Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Just curious, has anyone come up with a good list using the Kimoglia? It just doesn't seem like it does anything particularly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I’ve had variable success flying it with a harpoon/bomblet/munitions Nym and a Expertise Jostero. It’s an okay Harpoon carrier. But no more than okay. It’s easily outflown and melted, making the reload action not that useful. And considering its point cost is paying for that, a bullseye arc (which I’ve triggered twice all 8-ish times I’ve flown it) and a pilot ability that’s useless when you don’t trigger the bullseye arc, I find it hard to justify its inclusion in any list.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Funzo posted:

Just curious, has anyone come up with a good list using the Kimoglia? It just doesn't seem like it does anything particularly well.

NYM/Jostero/Torani owns bones. Key for Torani or any Kimo is knowing when to duck out for a reload. Kimo’s are not turn fighters zoom boom then zoom out again. The best I have gotten was 4 missile launches. People will always go for Nym or Jostero first, use that to your advantage.

The few times you get bullseye arc on a tokened up ace with Torani are good times.

Raged fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 18, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Four Kimos with long range scanners plus sunny bounder with light syck is surprisingly solid. It’s a better BBBBZ

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Had a great (read stupid) idea for epic. 4 resistance bombers with trajectory simulator, proton bombs and bomb racks.

Two rounds is enoguh to kill most epic ships.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

Nora is also a mom. She's "Snap" Wexley's mother. It's kind of fun making thematic Mom-and-Son lists with an Arc and a T-70

"Moms Are Tough"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Had a great (read stupid) idea for epic. 4 resistance bombers with trajectory simulator, proton bombs and bomb racks.

Needs more Sabine

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jesus, Is This A Joke?
300/300 (0/5 Epic Points)

Crimson Squadron Pilot (25)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
Ordnance Silos (2)
Proton Bombs (5)
Advanced Optics (2)
Deflective Plating (1)
Crossfire Formation (2)

Trajectory Simulator (1)
Ordnance Silos (2)
Proton Bombs (5)
Advanced Optics (2)
Deflective Plating (1)
Crossfire Formation (2)

Trajectory Simulator (1)
Ordnance Silos (2)
Proton Bombs (5)
Advanced Optics (2)
Deflective Plating (1)
Crossfire Formation (2)

Trajectory Simulator (1)
Ordnance Silos (2)
Proton Bombs (5)
Advanced Optics (2)
Deflective Plating (1)
Crossfire Formation (2)

Trajectory Simulator (1)
Ordnance Silos (2)
Proton Bombs (5)
Advanced Optics (2)
Deflective Plating (1)
Crossfire Formation (2)

Trajectory Simulator (1)
Ordnance Silos (2)
Proton Bombs (5)
Advanced Optics (2)
Deflective Plating (1)
Crossfire Formation (2)

Lothal Rebel (35)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

Lothal Rebel (35)
Wookiee Commandos (1)

Total: 300

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Thankfully now illegal in tournament play!!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Man, I haven't played X-wing in months. I just got sick of losing all the time since I suck.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

hoiyes posted:

Thankfully now illegal in tournament play!!

Ugh, what are the changes that made it illegal? Did they reduce the number of identical large-base ships from 6 to 4? Could replace two of the Resistance Bombers with Lothal Rebels, and it'll still fit.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Cobbsprite posted:

Ugh, what are the changes that made it illegal? Did they reduce the number of identical large-base ships from 6 to 4? Could replace two of the Resistance Bombers with Lothal Rebels, and it'll still fit.

"Each player must build one squad to use in an event. A squad cannot exceed 300 points, though it may contain fewer than 300 points. In addition, a player must include a number of huge ships worth between 2–5 epic points in their squad. These huge ships count toward the 300-point total of their squad. A player cannot include more than eight small ships of a single type and four large ships of a single type. For example, if a player includes “Backstabber”, “Howlrunner”, and 6 Academy Pilots, they cannot include any more TIEfighters. However, they may include up to eight TIE/fo fighters as well. A player cannot include more than four copies of any secondary weapon or Elite Pilot Talent upgrade with the same name."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
What would be good to round out these puppies? Part of me wants to throw a second Harpoon Missile on to each Alpha, but I'm not sure how that would play out IRL. I'm also not married to the First Order Vanguard title.
Rho Squadron Veteran (21)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (2)

Harpoon Missiles (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (2)

Test Pilot "Blackout" (31)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
First Order Vanguard (2)

Total: 92

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Move up to Kylo

Or prockets for the boats.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

What would be good to round out these puppies? Part of me wants to throw a second Harpoon Missile on to each Alpha, but I'm not sure how that would play out IRL. I'm also not married to the First Order Vanguard title.
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (2)

Harpoon Missiles (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (2)

Test Pilot "Blackout" (31)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
First Order Vanguard (2)

Total: 92

Toss some Advanced Sensors on Blackout, along with either Primed Thrusters or Advanced Optics. He'll be annoyingly hard to pin down, and with an boost and barrel roll pre-move Blackout can land pretty much wherever you want.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Sadly, I don't have prockets or advanced sensors. I thought about putting either predator or saturation salvo on the two star wings, advanced optics and/or sensor jammer on the silencer.

