Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah and if the company follows through with account and/or console bans that turns more people off of it.

Kind of amazed they didn't just ban more 3dses. Nintendo's kinda lenient compared to Sony and Microsoft unless you're doing blatant cheating that they can easily see and/or playing a game online pre-release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

You’re bumming me out. I hope there will be some way to prevent this.:smith:

Why is Nintendo so bad at securing their hardware when it’s seemingly impossible to hack PS and Xboxes that are connected online?

This one seems to be Nvidia's fault.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah lol at all the people declaring the Switch to be dead, the Wii, DS, and 3DS were all pretty widely hacked early on and I'm pretty sure some of those did pretty well

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

havenwaters posted:

Kind of amazed they didn't just ban more 3dses. Nintendo's kinda lenient compared to Sony and Microsoft unless you're doing blatant cheating that they can easily see and/or playing a game online pre-release.

Nintendo was pretty smart in banning consoles in "waves" so that nobody could figure out what triggered the detection.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

My friend, piracy has been a thing on every console ever released with the exception of the XBox One. It won't being financial ruins for anyone. Only nerds do this stuff. The $12 DS flashcart couldn't kill the drat system. As soon as people start reading that they have to check their serial number to make sure the hack is compatible you lose 99.9% of the population's interest.

This is the case in the west but not necessarily everywhere, when I was a kid I lived in China from like 1999-2004 and the only Playstations you could buy were pre-modded and the only games you could buy for it were burned copies that cost a little over a dollar each. It was pretty cool honestly, you'd go to a stall in the "Bird And Flower Market" and ask "CD?" and they'd lead you into a dark back room with bins and bins full of games with dozens of chinese men squatting and chainsmoking and rifling through them. Same deal when the PS2 came out. Conversely you would NEVER see anything to do with the N64 or Gamecube there because there was no reasonable way to hack those. Not sure how it works now though

edit: oh bootleg Gameboy and GBA games were really common though because the systems could play them with no modding. They were a little more expensive than the CDs but the Gameboy cartridges were usually those "100-in-one" things with like 10 different reskins of Mario Bros to make him look like Shin-chan or a penis .

goferchan fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 23, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

New Nintendo Homebrew Thread DX: Dozens of Chinese men squatting

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

You’re bumming me out. I hope there will be some way to prevent this.:smith:

Why is Nintendo so bad at securing their hardware when it’s seemingly impossible to hack PS and Xboxes that are connected online?

Yeah this is on NVidia, cause the exploit lies within the recovery mode of NVidia's whole Tegra line of embedded processors. The only mistake Nintendo did here was using NVidia hardware.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

My friend, piracy has been a thing on every console ever released with the exception of the XBox One. It won't being financial ruins for anyone. Only nerds do this stuff. The $12 DS flashcart couldn't kill the drat system. As soon as people start reading that they have to check their serial number to make sure the hack is compatible you lose 99.9% of the population's interest.

People have to buy the system to hack the system. No one is concerned that it's going to hurt Nintendo or its system sales.

The major concern is when companies like the Blossom Tales devs, who were able to continue being devs because Blossom Tales did extremely well on the Switch, start getting their games pirated on the system because people place no value on the entertainment they consume. Nintendo isn't going to start hurting if people put Super Mario World on the Switch. But when enough people say "gently caress it" and start sideloading Kamiko instead of dropping $5 on it (and you know this will happen, because nerds will do whatever they can to not spend money), that's gonna add up, and suddenly, you're going to see less Kamiko.

And that's not even taking into account poo poo like "Making sure your Switch isn't hacked to affect local Smash battles."

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988525063975518209

:allears:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s rad but I can’t go back to the original Wind Waker after the much better HD one.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s rad but I can’t go back to the original Wind Waker after the much better HD one.

I sort of preferred the textures from the original, but man, without swift sail I dunno...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WilliamAnderson posted:

I sort of preferred the textures from the original, but man, without swift sail I dunno...

And the much better triforce hunt and the tons of little qol improvements. All the Zelda remakes own.

I really think we’re gonna get an official GC/Wii VC on Switch this year.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SeANMcBAY posted:

And the much better triforce hunt and the tons of little qol improvements. All the Zelda remakes own.

I really think we’re gonna get an official GC/Wii VC on Switch this year.

Other than wishful thinking, what makes you think it will happen? Did Nintendo say something that I missed?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I really hope this kicks Nintendo into overdrive, and they start getting stuff out like SNES emulators, Netflix, and a steam-alike network component. Cause honestly, a lot of the homebrews are going to be this basic stuff.

