Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SwissCM posted:

Piracy made the games more convenient and fun to play, games loaded significantly faster off Memory Sticks and custom firmwares usually offered things like overclocking options.
It's custom firmware that did that, not "piracy". Once you had a CFW-modded PSP it was trivial to dump your UMD game collection to memory stick with all the benefits associated with it. There was no inherent advantage to pirating games (other than not having to pay for them).

I mean, sure, with a CFW-modded PSP you could also pirate games if you wanted, but the feature benefits incentivised console modding even for those who didn't pirate games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's custom firmware that did that, not "piracy". Once you had a CFW-modded PSP it was trivial to dump your UMD game collection to memory stick with all the benefits associated with it. There was no inherent advantage to pirating games (other than not having to pay for them).

I mean, sure, with a CFW-modded PSP you could also pirate games if you wanted, but the feature benefits incentivised console modding even for those who didn't pirate games.

Pedantic

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Actually you got considerably better battery life from a CFW-modded PSP in the early days when there were no digital games, because you could play games without having to power a motor to spin the disc. So piracy did have that advantage.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

You've misunderstood, I'm not saying the Switch is dead, only laughing at it getting cracked this soon. It has to be a record, right?
Sort of. The PSP (which was similar to the Switch in that it was a powerful portable) had homebrew on the Japanese launch version and quickly saw a number of exploits for other models. The hardware wasn't totally cracked for a couple of years though.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Super strange of them to go with the Tegra since this apparently is has been a known exploit for a while.
No, the Tegra X1 didn't have known boot ROM vulnerabilities at the time of the Switch launch. It was the interest and popularity of the system that resulted in hardware hackers taking a look at the Tegra X1 platform and discovering it suffered from a known-class of vulnerabilities (incorrect handling of USB commands).

Nintendo, maybe, should've recruited some white-hat hardware hackers to bash on prototype Switch hardware prior to its release though. I'm sure they have an internal team that does this work, but they're probably just not the same level of talent.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

univbee posted:

Actually you got considerably better battery life from a CFW-modded PSP in the early days when there were no digital games, because you could play games without having to power a motor to spin the disc. So piracy did have that advantage.
My point is that you didn't have to pirate the games to get that advantage, you just had to dump the ones you already owned. Doing so took like two button presses.

Contrast that to copy-protected PC games where pirated (cracked) versions have legitimate advantages you simply can't get without cracking the games themselves.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No, the Tegra X1 didn't have known boot ROM vulnerabilities at the time of the Switch launch. It was the interest and popularity of the system that resulted in hardware hackers taking a look at the Tegra X1 platform and discovering it suffered from a known-class of vulnerabilities (incorrect handling of USB commands).

Nintendo, maybe, should've recruited some white-hat hardware hackers to bash on prototype Switch hardware prior to its release though. I'm sure they have an internal team that does this work, but they're probably just not the same level of talent.

Ahh, interesting, I thought it was known prior. Didn't Nintendo have bounties on some bug and cracking website for such a thing on the 3DS? I wonder why they didn't extend that to the Switch. Though maybe they did, I didn't keep up with that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

Didn't Nintendo have bounties on some bug and cracking website for such a thing on the 3DS? I wonder why they didn't extend that to the Switch.
They may have, but it doesn't matter. The problem with this kind of vulnerability is that it has to be found in prototype hardware so that it can be patched before units start shipping (or shipped units recalled). Relying on users to find problems in already-shipped hardware means that those units will remain forever vulnerable.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've seen people say this cna be done with a paperclip...anyone have any idea?

Also lol @ the crybabies in the switch thread. :qq: They hacked my precious nintendo :qq:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

It looks like from a hardware standpoint it mainly comes down to bridging two exposed pins in the right joy-con rail. So yes, this would work, but maybe be slightly less ideal just from the standpoint of rigidity of paper clips possibly making it difficult to bend so it'll hold the way you need it to reliably.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Maybe, but I'd be wary of jamming random poo poo into the Joycon connector in case it damages the contacts. Those pins are quite small.

