Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I'm impressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Same, every U-Haul I've ever rented has been a janky piece of poo poo that could barely maintain highway speed (55 lol). I am genuinely impressed and/or not convinced that a U-Haul *squints* 20ft could actually haul that thing, much less through what appears to be a ditch or at least grass.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Same, every U-Haul I've ever rented has been a janky piece of poo poo that could barely maintain highway speed (55 lol). I am genuinely impressed and/or not convinced that a U-Haul *squints* 20ft could actually haul that thing, much less through what appears to be a ditch or at least grass.

You'd be surprised. I let a crazy person drive my U-Haul while I took a rental car, and he made a 10 hour trip in 7.

Everything was mashed up against the rear door and spilled out when we opened it.

I still have no idea how he managed that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/988656439756558336?s=19

If only they had tied their shoes properly.

Edit: I was trying to make fun of the dumbass headline here, and tie it to the running joke about shoes falling off, in case that wasn't clear. Getting rundown because some guy couldn't get laid isn't funny.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh god why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjJJeFDk8Ok

I instantly thought Oregon Trail "Enjoy your Dysentery". TDS didn't disappoint.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

If it helps, I think the driver is trying to take the right turning exit lane against the traffic to avoid the left turn around the little island the stop sign is on.

It doesn't change the :psyduck: of this affair, however.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I managed to get a 14' one to the 70mph interstate speed limit (IIRC it had a governor at 70), but you can almost watch the gas gauge drop in real-time at that point.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It's a mobile home, minus the mobile.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Chevy will happily sell you a 20 foot box truck toting a 6.0 liter V8. With 340-360 horsepower, aerodynamic forces limit the top speed more than lack of power.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Every U-Haul I've driven has been governed to top out at interstate speeds anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

Chevy will happily sell you a 20 foot box truck toting a 6.0 liter V8. With 340-360 horsepower, aerodynamic forces limit the top speed more than lack of power.

They’ll also sell you one with a 200hp diesel. Guess which one uhaul bought

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/21Yvan4.mp4

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hobbesmaster posted:

They’ll also sell you one with a 200hp diesel. Guess which one uhaul bought

Definitely not the diesel. Haven't seen a U-Haul with a diesel since the late '90s (also the last time I saw one have a stick), presumably because they got tired of having trucks taken out of service after idiots put gas in 'em.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

wolrah posted:

Definitely not the diesel. Haven't seen a U-Haul with a diesel since the late '90s (also the last time I saw one have a stick), presumably because they got tired of having trucks taken out of service after idiots put gas in 'em.

You can get them, but you usually have to call in advance and ask.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-sLLAtgWA

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

:vince:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Synthbuttrange posted:

so what was he doing?

The purple flame indicates that he's throwing a potassium salt at the fire.

An old method for making smoke bombs from household chemicals is to combine saltpeter (Potassium nitrate) and sugar.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er9g5Gw_aXo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

axolotl farmer posted:

The purple flame indicates that he's throwing a potassium salt at the fire.

An old method for making smoke bombs from household chemicals is to combine saltpeter (Potassium nitrate) and sugar.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er9g5Gw_aXo

Infrared light shows up as purple on cameras so not necessarily. .

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Caution: road may flood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Xu_O88cfQ

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

drat, I want to see the Top gear guys do that, In like a Ferrari.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hell, their attempts at amphibious cars would be better suited.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Man that's bad. Good thing he's just filming it and not trying to drive on it." :stare:

"Wait, he is driving on it." :catstare:

"There's how many people in the truck?" :staredog:

"There's even more people in the back of the truck?" :dogbutton:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Jesus gently caress he's doing a hangten

with a truck

on a cliff

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
You would think the editor would go with a more tasteful tagline than "SHREDDED ALIVE", but it is The Sun:

SHREDDED ALIVE Horrifying moment chopper crash survivor is sliced to death by spinning blades of a second helicopter that came to rescue him after seven days

Video has the moment of impact but no gore is shown. Probably don't watch if you're extra sensitive to these things.

