Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I actually just got the k380 for my main desktop, no regrets yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Anyone have problems with the digital keyboard lately? Sometimes it just straight up ignores when I tap a key, and I have to press it 2-3 times to register. My iPad is only a few months old, so kind of annoying for it to just start happening.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
K380 sounds like the one! Thanks everybody.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When I’m in split screen mode and I want to replace one of the panels with another app that isn’t on my home bar, is there an easier way other than pressing the home button, opening the app, open the original split screen, and then drag the other app from recents over to the panel?

How do I do pip mode with YouTube? I can’t figure it out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can't 🙈

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

When I’m in split screen mode and I want to replace one of the panels with another app that isn’t on my home bar, is there an easier way other than pressing the home button, opening the app, open the original split screen, and then drag the other app from recents over to the panel?

Press the home button, start dragging the new app, press the original app with another finger, and the continue dragging the new app into the panel. Not much easier, but a little more streamlined.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Boris Galerkin posted:

You have to pay for “youtube red” to get PiP and background audio. It really annoys me that they hold OS features hostage like that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

eddiewalker posted:

You have to pay for “youtube red” to get PiP and background audio. It really annoys me that they hold OS features hostage like that.

I have YouTube red/Google music and my iPad doesn't PiP with YouTube. What am I missing?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

YouTube Red allows playing in the background but it still can’t do PiP.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

Lol are you serious? Wtf why would they do that?

MLB pip is awesome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Digital Jesus posted:

I found a workaround once where a YouTube video in a browser let me press a button and it became PiP. I just assume it's some Google/Apple spat that doesn't let it go in the app because loving over the user is the norm

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Boris Galerkin posted:

Request desktop site and it will give you a video player that will either work in the background but not go fullscreen or one that does and allows PiP. It’s bullshit that Apple allows them to stop background play etc

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

The worst thing about the Youtube bullshit is that all this stuff used to work fine; They’ve been actively gating standard OS functionality behind their paywall.

See also how they’ve moved the airplay controls into a deeper submenu while promoting chrome cast.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The death of Protube is the biggest travesty of this generation

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Protube was good but after it died I switched to Tubextreme and it does everything protube did and more.

If you have an iPad, get Tubextreme, it allows background playing and PiP.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Biodome posted:

Protube was good but after it died I switched to Tubextreme and it does everything protube did and more.

If you have an iPad, get Tubextreme, it allows background playing and PiP.

Thanks! I bought ivory a few days ago but it's super buggy and the ui is awful

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

E: double post

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thanks! I bought ivory a few days ago but it's super buggy and the ui is awful

Yeah, I got a real whiff of abandonware like all the others of this type.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Len posted:

I found a workaround once where a YouTube video in a browser let me press a button and it became PiP. I just assume it's some Google/Apple spat that doesn't let it go in the app because loving over the user is the norm

Yeah I don't know if it still works but I used to use this page for PiP Youtube on my iPad. I don't have my iPad on me to test it.

https://ctrlq.org/youtube/pip/

You just go to that page, paste in your YouTube link and it starts playing in the browser, then you can swap apps and it'll do the PiP thing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
32GB 5th gen (2017) iPads with Wifi only are $249 at Walmart right now. I've been holding out for minis for my three kids (with cellular) but as it's seeming like they are not going to get refreshed any time soon I may have to pull the trigger here. I imagine any iOS device in 2017 will be well supported for many years and not likely to get outdated significantly?

Anyone with kids here have any input on them using the 9.7" instead of the Mini? Any glaring things I should caution against and hold out for the mini? My boys are 6,6, and 10 so not toddlers anymore.

I have two tablet sim cards that are not being put to use on active lines so am thinking of picking up a wifi hotspot and just using that for connectivity on the go for them. Not ideal, but keeping it in the car will hit 90% of the use.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I personally don’t let my kids use electronic devices I think it harms the developing brain

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Being lame dweebs without a tablet will harm their brains!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hrmm. Two good opposing opinions.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

32GB 5th gen (2017) iPads with Wifi only are $249 at Walmart right now. I've been holding out for minis for my three kids (with cellular) but as it's seeming like they are not going to get refreshed any time soon I may have to pull the trigger here. I imagine any iOS device in 2017 will be well supported for many years and not likely to get outdated significantly?

Anyone with kids here have any input on them using the 9.7" instead of the Mini? Any glaring things I should caution against and hold out for the mini? My boys are 6,6, and 10 so not toddlers anymore.

I have two tablet sim cards that are not being put to use on active lines so am thinking of picking up a wifi hotspot and just using that for connectivity on the go for them. Not ideal, but keeping it in the car will hit 90% of the use.

Yeah that’s a pretty drat good deal and the hotspot idea is the best idea and probably cheaper? Just get them heavy duty rubber cases and you’ll be fine.

I have opinions on giving tablets to kids but I ain’t got kids so you do what you think is best for them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TraderStav posted:

The only thing you're missing out on if you're trying completely optimize here because you're buying 3 at once is that the 2017 iPad went on sale for $249 not that long after launch at Costco and such, so it's likely that the 2018 will go on sale for $249 soon as well.

