Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
oh poo poo i just noticed the new(?) animation on spacemoose av! i almost always phonepost so i don't notice avs as much these days. anyways, newmoose av is cooler than breenshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Space opera uses Earth metaphors to tell visually exciting stories, not to accurately describe how economics and wars function in space.
Star Trek is real, Vulcans are real. Spock is real, and strong, and he's my friend.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i read that zephram cochrane was born in 2030, so i'm planning on somehow (in a legal and moral/ethical way, so chillax) having a son in 12 years and naming him zephram cochrane. just to nudge things along. first contact is in 2063, and it IS going to happen. isn't it? :(

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

that would be a cool goon project, birthing and raising a baby named zephram cochrane with the goal being to raise a child who will grow up to invent warp travel.

do some mild eugenics to select the ultimate urGoon and ultimate curvy goonette, get to fertilizing (up to them how it happens, test tube zeph is still zeph if they're just not clicking that way) but ultimately the baby's parents will be the entire forums, joint custody with all goons. there are enough of us to work out a schedule that would keep the kid supervised at all times, and every supervisory goon would impart some wisdom on the kid. as soon as he learns to read, he gets an account with the works (archives a must). we guide him gently and nurturingly into the study of fake tv science until he is able to make star trek real. from there on out, its basically just that scene in caddyshack where Rodney declares that we're all gonna get laid, forever.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

:perfect:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gatekeeper posted:

that would be a cool goon project, birthing and raising a baby named zephram cochrane with the goal being to raise a child who will grow up to invent warp travel.

do some mild eugenics to select the ultimate urGoon and ultimate curvy goonette, get to fertilizing (up to them how it happens, test tube zeph is still zeph if they're just not clicking that way) but ultimately the baby's parents will be the entire forums, joint custody with all goons. there are enough of us to work out a schedule that would keep the kid supervised at all times, and every supervisory goon would impart some wisdom on the kid. as soon as he learns to read, he gets an account with the works (archives a must). we guide him gently and nurturingly into the study of fake tv science until he is able to make star trek real. from there on out, its basically just that scene in caddyshack where Rodney declares that we're all gonna get laid, forever.

First we need to get the eugenics wars/WWIII out of the way.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gatekeeper posted:

i read that zephram cochrane was born in 2030, so i'm planning on somehow (in a legal and moral/ethical way, so chillax) having a son in 12 years and naming him zephram cochrane. just to nudge things along. first contact is in 2063, and it IS going to happen. isn't it? :(

Wait, he was 33 years old in First Contact?

:psyduck:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

wwIII is gonna be a motherfucker :( hail president piss, bringer of the post atomic horrors

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Bell Riots were caused by antifa thugs imho

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

timebecomesaloop

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hey.

Hey.

I just want to say

That you are awesome

Because you have a Space Moose avatar.

Hell yeah thanks man!

Gatekeeper posted:

oh poo poo i just noticed the new(?) animation on spacemoose av! i almost always phonepost so i don't notice avs as much these days. anyways, newmoose av is cooler than breenshit

Thanks! It got cyberpunked by forums poster TVsVeryOwn. :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gatekeeper posted:

i can't remember, do Brunt and Weyoun ever share a scene? i def remember at least one episode featuring both of them, but i can't remember if they actually cross paths. i feel like i vaguely recall a quick moment where they walk past each other or something but im not sure if it actually happened onscreen or only upon my fragile gay brainscreen during a fantastical midnight showing of my heart's deepest desires

There was a single episode that had they both in, and they desperately wanted to do a shot with them both walking down the promenade and glance at each other with a confused look but the shooting schedule and budget didn't allow for it :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This episode where Quark has a business rivalry with Prince Humperdinck is loving weird

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Alcoholism is no laughing matter.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Watching Voyager episode Life Fast and Prosper and lol at recruitment scamming before it was cool

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

goddamn, that dude method acting as tuvok might have been the funniest thing in all seven seasons of voyager

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Source.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gatekeeper posted:

goddamn, that dude method acting as tuvok might have been the funniest thing in all seven seasons of voyager

The best part is when he actually meets Tuvok and says something like "neither of us has the advantage, it would be illogical for you to shoot me" and then Tuvok is all "Your logic ...is flawed" *phaser shot*

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Did they ever explain why they cast the Quantum Leap guy as a Star Trek captain? Isn't that a terrible idea to begin with? A guy who was already the lead on another sci-fi show?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I thought he was a great choice for the kind of Right Stuff-esque Boy Scout character they seemed to envision when the show started, but I always feel like he was immediately thrown a curve ball with garbage scripts and constant retooling and never got a handle on the role. I always feel kind of embarrassed for him when I watch the show because I feel like I'm kind of watching him in over his head trying to make this thing work.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

He's a very subtle Captain compared to the galactic cowboy, the sanctimonious Frenchman, God/Jambalaya cook, and the bipolar dictator that's for sure.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

His skin care regieme is this new alcohol addiction and radiation exposure fad.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

You really can't blame him for 9/11 happening, without that little surprise twist Enterprise would've probably been a cool chill Folksy Folks Adventuring in Space Show taking a lot of cues from TOS. Reality didn't work out that way.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

barbecue at the folks posted:

You really can't blame him for 9/11 happening,

Or can you??????