What a way to go. :stonkhat:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus. Though you'd think a helicopter pilot would know better than to be anywhere near a landing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Synthbuttrange posted:

Jesus. Though you'd think a helicopter pilot would know better than to be anywhere near a landing.

Well if they crashed the first one then maybe not.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

The second was finishing what the first started. You strongly underestimate the rotorcraft's lust for blood.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

weg posted:

You would think the editor would go with a more tasteful tagline than "SHREDDED ALIVE", but it is The Sun:

SHREDDED ALIVE Horrifying moment chopper crash survivor is sliced to death by spinning blades of a second helicopter that came to rescue him after seven days

Video has the moment of impact but no gore is shown. Probably don't watch if you're extra sensitive to these things.

What a way to go. :stonkhat:

So that's what Max Landis has been working on since Bright.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It blew my mind when I found out he played Immortan Joe

topical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CoLFf6BtlI

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i hanjo

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

hanzo pls switch :)

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's one of the more famous ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Beats dumping solid calcium carbide into the headlight housing every few miles. No one in that car would survive a collision severe enough to burst that acetylene tank anyway.

Early automobiles were amazingly dangerous in almost every way imaginable.

I remember my dad and grandpa trying to teach me how to drive manual on a 1929 Ford Model A. Before they let me go down the street my grandpa pulled me aside and said "just to let you know, this car predates such things as seat belts, collapsible steering columns, and tempered glass windshields. Have fun!" The shifter felt like death every time I wanted to switch gears and I stalled the engine five thousand times before I gave up.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Origin posted:

I remember my dad and grandpa trying to teach me how to drive manual on a 1929 Ford Model A. Before they let me go down the street my grandpa pulled me aside and said "just to let you know, this car predates such things as seat belts, collapsible steering columns, and tempered glass windshields. Have fun!" The shifter felt like death every time I wanted to switch gears and I stalled the engine five thousand times before I gave up.

That sounds like my dad's first time driving, except he was in the mountains and his dad and brother got drunk and told him he had to drive home.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Origin posted:

This randomly reminds me: one of my cousins used to work at the Henry Ford Museum. One of the things he'd do there was drive visitors around on a little loop in a Model T. He said that basically every day he'd get at least one cocky guy bugging him "hey man, can you let me drive it? I drive stick, I have a Mustang, I know what I'm doing, I won't tell anyone," and so on. His response was usually to jump out and say "sure! take over" and then bask in the guy's expression when he slid into the driver's seat:

quote:

The Model T's transmission was controlled with three foot pedals and a lever mounted to the road side of the driver's seat. The throttle was controlled with a lever on the steering wheel. The left pedal was used to engage the transmission. With the floor lever in either the mid position or fully forward and the pedal pressed and held forward, the car entered low gear. When held in an intermediate position, the car was in neutral. If the left pedal was released, the Model T entered high gear, but only when the lever was fully forward – in any other position, the pedal would only move up as far as the central neutral position. This allowed the car to be held in neutral while the driver cranked the engine by hand. The car could thus cruise without the driver having to press any of the pedals.

The Model T engine's ignition system used a flywheel-mounted magneto to produce the current necessary to produce a spark to initiate combustion. This current was distributed by the timer (analogous to a distributor in a modern vehicle) to one of the four trembler coils, one for each cylinder. The coil stepped up the voltage and discharged it to the spark plug in the cylinder. Ignition timing was adjusted manually by using the spark advance lever mounted on the steering column, which rotated the timer, advancing or retarding the ignition timing. A certain amount of skill and experience was required to find the optimal spark timing for any speed and load.

:iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

therobit posted:

That sounds like my dad's first time driving, except he was in the mountains and his dad and brother got drunk and told him he had to drive home.

My dad taught me to drive stick in his manual-everything pickup when I was 9. He told me, "listen, my family has a history of heart problems. If one of us is in trouble, and no one else can drive, I want to make sure you can drive us to the hospital."

Thanks, Dad. I love having a crisis of mortality while also wrestling a big, red vehicle that handles like a horse on meth. Awesome.