Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
There are a bunch of fuel filters that look like spin on oil filters.
The box will say "fuel" or "oil". Don't know what the difference is though.

They *seem* to be roughly the same kind of poo poo. Paper element, gasket in the usual spot etc. In a pinch you might be able to use one for the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
hey, 2000 Toyota corolla is back.

Today I was changing the spark plugs. the last 3 were easy, i put anti-seize, bada bing bada boom. the first one is stuck. i used an extra wrench for leverage but i could not get it out. i googled 'stuck spark plug' and i mainly saw to buy PB Blaster, and soak it over night.

is there any advice beyond this? I would NOT want to pay someone for this, especially if i got 3 out of 4. But it is possible to damage the engine if I push/pull to hard right?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Don't put antiseize on spark plugs (unless they're black).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

They *seem* to be roughly the same kind of poo poo. Paper element, gasket in the usual spot etc. In a pinch you might be able to use one for the other.

I'm prepared to be corrected here by the experts but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a good idea, even if possible.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm prepared to be corrected here by the experts but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a good idea, even if possible.

Yeah, just the difference in viscosities between oil and gasoline would necessitate significant differences in the filter media and construction. While they may both be paper elements in metal cans, the filtering capacity of a fuel filter is probably nowhere near large enough for engine oil. The oil would probably rip the fuel filter to shreds.

Given the amount of effort it would take to kludge one to fit the other, it doesn't seem worth the risk.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wesleywillis posted:

You're thinking of fuel filters for larger diesel engines - those are often a similar type of filter. You won't see those on, say, a diesel VW, but you might see them on some diesel pickups, and you definitely see them on stationary engines (think diesel generators, pumps, etc) and 18 wheelers.

And uh, how would you connect fuel lines to a spin-on filter if the vehicle doesn't already use that type of filter?

EightBit posted:

Go look it up on crutchfield.com, you might need a new center trim piece shaped to fit standard radio sizes and wiring harnesses.

Crutchfield only deals with North American vehicles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

And uh, how would you connect fuel lines to a spin-on filter if the vehicle doesn't already use that type of filter?

Where there's a will, there's a Summit catalog full of AN fittings! :pseudo:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

Where there's a will, there's a Summit catalog full of AN fittings! :pseudo:

Hell yeah I spent way too much time looking for a spin on fuel filter for my custom setup.

I don’t remember why I didn’t get this one though... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-10100

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

jiggerypokery posted:

I want to upgrade the radio in my Opel Vivaro to allow bluetooth connection with my phone. Digital radio would be sweet too. USB would do, as long as it charges at the same time.

Question is, how the gently caress do you know whether a particular radio will fit my van? Is it a difficult job?
It's not a difficult job. I'm basically incompetent and I've done it twice in two different cars.

Spend some time in a shop that sells car audio (not just installs it, or only installs what they sell. Someplace that will sell you the stuff to do it yourself). There are a zillion options for headunits (the name for a car's radio), what you're looking for should be easy to find. Once you've found some options you like, you'll need to think about fitting it into your van. Every new headunit comes with a wiring diagram that tells you how to hook it up, but it's easier and faster to find the right wire harness that will connect a Sony (or whatever) headunit to an Opel system. And the surround - the round plastic that fills the space in the dash around the rectangular headunit. The store that sells the car audio will sell the correct surround for your van.

I found a video showing the interior of an Opel Vivaro (I don't know if yours is similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i05fdFNb9B0) and it looks like there's a backup camera display there. Do you have a backup camera? That might make things a bit more complicated, or just make the choices that will work more expensive.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Entirely different things. Fuel filters often look like a can with a pipe going into either end, oil filters are the spin-on oil filters or cartridges.

If you have the V6 durango the only fuel filter you've got may be integrated with the pump, hence lack of results.

It's the SLT v8 4.7. But it's probably a case of it being integrated with the pump. The fuel pump was just replaced recently, so I should be good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Hell yeah I spent way too much time looking for a spin on fuel filter for my custom setup.

