Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Jay Cutler was really fun to watch, because he had the skills to win games basically on his own, but he was just as likely to throw four picks and give the game away. But his games were rarely boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jay cutler refused to beat the packers at lambeau field unless it was specifically favre night

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
All this Cutler talks reminds me of how much I miss Woodson :/

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Packer fans, I might have to talk about your team next week to preview the draft and I want to make sure that I know what I'm talking about.

I plan on saying something resembling the following. Tell me where I'm right and where I'm an idiot.

I think Calvin Ridley is a strong possibility with their first pick or one of the other top receivers. With Jordy gone, they are lacking in serious playmakers. Adams is their only difference maker. Cobb has been a JAG the past couple seasons.

I think outside of receiver, there is going to be a heavy focus on the defensive side of things. They will try to get Pettine players he wants. I suspect they will prioritize the front seven, because they have invested heavily in their secondary the past couple drafts.

I also suspect they will take advantage of the offensive line depth of this draft in the middle and later rounds, as they've always done a great job developing mid round picks.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sataere posted:

I think Calvin Ridley is a strong possibility with their first pick or one of the other top receivers. With Jordy gone, they are lacking in serious playmakers. Adams is their only difference maker. Cobb has been a JAG the past couple seasons.

I would be blown away if Gutekunst went with receiver for the first pick. Consider a few things:

• the Packers haven't drafted WR in the first since Javon Walker in 2002
  • WRs aren't as important to a team's success as other positions are, with A. Rodgers throwing at them B. Referees easing off on calling penalties in the playoffs, so a top receiver suddenly becomes significantly less effective in the playoffs
  • Your list of playmakers is omitting Jimmy Graham
  • Two years ago Cobb was dealing with injuries, last season he was dealing with Brett Hundley. I anticipate him to bounce back
  • The Packers are really good at finding WRs in the 2nd and 3rd

If they take a WR it'll be in the third round this draft. That's my prediction, anyway.

Even if the Packers don't draft a WR (or TE), the offense is still stacked with targets for Rodgers to throw at: Adams, Cobb, Graham, Montgomery at swing WR/RB, Williams/Jones out of the backfield.

Sataere posted:

I think outside of receiver, there is going to be a heavy focus on the defensive side of things. They will try to get Pettine players he wants. I suspect they will prioritize the front seven, because they have invested heavily in their secondary the past couple drafts.

The Packers have invested heavily in their secondary, that's true, but Randall is gone and Rollins is looking like JAG. Clinton-Dix spent most of last season trying to cover for the rest of the defense and should have a big rebound season between playing under Pettine's defense and not needing to worry about other players blowing their assignments. We're expecting Josh Jones and Kentrell Brice to step up.

That said, our cornerback depth is pretty thin. The Packers "covet" Denzel Ward, but Minkah Fitzpatrick would be a great fit for the team too and is flexible enough to play all across the field under Pettine's scheme. There's also a bunch of decent cornerbacks that could fall to the end of the first or the early second round: Jaire Alexander, Mike Hughes, Josh Jackson, etc. If they do I wouldn't be surprised to see GB snap one of them up.

Leighton Vander Esch fits the Packers' ideal profile of a linebacker almost to a T and I could see him being picked up if the Packers trade down (or flat out at #14). Mock drafts keep on putting Landry / Davenport to the Packers but I think the team is more confident in Matthews / Perry to bounce back, especially given our huge defensive line, than most fans are. There's also a bunch of developmental players that are coming back from injuries (Vince Biegel, primarily) that we haven't really gotten a chance to see them play yet.

Sataere posted:

I also suspect they will take advantage of the offensive line depth of this draft in the middle and later rounds, as they've always done a great job developing mid round picks.

Look for the Packers to pick up a guard in the fourth or fifth, as well as taking a look at tackle depth.

One more thing to keep in mind: Green Bay has a crapload of draft picks but not much space on the roster. I expect at least one trade-up next week.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 19, 2018

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hester and Forte are signing one day contacts to retire as bears

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

This is great stuff. How much do you expect their draft tendencies to change with the new GM?

To play devils advocate about receivers, I'd argue you aren't as good at finding receivers as you were five years ago. Cobb was drafted in 2011. After that, you have the following:

Devante Adams - 2nd round
Ty Montgomery - 3rd round
Jared Arrederis - 5th round
Jeff Janis - 7th round
Trevor Davis - 5th round
Deangelo Yancy - 5th round
Malachi Dupre - 7th round

Adams is the only guy who is a game changer. Montgomery isn't a receiver anymore and Cobb is fine, but teams aren't scheming for him. Everyone else is a JAG or off your roster. And Adams you invested actual draft capital on.

