Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Meh. What CIG are producing doesn't instill the hope that one day, there may be a whole that works well from a technical standpoint and also contains gameplay that is engaging and fun.

I think they eventually will sort out the technical issues (unless they run out of money), but I'm just not seeing them being any good at designing fun gameplay loops with the systems they outlined and the designs that they produced up to this point.

For example, after all these years the Squadron 42 gameplay demo at CitCon 2017 was absolutely horrendous in terms of actual gameplay. It contained of a lot of walking around, generic FPS shooting, abysmal dogfights and completely, utterly uninteresting character work and dialogues.

So I'm seeing the largest deficiencies in the basic gameplay. I'm fine with delays that have technical reasons (not really "fine", but I can accept them), but in all these years that we can playtest this game, CIG haven't managed to make me have fun playing this game on the merit of fun gameplay.

I had fun fooling around with friends a couple of times, but that wasn't because the gameplay is any good - if anything, all the fun I had in this game to this day happened despite of it, not because of it. That's a huge problem for me because after all this time, I expect to see a sliver of gameplay hope that creates fun based upon well designed mechanics that also work well with each other.

To me it feels like we're about ~5 years away from an actual game. That's not good.

e: thieving raccoon tax

his nibs fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

his nibs posted:

Meh. What CIG are producing doesn't instill the hope that one day, there may be a whole that works well from a technical standpoint and also contains gameplay that is engaging and fun.

I think they eventually will sort out the technical issues (unless they run out of money), but I'm just not seeing them being any good at designing fun gameplay loops with the systems they outlined and the designs that they produced up to this point.

For example, after all these years the Squadron 42 gameplay demo at CitCon 2017 was absolutely horrendous in terms of actual gameplay. It contained of a lot of walking around, generic FPS shooting, abysmal dogfights and completely, utterly uninteresting character work and dialogues.

So I'm seeing the largest deficiencies in the basic gameplay. I'm fine with delays that have technical reasons (not really "fine", but I can accept them), but in all these years that we can playtest this game, CIG haven't managed to make me have fun playing this game on the merit of fun gameplay.

I had fun fooling around with friends a couple of times, but that wasn't because the gameplay is any good - if anything, all the fun I had in this game to this day happened despite of it, not because of it. That's a huge problem for me because after all this time, I expect to see a sliver of gameplay hope that creates fun based upon well designed mechanics that also work well with each other.

To me it feels like we're about ~5 years away from an actual game. That's not good.

e: thieving raccoon tax

O ye of little faith, repent! It is aaaaaaalphaaaaaaa

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

MedicineHut posted:

O ye of little faith, repent! It is aaaaaaalphaaaaaaa

It's an alpha with no omega
All beginning, with no end

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Master and Commanbear

More like Conmanbear.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Wonder how long until that poster gets dunked by the cultists or hit with a ban ? If good ol' RSI didn't change that should happen pretty soon

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Neltharak posted:

Wonder how long until that poster gets dunked by the cultists or hit with a ban ? If good ol' RSI didn't change that should happen pretty soon

Should be interesting. CIG might have moved on to the point where they just actively ignore negativity instead of trying to crush it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Master and Commanbear

This is good.

I know you have a job and all, but could you add the Sandworm? .... this is not a joke. tia.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Kosumo posted:

This is good.

I know you have a job and all, but could you add the Sandworm? .... this is not a joke. tia.

IcarusUpHigh fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 24, 2018

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

:five:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Fantastique

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:five:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

If hubris were Shai-Hulud...

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Lowtax posted:

Skyscraper posted:

Lowtax, let us buy different platinum icons
Yeah next week I plan on working with the coding dude to open up some other payment options and possibilities.

Lowtax trying to get in on the jpeg game.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Mr.Tophat posted:

It's an alpha with no omega
All beginning, with no end

FUD GOONIE, they haven't reached the beginning yet, they're still building the team

FUD FUD FUD FUD

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

:golfclap:

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Game development without rhythm...

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Slow_Moe posted:

Game development without rhythm...

It seems to me more like rhythm is gonna get you.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

In some ways we are looking at a different game to the one originally planned

No poo poo sherlock! Its a completely different game.

quote:

If the game had been made with 5, 10, or even 50 Million dollars, it would have probably been released by now.

Probably? Maybe... CR would have still been CR. It may just have failed earlier.

quote:

So based on this (and not including all the new tech) how long until games completion, 8, 10, 12 years?

Meh, he just doesn't understand software development, now that they have the plumbing done the poo poo will flow faster!

