Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

Both max out their levels early, they're good early to mid-game monsters but Saber can carry you till the final (not postgame) boss.

I didn't even realize there was a max level. I want to ask the thread I think I'm going to switch it up after beating V so I don't get burned out. And V has got me in a monster raising mood, of the monsters series in english Is joker 2 my best bet or do the Gameboy games hold up. When I was a kid I had a friend who was adamant that they were better than pokemon and I'm sort of curious if he was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

raditts posted:

Probably something like you have to create a brick for it to drape onto, then delete the brick.

Breaking a block with ivy on it just knocks the ivy off too :(

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I did a thing. I wanted a way to play every single DQ game ever made conveniently. Heroes/Builders doesn't count.

When I was conceptualizing this idea, I never considered how to dump old save files from ds and 3ds carts. :(

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gaius Marius posted:

I didn't even realize there was a max level.

Each monster has their own level cap. Apples are pretty low, at 20.

Slime Knights, by contrast, are Level 99.

Honestly Slime Knights are a contender for best monster in the game.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

I did a thing.

This kicks rear end, just thought I'd let you know.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Dr Pepper posted:

Especially when you get one named Pierre, the Best Slime Knight. :hist101:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dr Pepper posted:

Levels also aren't always consistent I believe both the King Slime and King CureSlime both have really low level caps but get huge amounts of stats with each level.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Slime knight kicks rear end cause he can use the same gear as the hero on top of leveling well

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Different monsters for different things. If I recall correctly, the apple is OP early game and instrumental for speed running.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Important Ivy Construction Update

Extensive field research has shown that if you place ivy on an object that is more than one tile large (like a window) and then remove the object, only one tile's worth of ivy will be removed from that space. Therefore, the dream of hanging ivy is still alive

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

When I was conceptualizing this idea, I never considered how to dump old save files from ds and 3ds carts. :(

and also you kinda need to in order to unlock DQIX DLC

you can put 1k hours into that game p. easy, help.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
There's actually a DQ9 save editor, dumping the file isn't that hard if you have a way to run homebrew on a DS. There's a utility that hotswaps the game cart and your homebrew cart to get the save on your MicroSD.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Is it possible to beat DQ6 without ever taking any vocations?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Uh maybe but you'd be grinding even more to get the kind of power out of levels alone

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The final boss made me grind vocations out of spite so I can't imagine doing it without.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

The more I play DQ7 the more I wish it had the original visuals or it got ported to the 4-6 look. The 3d models are kinda ugly and the 3d terrain just makes travelling slower. Doesn't help that the colors look kinda washed out compared to all the other games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There are times I kinda wish it had the 4-6 look but 3D models for monsters add a lot since they don’t really have death animations otherwise, especially the unique ones for getting hit with high-end abilities.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

So having played and loved DQ4 and 5 on the DS recently I moved onto 6 and 7. I'm getting through both at the same time little by little, playing 6 on the phone and 7 on 3DS. I'm 17 hours into both.

I didn't expect much from 6 and it is nowhere as good as 4 and 5 but it's still fun as hell. Combat is still snappy, the classes work great, it pretty much gives an incentive to fight everything and get something from it. On the other hand the story's a bit shambles, stuff happens seemingly at random and pretty much all the characters are flat. Right now I found the flying bed (should I spoiler this?) and have no idea where to go. I might be weird but this is my favorite moment of each DQ game I played - I get a new vehicle and can explore the world, find some secrets and get my rear end beat by superstrong monsters.

DQ7 is weird. I'm really trying to like it but most of the time it just feels like a waste of my time. Visiting each island twice (or thrice), moving through the same dungeons numerous times. And there's so many stupid talk to this person flags to get to the next bit of the story. Even the UI feels sluggish and it's worse somehow, why are there categories for spells? And why is Sap into 'other'? Why are there no pictures of inventory?

The story has its moments and is definitely the saddest of the four but it feels like they were making different games and just connected it all loosely with the island idea. Or maybe there is the flying bed moment when all of the island are connected again and I can explore it all. At the moment I'm at Alltrades Abbey and it loving sucks. A strong character just left the party (with no foreshadowing or explanation, he just goddamn left) and I have to fight everything without using magic or skills. I still haven't unlocked the class system and getting to it was probably the biggest cocktease in gaming. Oh you want to be a warrior? Wait, there's actually this huge plot you have to wade through before that. So weird.