Was Scott Bakula in the twin towers when the plane hit? Or the Pentagon?

No? Coincidence? I'll leave it for you to decide.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm rewatching DS9 and I just got to the episode where Dukat calls Kira just to let her know he's banged out her mom.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

frogge posted:

I'm rewatching DS9 and I just got to the episode where Dukat calls Kira just to let her know he's banged out her mom.

This episode is fantastic.

I'm not sure whether 2am phone call from Dukat to Kira just to tell her he banged her mother or Beverly crusher's mother's house has a ghost in a candle who is DTF is the best plot hook ever.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Dukat was the hero of that episode.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
In my headcannon Dukat had just learned about yo moma jokes and decided if he was gonna do one he was going to do it right.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

drilldo squirt posted:

In my headcannon Dukat had just learned about yo moma jokes and decided if he was gonna do one he was going to do it right.

lmfao

Animal-Mother posted:

Did they ever explain why they cast the Quantum Leap guy as a Star Trek captain? Isn't that a terrible idea to begin with? A guy who was already the lead on another sci-fi show?

that reminds me: not a sci-fi show but they're forever linked in my mind as i believe one aired right after the other on TV when I was a kid and my dad and I always watched them together: quantum leap and macmotherfuckingguyver. i just learned recently that of the many folks who auditioned for the Sisko, who else but Richard Dean Anderson was on the short list of potential Siskos. obviously Avery Brooks is THE Sisko and i wouldnt trade him for anyone else in the role (even myself!) but there is a part of me that would have loved to see jack o'neill the starfleet officer :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gatekeeper posted:

that reminds me: not a sci-fi show but they're forever linked in my mind as i believe one aired right after the other on TV when I was a kid and my dad and I always watched them together: quantum leap and macmotherfuckingguyver. i just learned recently that of the many folks who auditioned for the Sisko, who else but Richard Dean Anderson was on the short list of potential Siskos. obviously Avery Brooks is THE Sisko and i wouldnt trade him for anyone else in the role (even myself!) but there is a part of me that would have loved to see jack o'neill the starfleet officer :3:

That's pretty much Season 1 Stargate SG-1, let's be honest.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

drilldo squirt posted:

Maybe it was a cultural misunderstanding. He watched some human TV shows and saw theses "yo momma" jokes often generated laughter and bonding. He really wants to bind with Kira so he's like "I know!".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wasn't this after he spent time in Federation custody?

Kira had a rather interesting arc coming to something of an understanding with Cardassians towards the end of the show. Also, notable that I don't think Garak, when he had to interact with her, was ever anything but straight and respectful, aside from the time he tried to represent the Cardassian point of view at a Bajoran conference and basically spent the whole thing getting ridiculed.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's pretty much Season 1 Stargate SG-1, let's be honest.

To be fair, SG1 was probably a better fit for Anderson anyhow.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't this after he spent time in Federation custody?

Kira had a rather interesting arc coming to something of an understanding with Cardassians towards the end of the show. Also, notable that I don't think Garak, when he had to interact with her, was ever anything but straight and respectful, aside from the time he tried to represent the Cardassian point of view at a Bajoran conference and basically spent the whole thing getting ridiculed.

Which episode was that, do you mind?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tactlessbastard posted:

Which episode was that, do you mind?

I'm terrible with names, though it might be one of the time travel weirdness ones where they end up in the bodies of Bajorans during the occupation on Terok Nor, and probably Garak has a 'in another man's shoes' moment.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Goddamn Riker makes some great faces in 11001001.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

inner light 😢
ugh between this and ds9's visitor, the waterworks are just too much. like televisually chopping onions.

second chances, i forgot how depressing Thomas Riker's existence is, everything about him makes me so sad. that poker game where RikerPrime tries to big dog his double was brutal, when Tom responds with a "yeah congrats on beating the pathetic fucker who spent the past eight years stepping in poo poo, you definitely deserve to feel so cocky right now and not like some kinda prickless nazi who kicks people while they're down". and then troi gives him some major emotional blue balls (and actual blue balls probably)

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

To be fair, SG1 was probably a better fit for Anderson anyhow.

true, but of all the treks ds9 seems like the one that would have fit Anderson best, his humor and the show's humor would have been a good match i think

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Gatekeeper posted:

When will you nerds get it through your heads that this isn't the Star Trek universe.

This is the Independence Day universe and we haven't designed the giant ships we will go invade other planets with yet.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

After having positively breezed through the first season of Enterprise, as opposed to our dear Voyager, I'm right on the last episode of the season. The season wasn't great but a solid effort and already I like the continuity even though it could have been used a lot more effectively. I actually enjoyed watching these guys stumbled around for a while the stakes are minimal and I think Archer is pretty OK in my books.

The human characters, as someone else mentioned, are all boy scouts in their own way. The best and brightest that Earth has to offer. Just good ole Earthling doings Earth Things. Even Archer's resentment for the Vulcans becomes a non-issue very quickly.

Any ways on to Season 2. I think this show is a lot better regarded now than it was on release. I know first season plays it safe, way too safe, but it keeps getting better and better until it got cancelled and we got an amazing love to hate ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VictorianQueerLit posted:

When will you nerds get it through your heads that this isn't the Star Trek universe.

Oh, sure it is.

We're just in the mirror universe, is all.