Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...s-apk-teardown/

Looks like Android Messages will take the place of Hangouts pretty drat soon.

I am very excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Is there a good way to block calls from unknown or private numbers when they come in via wifi? Normal call blocker apps don't work for wifi calls.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Well, my Pixel 1 bricked during the 8.1 update, and the warranty expired 1.5 months ago. I'm really unsatisfied with their response to the whole situation so I'm probably moving onto a different phone and service.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Did you talk to support?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Jago posted:

Did you talk to support?

Yup, they told me the warranty was expired and I had to talk to a third party for repair.

Maybe my expectations are too high for wanting a launch device to last longer than 13 months. :v:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
It's pretty unlikely the phone is bricked from a software update. Stock Google phones are super resilient when it comes to loving them up via software. Have you tried different software recovery options like reflashing?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The repair shop said the motherboard was dead, so my Pixel is definitely out of commission. Maybe I'm using bad USB C chargers? Is that a thing?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There are knockoff cords that can cause issues. Somebody posted a spreadsheet of known good ones somewhere, I think.

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches

ETB posted:

Yup, they told me the warranty was expired and I had to talk to a third party for repair.

Maybe my expectations are too high for wanting a launch device to last longer than 13 months. :v:

If you bought it with a credit card, double check that you don't automatically have an extra year of warranty coverage as one of your credit card perks. Had a Nexus 5x that died at roughly 13 months, got 100% of the purchase price back thanks to a credit card perk.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Encor3 posted:

If you bought it with a credit card, double check that you don't automatically have an extra year of warranty coverage as one of your credit card perks. Had a Nexus 5x that died at roughly 13 months, got 100% of the purchase price back thanks to a credit card perk.

Thanks, it looks like it does. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone else using a Google Voice number on Hangouts while on a data only sim? Recently noticed that inbound calls haven't exactly been reliable and I will see voicemail/missed call notifications, but Hangouts won't ring or show any notification of an incoming call. Zero issues on outbound calls. The few occasions I get calls usually mean it's something important, so this is a pretty annoying problem.

e: update on this issue, I found a resolution... I played around with Hangouts a whole bunch (cleared data/cache, signed out etc) and what ended up working was getting on hangouts.google.com and messing with the settings. So far have found my Pixel 2 ringing consistently with the desktop version set to not ring, while the app on the phone is set to ring.

air- fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 14, 2018

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Anybody used Fi in South Korea? I've never had a problem out of the country before but I've also never been so that side of the world.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Anybody used Fi in South Korea? I've never had a problem out of the country before but I've also never been so that side of the world.

I used it in Taiwan and had a good experience, so I imagine SK would be on par if not better.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm going to Scotland for several days mid-August. I usually use a prepaid SIM from Three, should I do that again or stick with Fi there?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Chaotic Flame posted:

No problems whatsoever with Fi in SK like 2 years ago. I was only in Seoul but doubt there will be issues elsewhere.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I have traveled in Europe (continental and Iceland), Mexico, and Canada with Fi. I have never had any issues with data. There are some minor fees for calling but that's to be expected.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Cool. Thanks all. I'm not too worried since Fi has always been a seamless experience for me when I travel. I'll probably never leave it now that I'm traveling internationally more and they have the billing cap in place.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Encor3 posted:

Following up on this: my extended warranty claim through my credit card was approved. I will get a full refund on my Pixel 1. :toot:

I've moved onto Huawei Mate 10 Pro using T-Mobile, and I'm loving it so far. I've since been getting ads for $300 off Pixel 2 if I sign up for Verizon. :rolleyes:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

On my Moto x4, I use Hangouts as my SMS app. I changed the default notification sound but it's still playing the standard Hangots sound. How to fix?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

On my Moto x4, I use Hangouts as my SMS app. I changed the default notification sound but it's still playing the standard Hangots sound. How to fix?

Go to your settings in Hangouts and change the notification sound there, under SMS.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's the only place I could even find to change it. Did that initially, no joy.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Is there a way to start a Fi plan in Canada? Compared to the plans that exist here ($100/month), I'd rather figure out a way to get Fi here and pay the exchange rate instead.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MohShuvuu posted:

Is there a way to start a Fi plan in Canada? Compared to the plans that exist here ($100/month), I'd rather figure out a way to get Fi here and pay the exchange rate instead.

This guy did it but it seems involved since you have them ship the sim to a US address:
http://canadiankilometers.boardingarea.com/2017/06/30/google-project-fi-canada-review/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Has anyone here used Google Fi on their iPhone using the workaround?

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/set-up-googles-project-fi-your-iphone-0174991/

My questions are:

1) will this work on any (recent) iPhone?
2) is the international coverage just as good? Google Fi has been great for me in Europe, but am thinking about switching back to an Apple phone. Probably the SE if anything as I don't want to spend a ton

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm going to Scotland for several days mid-August. I usually use a prepaid SIM from Three, should I do that again or stick with Fi there?

I was going to ask the same thing. I travel internationally about 3 times a year and normally just spend the $30 on a Three top up which comes with either unlimited or 6gigs of data (never was able to figure that out).

Would getting a Fi sim be a better option? Getting the three top up here in the US is kinda a pain but I’ve gotten it done.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's going to depend where you go since they have to have a deal with the providers there to handle your phone's SIM card from Fi. They list 170 countries right now:
https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6157794?hl=en

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Fi support.jpg

RIP yet another 5x, 10/2016-4/2018

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
My two older kids still have working 5x's, one with a broken yet still working screen. I'm holding out on the broken screen one so that they hopefully get a better phone from Fi rather than another 5x. Let me know what they send you.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

LG is fixing the 5x for free now, but I went ahead and upgraded to an x4 and will have the 5x as a backup whenever they get it back to me.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a Nexus 5x with Fi. I've had no issues in Madrid or Barcelona with data and texting, but does anyone know why I would have no issues calling the US from Madrid but I would in Barcelona? For the latter I just got several very long beeps, which I've never heard before. I've tried several times.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I have a Nexus 5x with Fi. I've had no issues in Madrid or Barcelona with data and texting, but does anyone know why I would have no issues calling the US from Madrid but I would in Barcelona? For the latter I just got several very long beeps, which I've never heard before. I've tried several times.

Sounds like it might have something to do with the country code. It’s a us number right?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If it's location specific my first thought would be the tower you're on in Barcelona.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yes. Is there a way to check what tower I'm using?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I swear the battery life on my X4 has taken a huge hit since the March security patch. The battery used to last the whole weekend with light use, now it's down in the mid 40s by the end of the day.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

I swear the battery life on my X4 has taken a huge hit since the March security patch. The battery used to last the whole weekend with light use, now it's down in the mid 40s by the end of the day.
I figured it was just me, but mine has been running out way faster over the last month or so, too.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I swear my Pixel 2XL battery went to poo poo right after the April update. Then it suddenly was fine right as I was looking up solutions...
The only thing I did was reboot but I doubt that fixed whatever the problem was. So, possibly the update did some funky that needs to work itself out?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think the 8.1 update nuked my Pixel Xl's battery performance.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Cloks posted:

I think the 8.1 update nuked my Pixel Xl's battery performance.

Same. I'm barely making it a day now when I was able to go two sometimes with light usage.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Glad that it isn't just me that noticed a serious decrease in battery-life. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Aaaand staying the gently caress away from that update, then. Thanks for the warning.