Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Matsuri posted:

I've just kind of become accustomed to lovely attitudes from magic players in general

Really? I've found the opposite so far. In MTGO the worst thing I've encountered is a dude saying "I know" in response the "gg". Coming from World of Tanks it's shocking how polite and nice people are.

In the 3 store events I've gone to everyone has been pretty chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Rinkles posted:

Given how long it's been, I would've liked more cards. Too much history to do justice in a single set. Consider how few new goblins we got. And cephalids.

Screw cephalids, homarids are where it's at. Consider the lobster.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

IDK about his personality, but I always thought hunky hulking golems looked sexy.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Coming from World of Tanks

haha yikes

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

There is a lot of debate right now about how much support Karn has to have to be good. No one has the testing to be sure if he needs other artifacts or if the +1 and -1 are good enough on their own as a draw engine. And if he does, how much he needs - is a playset of Walking Ballista enough? Treasure Map? Or does there need to be a dedicated artifact theme.

That said, he's going to be at least fine in any sort of not-super-tuned midrange pile. He's probably not the greatest as a curve topper in aggro decks, unless there is a major artifact theme.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Much as people love to talk about lovely magic players I find that the community is significantly less toxic than pretty much every single online gaming community. The problem is that the people who are bad are particularly bad considering it takes another level of rear end in a top hat to be a dick to someone's face at fnm than it does to be a dick to a faceless stranger on the internet.

In other news Hareruya posted some decklists for the news standard and I hate the UW control list

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/article/en/category/detail/310

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

There is a lot of debate right now about how much support Karn has to have to be good. No one has the testing to be sure if he needs other artifacts or if the +1 and -1 are good enough on their own as a draw engine. And if he does, how much he needs - is a playset of Walking Ballista enough? Treasure Map? Or does there need to be a dedicated artifact theme.

That said, he's going to be at least fine in any sort of not-super-tuned midrange pile. He's probably not the greatest as a curve topper in aggro decks, unless there is a major artifact theme.

May be primo sideboard for mardu vehicles

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

95% of the time it's a positive that Magic players are almost never openly dicks to anyone.

However, 5% of the time it lets super toxic people hang around the Magic community for way too long without anyone telling them to gently caress off, because that would be mean.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

In other news Hareruya posted some decklists for the news standard and I hate the UW control list

Yeah it's bad but who cares about UW when they post a list with 4x Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh?

myDad posted:

May be primo sideboard for mardu vehicles

It may well be MD worthy in Mardu, depending on how fast it wants to be when things shake out a bit.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

AnEdgelord posted:

That U Fliers deck that costs like $10 is probably something I’ll build even though I almost never play Magic

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Much as people love to talk about lovely magic players I find that the community is significantly less toxic than pretty much every single online gaming community. The problem is that the people who are bad are particularly bad considering it takes another level of rear end in a top hat to be a dick to someone's face at fnm than it does to be a dick to a faceless stranger on the internet.

I’m at half mast looking at that Bolas reanimator

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’m at half mast looking at that Bolas reanimator

hmm that sounds familiar...

Owlbear Camus posted:

So uh....
Some Cheap Legendary Creature + Champion of Wits + Dump Nicol Bolas God Pharoah then cheat him in with Yawgmoths? :black101:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
the powerstone shard deck :eyepop:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

myDad posted:

I don't think it's correct to play the Mox with so few ways to turn it on.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bulky my main suggestion to you is to just read more articles, study more decklists, and learn through trying things.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

myDad posted:

Never mind that, check out that high tide deck!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm a big fan of the 4c vehicles deck that only plays 3 actual vehicles.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Food for thought for all y'all who wanted to play Wizard Tribal in Modern-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeW-pLbXs_o

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm a big fan of the 4c vehicles deck that only plays 3 actual vehicles.

I don't even know when I last saw a Vehicles list with more than 4. It's like Affinity.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

neaden posted:

I read the books up until Invasion and liked Karn. He was oddly more human than a lot of the characters who were capable of all sorts of grand magic and stuff. He was kind of an everyman, even though he was a time travelling metal golem. His friendship with Jhoria and Terefi was kind of cute, and his slowly losing his memory over time added some pathos to his character. Him becoming a plansewalker after all that time with the Thran Stones seemed like a justified end to his character arc since you knew he wasn't going to make all the horrible mistakes people like Urza and Terefi did. Of course, I guess he ended up creating his own metal planet and accidentally turning them into phyrexians, so that kind of sucked for him.