I do have cruise missiles, one each of concussion and assault missiles, or proton torps.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Sadly, I don't have prockets or advanced sensors. I thought about putting either predator or saturation salvo on the two star wings, advanced optics and/or sensor jammer on the silencer.

I do have cruise missiles, one each of concussion and assault missiles, or proton torps.

I've wondered about the Sensor Jammer on Blackout before. Sounds like it could have a place, especially if you've got the 2 gunboats to make someone want to hold on to their focus for offense (of if you're facing a fair number of wookie gunships and they do nothing but reinforce :v: )

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

I've wondered about the Sensor Jammer on Blackout before. Sounds like it could have a place, especially if you've got the 2 gunboats to make someone want to hold on to their focus for offense (of if you're facing a fair number of wookie gunships and they do nothing but reinforce :v: )

Just think of sensor jammer as a permanent evade token. Kind of. I flew against a guy flying Assaj and Boba Fett the other day, who was rerolling dice left, right and center; sensor jammer would have been useful there. On the other hand, sensor jammer doesn't help so much against, say, a silencer, who's probably going to have a focus token handy.

I guess with the star wings, what I'm really asking is 'should I have more than one ordnance option, so I can go TL, shoot, TL, shoot, reload, or just TL, shoot, reload, TL, shoot, reload?'

I'm used to flying Interceptors, Silencers, and TIE/fos, so I'm used to lots of weaving, arc dodging, and converging tactics. I think with a silencer and two gun boats, I need to shift my mind-set to keeping at range and harrying? Especially with LRS; target lock, move in, shoot, move/SLAM away, reload, acquire new target lock, move back in, maybe?

See how I commit the cardinal sin of buying Alphas today, and flying in a local tournament with them on Sunday.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The real problem with Sensor Jammer is the prevalence of Expertise and Glitterstim, which completely obviate it, and the commonplaceness of focus tokens. If you can counter those (with stress imposition, hotshot, fenn's ability, multiple sensor jammers), you can reduce some fo those penalties, but they're expensive.

Also, don't use it too automatically, it can actually be a penalty against RAC or A Score to Settle/Debt to Pay.

The other trouble is that it's not FCS. If you don't have rerolls and focus on attack, you want to get rerolls and focus on attack more than you want to get forcing your opponent to spend the focus token he was probably spending anyway.

In short, there's a reason it's only been a major player in a single list since its release, and that list has all 3 of stress imposition, token blocking, and hotshot copilot. It's only missing multiple Jammers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IronSaber posted:

Man, I haven't played X-wing in months. I just got sick of losing all the time since I suck.

I know the feel. I've made a bunch of my favorite ships dashboard ornaments as a result since if they're going to always melt, they might as well do it in my car where it's safe.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I haven't played in forever and I'm starting to think about selling my collection.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm probably never going to sell my ships, it's not a terrible burden for me to keep them and I've put so much effort into sorting the pilot cards, upgrades and tokens. There's no way I'd get much for it all since the resale value is like what, less than half the price?

Not having played in a while doesn't mean I don't still enjoy staying up to date on the current metas, tournament results, new releases etc. So getting rid of my current collection isn't very appealing to me right now.

And I'm still down for casual games. I've just been too busy to get down to my FLGS for a dog fight or two.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'm the same but probably due to a lack of excitement as nothing really interesting is coming up imo. The new xwings will be fun, maybe even competitive?

I think one issue is that the more items that are released, the greater inertia the meta has, making subsequent releases less and less able to create fresh experiences.

If I stop playing entirely at some point, I'll probably just print out the Arturi Cluster stuff, put it all in a cupboard and wait for my kids to grow up.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
This lull is great because it means I get to play whatever without the pressure of playing new poo poo and feel more likely to try poo poo that not tryhard meta stuff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Ultra Carp
This lull is terrible because I want my new X-Wings dammit! :argh:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The lulls between waves are my favorite time because I don't feel like I'm chasing the latest/greatest with every game. I can go explore all the second-tier ships and pilots and upgrades.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This long lull is good. This is what x-wing was like in the early years, before 2016-2017 accelerated the releases to a ridiculous degree. I wish they'd go down to 2 waves a year, max.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I do wish they would just go ahead and release a new FAQ because I feel that is needed, but otherwise I like screwing around with ships that haven;t seen much love or use and I like it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Honestly, three revived my flagging x-wing spirits and got me playing again.

