Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

A lot of the old-guard blockbuster film-makers who came up in the seventies and eighties have expressed a dissatisfaction with the current state of big-budget cinema. Spielberg, love him though I do, was making similar comments not too long ago, and I think it comes from that fact that these guys are old and grumpy, and when you helped define a paradigm, when it changes it breeds discomfort.

The thing is; everything is changing with cinema. Distribution models are being blown wide open, marketing is mutating, and the kind of blockbuster entertainment that people want to consume has completely transformed. I remember when I was a kid there was a commonly held maxim that "the sequels are always inferior to the original", but that idea seems alien now, now films are explicitly designed for sequels, with the real juicy story details being held back for Part 2 or 3. Some of the (bad) criticism of the (good) The Last Jedi was people complaining that they didn't know how the third entry would go based on the ending, as if the idea of a finale feeling rounded and complete felt wrong.

So, I wouldn't be too hard on Cameron, his arguments are misguided but he's just lashing out a system that has somewhat left him behind, audiences want something else now. And in another thirty years what they want will be unrecognizable to us now. And so it goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cam footage of Venom in the new trailer before it hits.
https://twitter.com/TheAgeOfThanos/status/988533409839484928

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 23, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is shockingly not terrible!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not digging the transformation, but Venom actually looks pretty good there.

Still can't give a poo poo about the movie though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah that... actually looks pretty good. Why didn't they wait until they could show this first?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

I think it looks great, very much how they did it in the 90's toon.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Karloff posted:

So, I wouldn't be too hard on Cameron, his arguments are misguided but he's just lashing out a system that has somewhat left him behind, audiences want something else now. And in another thirty years what they want will be unrecognizable to us now. And so it goes on.

Cameron’s made 2 movies in the last 20 years so don’t think it’s the system that left him behind.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WHOOPS posted:

Cameron’s made 2 movies in the last 20 years so don’t think it’s the system that left him behind.

Excluding documentaries, he's made one movie in the last 20 years; Titanic was 21 years ago. :v:

Edit: fun (?) fact: Whedon says Cameron was the main influence on how he directed the action scenes in the Avengers movies.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 23, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

catlord posted:

Yeah that... actually looks pretty good. Why didn't they wait until they could show this first?

I can only imagine a locked in teaser date got ahead of effects being ready.
There were a couple of obvious shots in there of people being attacked and cars flipping where the tendrils would be added in the final thing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Edit: fun (?) fact: Whedon says Cameron was the main influence on how he directed the action scenes in the Avengers movies.

No wonder Cameron feels insulted by these films, then.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Why does this look good

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I feel like the eyes could be bigger but ain’t gonna get my panties in a wad. That looks pretty sweet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn't it already come out that that is likely at the very very end of the film? Unless they responded to the negative feelings of the first trailer with some changes to the movie itself.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I hope it's not the end so we can get a movie full of Venom's mouth flopping like a Muppet whenever he talks.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't know why they have texture on the symbiote, but whatever. I also don't like the transformation, but what can you do.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I like it. It really comes off as a pile of goo trying its hardest to be a solid mask.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

I don't know why they have texture on the symbiote, but whatever. I also don't like the transformation, but what can you do.

I mean, it's a living, alien creature.

Gavok posted:

I like it. It really comes off as a pile of goo trying its hardest to be a solid mask.

This.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jamesman posted:

Exactly how I feel. Looks great, but Venom is really low on the characters I give a poo poo about. It won't even have secondary characters I care about.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Venom looks really goofy with the mouth moving. Sorry.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You think talking without his mouth moving would look less weird?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't it already come out that that is likely at the very very end of the film?

If the leaks are anything to go by, yeah, he doesn't get the classic look until he goes to eat Riz Ahmed's brains or whatever.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

You think talking without his mouth moving would look less weird?

Worked for Malebolgia in the Spawn movie!

...wait, no it didn't.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really dig that Venom transformation. It looks like a gross living ferrofluid.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Venom mouth could just hand loose open while he talked from inside. That'd look creepy.

edit: Like Clayface has been done recently.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Web of Shadows did that. It was only in like one cutscene but it looked cool as hell

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Exactly how I feel. Looks great, but Venom is really low on the characters I give a poo poo about. It won't even have secondary characters I care about.

It's just off-putting to me to completely disconnect Venom from Spider-Man. It's like they skipped 2 or 3 movies here.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm just hoping it's a good, gritty Jekyll + Hyde movie. Tie-ins are the least concern.
Zero wider comic book world connections would be just fine.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 24, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jamesman posted:

It's just off-putting to me to completely disconnect Venom from Spider-Man. It's like they skipped 2 or 3 movies here.

Yeah, the three movies before Homecoming.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Jamesman posted:

Don't worry, they're going to cram all three of those movies into this one. Now I know what you're thinking, "how will it all fit?" Well you see, by removing certain elements like Spider-Man.....

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Retro Futurist posted:

Web of Shadows did that. It was only in like one cutscene but it looked cool as hell

They had something like that in Ultimate Spider-Man. The first time the symbiote freaked out on Spider-Man and became Venom-like, you could see Peter's horrified eye peaking from its mouth.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

https://twitter.com/VenomMovie/status/988624564044288000

"Eddie..."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So it’s The Darkness. Yeah that works

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's a durable hoodie.

Retro Futurist posted:

Now I'm sad that that's not Mike Patton's voice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That actually looks good. So of course that's every good scene from the film.

Retro Futurist posted:

The Darkness is a massive ripoff of Venom.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Has anyone made a graph with Venom, Deadpool, Spawn, the Darkness, Ghost Rider, etc;?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

That actually looks good. So of course that's every good scene from the film.

Can't be true. The trailer doesn't have Woody Harrelson in it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm gonna set my ringtone to Jenny Slate saying "symbiote"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh hey the company is called the Life Foundation so LIFE was indeed a stealth Venom prequel.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Sim-bye-oat?

Tell me I haven't been mispronouncing it for years. I was under the impression it was sim-bee-oat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm gonna set my ringtone to Jenny Slate saying "symbiote"

I love Jenny Slate, but that was the worst pronunciation possible.

• Locked thread