Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The I think 2nd Langrisser game had 4 different ways to go through depending on if you aligned with the good guys, the bad guys, the monsters, or remained neutral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember an LP that went through most of that Langrisser, and each route has so much to it, it is amazing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

I remember an LP that went through most of that Langrisser, and each route has so much to it, it is amazing.

Yeah, I know! I wish they could have managed to push through everything, but I can totally get burning out on it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Slime posted:

The demon path is a plotline where the good ending is the one where you lose, and it's still a bleak as gently caress ending.

Yeah, the best ending is losing to the penultimate fight, where the fight is you, a couple story characters, and all your generics against most of the other story characters in the game, all arrayed against you in a last fight for humanity.

They let the demon go and seal you into the sword instead

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Bad BAD Ending of Odin Sphere is so bleak that even one of the in-game characters asks what kind of monster would allow such thing to happen to the world

edit: An actual favorite little thing: I finished Just Cause 3, and, while I still hate having to race in non-racing games, the devs were merciful enough that in case you miss one checkpoint while you're blasting at 300km/h and end up completely off-road you can just hold Down on the D-Pad and get transported back to the course instead of redoing the entire thing.

Samuringa has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Apr 23, 2018

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My favorite thing about Just Cause 3 was jumping out of a helicopter, falling like 8000 feet, then grappling the ground and somehow that means I'm ok.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Samuringa posted:

The Bad BAD Ending of Odin Sphere is so bleak that even one of the in-game characters asks what kind of monster would allow such thing to happen to the world

My understanding of that ending is that what that character sees is what happens to everyone else anyway and getting the good endings is just catharsis for the player and the total of four people that get to enjoy it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

If you guys are going to keep posting about cool endings you could at least post what makes them cool/horrifying/whatever.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

food court bailiff posted:

If you guys are going to keep posting about cool endings you could at least post what makes them cool/horrifying/whatever.

Literally everyone dies, the world is absolute destroyed, the land sinks into the water and lava, no Gods are left and any hope of a salvation is gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZluvas-Ix0&t=1984s

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Push El Burrito posted:

My favorite thing about Just Cause 3 was jumping out of a helicopter, falling like 8000 feet, then grappling the ground and somehow that means I'm ok.

That's because the grappling hook doesn't pull you to the ground, it pulls Earth towards you at a consistent speed

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Literally everyone dies, the world is absolute destroyed, the land sinks into the water and lava, no Gods are left and any hope of a salvation is gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZluvas-Ix0&t=1984s

Even bleaker than Loom's ending (seriously guys go play Loom): when satan attacks you tear the universe in half, turn into a swan, and then fly away with your half of the universe leaving him stuck on the other side.

Loom was messed up.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Okay look I dunno if anyone's mentioned it but I don't care, I was disappointed that in Assassin's Creed: Origins you seemingly couldn't pet the numerous kitties that wander around Egypt, despite the fact I was sure I could pet animals in a previous game. But I was crouching at some point, and a few of those adorable little creatures of Bastet wandered up to me, and suddenly Bayek reaches out on his own to scratch one of their heads. :3:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, you need to let them approach you of their own accord. :buddy:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I want more games to have peaceful fauna. Doubly so for megafauna. There is something supremely satisfying to me about things in video games that aren't trying to kill you. FFXV was almost great for this, in that it had a ton of cool megafauna, but they'd still beat you up if you got too close and that was sad.

The catoblepas was awesome.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Apr 23, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I want more games to have peaceful fauna. Doubly so for megafauna. There is something supremely satisfying to me about things in video games that aren't trying to kill you. FFXV was almost great for this, in that it had a ton of cool megafauna, but they'd still beat you up if you got too close and that was sad.

The catoblepas was awesome.

I guess that's what you get for hotlinking?

Jeeze, it feels really 2006 in here.