I really want to play 4 and 5 again on mobile because they have better music and party chat but I really can't see replaying 7 ever.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love all of 7 but yea don't worry, it doesn't pull an Alltrades Abbey again.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I’m playing DQIV right now, and am currently stuck on the Marquis fight on Chapter 5. Am I missing something? He is wiping me on the second turn every single time.

My guys are lvl14 right now. And decently geared for everything else I’ve come across. He’s literally 10x harder than any of the mobs ive seen around the map.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

an actual dog posted:

Alltrades Abbey is the worse and drains my will to play the rest of the game, and the worst part is that it would actually be a really good, memorable part of the game if it were just half as long. As it is, it is just a mean spirited slog.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

an actual dog posted:

Is that guy coming back? I found his grave but thought maybe I'll change the past again later in the game?

Unlucky7 posted:

Alltrades Abbey is the worse and drains my will to play the rest of the game, and the worst part is that it would actually be a really good, memorable part of the game if it were just half as long. As it is, it is just a mean spirited slog.

The dungeon is too goddamn big. And you have to go through it three times. And the second time there's no monsters, you just have to walk through all of that to the exit for some inexplicable reason.

I had the same feeling with the previous island with that gypsy-like tribe. That quest felt like it belonged to a completely different game and I still have no idea what that was about.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Hahaha, and now it expects me to fight in a goddamn arena. After all that poo poo there's a boss marathon. Wow. I don't think I'll be playing that anymore, I'll wrap up 6 and move to 8.

Also gently caress the visible random encounters. They spawn constantly and it results a fight literally every two seconds in dungeons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Is that guy coming back? I found his grave but thought maybe I'll change the past again later in the game?

Its not Kiefer’s grave. 7 likes to subvert your expectations like that

quote:

The dungeon is too goddamn big. And you have to go through it three times. And the second time there's no monsters, you just have to walk through all of that to the exit for some inexplicable reason.

I had the same feeling with the previous island with that gypsy-like tribe. That quest felt like it belonged to a completely different game and I still have no idea what that was about.

The Roamer poo poo is probably the single most plot-relevant island in the game. Like, I’m not gonna pretend that 7 is a perfect entry even if it’s a labor of love and I don’t see where you’re coming from in general, but yeah, The Almighty is straight up God who went missing after his battle with Not-Satan, king of the monsters who make things lovely for humans everywhere you go, which I think is alluded to by now. So yeah, a tribe that goes around reviving him is kinda really relevant.

Anyway I never found Alltrades the slog everyone else did but I hope you can come back to 7 with the mentality that the focus is on eighteen different (generally self-contained) vignettes eventually.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I don't think any game in the series benefits from being played on an emulator so you can grind at turbo speed as much as7*

*Not counting 9's post game but post game stuff is a different beast entirely

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Terminally Bored posted:

previous poster was a little unintentionally getting your hopes up, you are not getting that person back in your party

also you will lose Maribel for a while much later in the game but she does come back (so just like, be prepared)

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Anyway I never found Alltrades the slog everyone else did but I hope you can come back to 7 with the mentality that the focus is on eighteen different (generally self-contained) vignettes eventually.

I will finish it eventually. I mean I put 18 hours in already, might as well see the end. It was just so weird coming from 4-6 into this.

Do any of the DQ games have an NG+ mode?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Nah, just usually a nice postgame dungeon, sometimes with a bit of extra plot attached.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

virinvictus posted:

I’m playing DQIV right now, and am currently stuck on the Marquis fight on Chapter 5. Am I missing something? He is wiping me on the second turn every single time.

My guys are lvl14 right now. And decently geared for everything else I’ve come across. He’s literally 10x harder than any of the mobs ive seen around the map.

