Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ak Gara posted:

Are cars not coming with dedicated side indicator lights anymore?

Those are pretty rare these days. I can't remember when I last saw one and I can see why you don't have them any more. They aren't sexy, another hole to cut, more wiring that adds complexity and costs. Easier just to make a hole bigger. So no, if you can't see the current blinkers it's poo poo design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Aren't they all just on the side mirror enclosure now?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Some, hope you can see that much of the car that's about to turn into your path!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

What is even happening here? Is he wearing a tinfoil covered pyramid on his head or something?

Deteriorata posted:

Just as an aside, Prest-o-lite was the first successful automobile headlight system, as a proper electric light hadn't been figured out yet. It was enormously profitable and one of the company's founders built the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I'm not aware of any problems due to the systems on the cars proper, but there were some spectacular explosions at the shops that were refilling the tanks.

I thought that name sounded familiar. They had a big plant in Cleveland back in the 80s.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

What is even happening here? Is he wearing a tinfoil covered pyramid on his head or something?

Recreationally falling off ladders is apparently a thing now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OIvR3Dtes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8zk-Rt6FHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LYyrIJlns8

Wacky headwear seems to be optional

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edit: Wrong thread.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 23, 2018

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Whoever wrote that (and/or chose that font) is a real fuckstick, along with anyone else who was involved with the decision about the fire exit.

therobit fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 23, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The best part is in the event of a fire, that sign might burn up, leaving everyone without a way to know where the "alternative exit" is!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The best part is in the event of a fire, that sign might burn up, leaving everyone without a way to know where the "alternative exit" is!

And even if it doesn't burn right away, quickly developing smoke can make it immediately unreadable.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wrong. If the balloons contain pure hydrogen they'd give a small pop and large fire whoosh, like you see in the video.

However, if the balloons contain knallgas, a 2:1 by volume mixture of hydrogen and oxygen, THAT'S when you get the loud bang.

As demonstrated masterfully in this chemistry lecture:
https://archive.org/details/ucberkeley_webcast_7157ZAhN7gg
The YouTube version seems to be gone; fun starts about 25 minutes in.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Last night I dreamed I had revolutionised warehouse work by combining Segways and forklifts. The Forkway, if you will. (Seglift sounds like a medical procedure)

Something like this:

All the precision of a Segway* combined with the need to accurately control the forks somehow while balancing on a wobbling, moving platform.

In my dream, the driver immediately went around a right angled turn at speed, flew off into shelving and hosed himself up.

I'm prepared to accept venture capitalist donations. Even millions only, please.

* ha

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Email that directly to Elon Musk

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's yellow. he'd be rejected outright

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Prav posted:

it's yellow. he'd be rejected outright

paint it concrete gray and remove the warning lights and you have a billion dollar enterprise on your hands

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo it took me weeks but I finally finished reading this thread, which is great because over the weekend I found some local content!

This is safe right?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Last night I dreamed I had revolutionised warehouse work by combining Segways and forklifts. The Forkway, if you will. (Seglift sounds like a medical procedure)

Something like this:

All the precision of a Segway* combined with the need to accurately control the forks somehow while balancing on a wobbling, moving platform.

In my dream, the driver immediately went around a right angled turn at speed, flew off into shelving and hosed himself up.

I'm prepared to accept venture capitalist donations. Even millions only, please.

* ha

You sir are a genius

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Holy poo poo it took me weeks but I finally finished reading this thread, which is great because over the weekend I found some local content!

This is safe right?

The most disturbing part is that these both appear to be held up by pushpins.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mezzanon posted:

This is safe right?

ARGH MY EYEBALLS

THEY'RE SO SMOOTH AND NOURISHED

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Something like this:

* ha

You mean something like this?

These things are electrically powered, accelerate and turn like crazy and go way too fast for the factory floors they're commonly used in. Also, I've never seen anyone use one of those without driving them like a maniac.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Carbon dioxide posted:

These things are electrically powered, accelerate and turn like crazy and go way too fast for the factory floors they're commonly used in. Also, I've never seen anyone use one of those without driving them like a maniac.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2dvKEy6Xo

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Carbon dioxide posted:

The warehouse I used to work at we called it the toecrusher.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Carbon dioxide posted:

Put it on a freshly oiled factory floor, and I can hear the eurobeat from here.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gunshow Poophole posted:

ARGH MY EYEBALLS

THEY'RE SO SMOOTH AND NOURISHED
This post is killing me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Pretty good description of an electric pallet truck being driven by most warehouse staff.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Suddenly, a gust!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Platystemon posted:

Suddenly, a gust!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

magical

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

amazing

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

You are a treasure

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Beautiful :D

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I am blown away.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

I am blown away.

:allears:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zil posted:

The warehouse I used to work at we called it the toecrusher.

???

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

...nightrider.....

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

always like controls where you end up further engaging the mechanism trying to kill you as you attempt to cling onto a joystick for dear life

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

For once someone sent a poet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006