I'd say you are set at ILB with Ryan and Martinez, but you definitely need edge rushers, even if you feel good about Perry / Matthews short term. Agree / Disagree? What do you think of the following fits for the Packers?

Leighton Vander Each - You said ideal
Tremaine Edwards - don't think he'll fall, but who knows. If he fell to 12 or 13, do you trade up?
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Josh Sweat

If Derwin James fell to 14, do you take him, even though you took Josh Jones last year. How do you feel about Josh Jones and Kevin King?

Finally, what are your thoughts on the D Line. I know Daniels is good, but what about Clark and Lowry? Is a guy like Vita Vea a possibility for a 3-4 end? Would that fit? Is it even necessary?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/987039151479447552?s=19

gently caress

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bears winning that game somehow and I'm gonna laugh

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sataere posted:

Packer fans, I might have to talk about your team next week to preview the draft and I want to make sure that I know what I'm talking about.

I plan on saying something resembling the following. Tell me where I'm right and where I'm an idiot.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

I'd really like a speed WR to pair with Adams. Nobody in their WR stable right now has a lot of speed other than Davis, who has barely seen the field as a WR.

I would even priortize this over most defensive needs, due to the ramifications for Rodgers' contentment and health.

But I doubt the Packers consider it a very pressing need in comparison with their various defensive holes, or even in comparison with the need for OL depth given Bulaga's injury issues and the instability at RG.

They've got two starters they believe in (Adams, Cobb), a swing player who they trust in an on-and-off slot role (Montgomery), a TE they can flex out (Graham), several young guys who might yet develop (Allison, Davis, Yancey), and a qb who can eke production out of middling targets.

When you compare that to the porous defense, it is just not gonna look like a high priority. I haven't really heard of them scouting WRs or being attached to WRs in the rumor mill, though they did vaguely pursue some in free agency.

DL is not much of a need. The Daniels/Clark/Lowry/Adams rotation was the defense's biggest strength last year, and they've already spent a good amount of money in free agency to add Wilkerson. I could imagine them drafting a player like Vea if he somehow fell to them, but it would be a clear BPA pick rather than a need-based pick, and seems far-fetched in general.

ILB might be something of a need - Martinez is solid, but Ryan is still suspect and there's no depth behind them unless they want to go back to rotating Mathews inside, which they don't.

OLB seems like a definite need, given Mathews' age and the lack of depth there last year. otoh, they did just spend a second rounder on Biegel last year, and due to injuries haven't yet seen what he can give them.

CB is a definite need , even if they believe in Rollins way more than the fans do. KIng had injury issues last year, Williams and House are old, and the departure of Burnett reduces their flexibility in terms of rotating safeties down into the slot.

I've seen them attached to safeties in some mock drafts, but this is less likely than CB, imho. They've got three safeties they believe in (Clinton-Dix, Jones, Bryce) and probably not more than one guy (King???) who they believe in as a starting perimeter corner.

Ultimately, I don't think the Jordy move really changes their draft projection from what it was at the start of the offseason.

1st and 2nd round they will probably go CB and OLB/EDGE, though I don't care to bet on the order.

MIddle rounds they'll probably stock up on OL and ILB depth prospects.

If they do anything at WR, they'll probably wait til the late rounds, then pick several developmental prospects and hope at least one of turns out to be a diamond in the rough, like they did with RB last year. Though I haven't heard of them having a lot of WRs in for workouts, which they will usually do for positions they are going to target in the late rounds.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 19, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Honestly the Packers seem jam-packed at WR. There's a lot of younger talent that hasn't had time to develop because of everyone else ahead of them on the depth chart, and I'd bet you this is part of why Jordy was let go. I'd still expect them to draft one in the third, though.

Sataere posted:

This is great stuff. How much do you expect their draft tendencies to change with the new GM?

Not very much. Gute worked under both Wolf and Thompson. He's explicitly said he's not going to change much about how they value players -- the changes we're seeing are just Gute being more aggressive about going through his options, whereas Ted seemed content to just sit back and let things come to him.

Sataere posted:

To play devils advocate about receivers...

