Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Epic could go the DotA International route and crowd fun the prize pot for whatever big, official tournament they want to put together. All they'd need to do is release a special "Fortnite Tournament Battle Pass" that unlocks an exclusive tournament skin with matching back bling and a pick axe and they'll have their $1 million dollar tournament funded in like a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Been away from home all week, and I'll finally get the chance to play big teams tonight. Still very excited because I never take LTE's seriously

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

50v50 is good to just mess around in, yeah. I've been playing it only using "off meta" loadouts. It's also good for beginners to hone in on building since you get assloads of materials fast and you won't die for a good long while.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I have friends that are newer and use it to practice building cuz of all the mats. TBH most of the ltm just aren't for me, I love the base mode so much...and I'm addicted to my stats :(
First game I've ever even cared about my pvp stats.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Nullsmack posted:

I had several games where 50v50 was a clusterfuck of people stealing supply drops. More than once I'd be waiting on one, or shooting it down only to have someone build over me so they could open it instead. Or I'd open one and then someone would run up and grab the stuff out of it. Or worse, fly over from a jump pad from 100 feet away to steal it. I feel like it'd be better if they would have each one spawn 2 or 4 copies of each item that was in it. Maybe that would calm the loot sniping down some. But not every game was like that, and most of the good ones were where people didn't drop directly on the final circle from the start. It's very painful to run in if you dropped far away and didn't find a jump pad though.

TDIL you can shoot the supply drops down.

I’m such a scrub at this game. I’m 30 and this is the first game that makes me curse these drat kids and their reflexes.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
I sunk probably 50 hours in before I realized what those little moving circles were for when I was harvesting materials.

It's the 'critical hit' spot, duh.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

TracerBullet posted:

I sunk probably 50 hours in before I realized what those little moving circles were for when I was harvesting materials.

It's the 'critical hit' spot, duh.

I thought it was random for far longer than that - I had like maybe 80 wins before I realized my folly.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

....How? It makes a really loud noise and the number decreased by double the normal amount.

Edit: posted as someone who is hundreds of games in and still struggles with basic editing of builds.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Asnorban posted:

....How? It makes a really loud noise and the number decreased by double the normal amount.

Edit: posted as someone who is hundreds of games in and still struggles with basic editing of builds.

I thought it was a random crit chance, like 30% or something.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Asnorban posted:

I thought the blue thing was to mark/target what I was hitting and I thought the noises/crits were totally random.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
yeah i thought it was an indicator so you could make sure you were hitting the right object too for ages

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Now you can move on to the real pro-tip, which is to rotate around the object you're mining so that the indicator stays in essentially the same spot and you can hit it every time.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Real real pro tip is to learn the animation cancelling to farm twice as fast - don't even bother trying to do it if you aren't playing on your nearest server (i.e. queuing with friends on a different coast)

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

And destroy trees/cars without ever stopping and without ever not critting. This is way easier in BR though, since you run 20% slower while actually mining (which isn't the case in PvE).

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Beastie posted:

TDIL you can shoot the supply drops down.

I’m such a scrub at this game. I’m 30 and this is the first game that makes me curse these drat kids and their reflexes.

Yeah, it takes about 1000 damage and you have to shoot the balloon but once that is destroyed the box drops to the ground.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So season 3 ends on April 30th, do we know if season 4 is starting immediately then or if they're gonna wait till the normal Thursday updates, or...?

I just wanna know cause I may want to take a day off work to :getin:

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
50v50 is really, really fun.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I suck at the "clashing armies" part of 50v50 and have enjoyed going black ops* on the other team - glide near their end of the map, hang back and loot a deserted area, then storm mild players who are also avoiding the center conflict. I've yet to survive such a strategy for long, but the "huh??" reactions from enemy scavengers is always fun.

*Not in a CoD way

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Amateur player tip #1 - if someone beats you to the chest and the gun, just hit them as many times as you can to gently caress up the rest of their match!