I don’t remember why I didn’t get this one though... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-10100

You just know somewhere out there, someone has bodged enough anodized aluminum and braided hose together to run their fuel through a PH8A.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

now im driving the car, and theres a light hesitation when accelerating. it doesnt last last long, but it seems consistent. while in park I pressed the gas (not like a ton but enough) and it seems kind of like a hiccup? i once again checked the internet and a few people said to unplug the battery, or have someone read the code even if the engine light isnt on (though it is and has been on for the last day), or drive a hundred miles and see if its still happening.

because im going to get pb blaster anyways Ill have autozone check my code. any advice?

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
You may want to try disconnecting the battery. Odds are if your spark plugs were really bad the mix may be way out of whack and disconnecting the battery for a minute and re-connecting will reset it to defaults and it'll re tune itself for there. It can relearn from where it is but it will take a lot longer.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One of my rear shocks is leaking on my 06 Honda Odyssey. OEM replacement shocks are $100 each, which sounds expensive. I also see some on Amazon for $40 each which sound suspiciously cheap.
What's a brand that sits at a good spot on the price/performance curve? Also, what's a good place to buy it from?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

You just know somewhere out there, someone has bodged enough anodized aluminum and braided hose together to run their fuel through a PH8A.

Seriously considered that on the Beetle before I flushed the tank out with vinegar and a chain.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

canyoneer posted:

One of my rear shocks is leaking on my 06 Honda Odyssey. OEM replacement shocks are $100 each, which sounds expensive. I also see some on Amazon for $40 each which sound suspiciously cheap.
What's a brand that sits at a good spot on the price/performance curve? Also, what's a good place to buy it from?

Rockauto is a pretty reliable go-to for parts.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2006,odyssey,3.5l+v6,1432209,suspension,shock+absorber,7556

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Entirely different things. Fuel filters often look like a can with a pipe going into either end, oil filters are the spin-on oil filters or cartridges.

If you have the V6 durango the only fuel filter you've got may be integrated with the pump, hence lack of results.

I really hate this new trend of integrated filters. It makes no drat sense to me at all.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Does a vehicle make it out of warranty without issue? Not our problem after that :smug:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This is a bit dumb, apologies in advance.
My VW Polo 2005 1.4L petrol has had its Emissions Control Light lit on the dash for ages. I originally got it sorted a couple years ago, and I suspect that the system is still fine and there's nothing mechanically wrong, it's just that the light is still on due to that electrical system not having been reset. The garage who did the initial fix said as much.

I just need some advice as to what the mechanical issue (that caused the ECL to come on in the first place) is likely to have been as I've loving forgotten. It was something like some system on the exhaust(??) had got clogged(??) due to the exhaust being too fuel-rich(??) or something. All the garage did was put a bit of additive in the fuel, I did a drive out of town and back and took it in to them, and it was all sorted - the additive had cleaned out whatever deposit had built up in whatever system it was.

(Then the light came back on a bit after, which the bloke at the garage had said was quite likely to happen and I could bring it back in and he'd reset the system for free for me. I never bothered to go back in, because I'm an idiot.)

Anyone have any ideas what the mechanical fault would've been?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

El Grillo posted:

This is a bit dumb, apologies in advance.
My VW Polo 2005 1.4L petrol has had its Emissions Control Light lit on the dash for ages. I originally got it sorted a couple years ago, and I suspect that the system is still fine and there's nothing mechanically wrong, it's just that the light is still on due to that electrical system not having been reset. The garage who did the initial fix said as much.

I just need some advice as to what the mechanical issue (that caused the ECL to come on in the first place) is likely to have been as I've loving forgotten. It was something like some system on the exhaust(??) had got clogged(??) due to the exhaust being too fuel-rich(??) or something. All the garage did was put a bit of additive in the fuel, I did a drive out of town and back and took it in to them, and it was all sorted - the additive had cleaned out whatever deposit had built up in whatever system it was.

(Then the light came back on a bit after, which the bloke at the garage had said was quite likely to happen and I could bring it back in and he'd reset the system for free for me. I never bothered to go back in, because I'm an idiot.)

Anyone have any ideas what the mechanical fault would've been?