Jared Arrederis - 5th round
Jeff Janis - 7th round
Trevor Davis - 5th round
Deangelo Yancy - 5th round
Malachi Dupre - 7th round

I explicitly said the 2-3 rounds, not late rounds :P

Sataere posted:

I'd say you are set at ILB with Ryan and Martinez, but you definitely need edge rushers, even if you feel good about Perry / Matthews short term. Agree / Disagree? What do you think of the following fits for the Packers?

Leighton Vander Each - You said ideal
Tremaine Edwards - don't think he'll fall, but who knows. If he fell to 12 or 13, do you trade up?
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Josh Sweat

Yes, I think we need a long term replacement for Matthews but I don't think it's incredibly urgent that we pick one up right now. I don't know enough about Okoronkwo or Sweat to say anything about him. Edmunds would be good for the Packers but I don't think there's any chance he gets outside the top 10. I also don't think he's worth trading up a couple spots for, not compared to Ward or Fitzpatrick or Ro Smith or (my personal favorite) Vea.

Sataere posted:

If Derwin James fell to 14, do you take him, even though you took Josh Jones last year. How do you feel about Josh Jones and Kevin King?

I wouldn't mind James but I think he'd just be played out of position until a spot opens up. I can't say too much about King, he didn't get to play much last season before getting hurt. He's essentially still a rookie. I did like the aggressive and drive he showed on the field, though. I value that a lot and I think the Packers have been really lacking that in the past seasons. Daniels bringing aggression to the team has been very welcome and I hope that improves further this season.

Sataere posted:

Finally, what are your thoughts on the D Line. I know Daniels is good, but what about Clark and Lowry? Is a guy like Vita Vea a possibility for a 3-4 end? Would that fit? Is it even necessary?

Lowry is more than serviceable but I don't know if he'll develop any further. Clark was one of the better NTs in the league last season, just didn't get too much attention - part of it I think because he really began coming on in the final six weeks of the season when most people had already written the Packers off. Daniels-Clark-Wilkerson is a really scary defensive line and for the first time in recent memory I'm going into the season really, really excited about what our defensive line might be able to accomplish.

I've been reading a lot that teams are high enough on Vea to think that he can play multiple positions on the line. I don't think it's necessary to get him, but I also believe you can't really have too many big men on the line. DL players very rarely play more than 90% of snaps, let alone 100%, and having a constant rotation of monsters is going to wear down offenses.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ah, I totally blanked on them getting Wilkerson.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. This is a great help.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Lions/status/987118590242500608

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Sataere posted:

Ah, I totally blanked on them getting Wilkerson.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. This is a great help.

The d line is going to be pretty great. Hopefully that'll help the secondary out.

That said, I feel like the NFC is stacked right now, and the window for Rodgers is closing quickly.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

I'm not gonna lie, I chuckled a few times.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Leon Einstein posted:

The d line is going to be pretty great. Hopefully that'll help the secondary out.

That said, I feel like the NFC is stacked right now, and the window for Rodgers is closing quickly.

Other teams seem to be less worried about that happening than you are: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771204-despite-turmoil-nfl-teams-fear-aaron-rodgers-will-be-better-than-ever-in-2018

quote:

All of this seems contrary to the notion that Rodgers will have an explosive comeback in 2018. Yet sources from several teams tell me they're more afraid of Rodgers than ever.

In fact, they think Rodgers will return with a vengeance this season. They think this will be his season. They think he'll win the MVP. They think—and this is saying something, because Rodgers is both a superstar and perhaps the most gifted quarterback ever—we might see the best version of him yet.

The primary reason they highlight for this expected Rodgers resurgence? Jimmy Graham.

As one of the team sources put it, if you put a player with Rodgers' accuracy together with a player of Graham's caliber, you essentially create an NFC version of Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski.

"The damage Aaron Rodgers could do with Jimmy Graham is scary," the source said. "It's potentially historic."

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum
My 10 year old daughter met Quinton Dial of the Packers the other day at her school. He volunteers with our local PD, which is about 2000 miles away from Green Bay. She got me his autograph, and that just reflects good parenting.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I can't see Rodgers having his best season ever because other teams have figured out Fat Mike's offensive playcalling and he has failed to adjust the last few years. That being said, they still have a good offense and as long as the team stays healthy (lol) they have a shot at the SB, especially with the departure of Capers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Whooping Crabs posted:

I can't see Rodgers having his best season ever because other teams have figured out Fat Mike's offensive playcalling and he has failed to adjust the last few years. That being said, they still have a good offense and as long as the team stays healthy (lol) they have a shot at the SB, especially with the departure of Capers.