Still, interesting to see the most upvoted comment is a critical one. The winds of change doth bloweth or some poo poo like that.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Its more of a D&D reference. When a wizard in D&D becomes a Lich they must craft a phylactery that they house their soul in.

We've moved onto horcruxes; they're a little less single point of failure than the phylactery or the old favorite of storing it in a Roc egg.

Sorry, they, they've moved on.

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I have a job. What am I doing.

If it's like my pictures, you're avoiding debugging some crunchy python 2.

High five soon to be fired procrastinating buddy.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 24, 2018

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Mangoose posted:

FUD GOONIE, they haven't reached the beginning yet, they're still building the team

FUD FUD FUD FUD

I imagine this being said by your avatar and I am glad of it

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:five::five::five:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Every word of that tweet is progressively more depressing.

Future...
Mission...
Giver...
Animations...

After they're done working on future mission giver animations, they can work on the existence of future mission givers. Then when that's done, they can work on the future missions. When future missions are done, they will exist in the present. Once the missions are in the present, all CIG has to do is build a game to do the missions in.

Star Citizen is basically finished at this point.

Edit: by the way, anyone wondering how CIG got to 400 employees or whatever, this tweet is the answer. There are shitloads of jobs in a proper AAA studio, so it stands to reason that Chris Roberts would attempt to emulate them all without understanding a single thing about what they are or why they're necessary. Hence someone animating a mission giver (but wait I thought this was all motion captured?!?) and getting a special tweet about it. Remember this fact (Chris certainly has): Call of Duty took 500 people to make. You can bet Chris's goal is to take 501 people to fail at making Star Citizen.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 24, 2018

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Extremely normal voice, etc etc

It's had whatever the opposite of an inspirational message is.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Hav posted:

It's had whatever the opposite of an inspirational message is.

Star Citizer: It's Like Talking to a Retarded

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Someone’s in loooooooooove.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Lladre posted:

Clifford is making it hard for me to keep feeling bad for him.

I’ve transitioned to feeling bad for his wife. I imagine she must die inside just a little bit more every time she sees herself mentioned in one of his posts.

Twist ending: She’s a pillow!

The pillow is still dying inside.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Haven't followed this trainwreck since 2015, who's clifford ? :allears:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I’ve transitioned to feeling bad for his wife. I imagine she must die inside just a little bit more every time she sees herself mentioned in one of his posts.

She's probably the weeaboo, and Clifford's just going along with it.

Neltharak posted:

Short answer is 'an influencer'. The longer answer involves; You know Dr Kreiger from Archer....?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hav posted:

She's probably the weeaboo, and Clifford's just going along with it.

Short answer is 'an influencer'. The longer answer involves; You know Dr Kreiger from Archer....?

Yes. The grown man with a photoshop of him as a anime character is just going along with it....

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blue On Blue posted:

Yes. The grown man with a photoshop of him as a anime character is just going along with it....

Hatsune Miku is not 'an anime character'.

This is also not anime, but I know that I'm literally playing with fire;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNrdGx69pCo

Yes, he's into a Vocaloid. It's somehow worse.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mods????

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

Mods????

THEY HAVE TO CATCH ME FIRST! :justpost:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

"Steal Elite's pilot suit but make the bulge bigger"

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Hav posted:

censored

My god, Hav... what have you done?

:rip:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wait they have a real human band that goes around playing with that bodypillow?

Holy gently caress, and here I thought the most embarrassing job in the world was "being Ben Lesnick"

Also, I really haven't had enough coffee to deal with an in-depth debate over whether the blue-haired monstrosity in that video is or is not anime right now

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Neltharak posted:

A dude with money to spend on overpriced everything. And he must share and promote everything he buys on twitter for validation. And yes, he self identifys with that Miku thing and posts about how he bought CIG pizza as well.

Also, he is proud to be like 70k deep in Star Citizen.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mangoose posted:

My god, Hav... what have you done?

:rip:

Not posted anime, that's what I've done.

Beet Wagon posted:

There's always more and it's always worse.

Natural outgrowth of the Idoru was to attach a mocap frisket to a performer and have them do the actions while the vocaloid (natural language synthesis) does the 'singing'. It's the collision between anime and idoru to provide a frankly bewildering intersection. That is not anime.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Holy gently caress, and here I thought the most embarrassing job in the world was "being Ben Lesnick"

Also, I really haven't had enough coffee to deal with an in-depth debate over whether the blue-haired monstrosity in that video is or is not anime right now

When you are a struggling musician the decision to play with an anime is easy if there are enough zeros involved. 2 may be enough if you are struggling real hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

speaking of broken poo poo games and hot dogs, people are streaming the test of big new patch for DayZ and it is hilarious.