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Apr 23, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Works for me? It's a timg, click on it. I'm unaware of an issue that would make it work for me but not for others.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Agent355 posted:

Works for me? It's a timg, click on it. I'm unaware of an issue that would make it work for me but not for others.

It's a tiny image for me as well, though. I don't have an option to expand it like other images, it's just a tiny image.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's not timg'ing properly for me. You most likely have the full resolution image in your browser cache from being on the website, but the rest of us don't. Again, because of hotlinking and how the wikia gallery system works. It takes just a few seconds to paste something into imgur's url and fix yourself.

quote:

Nobody cares about hotlinking anymore
Not on SA, but that's entirely the reason the wikia galleries are set up like that.

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Apr 23, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Hadn't heard of that before. Oh well fixed it. Nobody cares about hotlinking anymore but my bad for having picked a weird one that doesn't work. Fix'd, now please agree with me that it's cool to pet animals in video games.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
God of War is 100% a game of PYF little things. But I very much appreciated accidentally doing this while trying out a new move.

e: a new move with a new weapon from a few hours into the game so spoilery a bit sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqbomBqYHrU

iRend has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Apr 24, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Push El Burrito posted:

It's even better if you mess up the timing

(I was supposed to press Triangle before hitting the ground so he would retract the Wingsuit)

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

iRend posted:

God of War is 100% a game of PYF little things. But I very much appreciated accidentally doing this while trying out a new move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqbomBqYHrU

I didn't know you got his old blades back. Good ol' spoiler.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So in God of War the first enemies you encounter as Draugur, which are basically Norse zombies. They're not overly difficult to kill but they do take some punishment from your axe before dying. A couple of hours in you run into a group of men who try to kill you and it turns out they aren't quite so tough and die from pretty much just one hit.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

John Lee posted:

Re: the evil choices in games: I've never enjoyed an evil path as much as the one in anime SRPG Soul Nomad and the World Eaters.

The conceit of the game is that you're a Normal Person From A Small Town™, and for reasons that eventually make sense the leader, when it came time to take up you official post as a guard, gave you a sword with a superpowered evil demon inside it. Said demon can give you immense power, but at the cost of him taking over your body.

I've played games with one or two terrible choices, and I've played games with more gut-punchy, emotionally affecting choices, but the evil route of Soul Nomad, only unlocked after after a full playthrough of the normal story, is unmatched in the sheer volume of evil. Eventually, not only do all your allies betray you and the world forms a coalition to stop you, but the demon becomes more and more incredulous at your refusal to draw the line, well, anywhere, and joins the effort to stop what you're doing with his superpowers, because come on, that's just not right.

Is there an LP or anything for this?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

synthetik posted:

Is there an LP or anything for this?

Yes, and it's pretty great because even the normal, non-evil playthrough has plenty hosed up poo poo that somehow got a T-rating.

https://lparchive.org/Soul-Nomad/

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't get why NIS hasn't rereleased Soul Nomad on PC when every garbo PSP game and Disgaea spinoff they've ever touched has. It seems way more interesting and isn't already readily available on multiple active consoles either.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
They probably will but NIS has an extremely low budget and can't take risks like that, Phantom Brave and Disgaea are their "big" games and they gotta bank on that.

edit: like, back in the ps2 days their best sellers were in the tens of thousands worldwide and I don't think things got much better.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Also, the voice actor for said demon-guy is Yuri Lowenthal, who delivers a stellar performance as an rear end in a top hat who desires wholesale destruction, but has to content himself with being a petty dick. You can really tell Yuri enjoyed the work; I'd imagine it was a nice change from his standard Guy Who Is An Alright Fellow roles.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

My favorite little thing in God of War so far:

"You were warned not to stray from the path."

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Petit Gregory posted:

My favorite little thing in God of War so far:

"You were warned not to stray from the path."

Yeah, I did that too, and when I got that tip I was like, "yep, I definitely was warned".

