Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Frond posted:

They are nice looking. "More rare than a Nissan Skyline" - a lot of things are, chief.

Probably just put that in there to grab the people looking for Skylines, honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I can't imagine people looking for 'rare' are going to settle for a triple rotary JDM that runs on the shattered dreams of the people that lost everything in the bubble economy that birthed the Cosmo. Or maybe not what the heck do I know?

Point is, of course your wife will understand, just tell her it's rarer than a Skyline :v:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Meydey posted:

Holy poo poo this is like 30 minutes from my house. Wonder how hard it would be to convince the wife I need a rhd car.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/1991-eunos-cosmo-rhd/6568314921.html

Sadly it's only the 13B-RE, but still capable of 500HP. :)

*Edit- Considering there were less than 5000 produced and I've seen at least 1000 engine cores here in the US, it probably is rarer then a Skyline. Doubt there's more then a few thousand running examples left.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

When I was in my teens I remember I read something about that gen of Cosmo in Car and Driver and it had a picture of the interior, but dashboard specifically. It blew my mind.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ionn posted:

While it is certainly a nice-to-have item, it doesn't really need it since it has a freewheel.

...huh? What's a freewheel?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

When I was in my teens I remember I read something about that gen of Cosmo in Car and Driver and it had a picture of the interior, but dashboard specifically. It blew my mind.

It was so good, Lincoln shamelessly stole it for the Mark VIII

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Powershift posted:

That got me looking at Mark VIIIs, the collector's edition came with silver ingots!

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...odelCode1=MARK8

also now I want a Mark VIII

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Powershift posted:

Oh god I'm becoming nostalgic for chunky plastic "melted bar of soap" buttons and switches with Arial Medium typeface labels.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oh god I'm becoming nostalgic for chunky plastic "melted bar of soap" buttons and switches with Arial Medium typeface labels.

I'd rather have that than gesture control / voice control / everything buried miles deep in touchscreen options

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I attempted to explain to my wife how cool a 26 yr old, JDM, rhd, limited edition rotary car with unobtanium parts would be. It did not end well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Meydey posted:

I attempted to explain to my wife how cool a 26 yr old, JDM, rhd, limited edition rotary car with unobtanium parts would be. It did not end well.

Well, on the up side, it should be easier to find a new one after you buy the car.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Powershift posted:

Well, on the up side, it should be easier to find a new one after you buy the car.

This year is 25 years with her. Might as well buy the car and just hand it to her, she would get everything anyways.

This one touches me in all the no-no places also:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/1988-mazda-rx-7-convertable/6523298220.html

Meydey fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 24, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-scion-tc-manual-68k/6560384250.html

"Panaramaic subroof"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Meydey posted:

This year is 25 years with her. Might as well buy the car and just hand it to her, she would get everything anyways.

After 25 years you can import a new one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

Doesn't look nearly as good as the Mazda :colbert:
Might need to check that for water damage

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Meydey posted:

This one touches me in all the no-no places also:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/1988-mazda-rx-7-convertable/6523298220.html

You need to work out a deal where if you get her a nice car that she wants, you get to buy whatever car you want, whether she hates it or not.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Meydey posted:

At 25 years you are way beyond doing the "easier to ask for forgiveness then permission" routine.

Anyways, congrats on 25. It ain't easy.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You need to work out a deal where if you get her a nice car that she wants, you get to buy whatever car you want, whether she hates it or not.

She would be fine with 1 car. Of course it has to be a boring auto that she can drive. She gets our 08 Altima when I get my BRZ/Civic SI this fall.

Colostomy Bag posted:

At 25 years you are way beyond doing the "easier to ask for forgiveness then permission" routine.

Anyways, congrats on 25. It ain't easy.

Thanks. I definitely mostly know what stupid poo poo not to do by now. I still find something stupid to do every once in awhile though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Meydey posted:

Thanks. I definitely mostly know what stupid poo poo not to do by now. I still find something stupid to do every once in awhile though.