I'm sure the market will be flooded with $2 pin shorting tools soon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m honestly more mad at Nintendo here than anything.

Home brewers are going to fill in the gaps in their services and if they had just offered the stuff people want (and other companies offer by default) the drive wouldn’t be there for a lot of people, myself included.

I personally am not interested in pirating Switch games, but backing up saves? Yeah I’d like to back up my 200+ hour botw save before I send my switch in to be repaired for it’s loose screen.

Virtual console? I know everyone in this thread says “you have a million other devices that can play roms”, but if I’m leaving the house with games in tow, i only have my iPhone and my switch. Neither of which can play super mario world today.

Nintendo, stop driving people straight to home brew because you can’t/won’t deliver. If I could back up my saves and play retro games on the Switch I wouldn’t be paying attention to any of this

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I really dont know how good a plethora of emulators would be for switch with its weird controllers and nonexistent battery life but it would probably actually be pulled out of the drawer more than once a month if it had that stuff.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For emulation the joy-cons are of limited use since you really want a proper array of buttons and a D-Pad for those. Which means an external bluetooth controller, at which point you might as well get an $80 Android tablet if that's the form factor you want. Putting emulators on a 2DS/3DS makes more sense, relatively.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

univbee posted:

For emulation the joy-cons are of limited use since you really want a proper array of buttons and a D-Pad for those. Which means an external bluetooth controller, at which point you might as well get an $80 Android tablet if that's the form factor you want. Putting emulators on a 2DS/3DS makes more sense, relatively.

The joycons are fine for anything I want to play

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Andrast posted:

The joycons are fine for anything I want to play

Good for you but games designed for D-Pads aren't always ideal with analog sticks, and the shoulder buttons aren't great if you need a lot of access to them like in a 6-button fighting game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

s.i.r.e. posted:

Ahh, interesting, I thought it was known prior. Didn't Nintendo have bounties on some bug and cracking website for such a thing on the 3DS? I wonder why they didn't extend that to the Switch. Though maybe they did, I didn't keep up with that.

To further elaborate, they did and they applied those fixes to their custom Switch OS, which is similar to the 3DS OS. By all accounts, the post-1.0.0 software has been reasonably secure, except a massive oopsie they opened up on 3.0.0 specifically.

But turns out Tegras are troubled. As are our Intel/AMD CPUs (to a lesser extent). Technology is tricky, and nerds are smart.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

univbee posted:

Good for you but games designed for D-Pads aren't always ideal with analog sticks, and the shoulder buttons aren't great if you need a lot of access to them like in a 6-button fighting game.

They have kits that replace the D-Buttons with a proper D-Pad on the left Joycon so you'd be good for really anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I personally am not interested in pirating Switch games, but backing up saves? Yeah I’d like to back up my 200+ hour botw save before I send my switch in to be repaired for it’s loose screen.

I don't know if you're the same person from the switch thread, but if they are replacing your screen, you aren't going to lose your saves. They aren't just going to delete all the data on your Switch. If they were replacing the whole tablet, they might forget to transfer the save data, but the loose screen thing is a repair, not a replacement.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if you're the same person from the switch thread, but if they are replacing your screen, you aren't going to lose your saves. They aren't just going to delete all the data on your Switch. If they were replacing the whole tablet, they might forget to transfer the save data, but the loose screen thing is a repair, not a replacement.

There was already one horror story about someone sending in for a screen repair and getting back a “oops we wiped your saves, sucks but we warned you it might happen” and their sending-in page does have that warning on it unless they changed it recently

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s still there and yeah I’m that guy.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

420 SWAGLORD posted:

I am way more excited by a dope dockable emulation tablet than I am about free switch games. Imagine a switch running retropi+kodi, that is so much cooler than playing friggin splatoon for free

:yeah:

s.i.r.e. posted:

They have kits that replace the D-Buttons with a proper D-Pad on the left Joycon so you'd be good for really anything.

