that together for a nice, even two grand.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 23, 2018

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Bhodi posted:

:toot:

Anyone who hasn't jumped on the skyrimvr bandwagon might want to hold off a bit, now that SKSE works people are working on a vr version of skyui is soon to follow and I'd expect lots of things to flow from this, everything from pinning those wandering health/stamina/magicka bars to gesture casting to a inventory quick-equip through a toolbelt or something similar.

This is awesome. Hope someone does up at least a quick spell casting radial or something. I was enjoying magic more than I ever did in 2D Skyrim but the menu navigation was a pisser.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is awesome. Hope someone does up at least a quick spell casting radial or something. I was enjoying magic more than I ever did in 2D Skyrim but the menu navigation was a pisser.
How do you feel about voice based spell selection?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Republicans posted:

One of the few cases where "Pro" literally means "We don't expect consumers to buy it, this is for professional, money-making applications" instead of "really cool and expensive consumer products."

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Republicans posted:

LOL gently caress HTC.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Republicans posted:

Lmao, high priced tickets on the titanic folks

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

Lmao, high priced tickets on the titanic folks

In before someone says it’s affordable and ok.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

quote:

VIVE Wireless Adapter - Powered by Intel® WiGig Wireless
Most Powerful Audio & Visual Data Transmission at Over 60GHz

Can someone explain why I shouldn't be deathly afraid of being in the same room as one of these?

60 GHz apparently translates to 8 Gbps transfer speed, and it has relatively low range (30 ft?) since the high frequency is unable to pierce through walls. But still, such a high data rate sounds like brain cancer for a device strapped to your face.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TalkLittle posted:

Can someone explain why I shouldn't be deathly afraid of being in the same room as one of these?

60 GHz apparently translates to 8 Gbps transfer speed, and it has relatively low range (30 ft?) since the high frequency is unable to pierce through walls. But still, such a high data rate sounds like brain cancer for a device strapped to your face.

You're currently being bombarded by as high of frequencies as 430-750 THz.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://fortune.com/2018/04/23/htc-vive-pro-virtual-reality-business/

quote:

HTC Vive North America general manager Daniel O’Brien said that the company’s newest Vive Pro VR headset was specifically designed for corporate use, based on feedback from current customers.

Automakers, for example, wanted VR headsets with better resolution and visuals so that people could better see the icon on a dial of a virtual car, O’Brien said. Customers also wanted the bulky headsets to be more comfortable, which is important considering that some users could spend up to two hours using VR, he explained.

Although O’Brien concedes that consumers probably want VR headsets to display better graphics and be more comfortable, the new VR kit has a couple features specifically intended for businesses. One such feature includes software for IT managers to track and manage multiple Vive headsets behind corporate firewalls. Another feature is the ability to track a person’s movements within a 33-foot by 33-foot area when connecting multiple base stations.

O’Brien said that one automaker, Daimler, told him that it was difficult for people to look at a virtual car from all angles when limited to a 15 foot by 15 foot area like the Vive Pro’s predecessor. Customers should be able to “look at [the car] from a distance and walk to it,” he said, which makes for a more lifelike experience. It should be noted that companies will have to buy two more additional base stations if they want that maximum 33-foot by 33-foot area.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Sure buddy. We'll see what HTC has to say when Oculus rolls out a Rift with the same resolution as the Vive Pro for less than half the price.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

D1E posted:

Sure buddy. We'll see what HTC has to say when Oculus rolls out a Rift with the same resolution as the Vive Pro for less than half the price.

They'll probably try to release a consumer headset, then. Good job figuring that one out?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

EbolaIvory posted:

In before someone says it’s affordable and ok.
The price difference between normal vive and vive pro is about the same as the difference between low and high end video cards.

Neither are affordable, but I suppose that's the sort of market they're targeting.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShadowHawk posted:

The price difference between normal vive and vive pro is about the same as the difference between low and high end video cards.

The Vive pro isnt a 1080ti compared to a 1060. Its like, a 1070ti to a 1080 base.

I mean. Lets be real here. And its not worth over 2X the cost. Sorry."

ShadowHawk posted:

Neither are affordable, but I suppose that's the sort of market they're targeting.

Base VR these days is actually affordable* even the base vive package is down quite a ways.

*To people who have the equipment to run it typically.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 24, 2018

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

HTC are explicitly saying this headset is not targeted towards consumers and gamers, but is instead meant for businesses. Apparently it features a number of under-the-hood improvements meant for trade show demos and the like.

quote:

HTC’s older VR headset, Vive, was geared to video gamers looking to race cars in digital worlds. The company is taking a different strategy with the Vive Pro, based on what it’s learned since the Vive premiered in 2016, HTC executives explained.