Back on good/evil choices, before Mass Effect 3 came out, I was doing a couple playthroughs to set up a fully Paragon, and what I called a pragmatic save. The pragmatic one was "tries to be nice, but will straight up murder someone if it'll help save the universe". I was fine on the fully Paragon run until you get to that one guy in Mass Effect 2. You know the guy. Mister "Has never not been thrown out of that window" guy. Even goody two shoes Shep can't help but defenestrate him. Poor bastard.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Kruller posted:

Yeah, I did that too, and when I got that tip I was like, "yep, I definitely was warned".

Back on good/evil choices, before Mass Effect 3 came out, I was doing a couple playthroughs to set up a fully Paragon, and what I called a pragmatic save. The pragmatic one was "tries to be nice, but will straight up murder someone if it'll help save the universe". I was fine on the fully Paragon run until you get to that one guy in Mass Effect 2. You know the guy. Mister "Has never not been thrown out of that window" guy. Even goody two shoes Shep can't help but defenestrate him. Poor bastard.

"How about goodbye?"

Yeah the renegade prompts are always so tempting.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

wafflemoose posted:

"How about goodbye?"

I went with a Paragon maleShep, but this comes across as extra cold when it's him instead of femShep:https://youtu.be/QNzaJgNNK3A

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

wafflemoose posted:

"How about goodbye?"

If you don't headbutt that Krogan dude, I just don't know what the gently caress.

Conversely, on a Renegade run, if you don't hug Tali after she finds her dead father, I similarly don't know what the gently caress.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Phy posted:

If you don't headbutt that Krogan dude, I just don't know what the gently caress.

Conversely, on a Renegade run, if you don't hug Tali after she finds her dead father, I similarly don't know what the gently caress.

Can I headbutt Tali after she finds her dead father?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Lee posted:

Also, the voice actor for said demon-guy is Yuri Lowenthal, who delivers a stellar performance as an rear end in a top hat who desires wholesale destruction, but has to content himself with being a petty dick. You can really tell Yuri enjoyed the work; I'd imagine it was a nice change from his standard Guy Who Is An Alright Fellow roles.

He also plays the titular Guy Who Is An Amazing Fellow in the upcoming Spider-Man game.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Leal posted:

Can I headbutt Tali after she finds her dead father?

No, but you can headbutt her dead father into a hug.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Taking one last ride through Just Cause 3 before uninstalling it, remembered another cool little tidbit: The game takes place in Rico's home country and he's a local hero there so nobody cares when you steal their cars and, in fact, they cheer on your for it like "Go get them, Rico!" or "Careful with the transmission."

No citizens call the military on you too, no matter what you do, which may lead to some hosed up situations where you accidentally blow up a dozen rebels and everyone just carries on with their lives.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuringa posted:

No citizens call the military on you too, no matter what you do, which may lead to some hosed up situations where you accidentally blow up a dozen rebels and everyone just carries on with their lives.

"Rico knows what's what! He must have learned those rebels were actually Di Ravello sympathizers!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Similarly in the Planet 51 xbox game you aren't stealing cars - the owners are giving you a lift :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Riatsala posted:

Zeus: Master of Olympus

Is this related to the Pharoah/Cleopatra games? They had the same visual representation of all resources, and I loved building the supply chains and watching the monuments progress. They started simple with brick mastabas, then stepped pyramids using sandstone blocks. Being able to quickly look through and see where supplies were running thin was great. The only drawback was them distributing resources with randomly wandering peddlers, so you had to design your street layout perfectly to avoid them hitting any intersections.

Also chiming in to say that I played Hybrid Heaven when it came out, and it was a weird game with some great systems. Learning wrestling moves after they were used on you was really cool, and leveling up individual body parts made it feel like you were always progressing in something. I remember having some flash gun that only affected inanimate objects and having to do some janky platforming. Is there a good LP or playthrough of that game somewhere?

Fake edit for saying Caesar and meaning Pharaoh