Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

dantheman650 posted:

I know we aren’t supposed to like Nick anymore but I’ve been working my way through the back catalog of cool games inc. and it’s so goddamn hilarious and good. I miss it so much!

I don't know if anything he ever does could be as hilarious as CookForCube basically happening to him in real life. He disrespected the cube and suffered social permadeath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/988825272626671616

:(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes! Now we don't have to talk about polygon anymore!

Maybe he can do something with Nick again!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I can’t believe Polygon is loving dead

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Whoa

Serf
May 5, 2011

wow, of all the people i thought would leave polygon, they were not among them. they must be close to shuttering the site completely

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I was wondering because they didn't really seem to be doing much for polygon anymore

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

Serf posted:

wow, of all the people i thought would leave polygon, they were not among them. they must be close to shuttering the site completely

They did kill a few of the video segments off the youtube channel last week. I'm a little concerned

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

If Griffin ever "does something" with Nick again I will burn the entire McElroy empire to the ground.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This just makes me want to be a max fun donator more now.

Edit: or is it 'donor'?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 24, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

justin mcelroy escapes the sinking shell of another gaming website

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

gently caress off.

Pastrymancy posted:

They did kill a few of the video segments off the youtube channel last week. I'm a little concerned

I'm actually hopeful this means they'll be able to keep everybody else on staff. Clearing off some cap space, as it were. But who knows.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Well assuming Polygon isn’t going under, it seems that not much is actually going to change. They’re still going to do Monster Factory whenever they feel like it, still going to do awful squad, and still going to do Besties. So basically what they’re doing now. Just...without getting paid?

But yeah the prognosis for Polygon is not great at this point.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I said it in the polygon thread but the biggest surprise about the announcement to me was that they were still working full-time at polygon on top of everything else they've been doing. I kinda assumed they'd gone part-time years ago. They're also not ending anything they were still doing regularly at Polygon:

quote:

Our footprint isn't completely going to disappear from Polygon. We're in talks to continue doing Monster Factory on ... some kind of schedule, though we're still ironing out exactly what that's going to look like. We're also going to keep doing Awful Squad on an ad-hoc basis, and are in the process of figuring out a way to keep doing Besties, mostly because I refuse to let Chris and Russ win the tontine we all paid into years ago.

so who knows, really. glad they're finally getting some more hours in the day to spend with their kids

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Yeah, Justin and Griffin are scheduled to be in an Awful Squad today.

This is sad, and a little concerning given that the McElroy empire pulls in most of the views on Polygon

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Justin's been Editor-At-Large for a few years now, so I don't think that he was full time. But Griffin was on just enough stuff that I thought he was maybe still recovering from the babby, and I guess it's just something he can't allot time for anymore. I get it, and don't blame them at all.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In conclusion, Polygon sucks, and now will suck slightly more

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Also everyone insisting that polygon is dead without the mcelroys hasn't actually been watching anything polygon has been putting out b/c they've been in very few things in general in recent years + the non-mcelroy crew has been putting out a ton of great stuff recently, especially the new hires (brian is a treasure)

I also really really doubt that Griffin would be saying how much he looks forward to the stuff Polygon is going to be putting out in the future if the site was dying (just like they wouldn't have been actively looking for new hires if the site was dying)

edit: also also this is your weekly reminder to put Borland on ignore and never look back

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The last monster factory has 198k views, which is more than all the most recent episodes of polygon shows put together

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

So basically what they’re doing now. Just...without getting paid?

I get your point here, but don't they have something like 20k+ paid max fun donors? Were they referring to just MBMBAM or across all max fun shows?

Minimum donation is what, $5? So minimum $100k/month is definitely incredible. Especially for a podcast.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

flatluigi posted:

edit: also also this is your weekly reminder to put Borland on ignore and never look back

Dude thinks Polygon content is bad AND thinks Griffin should work with Nick again. I mean god drat

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I get your point here, but don't they have something like 20k+ paid max fun donors? Were they referring to just MBMBAM or across all max fun shows?

Minimum donation is what, $5? So minimum $100k/month is definitely incredible. Especially for a podcast.