On the other hand, I hope the people who develop those high quality homebrews get picked up for their programming skills and ideas.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

the switch doesn't even have a netflix app yet? god drat

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Welp, time to buy a Switch so it can sit in the closet for another year until cfw is stable.

Yeah I think people like to claim the Dreamcast died due to piracy just to give such an awesome console a bit of a better legacy instead of saying "Sega was poo poo for so many years that it didn't matter how good the Dreamcast was".

It didn't matter how good the Dreamcast was because PS2 was backwards compatible and, more importantly, could play The Matrix on dvd.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Breadallelogram posted:

the switch doesn't even have a netflix app yet? god drat

It's got Hulu, so blame Netflix.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

Other than wishful thinking, what makes you think it will happen? Did Nintendo say something that I missed?

Nintendo releasing those games for the Nvidia Shield in China makes me think that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
lmao at "switch dead" chat

The ridiculous hardware sales because everyone has a super hardon for the form factor means that if nintendo stopped making 1st party games for it tomorrow in retaliation, homebrew and indies are still going to be all over it for years.

Nintendo may have hacking issues from here to kingdom come but they continually overrely on "nobody will hack this ever" instead of not trusting the client and hardening the server side systems. Re: pokemon, I'm just glad the hardware hack went public this early so that maybe (just maybe) gamefreaks can come up with something more robust for the next generation and treat it like a CCG's "wild" vs. "current season" stuff so that you can't just pull in the max IV stuff you hacked in 3 generations ago.

But that's a whole other :can:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Re: pokemon, I'm just glad the hardware hack went public this early so that maybe (just maybe) gamefreaks can come up with something more robust for the next generation and treat it like a CCG's "wild" vs. "current season" stuff so that you can't just pull in the max IV stuff you hacked in 3 generations ago.

But that's a whole other :can:

When Sun and Moon hit, official tournaments only allowed for the Alolan Pokedex to be used. For a short while after release, you couldn't even use the Pokemon Bank to transfer monsters.

Where this hits, though, is the casual online play, which can't really be policied in the same manner.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I used a game boy flash cart writer in 1999 or so to load a hacked game save on my little brothers pokemon red and he won the official nintendo tournament at the mall

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Re: hacking, maybe it's time we start blaming capitalism or other global powers for the fact people aren't willing to spend $5 for entertainment rather than "nerds."

As a broke rear end person, I gladly used VC when I could, but games that weren't available or beyond reach price wise I pirated. If I made more than $30k a year to teach special needs kids, I wouldn't have to pirate. Same goes for indie games.

What I'm saying is, joint your local communist party. Power to the workers. Death to capitalists.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Games are actually pretty cheap now. The $60 I paid for N64 games is more like $90. PS1 games would have cost a bit more than 80 dollars today. People won't accept games costing more than 60 dollars, which means games are 10 dollars cheaper than they were in 2008.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rirse posted:

Look what PSP where piracy just made developers back away over time, with almost no support for it successor due to it. Probably see the third party people leave the Switch now. :smith:

Piracy was an issue on PSP, but it was exacerbated by poor decisions on Sony's part, particularly their investment in UMDs and lack of online storefront. Piracy made the games more convenient and fun to play, games loaded significantly faster off Memory Sticks and custom firmwares usually offered things like overclocking options.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988627868598001665

Undetectable
Unpatchable
No modchip required
Bypasses all signature checks
Allows extraction of all device data including Boot ROM and all Cryptographic Keys
"So obvious" it has been discovered independently by several sources thus far

I feel like someone really really hosed up huge here.

Instructions to 3D print the jig are here - https://github.com/fail0verflow/shofel2/tree/master/rcm-jig

Blog post on everything here - https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2018/shofel2/

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Im hugely impatient but I'm gonna wait til there's a softmod, which is killing me because i don't wanna wait.

I'm on 1.0.0 and there's no homebrew yet is my excuse I'm telling myself.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
So, Switch RCM mode has no visual indication you entered it other than "the screen is blank" but I guess you know you entered it properly because hitting the power button again doesn't display the Nintendo or Nintendo Switch boot logos. You can still reboot by holding the power button for so long though.

I haven't actually booted into a Linux distro yet, but there are penguins on my screen which is still exciting on its own.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Games are actually pretty cheap now. The $60 I paid for N64 games is more like $90. PS1 games would have cost a bit more than 80 dollars today. People won't accept games costing more than 60 dollars, which means games are 10 dollars cheaper than they were in 2008.

