Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
For every good second opinions theme there are fifty awful ones is my big problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, now I feel better about my opinion. I'm not a fan of audience participation and second opinion theme songs. But I get it they make money off of these Largo shows and probably nothing in studio. I will make an exception for "No Holds Barred". That was a great live show.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Live Show Problems:
1. Jason dominates the convo too much by yelling nonstop, which he doesn't do in studio eps
2. All the audience interaction stuff is bad, extremely rote, and there's WAY too much "hey stranger Imma stick a mic in your face be funny right NOW" stuff
3. They do a bunch of clips and images and stuff, which is a waste of time, then do the same "gently caress you listener" jokes every time, which is also a waste of time
4. They record them back to back to back and then sit on the episodes for 6 months and release them out of order which makes things jarring and confusing.
5. In general the live shows lead to too much "This... Movie... is... CRAZY!!!!!" stuff instead of actual jokes or conversation because it pops the crowd.

Thank you for reading my feedback.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only good episodes of HDTGM are where they had the Crocodile Dundee guy on and Lexi Alexander.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Don't remember if it was in here or in the CBB thread where people where talking about the Dead Authors podcast, but I like Jon Hodgman so I started with that one and thought it was pretty good! Then I started listening to the Roald Dahl episode and turned it off after maybe 2 minutes. I like Ben Schwartz but that was just awful.

Are most episodes like the Hodgman one where they actually make an effort to act like their character? Or more like the Schartz episode where he's just being more or less himself? I'm sure some authors are easier than others I guess.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Inspector 34 posted:

Don't remember if it was in here or in the CBB thread where people where talking about the Dead Authors podcast, but I like Jon Hodgman so I started with that one and thought it was pretty good! Then I started listening to the Roald Dahl episode and turned it off after maybe 2 minutes. I like Ben Schwartz but that was just awful.

Are most episodes like the Hodgman one where they actually make an effort to act like their character? Or more like the Schartz episode where he's just being more or less himself? I'm sure some authors are easier than others I guess.

The Roald Dahl episode has one of the greatest moments in the history of the podcast.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Inspector 34 posted:

It really depends on whose on. Some people are just comedians who probably looking at the wikipedia in the green room and some are huge fans of who they're portraying

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, that ep is slooow going but really picks up.

If you wamt to listen to the best episode(s) go for the L Ron Hubbard ones. They're incredible.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is that with Andy Daly? I just listened to the L. Ron Hubbard episode of the ADPPP and it was pretty awesome

Tavarin posted:

The Roald Dahl episode has one of the greatest moments in the history of the podcast.

Yeah, I remember reading that around here somewhere which was why I took a chance on it, but I couldn't get past "Where my bitches at!!!??"

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Bro, you got to listen to more than 2 episodes. They're almost all good, and I would say the only bad ones are when the guest just isn't funny.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh I will for sure, would just like to avoid any bad ones if possible. I'm sure my tastes are different than some people though, so if there are some that are more similar to the Rand episode than the Dahl one that's what I'm looking for. To be honest though, I'm starting to run out of time. I mostly just listen in my car but my commute is only 10 minutes so CBB and ADPPP usually get me through the week unless I have a bunch of errands to run or something.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
I highly recommend the episode with The Brothers Grimm, played by Matt Gourley and Jeremy Carter. I've relistened to it many times now, it's one of my favorite podcast eps of all time.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

The only good episodes of HDTGM are where they had the Crocodile Dundee guy on and Lexi Alexander.

The hulk hogan movie one is funny, with the part where the guy is just throwing a dog in the water

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I think most of the Jessica St. Claire episodes are good, because of her open disdain for almost everything about movies.

I'd love to see a top five list of films she actually does like.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Terror Sweat posted:

The hulk hogan movie one is funny, with the part where the guy is just throwing a dog in the water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JybA_nSPnG0

"That's not a 'fun for the dog' throw, that's an 'I GOTTA GET RID OF THIS DOG' throw."

Not Operator posted:

I'd love to see a top five list of films she actually does like.

1. Shrek (for the soundtrack)

Beyond that, no clue. Nothing involving eating fruit.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

Jorge Luis Borges (Nick Kroll) is my favorite episode. Good blend of still being funny and knowing a good amount about the author.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Jorge Luis Borges (Nick Kroll) is my favorite episode. Good blend of still being funny and knowing a good amount about the author.

