Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Not to give you grief..but you got a book "set shortly after the Dresden fire bombing" in I'm guessing..GERMANY and didn't expect it to be full of Nazis? :psyduck:

It was late. I wasn't thinking. I should've put that together in my head. Honestly though who is like, "you know I really want to find out who is serial killing these Nazis, and I hope the Nazi detective finds out." I guess it would be worth it if the serial killer was a mustache-twirling Winston Churchill.

I've gathered all the suggestions and am going to pick a few and just Kindle it out for a few days. Thanks everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Depressio111117 posted:

My Lobotomy is a big ol’ unnerving bummer.

I found it kind of uplifting, because the author managed to get it together even after all that. But the lobotomizer was a complete pile of poo poo and I hope he burns in hell.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Not a death sentence, but this douche was a cop was a serial killer who got life. (To the surprise of nobody a former cop and killer of kids was killed in prison)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_John_Schaefer

Boy, Sondra London sure sounds like a totally normal and well adjusted woman. :stare:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Solice Kirsk posted:

Boy, Sondra London sure sounds like a totally normal and well adjusted woman. :stare:

you may be on to something

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Randaconda posted:

Not a death sentence, but this douche was a cop was a serial killer who got life. (To the surprise of nobody a former cop and killer of kids was killed in prison)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_John_Schaefer

It's sad that I thought you were talking about this guy, but I guess there's been multiple serial killer cops...
http://www.bakersfield.com/archives...2b13874de3.html

Also apparently he's still alive but on death row.

Edit: I guess since he purportedly only killed 2 he wouldn't count for the technical definition of serial killer

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I recommend Command and Control all the time for non fiction unnerving. History of the nuclear program from inception to the 90s, including close calls and terrible processes. Lots of fun to keep you awake all night.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Seconded. Command & Control is great.

This one's along similar lines:

https://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Accidents-Meltdowns-Disasters-Mountains/dp/1605986801

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Untrustable posted:

It was late. I wasn't thinking. I should've put that together in my head. Honestly though who is like, "you know I really want to find out who is serial killing these Nazis, and I hope the Nazi detective finds out." I guess it would be worth it if the serial killer was a mustache-twirling Winston Churchill.

I've gathered all the suggestions and am going to pick a few and just Kindle it out for a few days. Thanks everyone.

There’s no way that book could actually be anti-Nazi, I’m sure.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Loomer posted:

There’s no way that book could actually be anti-Nazi, I’m sure.

I'm gonna read it and see. Now I feel I have to. I don't want to give the Nazi Murder Mysteries a short sell. I also picked up Command and Control and My Lobotomy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ewe2 posted:

Of course they're investigating themselves, what could go wrong?

I got a piece of short fiction out of it :v:

Command and Control is legitimately terrifying, and really well written. That's good for a few days of troubled sleep.

I picked up the Dresden mystery too, we'll see how it goes.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Cop talk.
https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/07/lapd-lazurus-murder-mystery-killer
A police officer killed her romantic rival and the LAPD basically covered it up for 23 years.
Dude didn't even date her afterwards and 3 years later she married someone else.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The cumulative weight of Casefile episodes may be having a deleterious effect upon me, yet I still listen.

Case 50: Amy Lynn Bradley . The buck-passing and casual tolerance of a ship line that clearly participates in sex trafficking was infuriating. Maritime law is a pretty complex thing, yet there was something obviously going on that no one was going to do a drat thing about until shamed into it by the victims families. Imagine going on a cruise where the staff are on the lookout for a good prospect to supplement their wages. If you're luck it might not be your daughter's jawbone washed up on a beach. :negative:

Sarcopenia posted:

Cop talk.
https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/07/lapd-lazurus-murder-mystery-killer
A police officer killed her romantic rival and the LAPD basically covered it up for 23 years.
Dude didn't even date her afterwards and 3 years later she married someone else.

Thats Case 42. You can listen to much of the interview with Lazarus, its freaky. Someone was definitely covering up for her, evidence went missing.

ewe2 has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Apr 23, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

ewe2 posted:

The cumulative weight of Casefile episodes may be having a deleterious effect upon me, yet I still listen.