Adoption of virtual reality has been limited by the cost of pricey headsets as well as the beefy computers required to power them. But while the average consumer may not be able to spend big money on VR gear, HTC believes corporations have the cash to do so, if they believe VR can help their business and save money on things like workplace safety training and maintenance.

IMHO people thinking the price is high are way off base because while it's high for a consumer, it's peanuts for a business expense. They could have charged 3K and gotten away with it. Tons of B2B specific items cost that much and nobody bats an eye.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

friendly 2 da void posted:

HTC are explicitly saying this headset is not targeted towards consumers and gamers, but is instead meant for businesses. Apparently it features a number of under-the-hood improvements meant for trade show demos and the like.

IMHO people thinking the price is high are way off base because while it's high for a consumer, it's peanuts for a business expense. They could have charged 3K and gotten away with it. Tons of B2B specific items cost that much and nobody bats an eye.

This is partly true but mostly a bullshit excuse to cover for the fact that they are fleecing their customer base which is SOP for them. The second a steamVR native company like them releases a real product they are going to get crushed.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I’d fire anyone spending company money on a Vive Pro.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
...crushed by releasing a product to its intended audience, which isn't SteamVR consumers? :confused:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The "intended audience" poo poo about corporate customers is lip service to justify the price. It comes with steam download codes for games. It's a consumer device you can buy at big box retailers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GutBomb posted:

The "intended audience" poo poo about corporate customers is lip service to justify the price. It comes with steam download codes for games. It's a consumer device you can buy at big box retailers.

Seriously. If it was intended for corporate audiences why is that all of a sudden coming out now at the last second?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I'm pretty sure it was always referred to in that way?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

They used the word "prosumer", which is pretty terrible all by itself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it were a business device, it would cost several thousand dollars and come with customized support from HTC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BonoMan posted:

Seriously. If it was intended for corporate audiences why is that all of a sudden coming out now at the last second?

Because otherwise people would be complaining they can't buy it at retail, regardless of price.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The real nail in the coffin I think is that $1400 doesn't buy you a commercial license to use the vive pro. You have to spend an additional 299 I believe for a commercial license.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
two levels of support for business. 199 and 299 for these subscriptions.

And one of the major uses of VR headsets is demonstrations and arcades.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Like hey the price is goofy but who cares this much just don't buy it. It doesn't even have any specific lock-out software or anything.

if HTC is dumb as stupid and smells like two farts inside of another fart then they'll fail with their terrible VR business practices and someone else will take their place and we can all bitch about what they do as a company.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Its basically been one long slow news day for VR since GDC, it was just revealed and is something to talk about. :shrug:

You have a good new avatar btw.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Wasn't it known from the start the business plan was fleece nerds/corps with too much money and then eventually drop the price for more mass market appeal? I don't really see the problem.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Parallelwoody posted:

Wasn't it known from the start the business plan was fleece nerds/corps with too much money and then eventually drop the price for more mass market appeal? I don't really see the problem.

I think the problem with that plan is they pissed off a lot of customers and alienated potential ones. When it comes time to finally lower the price though, they risk pimax, LG, Samsung, some other windows headsets, or oculus announcing or releasing something that leapfrogs the vive pro for 1/3 the cost.

Samsung already has a comparable resolution headset for 1/3 the cost.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

This is really it right here. Sure, lighthouse is much better than whatever the Odyssey uses, but that's not even factored into the price of the Pro headset. If the Samsung headset didn't exist, I could see how HTC wants to make some money on their headset at first and then lower it later. But a similar headset with around the same specs already exists for a lower price. The entire odyssey experience is 300 dollars cheaper than just the Vive Pro headset. HTC already tried the "more expensive for premium" strategy with a headset that was inferior in some ways to the competition. I'm not buying that this headset is somehow worth twice the price of other VR headsets.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

GutBomb posted:

Not only that, I don't know about the US but in the UK you can get it on finance and pay £30 a month for 2 years for it. What loving company needs to get comedy finance for a headset.

https://www.vive.com/uk/financing/

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tom Guycot posted:

I think the problem with that plan is they pissed off a lot of customers and alienated potential ones. When it comes time to finally lower the price though, they risk pimax, LG, Samsung, some other windows headsets, or oculus announcing or releasing something that leapfrogs the vive pro for 1/3 the cost.

Dont forget it still has lovely HTC design issues and piss poor customer support! For $1400!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

TalkLittle posted:

Can you explain why you should be? Bearing in mind that "big numbers are scary" is not an adequate excuse.