Do you mean the EPC light (Literally the letters EPC in lamp form) or the check engine light (a little engine)?

It could have numerous causes, most likely it's the EGR valve and/or tube being clogged going from the mechanic's description. An additive won't do much but you can clean them by removing from the engine and using some carb or throttle body cleaner.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^that was it! I had thought it was somewhere along the exhaust itself hence why I couldn't find it while googling I guess - looks like in fact EGR valve is usually between the intake and the exhaust manifold, which would make more sense given their function lol.

And yeah, it was the EML/check engine yellow lamp; VW seems to also call that the Emissions Control Lamp (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warning-lights).

At least now I can go tell the mechanic I'm getting my MOT from what he should probably look for with this. Hopefully it's just the light. Thanks!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

El Grillo posted:

^^that was it! I had thought it was somewhere along the exhaust itself hence why I couldn't find it while googling I guess - looks like in fact EGR valve is usually between the intake and the exhaust manifold, which would make more sense given their function lol.

And yeah, it was the EML/check engine yellow lamp; VW seems to also call that the Emissions Control Lamp (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warning-lights).

At least now I can go tell the mechanic I'm getting my MOT from what he should probably look for with this. Hopefully it's just the light. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scanner-Engine-OBD-II-Diagnostic-LITOON-UK/dp/B072HF3SXN/ref=sr_1_3
Buy one of these code readers and you can a) find out exactly what the problem is and b) make the light go away

If you have an android phone, buy an ELM327 dongle and the free Torque app instead.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Oh goddamn that is cool. Ordered.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Planning to buy a 2016 Honda Civic Ex-T 1.5L with 35k miles. Any input on gasoline consumption? The Civic forums are a combination of "it doesn't matter," "carbon buildup in lower octanes!!," "well it's efficient anyway so why NOT run premium [this logic makes no sense to me]?".

So, here I stand in the AI Stupid Question Thread, looking for answers. Also, other input on this car such as "DON'T BUY IT HONDA HAS A TERRIBLE TRACK RECORD WITH TURBOS" is welcome, though not expected.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cretin90 posted:

Planning to buy a 2016 Honda Civic Ex-T 1.5L with 35k miles. Any input on gasoline consumption? The Civic forums are a combination of "it doesn't matter," "carbon buildup in lower octanes!!," "well it's efficient anyway so why NOT run premium [this logic makes no sense to me]?".

So, here I stand in the AI Stupid Question Thread, looking for answers. Also, other input on this car such as "DON'T BUY IT HONDA HAS A TERRIBLE TRACK RECORD WITH TURBOS" is welcome, though not expected.

Check the CarFax, make sure it wasn't a rental. That year and mileage makes me nervous.

Honda's been making turbos for 30-odd years now. It's not that complicated. Don't worry about that aspect of it.

The standard answer for regular vs. premium is that cars have knock sensors and will advance the timing as far as the fuel's octane rating will allow. Premium will give you more power and a bit better efficiency (moreso with a turbocharged engine), which somewhat offsets its higher price. The price of premium is generally much higher than regular at the moment, however, so if saving money is your main goal you're probably money ahead with regular. You could compromise with midgrade.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Check the CarFax, make sure it wasn't a rental. That year and mileage makes me nervous.

Honda's been making turbos for 30-odd years now. It's not that complicated. Don't worry about that aspect of it.

The standard answer for regular vs. premium is that cars have knock sensors and will advance the timing as far as the fuel's octane rating will allow. Premium will give you more power and a bit better efficiency (moreso with a turbocharged engine), which somewhat offsets its higher price. The price of premium is generally much higher than regular at the moment, however, so if saving money is your main goal you're probably money ahead with regular. You could compromise with midgrade.

Heh, you and the A/T buying thread think alike. First thing I did was ask for a carfax. It's a one owner trade in after the owner moved from Indiana. It has no accidents or any history other than being bought, serviced, and traded in.