Mary Hollands Virginia Woolf episode is great, but I think my favorite is PFT playing Mark Twain. He really gets into it. SATIRE!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

ArtVandelay posted:

Mary Hollands Virginia Woolf episode is great, but I think my favorite is PFT playing Mark Twain. He really gets into it. SATIRE!

Orange you glad...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Mary Holland's great in general and I feel like she should be more famous.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Drunkboxer posted:

She's responsible for one of the best PFT laughs on Comedy Bang Bang.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Mary Holland was Janice Cramps, right? I don't think I've ever heard PFT laugh as hard as her introduction.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

The only time I heard him laugh harder was the Spont ep with Lund and Blasooch where Amanda gets tricked into admitting her character did something bad and the only thing she could think of on the spot was "I ate a whole...ROLL OF QUARTERS." PFT was done for a 5 minutes afterwards.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

She's responsible for one of the best PFT laughs on Comedy Bang Bang.

Does anyone have this ep number? I want to relisten to this.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

This opens me to remind everyone to watch Shrink.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Franchescanado posted:

Does anyone have this ep number? I want to relisten to this.

I think it's 446

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
One of Mary Holland's best improv tactics is completely stalling out/being at a loss for words and it's somehow funny every time she does it

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

One of Mary Holland's best improv tactics is completely stalling out/being at a loss for words and it's somehow funny every time she does it

Nowhere is that more obvious than the first Chucky Spliff episode, and that's her best performance yet, as far as i'm concerned.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector 34 posted:

Is that with Andy Daly? I just listened to the L. Ron Hubbard episode of the ADPPP and it was pretty awesome

Even for as good as the ADPPP ep was, his other L. Ron Hubbard appearances are funnier IMO. Check 'em out.

JethroMcB posted:

She is one of my favorites and I will tune in to pretty much anything she is on :allears:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Obligatory link to Mary Holland on 'Before You Were Funny' podcast, where she reads her highschool poem about her love for potatoes and you can practically hear the embarrassment

https://art19.com/shows/before-you-were-funny/episodes/57e038d0-501c-41ea-ba1a-b0f2a30b42d1

Also featuring A+ stories by Dan Harmon and Molasses Boy himself, Allan McLeod

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/BigGrandeUCB/status/988459895576977408

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zsinjeh posted:

Obligatory link to Mary Holland on 'Before You Were Funny' podcast, where she reads her highschool poem about her love for potatoes and you can practically hear the embarrassment

https://art19.com/shows/before-you-were-funny/episodes/57e038d0-501c-41ea-ba1a-b0f2a30b42d1

Also featuring A+ stories by Dan Harmon and Molasses Boy himself, Allan McLeod

A fantastic episode and if you want the timestamp for the potatoes poem just go to exactly 1 hour in

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

...And I'll take that perfait now

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
The boys continue their Cal Ripken like streak of perfect on topic ad reads with their Pistol Shrimps and the episode features some pretty good David Caruso stories.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
The extended version of the How Long song on the Pro Version making the boys sad because it's basically a summary of their podcasting career in 1.5 minutes is a real hoot. It could have actually been a really good last episode.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Threedom comes out on Wednesdays right? Not seeing a new episode

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Riptor posted:

I think it and ADPPP are on a Thursday schedule, for whatever reason.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Well that would explain it!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Riptor posted:

It is definitely a Thursday release. Wednesdays are for R U Talkin REM RE: Me?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Vhak lord of hate posted:

The extended version of the How Long song on the Pro Version making the boys sad because it's basically a summary of their podcasting career in 1.5 minutes is a real hoot. It could have actually been a really good last episode.

This whole song was a real roller coaster experience and is probably the hardest I've laughed at a podcast in a really long time.

The sad realization that it was encapsulating years of their work was the peak, but I also really loved Bret hoping for a shoutout followed almost immediately by a Cody shoutout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

xbilkis posted:

This whole song was a real roller coaster experience and is probably the hardest I've laughed at a podcast in a really long time.

The sad realization that it was encapsulating years of their work was the peak, but I also really loved Bret hoping for a shoutout followed almost immediately by a Cody shoutout

It really was so spectacular, the dude really went all the way with it. "sean is a cutie and hayes is a snack"