Case 50: Amy Lynn Bradley . The buck-passing and casual tolerance of a ship line that clearly participates in sex trafficking was infuriating. Maritime law is a pretty complex thing, yet there was something obviously going on that no one was going to do a drat thing about until shamed into it by the victims families. Imagine going on a cruise where the staff are on the lookout for a good prospect to supplement their wages. If you're luck it might not be your daughter's jawbone washed up on a beach. :negative:

Thats Case 42. You can listen to much of the interview with Lazarus, its freaky. Someone was definitely covering up for her, evidence went missing.
Casefile is good and cool.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Antioch posted:

I recommend Command and Control all the time for non fiction unnerving. History of the nuclear program from inception to the 90s, including close calls and terrible processes. Lots of fun to keep you awake all night.

There are so many horrifying and unnerving nuke anecdotes in that book it's insane. The one that gets me the most is the time where an airbase just straight up LOST a nuke. They literally misplaced a nuclear warhead. Turns out that it was accidentally transported somewhere else and no one had a clue. That one gets me because there's no malice or accident behind it. It's like they lost their car keys.

"poo poo.. I swear I had a nuke with me earlier, where did I put the damned thing?"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Sarcopenia posted:

Casefile is good and cool.

Jesus christ, I listened to the Snowtown episode last week and I had to turn it off. Not because it was bad, but because it was deeply unsettling.

mllaneza posted:

Command and Control is legitimately terrifying, and really well written. That's good for a few days of troubled sleep.

Good grief yes. "Have you ever worked with/around nukes... ON ACID?" It's amazing we're not all dead.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

ewe2 posted:

bradley was absolutely not abducted for sex trafficking and believing that she was is basically insane

you do not abduct a white woman from the first world on a boat in the middle of the ocean. why would you do that? there are much, much better ways of human trafficking than that. where do you keep her? how do you get her off the boat without anyone noticing?

human trafficking is a real thing but that's not how it happens. bradley fell off of the boat and drowned. shady behavior on the cruise line's part can much more sensibly be attributed to trying to cover up their negligence in allowing her to fall off the boat and drown than in some vast human trafficking scheme.

chernobyl kinsman has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Apr 24, 2018

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And now for something different.

What does this sound like to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQ1x5r-LCQ

The power of suggestion says it sounds like human screams.

Hard to know exactly where the suggestion ends and where actuality begins.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

a mysterious cloak posted:

Good grief yes. "Have you ever worked with/around nukes... ON ACID?" It's amazing we're not all dead.

Command and Control posted:

At Homestead Air Force Base in Florida, thirty-five members of an Army unit were arrested for using and selling marijuana and LSD. The unit controlled the Nike Hercules antiaircraft missiles on the base, along with their nuclear warheads. The drug use at Homestead was suspected after a fully armed Russian MiG-17 fighter plane, flown by a Cuban defector, landed there unchallenged, while Air Force One was parked on a nearby runway.

climbing from the cockpit the Cuban defector is seized by an airman who shakes him wildly and shouts "have you tried LSD?!"

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Here's one I dimly recall from the time; I wasn't big into following the news as a teenager, but even I heard about this one. For a period of time in the mid-'90s, Madalyn Murray O'Hair (that is indeed how it's spelled) was right up there with Jimmy Hoffa so far as missing bodies went.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madalyn_Murray_O'Hair

For years O'Hair was known as the "most hated woman in America" (there's a Netflix film about her by that name) for her outspoken atheism and lawsuits against religious endorsement by the government. There's a longer list at the Wikipedia article, but suffice to say she's one of the key figures involved in the "no prayer in public schools" that the right wing is still screaming about to this day.

O'Hair and several members of her family ran an NGO called American Atheists, and one day the front door of their office was closed with a typewritten note saying they'd be gone for a while. When police checked their home, breakfast dishes were still on the table, and O'Hair's diabetes medication was on the kitchen counter, and their dog was still home with no provisions made for it. So looked pretty bad. About a month later, their offices received several calls from the O'Hairs saying everything was fine, but they sounded "strained and disturbed" and wouldn't say when they'd be back. And after those calls, nothing.

