Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Can't talk Interdictors without getting into the EU, there was an Interdictor in like every other story because it was the only way to take care of the "why don't they just jump to lightspeed to escape?" problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m only Talking about live action movies in here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Basebf555 posted:

Can't talk Interdictors without getting into the EU, there was an Interdictor in like every other story because it was the only way to take care of the "why don't they just jump to lightspeed to escape?" problem.

Rebels is just as canonical as the films; interdictors got pulled out of Legends and into the Story Group Canon.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Haha Smaller Han just accidentally revealed that they have him on the hook for three movies

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

I’m only Talking about live action movies in here.

oh, ya, I was just talking about canon I guess

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not watching rebels to talk about the Star Wars films.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ingmar terdman posted:

Haha Smaller Han just accidentally revealed that they have him on the hook for three movies

Gonna bet he doesn't really have to worry about that.

Unless they're making a Donglover Lando movie :getin:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Gonna bet he doesn't really have to worry about that.

Unless they're making a Donglover Lando movie :getin:

Yeah I've got a feeling that whatever plans they had they may shuffle around to retool a movie to be a Lando vehicle

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I think even if they never do a direct sequel to Solo they'll definitely touch on this period time again with future Star Wars Stories and having Han pop up as a side character would be kinda fun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

I’m not watching rebels to talk about the Star Wars films.

fair, but canon is canon, so it will work the same way in the movies too when it gets addressed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That Darth Vader comic is alright, they should probably make a movie out of that instead of like "Yoda" or "Jabba" or whatever bullshit they're planning.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

eonwe posted:

fair, but canon is canon, so it will work the same way in the movies too when it gets addressed

That isn't relevant to how concepts are presented in films already produced.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the movie and show portrayals line up pretty good to me, and future movies will definitely take it into account so it seems relevant enough to me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

That Darth Vader comic is alright, they should probably make a movie out of that instead of like "Yoda" or "Jabba" or whatever bullshit they're planning.

The Huttfather

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

The Huttfather

Marlon Brando Hutt is already canon

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

eonwe posted:

the movie and show portrayals line up pretty good to me, and future movies will definitely take it into account so it seems relevant enough to me

The films are certainly relevant to the shows, and the shows may or may not be relevant to movies going forward, but that can't work in the other direction. The original films were not meant to be understood in context with a show made nearly forty years afterwards, and relying on the later show as evidence for how things work is conceding that the original films don't support that line.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No, because he fully escapes at the point that he jumps into the hole.

It doesn’t matter how fast he is inside the hole, because the escape is already over.

euphronius posted:

Going to hyperspace has nothing to do with speed

It’s exiting the stage.

This clearly is not the case, or the cruiser in The Last Jedi would not have passed through the First Order fleet. There is absolutely an element of acceleration (and deceleration) to hyperspace. You can see this visually in the Original films as ships seem to decelerate out of hyperspace.

Ships don't merely blink into existence, they're clearly in motion.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Basebf555 posted:

I actually liked that, made spacefights more interesting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ammanas posted:

This clearly is not the case, or the cruiser in The Last Jedi would not have passed through the First Order fleet. There is absolutely an element of acceleration (and deceleration) to hyperspace. You can see this visually in the Original films as ships seem to decelerate out of hyperspace.

She engaged the warp drive not the regular space drive that they used to outrun the first order fleet

In the falcon it the handle that Han pushes forward and barely or never works because it’s a piece of poo poo space ship

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Ammanas posted:

once you press the button you jump into the hole. what happens between pressing the button and entering the hole is irrelevant. press the button and you're safe, unless it's broken, then nothing happens and you're "in trouble (because your ship is too slow)"

han wasn't talking about how quickly his ship jumps into the hole after he presses the button

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This isn’t like Back to the future where you have to go 88 mph or whatever which also makes no sense at all.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Ammanas posted:

euphronius posted:

She engaged the warp drive not the regular space drive that they used to outrun the first order fleet

In the falcon it the handle that Han pushes forward and barely or never works because it's a piece of poo poo space ship

Whichever one of these is actually true in the context of the fake science of Star Wars doesn't matter. What does matter is that the narrative effect of the jump to hyperspace is more like jumping in a hole than running fast. Basically any ship can jump into the hole. The Millenium Falcon being fast when it's in the hole would be utterly meaningless because at that point they can't be chased anymore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also the Falcon is slow and Han is a liar.

And the Solo movie should not have been made.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
An interdictor probably would have been a better reason for the fleet chase in TLJ. We can't go to light speed, but it works in our favor too because they can't jump to us.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What does the line "She'll make point five past lightspeed" mean if hyperspace doesn't connote movement?

Why is jumping into a hole represented by an image of the ship accelerating away?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The ships have regular thrusters and then the warp drive thrusters

Every ship is similarly fast using warp drive. Distinctions are not apparent from the films. You engage your warp drives and you go to hyperspace. This is magic and no one knows how it works.

Ships have all different kinds of regular thrusters and maneuverability tho, reminiscent of WW 2 naval actions. We know how these work since they are grounded in WW 2 movies.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think the line about "point five past lightspeed" suggests that there is a concept of differing speeds in hyperspace.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are taking was Solo says at face value.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Even if he is lying, what about it suggests that it's a nonsense statement? Why boast about a conceptual impossibility? If being faster in hyperspace isn't a thing, why not lie about something that is?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why say your uncle works for Nintendo?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Screenshotting this thread so The Invention of Lying (2009 D.P. Tim Surhstedt) can finally be on one of those 'A Perfect Shot' social media accounts

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why say your uncle works for Nintendo?

There are uncles who work for Nintendo.

If you wanted to deceive somebody, you wouldn't say "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He also says he made the Kessl run in 13 parsecs which is nonsense.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

He also says he made the Kessl run in 13 parsecs which is nonsense.

That's explainable as navigational talk but I'm not sure exactly how to explain ".5 past lightspeed". Oh well, I guess we're not gonna find a totally consistent answer on this one!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When Han Solo told Leia he loved her in RoTJ he was lying.

Apparently nothing Han Solo ever says is the truth because he's a liar and a scoundrel and a nerf hearder.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This one did not go there. And That one doesn't go there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AndyElusive posted:

When Han Solo told Leia he loved her in RoTJ he was lying.

Apparently nothing Han Solo ever says is the truth because he's a liar and a scoundrel and a nerf hearder.

He knew he wasn't going to see that guy in Hell.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess they call it hyper drive , not warp drive

Mea culpa.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

He knew he wasn't going to see that guy in Hell.

That shot wasn't one in a million and if any of you actually believed that then lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

What does the line "She'll make point five past lightspeed" mean if hyperspace doesn't connote movement?

That line is referring to a speed.

Hyperspace is a space.

Han’s top speed inside of hyperspace is the same as outside, but distance inside hyperspace is compressed. Han is not going faster; he is effectively shrinking the universe around them to bring the destination closer.

This is not a concept invented for Star Wars. Lucas took the hyperspace concept from Asimov. The entire point is to fudge a way for ships to travel vast distances without breaking the light-speed limit (or, in Han’s case, the marginally-faster-than-lightspeed limit).