This is only the case if you assume that people’s wages haven’t stagnated

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Lord Frisk posted:

Re: hacking, maybe it's time we start blaming capitalism or other global powers for the fact people aren't willing to spend $5 for entertainment rather than "nerds."

As a broke rear end person, I gladly used VC when I could, but games that weren't available or beyond reach price wise I pirated. If I made more than $30k a year to teach special needs kids, I wouldn't have to pirate. Same goes for indie games.

What I'm saying is, joint your local communist party. Power to the workers. Death to capitalists.

I think we would be friends irl. Hack the planet, amirite?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Manky posted:

Do y'all actually think piracy hurts platforms? Because it's pretty weird to be cheering about if you do. I mean, I really don't, I don't think the 3ds was hurt one bit by being cracked wide open. Just seems like a weird attitude to be putting out there.

You've misunderstood, I'm not saying the Switch is dead, only laughing at it getting cracked this soon. It has to be a record, right? On the other hand, this light's a fire under Nintendo's rear end to do the simple poo poo people have wanted for a while (VC, save game transfers, a loving online browser) so maybe they'll start delivering. Super strange of them to go with the Tegra since this apparently is has been a known exploit for a while. I don't care either way if this makes or breaks Nintendo, I'm glad I'll have full access to my console and run whatever the gently caress and have the ultimate piece of emulation hardware. I don't see this as the end of the Switch or Nintendo, though I do see this as an opportunity to stock up on Switches now and sell a bunch online modded once that's a thing.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah but on the N64 $60 got you the whole game, now $60 gets you the base game without any DLC/season pass poo poo. So you basically are paying more if you'd like the whole experience.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know this doesn't matter to anyone but me, but that Mario Kart Wii problem I was having before has been pretty much solved after deleting the save data and starting fresh. Don't know why it was corrupt, but it was.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Note that when they say "undetectable" they're specifically talking about booting Linux from an SD card, and not modifying the onboard flash in any way.

Patching the SwitchOS could still get you detected, which works out nicely because actual homebrewers can safely do their thing on Linux while pirates and cheaters have to install SwitchOS CFW and run the risk of getting banned :)

repiv fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 24, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Note that when they say "undetectable" they're specifically talking about booting Linux from an SD card, and not modifying the onboard flash in any way.

Patching the SwitchOS could still get you detected, which works out nicely because actual homebrewers can safely do their thing on Linux while pirates and cheaters have to install SwitchOS CFW and run the risk of getting banned :)

Maybe you'll be able to boot a modified switchOS off of the memory card?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

What would that achieve? You're still running Nintendo's code in that case, so any bit of telemetry it sends home could give away that you've compromised the system.

I suppose pirates could clone their SwitchOS, go offline, play through an SP game then restore their clean SwitchOS before going back online, but MP cheaters and MP pirates are poo poo out of luck.

repiv fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 24, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

repiv posted:

Rebooting into linux to get emulators sounds pretty annoying

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

What would that achieve? You're still running Nintendo's code in that case, so any bit of telemetry it sends home could give away that you've compromised the system.

No clue; I am just speculating here. Maybe the modified OS on the SD card would hack out the parts that report stuff home? Produce 99999999999 for the serial number? Spoof the mac address? :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

No clue; I am just speculating here. Maybe the modified OS on the SD card would hack out the parts that report stuff home? Produce 99999999999 for the serial number? Spoof the mac address? :shrug:

Patching out the telemetry is possible but easier said than done, there's a vast amount of code to dig through and Nintendo could hide checks in any weird place if they're feeling sneaky. Remember nobody ever figured out how the 3DS CFW detection worked.

Spoofing the console keys won't help because Nintendo's servers won't authenticate you if they don't recognise your keys.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

repiv posted:

... the 3DS CFW detection worked.

It didn't always necessarily work. Neither myself nor some friends of mine ended up getting any kind of online ban despite thoroughly utilizing CFW and backups, etc, and we played online too.

I remember some people speculating it might have something to do with playing certain games before their release dates, but I don't think that covered everyone.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Exactly, for every theory there's a ton of people saying they didn't do that but got banned anyway.

i.e. I never played games before release and got banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chinook posted:

It didn't always necessarily work. Neither myself nor some friends of mine ended up getting any kind of online ban despite thoroughly utilizing CFW and backups, etc, and we played online too.

I remember some people speculating it might have something to do with playing certain games before their release dates, but I don't think that covered everyone.

They were definitely able to detect some other way, but I think they didn't ban everyone specifically to poison the pool of non-banned to make their information largely useless. Apparently some people were banned who had only just started the CFW process and not actually done anything meaningful with it yet.