I'm at the same spot right now. He's a bit overtuned, I think. The main issue with that fight is the ice breath attack. Meena doesn't get Insulate until level 29 and the only accessible resistance gear you can get at this point in the game are Dragon Mail (bought in the next town) for the hero and Iron shields for hero, Kiryl and Meena. You will basically just need levels for raw HP, mostly. Borya gets Oomph at level 19 which is incredibly good for boss fights, and Kiryl/Meena get their first revive spells at lvs 21/20, respecitvely. Hero, Kiryl, Meena, and Borya would be a good lineup I think. Just buff the Hero up so he does all the damage then heal up constantly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

virinvictus posted:

That honestly sounds a bit low so maybe your gear's also not great? He's the first "get your poo poo together" boss fight. But you have a ship and therefore you have access to several locations that provide sources of real good gear. Some of it's a bit pricey. I forget how quickly you can get the tiny medals for a Sword of Miracles in the remake but in the NES version it wasn't too hard to get one as soon as you had the boat and went to check out a few extra towns. It'd be a huge boost for your hero's damage output too. I know in both the NES and remake versions you can get by with a setup like the Hero, Alena, Cristo and Nara or Mara depending on your offense/defense needs. Though RNG will always be a factor since if Leon goes heavy on AOE all you can really do is heal like mad while Alena punches him repeatedly.

If you happened to abuse the poo poo out of the bag and chapter 3* to give yourself a source of (near) infinite gold you can hit a few of the 'late game' towns that sell high end gear which will help a ton compared to broad/malice swords and full plate or whatever.

* Bag contents carry over to chapter 5, while in the NES only inventory did. This means when you open your shop you can make tons of gold and use it to buy 99 swords of magic, half plate, or whatever, and dump them all in to the bag, which you can then sell in chapter 5. So as soon as you get Taloon in your party and his ship, you go straight to a player like Rivertown and Elfville to buy some of the best gear in the game for you units. Then when you have the magic key you go back to Endor and buy Metal King armor for everyone who can wear it.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Out of curiosity, am I the only person who loved the Alltrades Abbey segment in dq7?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Out of curiosity, am I the only person who loved the Alltrades Abbey segment in dq7?

No, I adore it and everything else it's just a pain in the rear end also

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Rent-a-Bot posted:

i liked it, but i also think it could have been a lighter more tightly plotted and maybe come earlier in the game

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Alltrades is a great concept that went too long. The dungeon should have been shorter, especially.

I had a decent chuckle when I realized what the game did at first with its initial kick in the dick. At some point, the dick kicking just started to seem kind of mean-spirited.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Picked up DWM2 again because I felt like it. Just got to Limbo. Jimeous's FAQ over on GameFAQs (and also my own vague memories of my last playthrough) says that GreatDrak is catchable in Limbo, right outside the entry shrine. I haven't seen one. Seen a bunch of BossTrolls, trying to make a GigaDraco, gender isn't an issue because I got two Puppetors for Pheremone, but I'm just not seeing one.

Is the Internet lying? Am I unlucky? Does a specific screen have a higher GreatDrak rate, since I know the encounter rate is by screen?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That zone should be full of GreatDraks. I just loaded up my save to check and GreatDrak was in the second encounter. (This was on the screen with the tower entrance that leads to the final boss).

Sounds like you are just unlucky, keep looking.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Picked up DWM2 again because I felt like it. Just got to Limbo. Jimeous's FAQ over on GameFAQs (and also my own vague memories of my last playthrough) says that GreatDrak is catchable in Limbo, right outside the entry shrine. I haven't seen one. Seen a bunch of BossTrolls, trying to make a GigaDraco, gender isn't an issue because I got two Puppetors for Pheremone, but I'm just not seeing one.

Is the Internet lying? Am I unlucky? Does a specific screen have a higher GreatDrak rate, since I know the encounter rate is by screen?

It's actually version specific if I remember correctly. GreatDrak only shows up in Cobi's version.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Plasbad posted:

It's actually version specific if I remember correctly. GreatDrak only shows up in Cobi's version.

Was about to post this. I remember playing tara's version after beating cobi's and being really disappointed that I couldn't farm greatdraks from that level. It was nice being able to tame bosstrolls though.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I don't think I've ever met someone IRL whose favorite NES game is DW4 despite it being so so so good- I'm guessing no one could afford it, I remember Funcoland price sheets listing it at $75+ the whole time such price sheets existed. It took me years to finish because I rented it over and over, hoping last weekend's renter didn't nuke the save files-

anyway I really liked the chapter format and it strikes me that 4 could be expanded into like a ten chapter beautiful monstrosity- at the very least a Chapter 0 starring Healie, maybe another one as Hector or even Saro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
It was mine. I mowed a lot of lawns to get that drat game on release... and had to wait a week and a half because we lived over an hour from the mall :laffo:

I still have it complete in the box.