Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's nice that Allston got to finish off his career in Star Wars with Mercy Kill. I didn't read it but I think it was pretty well-received by those who did. It would have been a shame if LOTF had been the last thing he'd been involved in (and after Betrayal, which I remember thinking was at least a pretty promising start way back when it was published, even his parts weren't him at his best).

Mercy Kill is decent, but it still suffers from basically existing in the first place to tie up a ton of loose ends from Fate of the Jedi. There's a lot of good stuff in the book and I wish some of the newer characters had been able to go on to have more adventures I could read about, but the actual plot required me to care a lot more about LOTF/FOTJ than I was willing to by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

it was resolved by putting loving daala in charge of the republic lol

I'll have you know that Tarkin thought she was a genius.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Last Shot has a nonbinary character. Literally no big issue is made of this; said character merely uses they/them pronouns. Watching shitheads melt down about it provided me with HOURS of free entertainment this morning

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Last Shot has an Ewok slicer character. No X-wing series explanation is given for this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Last Shot has a nonbinary character. Literally no big issue is made of this; said character merely uses they/them pronouns. Watching shitheads melt down about it provided me with HOURS of free entertainment this morning

Hopefully this means the publishing side of things learned their lesson about how shouting "we're so progressive! Look at our gays!" wasn't the best look for someone trying to be respectful. That was my big issue with the first wave of Neu books, because it felt less like giving a fair share to homosexuals and more like they were using it as a marketing ploy. And then Wendig yelling about how people who didn't like his book were homophobes didn't help things either.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wendig also had some crude joke about someone being able to suck the finish off an armor plate or something like that. Don't know how that got past the story group. I wasn't exactly offended other than by how stupid it was. Wensig would probably call me a homophobe for not liking the funny he made.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He has mellowed out though. Recently he did some guest voice work on Auralnauts Star Wars

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

He has mellowed out though. Recently he did some guest voice work on Auralnauts Star Wars

I've mentioned this before, but I saw an author panel that had Wendig, Zahn, Claudia Grey, and Delilah S. Dawson, and say what you want about Wendig, but he was the only person there who was interesting to listen to.

I love Grey and Zahn as authors, but they were boring as hell on a panel, and Wendig was funny as poo poo. He talked about how he wrote the Jar Jar interlude for the third Aftermath book with the full knowledge the editor would never let him use it, but just as a fun thing to do for himself. He was shocked when they said yes.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 20, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Wendig could be a bit abrasive on social media...but honestly I think it's kinda warranted. People need to get shaken up a bit when they're being shitheels about minority groups daring to exist in Star Wars.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Jar Jar interlude is one of the better things he's done.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

Wendig could be a bit abrasive on social media...but honestly I think it's kinda warranted. People need to get shaken up a bit when they're being shitheels about minority groups daring to exist in Star Wars.

Not to mention people who have the absolute gall to dislike a Star Wars book.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrawn527 posted:

I've mentioned this before, but I saw an author panel that had Wendig, Zahn, Claudia Grey, and Delilah S. Dawson, and say what you want about Wendig, but he was the only person there who was interesting to listen too.

I love Grey and Zahn as authors, but they were boring as hell on a panel, and Wendig was funny as poo poo. He talked about how he wrote the Jar Jar interlude for the third Aftermath book with the full knowledge the editor would never let him use it, but just a fun thing to do himself. He was shocked when they said yes.

thats nice. he was at my college a year back. but he was their on a day i wasnt on campus. should have went. he seems like a cool dude if a little weird sometimes. to bad his writing is kinda mixed.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Supreme Nerder.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Congrats!

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Do you get to pull rank on any Hux coplayers?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ScottyJSno posted:

Do you get to pull rank on any Hux coplayers?

I don't see a lot of those. There's some (a handful) of First Order troopers now though, and a really well done executioner here. And the best goddamn Captain Phasma went to C2E2 this year.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

https://imgur.com/a/bMBSSf1

e:

That officer is the woman in this gorgeous costume

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 24, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/988573625753092096

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Don't worry, Colin. Spielberg hasn't fired you from Jurassic World 3 yet.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

is this supposed to be a JJ/TFA burn or Actually Really Deep Thoughts Man or what. how many levels of irony is the failed Richard Marquand on

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That is sick, basically movie prop identical. How did she come by it?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Looks like the next Star Wars cartoon is jumping to TFA time.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-resistance-animated-tv-series/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Honestly surprised it's not a Thrawn Trilogy adaptation. That being said, I think a pre-TFA series is pretty much my second favorite option. I'm onboard. Especially if Bobby Moynihan is doing a role.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
More awful Rebels CGI or something closer to TCW's budget?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The press release says it's going to be anime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chairman Capone posted:

The press release says it's going to be anime.

I'm all for a 2D show with a decent budget. The word anime bugs me though because I've seen enough anime styled shows for western IPs to know they only chose that art style or studio to cut down production costs. Back when EA was doing anime tie ins to all their games in the early 2010s they got high profile anime studios to pump out budget garbage.

Also Scott Lawrence is in the cast? I wonder if he'll do some Darth Vader reprisal in a holocron or something. He was always my favorite non JEJ Vader voice. Matt Sloan should have stuck to the grocery store Chad Vader.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 26, 2018

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They'll bring back Thrawn and do the Thrawn Trilogy story loosely and it will make everyone angry because it's different.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'd pay money to see him return astride a literal space chimaera he captured during his adventures with Ezra and the space whales

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
It would own if it looked like the first Clone Wars shorts

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

mdemone posted:

That is sick, basically movie prop identical. How did she come by it?

I could ask her next time, but my impression is most of the pieces she modded a FO trooper kit and chromed it herself.

Oh and, now that I've got a few troops under my belt, it's time to roll some upgrades:

Also up: getting a new helmet. Current one is a modded Black Series helmet, but the top layer of paint is majorly chipping off the back so I can't wear the hood down (which also eliminates using it as part of a SKB or TLJ Kylo set without a lot more elbow grease).

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Star Wars: Episode I: Racer is now available to buy on GOG.

Best thing to come out of TPM besides Duel of the Fates.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Time to try and fail at The Abyss all over again

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
So, I just learned that in the new canon, the trash compactor monster is Force-sensitive.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Omi

*sniff* It's like the old EU never went away.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cross-Section posted:

Star Wars: Episode I: Racer is now available to buy on GOG.

Best thing to come out of TPM besides Duel of the Fates.

Does LEGO Star Wars count? Because it'd be a strong contender.

But seriously that's cool.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Angry Salami posted:

So, I just learned that in the new canon, the trash compactor monster is Force-sensitive.

From a Certain Point of View really ended up being incredibly stupid, and I wish they hadn't bothered. There was, like, one good story in the whole thing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

:psyduck: What did I just read.
What's wrong with a wild beast just being...a wild beast living in the trash?
I guess Skippy now has competition for worst force thing.

I suddenly feel like playing Dark Forces again and beating the crap out of the Dianoga in those games. This backstory somehow makes it much more fun.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
But... The story group...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Angry Salami posted:

They didn’t get rid of the old EU because it was bad, but because it wasn’t their bad.

I am surprised it went that quickly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milky Moor posted:

But... The story group...

Paging JivJov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who would win in a fight - the Force-sensitive garbage squid who lives in the middle of the first Death Star, or IG-88, who was the second Death Star?