So other than possibly improving my performance by ~6 HP (according to the civic guys) and 1-2 mpg, which doesn't particularly interest me at an additional $0.30-0.50/gallon, are there any long term benefits to using premium? I'm mostly thinking of turbo lifespan and repairs.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

resetting the battery seems to have worked. still working on the stuck plug.

a non-related question: ive never driven very far in this car before (beyond 30 miles one-way and back). a friend will be in a nearby city 140 miles away. How do i know if my car can handle this? its never broken down before, but i grew up with a family that only ever owned poo poo mobiles that always broke.

i have roadside assistance with geico. im not certain i could afford a 140 mile tow..

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cretin90 posted:

Heh, you and the A/T buying thread think alike. First thing I did was ask for a carfax. It's a one owner trade in after the owner moved from Indiana. It has no accidents or any history other than being bought, serviced, and traded in.

So other than possibly improving my performance by ~6 HP (according to the civic guys) and 1-2 mpg, which doesn't particularly interest me at an additional $0.30-0.50/gallon, are there any long term benefits to using premium? I'm mostly thinking of turbo lifespan and repairs.

The turbo is completely disconnected from the grade of fuel you use. Oil quality will affect it, because the turbo will be part of the oil system.

If the car is designed to run regular run regular.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Wrar posted:

The turbo is completely disconnected from the grade of fuel you use. Oil quality will affect it, because the turbo will be part of the oil system.

If the car is designed to run regular run regular.

Helpful thanks. Owners manual says use 87 or higher, "Honda recommends TOP TIER Detergent gasoline where available."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cretin90 posted:

Helpful thanks. Owners manual says use 87 or higher, "Honda recommends TOP TIER Detergent gasoline where available."

Top Tier has nothing to do with octane. Use 87.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Top Tier basically means don't use extra-chunky gas from JOE BOB'S PUMP AND DUMP. Pretty sure nearly every widely available brand meets it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

a non-related question: ive never driven very far in this car before (beyond 30 miles one-way and back). a friend will be in a nearby city 140 miles away. How do i know if my car can handle this? its never broken down before, but i grew up with a family that only ever owned poo poo mobiles that always broke.

i have roadside assistance with geico. im not certain i could afford a 140 mile tow..

Geico's roadside will only take you a handful of miles, and counts as an insurance claim. AAA Plus would be better (up to 200 miles on the first tow, up to 100 on others), but it does cost more, and you have to pay for the full year up front (upside is, using AAA doesn't count as a loving insurance claim like Geico's roadside - and most other "roadside assistance" offered by insurance companies - does).

Check the condition of belt(s) and hoses. If the belt(s) show any cracks, replace them before the trip. If the hoses feel brittle or look like they're bulging, replace them. If they feel softish (while remaining firm, if that makes sense), they're probably fine. Check your tires for proper inflation (INCLUDING THE SPARE!), make sure they're not dry rotted. Make sure oil and coolant are topped off (check coolant when the engine is stone cold).

FWIW, highway miles are the easiest miles in the world for a car; it just sucks a lot more if you do break down on a road trip.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Top Tier basically means don't use extra-chunky gas from JOE BOB'S PUMP AND DUMP. Pretty sure nearly every widely available brand meets it.

To expand on this, I'd say it's much more important to hit a gas station that's busy - that way you know they have high turnover, meaning their fuel doesn't have a chance to go stale. Almost all of the fuel in a given area comes from the same refineries or storage tanks; the additive package is what determines if it's "top tier" or not. A regional chain (QuikTrip, or QT) flat out admits that all fuel at their stations come from the same place as all other fuels in the area (which is the big secret that the industry really doesn't want you to know), but they're still considered Top Tier. Their stations tend to have very high turnover, and their additive package is what makes their fuel top tier.