Oh I just meant not getting paid for the Polygon stuff

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
https://www.reddit.com/r/MBMBAM/comments/8ekp46/in_the_latest_episode_403_im_pretty_damn_sure_you/?utm_source=reddit-android

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Nicks biggest crime was not being very funny, tbh. When he was funny he was usually just aping Griffin anyway. Hot take, I know.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Nicks biggest crime was not being very funny, tbh. When he was funny he was usually just aping Griffin anyway. Hot take, I know.

I never thought Nick was very funny, I’m right there with you. He was still a good enough wall for Griffin to bounce off though. The stuff they made was good.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Also everyone insisting that polygon is dead without the mcelroys hasn't actually been watching anything polygon has been putting out b/c they've been in very few things in general in recent years + the non-mcelroy crew has been putting out a ton of great stuff recently, especially the new hires (brian is a treasure)

I also really really doubt that Griffin would be saying how much he looks forward to the stuff Polygon is going to be putting out in the future if the site was dying (just like they wouldn't have been actively looking for new hires if the site was dying)

I was mostly sad that Video Game Theatre was ending. At least they got the Tetris episode in

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
gonna be an awful squad with justin/griffin/simone/russ/jenna/travis in 20 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVe8a5MsqJk

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Drunkboxer posted:

It is known: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovRR1lK7vgw&t=1228s

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
RIP to those sweet sweet boys. I can definitely relate to having to give up a part of your life that you really enjoy just so you can have time to live the other parts of said life.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I never thought Nick was very funny, I’m right there with you. He was still a good enough wall for Griffin to bounce off though. The stuff they made was good.

This was exactly his merit. He was never funny on his own, as you can see in the Quiplash clip that Half of Dracula linked, but he did dumb poo poo that made Griffin laugh, and was able to come up with things that Griffin could make funny. He was an ideas man, at best, but there was merit to it. Too bad he ended up being a creep.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nick was definitely there to make Griffin funnier. I did laugh a few times at a Nick joke though. I don't think Griffin working with Nick again would be a good direction to go in now that he has to double down on having a super inclusive audience. Not that it would have even a small chance of happening.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
let’s go to hell was wretched

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The best thing Nick ever did was have a Loss joke fly over his head, and then get really mad about it.

The second best was saying "On the rocks" when naming their bartending kiss simulator.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Griffin is one of the least likely people to ever want to work with Nick Robinson again, right after every one of the dozens of women that Nick creeped on and harassed over the years. I don't know how clear it is these days, but for people who weren't around at the time it was clear how loving betrayed Griffin was by the news coming out.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

Like many harassers getting outed Nick took advantage of people that wanted to get into games media/comedy, which honestly seems like a big loss in terms of what we could've had.

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/988827878686064640

What could this be???

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Griffin is one of the least likely people to ever want to work with Nick Robinson again, right after every one of the dozens of women that Nick creeped on and harassed over the years. I don't know how clear it is these days, but for people who weren't around at the time it was clear how loving betrayed Griffin was by the news coming out.

I'd love to read anything about this. Not that I don't believe it, I absolutely do. I just want to read about it.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Voice work begins on Trolls 2.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bard Maddox posted:

let’s go to hell was wretched

it was also a concept straight-up stolen from [url="https://"https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHTnEwQKNwm49CQeCVZogMw"]someone else on youtube[/url] that Nick had to backpedal about when people immediately pointed it out

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I love that quiplash episode because of how salty nick gets over his losses, they didn't do another one until he left

flatluigi posted:

I don't remember Griffin saying anything about other than not knowing about it

Raserys fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, I think that happening was the last nail in the coffin for Griffin leaving Polygon. His letter said he brought up leaving two years ago, but was still one of the biggest video producers up to the exact moment the Nick news hit. I'm sure that soured things for him, and gave him a lot less of a reason to keep trying to make the balance work.

Raserys posted:

I don't remember Griffin saying anything about other than not knowing about it

He made some statements condemning the behavior as strongly as he could with Polygon having a lid on all employees discussing it for a couple weeks. Since then, he has never mentioned Nick again on anything. Considering the guy was his main producing partner outside his family at that point, it's pretty clear he cut him out of his life.

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 24, 2018