If you want pencil/crayon support 2018 is a big deal.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that’s a pretty drat good deal and the hotspot idea is the best idea and probably cheaper? Just get them heavy duty rubber cases and you’ll be fine.

I have opinions on giving tablets to kids but I ain’t got kids so you do what you think is best for them.

Thanks for the input. FWIW, aside from doing learning/school work on their current tablets, they get a small amount of tech time. They aren't used as babysitters by us. Not allowed at restaurants or anything that is time that can be used socially with family and friends.

Yes, the hotspot will be cheaper (especially since I've got two tablet lines free through T-mobile) but requires management of a fourth device. Built in is very convenient!

Twerk from Home posted:

The only thing you're missing out on if you're trying completely optimize here because you're buying 3 at once is that the 2017 iPad went on sale for $249 not that long after launch at Costco and such, so it's likely that the 2018 will go on sale for $249 soon as well.

If you want pencil/crayon support 2018 is a big deal.

That would be sweet, but I'm not sure I want to play the game of guessing sales. You very well may be right but we've been struggling with random cheap Android tablets that have been frustrating. The boys are old enough now that a little investment now will be good and likely cheaper as they'll last longer.

That being said, I may grab a 2018 one for myself if they do hit $250!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

African AIDS cum posted:

I personally don’t let my kids use electronic devices I think it harms the developing brain

To be fair there's not a lot of research to indicate it harms developing brains past the first few years. NOT to say it doesn't, but the research isn't there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why do they even need WiFi “on the go?” Assuming on the go means in the car or at a restaurant.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why do they even need WiFi “on the go?” Assuming on the go means in the car or at a restaurant.

If they are like the families near where I live, the parents likely want their kids to just watch YouTube.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'll say this, parenting isn't binary. There's no absolutes. Letting a kid have a tablet isn't good or bad. Giving them wifi on the go isn't good or bad. It's the whole picture.

Not sure why this turned into a discussion on the appropriate usage of tablets with children, but it isn't that simple.

Apologies if I misinterpreted the last few messages.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I'll say this, parenting isn't binary. There's no absolutes.

Please stop this is the internet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Word of warning for anyone in the UK/Ireland. I've availed of the iPad tradeup programme, Apple do it through some third party and by god do they absolutely blow.
It's been like two weeks now and I still haven't gotten the credit. They messed up the amount, sent me the wrong quote and the instructions on where to actually send the drat thing are really vague.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy is currently matching the WalMart deal right now. 2017 iPads are $250 for 32gb and $329 for 128gb

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there any reason to hold onto my iPad 2 with AT&T Cellular? Best Buy says I can get $55 trade in for it...

I have two POS iPads (iPad 2 and Mini 1st Gen), but the only thing they are actually good at is streaming video. If You get into the app and start the stream, they are solid.

My only fear is that I'll hold onto this iPad 2 and then in a year apps like Netflix are going to demand we use iOS10 and screw me over

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I mean, your iPad is 7 years old at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix drops support at year 8 or 9.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Digital Jesus posted:

Yeah I don't know if it still works but I used to use this page for PiP Youtube on my iPad. I don't have my iPad on me to test it.

https://ctrlq.org/youtube/pip/

You just go to that page, paste in your YouTube link and it starts playing in the browser, then you can swap apps and it'll do the PiP thing.

I just tried this and it didn't work. It embeds video but you cant fullscreen it or do PIP. Bummer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm genuinely surprised Netflix is still supporting iOS 9, but I guess it's just a matter of the encryption stuff on the old app continuing to work.

You could trade in both of those iPads and get a 2017 for like $150.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Yep, he dead. You'd think that Apple would have some kind of provision for this scenario. New owner provides proof of ownership/possession, Apple checks SN/IMEI against a list of devices reported stolen or lost, and if the device isn't on that list, it is allowed to reactivate. Oh well, cest la vie.

Oh god do I wish they did. Most people are bad enough already with passwords, augment that with say, someone’s husband/wife dying, leaving no list of passwords. That’s fun to explain to the spouse or the kids that no, you can’t just unlock Mom or dads phone to get their pictures off.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The iPad Mini has a broken home button. So it’s worth like $15 on trade in sites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I'm genuinely surprised Netflix is still supporting iOS 9, but I guess it's just a matter of the encryption stuff on the old app continuing to work.

You could trade in both of those iPads and get a 2017 for like $150.

We just had someone new hire onto our team at work, and her prior job was working on a AAA-tier iOS product aimed at kids.

She mentioned that, much to her dismay, iOS 9 was still extremely popular among their active userbase. There are a ton of A5-class devices (especially the original Mini 1) in the hands of kids who received them as hand-me-down devices. Apple didn't even stop selling the Mini 1 until June of 2015, by which point its guts were 4 years old.

I imagine that for that same reason, Netflix and Amazon Video will be the last two holdouts in terms of dropping support for iOS 9.

My own kid had a Mini 1 until just before Christmas. I traded it in for a Mini 4 at Best Buy and I have zero regrets.