What I'd really like is a Joy-Con that either replaces the analog stick with a D-pad, or switches the position of the analog stick and the buttons and replaces the buttons with a D-pad.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Also lol @ the crybabies in the switch thread. :qq: They hacked my precious nintendo :qq:

This is what I made from a paperclip and it fits the joycon rail perfectly and works consistently. It did take a while to make though.

You might be able to use something smaller like a staple instead.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Flagrama posted:

This is what I made from a paperclip and it fits the joycon rail perfectly and works consistently. It did take a while to make though.

You might be able to use something smaller like a staple instead.

Out of curiosity, is there anyway that this could potentially fry a Switch if you jumpered poo poo wrong?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyway that this could potentially fry a Switch if you jumpered poo poo wrong?

I'd be surprised, it's unlikely connectors which are exposed like that would create an issue if bridged without a resistor given how much could easily go wrong there, especially with little kids.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Depends on what voltage/current they send through it to charge the joycons.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

univbee posted:

I'd be surprised, it's unlikely connectors which are exposed like that would create an issue if bridged without a resistor given how much could easily go wrong there, especially with little kids.
Since Switches are, allegedly, getting bricked by third-party docks I wouldn't make too many assumptions about the fail-safe mechanisms of external connectors. I also wouldn't risk a BoTW save file to find out.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I totally forgot I even had a Wii and thanks to this thread I dug it out and discovered homebrew, and holy poo poo thank you everyone, I am in total heaven right now. I had zero clue all this was possible.
I found an old 20 inch LCD TV I have that is not HD or widescreen and playing SNES / Mega Drive / Master System games is pretty much perfect, even the slightly dodgy picture quality is there. It's honestly everything young me would have wanted and I am just delighted :)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I totally forgot I even had a Wii and thanks to this thread I dug it out and discovered homebrew, and holy poo poo thank you everyone, I am in total heaven right now. I had zero clue all this was possible.
I found an old 20 inch LCD TV I have that is not HD or widescreen and playing SNES / Mega Drive / Master System games is pretty much perfect, even the slightly dodgy picture quality is there. It's honestly everything young me would have wanted and I am just delighted :)

OG Wii’s on a 4:3 CRT are loving awesome for old games

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

univbee posted:

OG Wii’s on a 4:3 CRT are loving awesome for old games

It really is, and I can get the Gamecube pads I think? Man, it all just seems to work together so well, I had a Retron 5 but the HD out was just not doing it for me, this however has just enough of a janky analogue vibe about it to be perfect

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Modded Wii is a godlike console

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah you can use Gamecube controllers, plus you can use Nintendont to play GC backups with a virtual memory card too

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah you can use Gamecube controllers, plus you can use Nintendont to play GC backups with a virtual memory card too

Sweet!
I'm interested mainly in the 8 / 16 bit stuff and a bit of MAME, I'll try and track down some GC pads this week :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

Sweet!
I'm interested mainly in the 8 / 16 bit stuff and a bit of MAME, I'll try and track down some GC pads this week :)

Even if that's all you're interested it's an excellent emulation machine, plus it can output 240p

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Why did other consoles refuse to output 240p? Like why not just have the option?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have no idea what this LCD supports, but it looks legit

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Wii is, no joke, probably the best home brew console still to this day.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Wii is, no joke, probably the best home brew console still to this day.

The only thing that beats it is hacked vWii on a Wii U.:smug:

Although you lose the ability to output to 240p on Wii U so that’s one downside.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Modded Wii U is a godlike console

Being able to play everything the Wii can plus overclocking PSX and N64 emulators, and on the gamepad is amazing

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Yeah, a hacked WiiU is like, the king of modded consoles. Only reason why I have my regular Wii around is because the gamecube controller adapter doesn't work for GBAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

420 SWAGLORD posted:

I think we would be friends irl. Hack the planet, amirite?

I have "hack the planet" written on the side of my Wii.