Suspicion eventually fell on a former employee, who'd gotten pinched for embezzlement and then turned out to be a convicted felon with at least one murder rap. It helped too that when questioned by the feds, his girlfriend mentioned that he had a grudge against O'Hair for firing him and diming him out in an AA article, and that he fantasized about torturing her and cutting off her toes.

Eventually the employee, Waters, and three of his friends went down for various crimes involving kidnapping, extortion (they forced one of the O'Hairs to buy a half-million in gold coins while he was being held hostage), etc but couldn't nail them on any murder rap since they couldn't find concrete evidence of the murders themselves. Eventually, while in prison and only a few years before his death from lung cancer, Waters confessed where they'd hidden the bodies on a Texas ranch. When authorities found them, they were so severely mangled that the victims could only be identified by dental records and an item number on an artificial hip.

The weird little coda to the gruesome tale: Waters and his friends had locked the $500k of gold coins in a storage unit in Texas, which had been hit up by a local burglary gang specializing in storage units who must've had their minds blown by finding such a jackpot. The group managed to blow all the coins on living large, but gave the last one to an aunt to make into a pendant (assuming a 1oz coin it wouldn't been worth about $1k then). And the cops managed to get the last coin back, on general principle I suppose, by putting out a news broadcast about it on Memorial Day.

At some point I should go dig up what the Right Wing Media said when she disappeared, since I imagine a lot of it was "good, I'm loving glad." She had a massive effect on the modern dialogue about religion in schools and government, but what really did her in was one vindictive torturing rear end in a top hat upset about getting fired for embezzling $50k.

TapTheForwardAssist has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Apr 24, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thwomp posted:

Sounds like the Doom 2 Revenant screaming when it sees you.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

bradley was absolutely not abducted for sex trafficking and believing that she was is basically insane

you do not abduct a white woman from the first world on a boat in the middle of the ocean. why would you do that? there are much, much better ways of human trafficking than that. where do you keep her? how do you get her off the boat without anyone noticing?

human trafficking is a real thing but that's not how it happens. bradley fell off of the boat and drowned. shady behavior on the cruise line's part can much more sensibly be attributed to trying to cover up their negligence in allowing her to fall off the boat and drown than in some vast human trafficking scheme.

A superlative conclusion, Sir, with just two minor flaws: one, you didn't listen to the episode and two, you didn't listen to the episode. Now I realize that, technically speaking that is only one flaw, but it is such a big one that I thought it worth mentioning twice.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Thwomp posted:

I didn’t realize my phone was still connected via Bluetooth to our living room speakers and played this video and turned the sound way way up because I thought my phone was broken and didn’t realize what was happening until my boyfriend asked what the gently caress was going on in the living room.

:downs:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ewe2 posted:

A superlative conclusion, Sir, with just two minor flaws: one, you didn't listen to the episode and two, you didn't listen to the episode. Now I realize that, technically speaking that is only one flaw, but it is such a big one that I thought it worth mentioning twice.

It’s good that you’re hyping this episode up—I can’t listen now because I’m at work at the moment but given how much “a white woman was abducted from a cruise ship by a sex ring and it was covered up by the cruise line” sounds like an email forward the podcast must do some pretty heavy lifting.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s good that you’re hyping this episode up—I can’t listen now because I’m at work at the moment but given how much “a white woman was abducted from a cruise ship by a sex ring and it was covered up by the cruise line” sounds like an email forward the podcast must do some pretty heavy lifting.