First: My girlfriend. I taught her hwo to play and she got super into it, and goes with me, or without me, to game nights and tournaments and poo poo, and has been buying her own collection of ships, and is having a blast.

Second: HOTAC and HOTAC varients. Right now, we're running basically a scum RPG campaign, which is going super well and super fun. I get to RP my inner-Hondo as the groups con-artist/negotiator (For instance, we managed to convince the rebels to pay us for stealing their ship and then giving it back to them, while also blaming the black sun for the theft in the first place).

Third: My local scene is tired of the Meta too as a whole, and often structures events around non-metalists, and the local league does so too, opening up new options, and new things to try.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Honestly, three revived my flagging x-wing spirits and got me playing again.

I just started playing Armada :v:

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Since I live down the road from FFG I'm going to the Hyperspace thing they're doing next week to show of updates and new Star Wars products. One of the FFG guys posted on the local Xwing Facebook group that they're going to give out Xwing goodies. Does this mean Xwing will be in any part of the presentation? I have no guesses.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm sure they will give more info on the Reaper and Saw's U-Wing and poo poo, but I'm not holding out for new ships.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Ultra Carp

enigmahfc posted:

I'm sure they will give more info on the Reaper and Saw's U-Wing and poo poo, but I'm not holding out for new ships.

My guess is an announcement of a New Young Han Scum Falcon, but we'll see.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

They're going to announce X-Wing 2.0, with associated big-box cardboard/card-only upgrade packs (probably in the $50 per faction range), to be released this summer with early packs available at GenCon in June.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty new, but are there that many glaring issues the long-timers are wanting a 2.0 to fix?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

No, no, they're going to announce the N-1 starfighter, obviously.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Huxley posted:

I'm pretty new, but are there that many glaring issues the long-timers are wanting a 2.0 to fix?

Yes.

The game has a limited design space and has been bursting at the seams for a while. Even I, the person who is usually the most optimistic about the state of the game in any given conversation, acknowledge that there is a need for an overhaul of fundamental foundations of the game itself that cannot be fixed by putting in a new upgrade card.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

These are the main issues that can't be fully addressed without huge, fundamental change to the core game. You can patch some of them, here and there, but those are band-aid solutions at best.

- The design space of the game is limited. There are only so many combinations you can place on the core values of a ship: attack dice, agility dice, health values, dial, and there are only so many ways to modify those items.

- We've hit a point where perfect passive (aka no action required) modification of every roll is possible with the right combination of upgrades, which all but invalidates action denial as a strategy.

- Turrets, as they exist today, invalidate the fundamental dogfighting aspect of the game as there's no need to point your ship in any given direction.

- Infinite regen effects allow tournaments to be dominated by lists that fortress upwards of half their points in one ship that simply cannot die in any standard one-on-one scenario

- The design paradigms that control the expected time-to-survive of a ship vs the acceptable damage output of a ship have changed. Many ships simply cannot make a meaningful contribution. They either die too fast (B-Wings, TIE Interceptors) or can't hurt anything (TIE Fighters, A-Wings).

- The FAQ has grown to an unwieldy size, mostly due to the lack of standardized wording for similar effects, but at least some can be attributed to the designers pushing through the limited design space to find new places to do things.

- The number of card combinations has increased to the point that testing is difficult, and unexpected combinations seem to lead to at least one "broken" list with every new release.

- This is a minor issue, but the point values used to build a list are fairly restrictive. 100 points in 1-point increments mean there are a bunch of cards out there that are awkwardly costed; they seem to be worth x.5 points. Gonk is my pet example of this (he's worth more than 1 point but certainly less than 2 because no one uses him). If we simply doubled the price of everything, so we built towards 200 points (with all ships, etc costing roughly double too), his approximate 1.5 points in today's game would be an even 3 points, and he just might see play. Even if you disagree with the Gonk example, I could list plenty of others.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 24, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Y'ALL

It's here

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/24/save-the-rebellion/

Saw gives rerolls to stressed or damage carded ships at range 1-2.

Servos are boost and green 2 banks on one side, barrel roll and tallon rolls on 3 turns on the other.

Refit is minus 2 points, minus 1 on epts, AND two mods.

Holy poo poo.

And some pilots too I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

We ain’t getting xwing 2.0. FFG ain’t gonna print a cardboard only expansion.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/24/save-the-rebellion/

Instead, xwings.

• Locked thread