Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Rainuwastaken posted:

The Nezha girl's outfit is really cute, but I'm not quite sure it's $18 cute. Wonder how long my willpower will hold out until I crumble...

Also, I got BLM to 70 and it's the coolest goddamn thing. I hit like a 16k Foul or something last night on a giant trash pull and my heart exploded.

16k, that's cute. Your gonna love gearing up and watching numbers climb.

Wanna say my record is like 45k but it can go way higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I wish astral fire potency also worked on foul.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mymla posted:

I've been giggling for like a minute at the idea that Eureka would increase player retention.

I don't like Eureka, but it's clear that there's a good number of people who do. I can't say with any certainty if that's leading to increased player retention between patches, but that's their clear goal with introducing content like this. Maybe they find out it sucks rear end for player retention, or maybe there's a larger core of FFXI fans who love casual grinds like this enough to keep themselves subscribed inbetween major patches than we thought.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vermain posted:

I don't like Eureka, but it's clear that there's a good number of people who do. I can't say with any certainty if that's leading to increased player retention between patches, but that's their clear goal with introducing content like this. Maybe they find out it sucks rear end for player retention, or maybe there's a larger core of FFXI fans who love casual grinds like this enough to keep themselves subscribed inbetween major patches than we thought.

I dunno, it sure didn't keep me subscribed.

Part of me choosing to cancel my sub is also how time consuming doing daily roulettes are for one character to keep up with the daily bonuses. Leveling roulette. Trial roulette. 50/60 roulette. Alliance raid roulette. Expert roulette. Main scenario roulette.

In my opinion, those roulettes or at least the bonuses thereof badly need to be condensed down to just one or two to do per day, three at most.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cythereal posted:

That's fine. I wouldn't stay subscribed for it, either, but there are assuredly people who are willing to stay subscribed and slowly acquire relics/glamours with their friends in Eureka and thus extend their subscriptions longer. Whether this is large enough to offset potential losses in subscribers from not outputting as many dungeons is something only Square-Enix knows. My point's merely that different people like different forms of content, and that Yoshida and the development team are aware that they can't simply run the same content cycle repeatedly forever and expect to keep themselves in the black. You're inevitably going to face attrition, and the only way to effectively circumvent that is to either reinvent the game in a large-scale way (which has been WoW's major strategy with Legion) or try out new, novel forms of content and see if the playerbase bites.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I actually wish there was more reason to run roulette's besides the first 2 days of a reset because you cap so quickly. I really do enjoy the variety of content it offers just hard to convince friends to keep queuing with me for fun soon as they got their weekly tomes and solo queuing is scary to me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Unless you are trying to power level a new class, I don't see any intelligence in running every roulette in a single day.

I do wish the cash shop was a little less pricey though.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
For leveling I'd just stick with the daily LLDR for it, maybe running the highest available dungeon if I wanted to level it faster beyond that, and once past lv50-52 I barely ever run any roulette for exp and just go with the HW beastmen and hunt dailies for easy quick exp gains.
If you decide to powerlevel something then its on you and just gotta realize what you're in for and suck it up with that decision. Plenty of ways to level easily with minimal time spent per day if you keep it casual as long you aren't in a rush to get multiple levels a day.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Part of me choosing to cancel my sub is also how time consuming doing daily roulettes are for one character to keep up with the daily bonuses. Leveling roulette. Trial roulette. 50/60 roulette. Alliance raid roulette. Expert roulette. Main scenario roulette.

In my opinion, those roulettes or at least the bonuses thereof badly need to be condensed down to just one or two to do per day, three at most.
The roulettes are fine, you're under this mistaken idea you're supposed to be doing that poo poo daily. You're not, FYI.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

BrightWing posted:

16k, that's cute. Your gonna love gearing up and watching numbers climb.

Wanna say my record is like 45k but it can go way higher.

Yeah, my casting gearset is horrendous right now. I did pick up the Anemos weapon for BLM last night before I went to sleep, but I'm really cagey about spending the crystals on the armor. The AF3 is just so, so ugly....but I've been incredibly lazy about capping my tomes and doing sigmascape, so it honestly might be the best option for now. I've got more than enough crystals to get it, at least.

Cythereal posted:

You don't have to do'em all every day, man. I usually get through Trials and occasionally leveling roulette, the rest I stay far away from 'cause I just don't have much need.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I think I read somewhere (on this forum?) that JP players enjoy leveling and Eureka is a content where they can level something without devs having to add another class mid-cycle, because JPs already have every class at 70.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dwesa posted:

I think I read somewhere (on this forum?) that JP players enjoy leveling and Eureka is a content where they can level something without devs having to add another class mid-cycle, because JPs already have every class at 70.