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Space Fish posted:

have enjoyed going black ops* on the other team

Hell. Yes.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Space Fish posted:

I suck at the "clashing armies" part of 50v50 and have enjoyed going black ops* on the other team - glide near their end of the map, hang back and loot a deserted area, then storm mild players who are also avoiding the center conflict. I've yet to survive such a strategy for long, but the "huh??" reactions from enemy scavengers is always fun.

*Not in a CoD way

yeah or otherwise circling about the main conflicts and taking pot shots since the game is really bad about marking players as part of your or the enemy team in 50 v 50 unless you're blatant (like no map icons for their teammates anywhere nearby) you usually will get a few seconds or a few shots off before they realize you're on the opposite team.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The people that go all-in for 50v50 are fools. The other poster is right, it's way more fun to slink around their area doing clandestine missions to gently caress their poo poo up.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Amateur player tip #1 - if someone beats you to the chest and the gun, just hit them as many times as you can to gently caress up the rest of their match!

Well yeah I’m not just going to just stand there and die. I’ve beaten people to death a couple of times before when they got the gun because they kept missing their shots.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i got into a pickaxe war with someone directly in front of a chest once because we both knew if we tried to open it the other guy would steal the gun straightaway

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

i got into a pickaxe war with someone directly in front of a chest once because we both knew if we tried to open it the other guy would steal the gun straightaway

Fights like these where you can tell that you’re both panicking are super hilarious. I ain’t even mad half the time I die on this game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/988522651982483456
Nice.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Does that mean the hacking that plagues PUBG will seep its way into Fortnite?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

quote:

will

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Housh posted:

Maybe on China only servers?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Housh posted:

Of course!

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

You don't get anything for winning in Fortnite and unlike PUBG, you cannot earn money with it. There's no reason to cheat in Fortnite, this obviously won't stop them, hell there's plenty of 'em already I'm sure. But the majority of the cheaters in PUBG do it to make money.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

gently caress e-sports.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

gently caress e-sports.

Especially ones hosted by Chinese orgs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What is it with China and ruining esports? They hosed over the Shanghai franchise in OWL hard. I know nothing of Tencent, but I guess they're a lovely org too?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

teagone posted:

What is it with China and ruining esports? They hosed over the Shanghai franchise in OWL hard. I know nothing of Tencent, but I guess they're a lovely org too?

Tencent is Chinese EA, notorious for a swarm of pay-to-win trash freebies. Them effectively holding soft monopoly on western game entry to China does also mean that they have a lot of money and influence.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Tencent is Chinese EA

:rip:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

teagone posted:

That and they just announced a PUBG tournament where 9 out of 20 seeds are for Asian located countries. Player numbers wise it's probably the right ratio. But skill wise we all know that's not even close to true. I haven't seen a single good team from Asia in CS:GO, apart from a single 1- day fly team. I kinda doubt that's different with PUBG (or Fortnite).

E: And what Cinci posted.

In case you're curious about the ratio.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 24, 2018

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Seditiar posted:

That and they just announced a PUBG tournament where 9 out of 20 seeds are for Asian located countries. Player numbers wise it's probably the right ratio. But skill wise we all know that's not even close to true. I haven't seen a single good team from Asia in CS:GO, apart from a single 1- day fly team. I kinda doubt that's different with PUBG (or Fortnite).

E: And what Cinci posted.

In case you're curious about the ratio.

Its their tourney- who cares how they seed it

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Cheen posted:

Its their tourney- who cares how they seed it

It's almost as if I replied to someone who asked about China ruining esports. Well there you have it.

E: In China's defense, a lot of orgs do the very same thing. NA getting 25% of the world's seed spots in a tournament is a joke in basically any game. But at least it's only 25% instead of 45% :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I got the battlepass pretty late and the 50v50 is great for doing the location challenges.

Also on the cheating side, seems it would be reasonably easy for someone to run macro scripts to build things like 3 story 1x1 towers just by pressing a key.