Busy stations are a lot more likely to properly maintain their tanks, pumps, and filters vs Joe Bob's Pump, Hooker Dump, Bait, and Taxidermy. I'm also a lot more likely to trust fuel from a corporate owned store vs an independent that happens to sell, say, Shell or Chevron. I know how much maintenance goes into the Shell down the road from me just from BSing with the manager (pretty much zero until poo poo breaks or the filters get so clogged that it takes several minutes to get a single gallon out of a pump), for example, but I know they have high turnover due to being right on a major highway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 25, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
To add even more: there are filters on every pump nozzle, inside the body of the pump. They (to bring the conversation kinda back to what we were talking about) look a lot like spin-on oil filters. There is also an additional final mesh filter usually in the nozzle itself. A busy gas station not only gets fresh gas in the tank all the time (meaning you get less dead raccoons or boulders of grime in the underground tank, from frequent flushing), but has to change those filters pretty regularly, because they do get clogged up. Have you ever gone to a gas station and had it pump reeeeaaaalllyyyyy slowly? That's normally not a pump issue, but a clogged filter issue. The really, really remote "Bob's Tar and Gas 'n Chikn on the Cob" fill stations? Well, they make filter bypass kits. You can find them at the hardware store, but they have a funny name. "Awl." Huh, weird.

As for long trips, think of it like this: Add up the mileage of a normal workweek commute. If you work 4 days a week, 30 miles a day, that's 120 miles right there. Do you trust your car for that? Do you do a special check-off of the general health under your hood each Sunday? I mean, you kinda should, but bet you don't. Give everything under the hood a good once-over with your eyeballs, and maybe even start the engine up and check with your earballs, too. Check the coolant overflow bottle (should have something about halfway up in it on a hot engine, or nearly empty on a cold one, but never completely empty), the oil, the power steering and brake fluids. Also, if it's easy to access (:argh: Toyota), pop the air filter out and give it a few whacks on the side of the tire to knock the dust loose, then re-install.

Boom, road-trip ready.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Check the coolant overflow bottle (should have something about halfway up in it on a hot engine, or nearly empty on a cold one, but never completely empty)

This really depends on the car. GM's usually use a pressurized surge tank instead of an overflow - it's usually the highest point in the cooling system, has the "radiator cap" screwed into it, is plumbed directly into the cooling system instead of just getting the overflow/vacuum, and it should always remain relatively close to the same level. On mine, halfway up is the "cold full" mark, and it goes up very slightly when the engine is hot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ok, that last post got me thinking.

I've got a 2012 Wrangler 3.6L. These engines are kind of notorious (and there seems to have been a class action suit filed last year over this) for having leftover casting sand from the cylinder heads loving up the water jackets/radiators/heater cores. My heater core was definitely hosed, noticeably at 40k miles. Conveniently, the cooling system is not considered part of the power train, so that was a $3,000 quote to repair. I did it myself, along with a new radiator, thermostat, and hoses. As much as I could replace, and I flushed it until it appeared to be good then I flushed it again. Didn't want to deal with it again. Fail.

The heater core keeps clogging. I made a little ~1gallon pressure chamber out of ABS that I fill with water and pressurize with an air compressor to try to force the poo poo out. I collected an absurd amount of crap the first few times. It's kind of a hassle, so I found an inline filter to install in the heater inlet hose. It collects all kinds of poo poo. A shocking amount. But I've noticed that it's not all the fine sand and crud I was initially getting out of the heater core...it's also tiny pebbles. Sometimes around 1mm diameter. That seems way too big to be casting sand, and they're not uniform in color.

How the hell is this stuff getting into my engine? It uses a standard overflow bottle, which does have a tiny vent hole, but it's in a really weird place to be taking stuff in...it mounts on the back of the radiator, high up. The hole faces downward but to get inside a rock would have to fly up a good 3 feet (it's forward of the tires) go up a narrow tube, fall into the overflow bottle, and get sucked up by a hose that's not even at the bottom of it.

Edit: Three pictures I took a while ago.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 25, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

STR posted:

using AAA doesn't count as a loving insurance claim like Geico's roadside - and most other "roadside assistance" offered by insurance companies - does).
Holy loving :lol:
If my calls to CAA had counted as insurance claims I would by uninsurable by now. I've made 16 calls to CAA in three provinces since 2009. I had a year of zero calls but otherwise I'm at a steady 2/yr across five different cars.

Why yes, most of those cars were old enough to drink, why do you ask?