I'm not saying it absolutely did happen in her case, but it's at least as possible as her falling overboard given the history of incidents involving Caribbean cruise ships and particularly that line, the behaviour of the staff, the legal issues with jurisdiction in the Antillas and maritime law of the time (which her parents had a hand in changing afterwards) oh and the dramatic fall in incidents of disappearance, rape, assault, and other offences once the owners and operators became liable for them and could no longer fall between the cracks of US or Dutch jurisdiction. But go listen to the podcast and read the shownotes and come to your own conclusions.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I just finished the Nazi Murder Mysteries book. It was actually pretty good. It's called The Air Raid Killer and it actually handles the whole Nazi thing pretty well. As well as a book about a German policeman in Dresden in 1944-45 can handle th whole Nazi issue. Onto Command and Control.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Untrustable posted:

I just finished the Nazi Murder Mysteries book. It was actually pretty good. It's called The Air Raid Killer and it actually handles the whole Nazi thing pretty well. As well as a book about a German policeman in Dresden in 1944-45 can handle th whole Nazi issue. Onto Command and Control.

I feel like this is the equivalent of getting an adult to eat brussel sprouts. Yes, you hated them as a kid but you are an adult now and it has butter and garlic on them. try it!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brussel sprouts, garbanzo bean soup, and polenta are the only things I hated eating in my childhood that I still can't eat today.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I didn't eat brussels sprouts until I was an adult and I liked them then.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
bake brussel sprouts in the oven, make brussel sprout chips! :cmon:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

C.M. Kruger posted:

climbing from the cockpit the Cuban defector is seized by an airman who shakes him wildly and shouts "have you tried LSD?!"

:laffo: that's the part I was remembering

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

ewe2 posted:

Not where I would expect a Red Dwarf reference, but good play regardless.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation

Thwomp posted:

Sounds like a poo poo whistle without a pea in it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'd say it sounds more like a big cat than a human.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Somewhat on the current topic, and because people who dig this thread might remember: we had a PYF Unnerving Sounds (something to that effect) thread for a while years back. Things ranged from that death whistle to EBS tones to the Unsolved Mysteries theme song, interspersed with some wtf things. Long gone, but anyone with archives have a bookmarked link handy?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Depressio111117 posted:

I didn’t realize my phone was still connected via Bluetooth to our living room speakers and played this video and turned the sound way way up because I thought my phone was broken and didn’t realize what was happening until my boyfriend asked what the gently caress was going on in the living room.

:downs:

Thanks for the idea, I'm gonna do this on purpose later tonight.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Soundchat: My phone's text-message ringtone is the Metal Gear Solid "guard sees you" bleep. I leave it turned up to max volume. I've never played the series, but when I get a text, I can easily tell who around me has.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

More soundchat: One of my friends has been blind since birth and dreams only in sounds. We've drunkenly talked about sitting down together and "making" one of his nightmares. I haven't seen him in months and months, but it's something that I really really wanna do.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Solice Kirsk posted:

More soundchat: One of my friends has been blind since birth and dreams only in sounds. We've drunkenly talked about sitting down together and "making" one of his nightmares. I haven't seen him in months and months, but it's something that I really really wanna do.

That sounds cool as gently caress. The best review I ever got of my music was Warren Ellis saying something to effect of "it's midnight, and your MP3 player is leaking things from a parallel earth where things didn't go right". Sounds right up my alley.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Spooky soundchat, let's do it. For some reason audio stuff unnerves me like nothing else. Two things leap immediately to mind--

Phantom words! What do you hear? I hear "no way."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUaYjanqT3Q

And I'm certain that everyone in this thread has heard of the phenomenon of infrasound, but just in case--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFMuLqZ1zaU

If you don't want to or can't watch the video, basically the theory goes that there's a certain frequency of sound that is inaudible to the human ear but causes both our eyeballs and the delicate hairs in our inner ear to vibrate, giving us a sense of anxiety and making us see things out of the corner of our eye.

Since this phenomenon has gained a lot of popularity on the internet in recent years, it's also gained some scrutiny, and from what I've read this is a lot less true than that Vox video would have you believe. Still, it's an interesting theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I can’t remember where I came across it but about a minute in to this track https://youtu.be/oOT2-OTebx0 there’s a tremolo sound so low that you can’t really tell what note it is any more. It doesn’t sound like much but to me, the relief when it stops is palpable.