He hosed up Mirrodin twice. First by sending the Mirari there and then by bringing the Phyrexians there.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Just wanted to say I am extremely salty because I just lost to an opponent who had out Teferi. When I cast Divest on him he flashed out Raff, Ship's Mage and Weatherlight.

This was in a draft by the way.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Most of those decklists look cool and fun.

Meanwhile r/spikes is jerking it to some Esper list that is just the exact same deck as before Dominaria came out except they put 2 copies of Teferi in it and some Seal Aways. Like someone just called a Torrential Gearhulk/Scarab God deck “spicy.”

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 24, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Really? I've found the opposite so far. In MTGO the worst thing I've encountered is a dude saying "I know" in response the "gg". Coming from World of Tanks it's shocking how polite and nice people are.

In the 3 store events I've gone to everyone has been pretty chill.

yeah so far so good for me, people are pretty nice.

the only problem I had was a guy at prerelease who was kinda stony faced :geno:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how many lands do you put in your limited decks? I thought it was sixteen but I'm seeing seventeen according to wizards

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It depends on your curve but 17 is generally the go-to for balanced decks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kurtofan posted:

how many lands do you put in your limited decks? I thought it was sixteen but I'm seeing seventeen according to wizards

16-18 depending on certain factors.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Really want to make a dumb janky Gr fling deck with something like

22x Lands

4x Llanowar Elves
2x Rhonas's Last Stand
4x Merfolk Branchwalker
2x Rhonas the Indomitable
2x Hazoret the Fervent
4x Steel Leaf Champion
4x Jadelight Ranger
4x Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
3x Ghalta, Primal Hunger

3x Heart of Kiran

4x Blossoming Defense
4x Fling

Obviously untested and untuned, but I want to attack with large Traxos and Ghaltas, and then fling them

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

It’s almost always 16-18 depending on how many colors and how slow the format is.

Once you put 18 in your deck you guarantee all of your opponents are playing aggro.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Buffis posted:

22x Lands

4x Llanowar Elves
2x Rhonas's Last Stand
4x Merfolk Branchwalker
2x Hazoret the Fervent
4x Steel Leaf Champion
4x Jadelight Ranger
3x Ghalta, Primal Hunger

3x Heart of Kiran

4x Blossoming Defense
4x Fling

Obviously untested and untuned, but I want to attack with large Traxos and Ghaltas, and then fling them

You could be flinging Yargles though!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

You could be flinging Yargles though!
And Grunns!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Grunn is cool with Ghalta, but 6 mana is a lot.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Ran into this news to me at Arena forums:

quote:

Kaladesh and Aether Revolt are indeed coming! We've been fairly open about this for months, but we can't yet share when they'll arrive. Stay tuned!

Which I find a bit curious, as it is like five months to rotation now and less when Kaladesh actually hits. Cool enough anyway that we'll see actual Standard in Arena instead of just the current rump-Standard - and interesting to see how they handle the effects of Standard bans for those who have used wildcards on Rampaging Ferocidons, Ramunap Ruins - or open them from packs.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I wonder if they'll mess up and only let you have 4 rat colonies.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Kuiperdolin posted:

I wonder if they'll mess up and only let you have 4 rat colonies.

Nope, once you have four you can add any number to your deck.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ah, good on them.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Buffis posted:

22x Lands

4x Llanowar Elves
2x Rhonas's Last Stand
4x Merfolk Branchwalker
2x Hazoret the Fervent
4x Steel Leaf Champion
4x Jadelight Ranger
3x Ghalta, Primal Hunger

3x Heart of Kiran

4x Blossoming Defense
4x Fling

You could maybe try to pack in some number of Combustible Gearhulks (I realise 6 mana may as well be infinite, but it does hold the possibility of burning your opponent for 36, or just drawing three cards and having a 6-power fling target).

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Angry Grimace posted:

He hosed up Mirrodin twice. First by sending the Mirari there and then by bringing the Phyrexians there.

I guess he was Urza's kid after all.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Goddammit Karn wash your hands once in a while.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Goddammit Karn wash your hands once in a while.

he doesn;t wanna rust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Karn, Silver Golem.

I don't think he's in any danger of that happening. He should wash his hands. Also he should stop loving up random planes, but that one goes for most planeswalkers.