I’m pretty good at foot in mouth, myself, even after 20 years of marriage, plus 5 years of cohabitation before that.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
hell yeah the Swap Meet Shorty

https://rockford.craigslist.org/cto/d/1977-chevy-shorty-van/6552121695.html

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This one popped on my mr2 filter.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/toyota-mr2/6558372926.html

Just hack the roof off, also, what’s a roll bar?

i know this is late, but in addition to the obvious safety issues and all the ways this would gently caress up the handling, i gotta say that the aw11 looks like fuckin poo poo as a convertible. some cars have lines that just don't work at all in any way without a roof and this sure as poo poo is one of 'em.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GOD drat IT I NEED TO BE WORKING

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1988-mazda-b2200-pickup-5/6561112699.html

One of my c&c buds works at this lot, I could get this truck for $1600 out the door. I drove it this afternoon, no smoke, idles well. Shockingly good shape for 222K on the clock, just a kind of dirty interior.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I need that truck.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1988-mazda-b2200-pickup-5/6561112699.html

One of my c&c buds works at this lot, I could get this truck for $1600 out the door. I drove it this afternoon, no smoke, idles well. Shockingly good shape for 222K on the clock, just a kind of dirty interior.

That's an easy choice...do it. Get rid of the bench seat though. There are a lot of previous owner farts in that thing.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Rhyno posted:

Buy it and I'll send you the digital tuner version of that stereo as well as the cassette deck, they're modular! I just need to find the RX-7 variant with the separate equalizer, those were pretty rare with the amber font coloring.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I won't have a paycheck for like 2 more weeks so it's a no go unless it's there then.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Is any modern car with over 200k really worth more than $1000?

Might belong in stupid questions, but I'm genuinely curious. At over 200k, aren't you just waiting for the engine to blow out?; assuming the trans has already been replaced at mileage that high.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Any modern car can probably make 300k and quite a few will go well past that, if properly maintained. Many that do not make 300k will need a rebuild but not total new engine replacement. And, any pickup truck that is in running condition is worth over $1000, period. One that does not immediately need major work is worth more, and $1600 is a great price for that truck if it does not instantly need a new transmission or something.

e. a diesel engine can often do double that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DJ Commie posted:

Buy it and I'll send you the digital tuner version of that stereo as well as the cassette deck, they're modular! I just need to find the RX-7 variant with the separate equalizer, those were pretty rare with the amber font coloring.

What year do you need? I'm pretty sure the '84 GSL-SE I have has the factory EQ sound system in it. The one I sold a couple of months ago definitely did. That one worked, except the cassette mech needed belts. Not sure on the one I have. For that matter, I think the '84 GSL I have also has its original stereo w/ EQ.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Man I loving dig that.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Meydey posted:

That's an easy choice...do it. Get rid of the bench seat though. There are a lot of previous owner farts in that thing.

If that was not so far away I'd have it. It'd be my track car tow vehicle.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dennis McClaren posted:

Is any modern car with over 200k really worth more than $1000?

Might belong in stupid questions, but I'm genuinely curious. At over 200k, aren't you just waiting for the engine to blow out?; assuming the trans has already been replaced at mileage that high.

Engines and transmissions don’t magically explode at 200k miles, and $1k is a laughably low price for a car in 2018. My one forester xt has 214k miles and is running perfectly on its original engine and trans, and the other has 190k and also runs perfectly while making almost 300awhp on an upgraded factory motor with 40k miles but original transmission. Both are worth many thousands of dollars, as is basically any Subaru (for example) with any number of miles. You’d be extremely lucky to find a car of any type where I live for $1k that is inspected and drivable regardless of miles. A grand basically gets you a basket case or a pile of parts.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 27, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pretty much any drivable car here is a $1000 car, and it goes north from there.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Custom Off-Road smart car - $10000 (Selma)

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/d/custom-off-road-smart-car/6569691469.html

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Darchangel posted:

What year do you need? I'm pretty sure the '84 GSL-SE I have has the factory EQ sound system in it. The one I sold a couple of months ago definitely did. That one worked, except the cassette mech needed belts. Not sure on the one I have. For that matter, I think the '84 GSL I have also has its original stereo w/ EQ.

It might be a FC stereo, but it looks like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Would

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CornHolio posted:

Man I loving dig that.

Best looking small pickup ever built. I put a stupidly rare and valuable comic book up for sale today for less than market value, enough to buy the truck. We'll see what the weekend brings.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Best looking small pickup ever built. I put a stupidly rare and valuable comic book up for sale today for less than market value, enough to buy the truck. We'll see what the weekend brings.

Kinda scummy that they don't mention the mileage at all in the CL posting tho. That's basically the first thing I look at in postings after the price.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

Not worth $10k but those look like a lot of fun to screw around in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt9mAqi8vYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DiggityDoink posted:

Kinda scummy that they don't mention the mileage at all in the CL posting tho. That's basically the first thing I look at in postings after the price.

Dealers gonna deal. But I agree.