Edgar Allan Pwned, get AAA. There was another poster in another thread recently with Geico roadside and they apparently recently changed their coverage radius down from 50 miles to 30 (I think), stranding him because he lives way out in the Middle of Nowhere, WY. Even the basic AAA will tow you to a nearby garage which is WAY better than the side of the highway, and most problems can be fixed by a random shop in less time than you might think. Especially with a very common car like your Corolla.

Go on your roadtrip, visit your friend. It's what cars are for.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
AAA is something everyone should have. I can't stress enough how rear end-saving it can be.

My head gasket blew about 90 miles from home at the beginning of a long trip. AAA sent a flatbed to take it + me home, and I got curious enough to ask the dude what I would've paid if not for AAA. $100 + $4 a mile. So that breakdown would've been almost $500 before I even got it to the shop. They've also delivered gas a couple times when I had a bad fuel gauge and ran out somewhere.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Godholio posted:

Ok, that last post got me thinking.

I've got a 2012 Wrangler 3.6L. These engines are kind of notorious (and there seems to have been a class action suit filed last year over this) for having leftover casting sand from the cylinder heads loving up the water jackets/radiators/heater cores. My heater core was definitely hosed, noticeably at 40k miles. Conveniently, the cooling system is not considered part of the power train, so that was a $3,000 quote to repair. I did it myself, along with a new radiator, thermostat, and hoses. As much as I could replace, and I flushed it until it appeared to be good then I flushed it again. Didn't want to deal with it again. Fail.

The heater core keeps clogging. I made a little ~1gallon pressure chamber out of ABS that I fill with water and pressurize with an air compressor to try to force the poo poo out. I collected an absurd amount of crap the first few times. It's kind of a hassle, so I found an inline filter to install in the heater inlet hose. It collects all kinds of poo poo. A shocking amount. But I've noticed that it's not all the fine sand and crud I was initially getting out of the heater core...it's also tiny pebbles. Sometimes around 1mm diameter. That seems way too big to be casting sand, and they're not uniform in color.

How the hell is this stuff getting into my engine? It uses a standard overflow bottle, which does have a tiny vent hole, but it's in a really weird place to be taking stuff in...it mounts on the back of the radiator, high up. The hole faces downward but to get inside a rock would have to fly up a good 3 feet (it's forward of the tires) go up a narrow tube, fall into the overflow bottle, and get sucked up by a hose that's not even at the bottom of it.

Edit: Three pictures I took a while ago.

Confirm that your "sand" is actually sand - drop a bit in vinegar and see if it fizzes. It may be carbonate lime scale. The slow corrosion of the metal in the engine will produce metal ions that will combine with carbon dioxide from the air and create scale.

If it's not coming from outside the engine, it must be coming from inside. The coolant itself contains silicates to bond to the metal surfaces and protect them from corrosion. I guess it's possible some weird chemistry is making them precipitate out. Did you mix incompatible coolant formulas?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
2002 Saturn SC2
52k miles
Transmission dying, shop says $1500-2k to rebuild

What do you do in this scenario with oldass car but relatively low mileage? Pay around the same amount as the car is worth to have it repaired? Or just drive the thing till it dies while doing the minimum basics to keep it running (tires, oil changes) while saving $ like mad to be ready to buy replacement used car w/ cash? Another option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Confirm that your "sand" is actually sand - drop a bit in vinegar and see if it fizzes. It may be carbonate lime scale. The slow corrosion of the metal in the engine will produce metal ions that will combine with carbon dioxide from the air and create scale.

If it's not coming from outside the engine, it must be coming from inside. The coolant itself contains silicates to bond to the metal surfaces and protect them from corrosion. I guess it's possible some weird chemistry is making them precipitate out. Did you mix incompatible coolant formulas?

I'm positive I'm using the right stuff - HOAT (Zerex G05). I'm not so sure the dealer didn't gently caress up and add OAT but I've flushed the system a dozen times and changed radiators I think three times since then. I can't imagine there's enough of whatever they used to keep causing problems. The filter is definitely not catching as much stuff as it did, but there's still some accumulation after a couple of weeks. I'll try the vinegar test...hadn't thought of that.