Joe Philbin is back

The last time Joe Philbin was with the team was 2011

Make your conclusions, gentlemen

Move ZIG

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

posted w/o comment

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/31476-justin-harrell-signs-packers.html

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Carolina on the Sunday followed by Bears on Thanksgiving, looks like I am headed to Detroit after all

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I chuckled a few times.

some high quality gifs coming out of there for sure.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Joe Philbin is back

The last time Joe Philbin was with the team was 2011

Make your conclusions, gentlemen

Move ZIG
Do the Packers have the receivers to have the same sort of aerial attack they had in 2011? Everybody knew they were throwing it that year, yet nobody could stop it. Rodgers was on another level. Adams is great, Cobb can be great, and Graham might be great. After that, who knows? G-Mo has shown flashes, but I don't know if he's really ready to step into a starting role.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Leon Einstein posted:

Everybody knew they were throwing it that year, yet nobody could stop it.

I think the KC game from that year is where the blueprint to shut down the Packers' offense originated

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Leon Einstein posted:

Do the Packers have the receivers to have the same sort of aerial attack they had in 2011? Everybody knew they were throwing it that year, yet nobody could stop it. Rodgers was on another level. Adams is great, Cobb can be great, and Graham might be great. After that, who knows? G-Mo has shown flashes, but I don't know if he's really ready to step into a starting role.

No, but we now have an actual running game

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Don't forget a healthy Monty who can swing between slot and RB depending on the playcall. That forces defenses to account for him whenever he's on the field, which limits their coverage options elsewhere.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

No, but we now have an actual running game

i think you have to use the running game for that to apply.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

WHOOPS posted:

i think you have to use the running game for that to apply.

I mean, we had to rely on it last year because Hundley was so bad. Rodgers is never going to put up 2011 numbers again but that's not a bad thing.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Packers were 27th in rushing attempts last year and 29th the year before.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, their offensive efficiency was horrible because they had a QB that couldn't throw the ball most of the year. He couldn't throw downfield at at all and never seemed to know where the sticks we're so drives we're short. Per football outsiders their DVOA was 25th in passing and 4th in rushing.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
yeah my point was them having an efficient run game now doesn’t mean much if they don’t actually try to run the ball regularly. you’d certainly hope that will be the case but i was also just being snarky.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Blotto Skorzany posted:

I think the KC game from that year is where the blueprint to shut down the Packers' offense originated
My cousin drove to that game from Milwaukee. He was so pissed.

I don't know if I'd really say the Packers have a running game. They're so-so.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 20, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The run game looked good up until literally everyone got injured.

I'm super high on Aaron Jones's potential. He showed really good vision and patience last season, which was such a tremendous change of pace from what the Packers usually get from their running backs: the patented "slam into the offensive line and fall down" maneuver

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some reason for Bears fans to be hopeful expectations cometh before the fall :twisted:

https://twitter.com/brickwallblitz/status/986501192271499264?s=21

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

The run game looked good up until literally everyone got injured.
Exactly, and it wasn't just the backs. Wasn't there a stretch late in the season where we only had like 1 starting OLineman left?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Some reason for Bears fans to be hopeful expectations cometh before the fall :twisted:

https://twitter.com/brickwallblitz/status/986501192271499264?s=21

I mean honestly if you cherry-pick individual plays couldn't you make any quarterback look good?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Deki posted:

I mean honestly if you cherry-pick individual plays couldn't you make any quarterback look good?

that was my thought. his only complete game was against the Bengals

I'm pretty down on trubs but pace hamstrung him so bad with a horrible coach and no wrs that he can't really be judged. this year is essentially his rookie year mark two

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:unsmith:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
hester is the best player all time at his position so not much to say about HOF credentials

Forte, though..
blargh trying again

got all of faulk's and martin's careers, not all of smith's (whatever). cutoffs of 1k rushing attempts, 10k yards from scrimmage

i dont think HOF for forte based on that (terrell davis had 8887 yards from scrimmage but the insane peak + titles)

he's basically Tiki barber with a lower yard per carry

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Deki posted:

I think the main point is most of those passes were dropped or disallowed and it wasn't Trubs' fault. So his QBR, passer rating, yards passing etc. were dragged down hard by his poo poo receiver corps. It's a reasonable point imo, I think Bears fans should be happy to have what appears to be a competent but still a little fresh QB. On his rookie contract this should allow them to build around him quickly. I still don't think the Bears have a good chance in the NFC North this next season which is going to be one of the most difficult divisions in football, but to me this looks like the start of something promising.

• Locked thread