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of this is just cultural differences. Like, maybe all the anecdotes I've read about the JP servers are just weird horseshit someone cooked up, but they seem to approach the game - at least on the casual end - in several categorically different ways than on the Western servers.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They love the grind.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
why are you doing all your roulettes each day? there's not even any tangible benefit to running more than, what, four EXDRs in a week, unless you're really hard up for fire resistance v materia or whatever

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dwesa posted:

Having not played during ARR, the fact they added NIN in a patch still seems really cool to me, a new class would have been a better add then Eureka, but I get why that might actually be more work or something they'd save to sell xpacs.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

why are you doing all your roulettes each day? there's not even any tangible benefit to running more than, what, four EXDRs in a week, unless you're really hard up for fire resistance v materia or whatever

like all those roulettes are super useful for leveling or getting poetic gear for a job when it's pre-70 but if you're 70 I can't imagine the rewards for the non-70 roulettes compare to just doing a level 70 dungeon, especially one of the latest ones.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

a medical mystery posted:

like all those roulettes are super useful for leveling or getting poetic gear for a job when it's pre-70 but if you're 70 I can't imagine the rewards for the non-70 roulettes compare to just doing a level 70 dungeon, especially one of the latest ones.

I do most of them on alt classes because I like seeing the class storylines and making an actual alt is painful by comparison. I am not playing through 2.X again.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

That you can make alts in this game has always really confused me, it seems like a thing they needed to implement to stop people complaining to be honest.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

oh no blimp issue posted:

That you can make alts in this game has always really confused me, it seems like a thing they needed to implement to stop people complaining to be honest.

It’s for cosmetics and for playing the three introductory storylines, I guess.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Unless you are playing a hardcore top of the line raider or want to play on a another server for whatever reasons, I really don't see the appeal of ever making alts in a game when the same char can play every class, not having to make alts to experience the full game is one of the selling points for me.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

oh no blimp issue posted:

Sometimes your footstools need to be different sizes.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Vermain posted:

I don't like Eureka, but it's clear that there's a good number of people who do.
yea i bet

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

people are people even if they have incurable brainworms that make them like eureka

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
it's me, i like eureka

i will take one lockout of eureka over five expert roulette runs a week, anytime

i only wish eureka NMs dropped uncapped tomes instead of exp if you're at max level, too

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

it's me, i like eureka

i will take one lockout of eureka over five expert roulette runs a week, anytime

i only wish eureka NMs dropped uncapped tomes instead of exp if you're at max level, too

:yeah:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

it's me, i like eureka

:same:

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

MarquiseMindfang posted:

it's me, i like eureka

hell :same:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

it's me, i like eureka

:same:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

No surprise goons like lovely things. Like FFXIV.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Choyi posted:

Unless you are playing a hardcore top of the line raider or want to play on a another server for whatever reasons, I really don't see the appeal of ever making alts in a game when the same char can play every class, not having to make alts to experience the full game is one of the selling points for me.

Leveling another character takes time. Time is sub money. Square-Enix is not going to stop you from effectively spending more money.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Leveling another character takes time. Time is sub money. Square-Enix is not going to stop you from effectively spending more money.

And yet they have a one-character-only sub option.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sighence posted:

And yet they have a one-character-only sub option.

It's a "one-character-only, per-server, up to eight servers" option.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

it's me, i like eureka
:chloe:

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

MarquiseMindfang posted:

it's me, i like eureka

Do people actually like Eureka on its own merits, or is it just the least-worst option of getting tomestones?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

There are no Content Respecters or Honest Healers in Eureka, friend. You're safe there.

Ryanbomber posted:

Do people actually like Eureka on its own merits, or is it just the least-worst option of getting tomestones?

Bit of both. Adding more zones to explore in a non-linear (dungeonised) fashion mid-expac is nice. I'd like to see them build on it a bit more.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 25, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Ugh. This doesn't really work until you've spent about 12 hours grinding idling in eureka for almost zero gain though, at which point you've spent enough time in there for ~2 months worth of "five expert roulette runs a week" already and have maybe a week's worth of tomes to show for it. Not even a relic yet, you have to be level 19 for that.

And after that a lockout is 3 hours, vs about an hour of spamming big aoe numbers on monsters in nice 15-20 minute instalments, plus a few extra trials or a 70 roulette you're likely to do anyway, because this game is fun.

I know, I know netflix on a second monitor. That does sound rad, actually, paying a subscription for content that requires a subscription to netflix to enjoy. :bravo: to the team that made it happen!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
people already watched netflix while they did 90% of the content in this game, frankly I'm proud of SE for being brave enough to make content specifically designed to not pay attention

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Truga posted:

Ugh. This doesn't really work until you've spent about 12 hours grinding idling in eureka for almost zero gain though, at which point you've spent enough time in there for ~2 months worth of "five expert roulette runs a week" already and have maybe a week's worth of tomes to show for it. Not even a relic yet, you have to be level 19 for that.

And after that a lockout is 3 hours, vs about an hour of spamming big aoe numbers on monsters in nice 15-20 minute instalments, plus a few extra trials or a 70 roulette you're likely to do anyway, because this game is fun.

I know, I know netflix on a second monitor. That does sound rad, actually, paying a subscription for content that requires a subscription to netflix to enjoy. :bravo: to the team that made it happen!

you can get tomes from level 1, you don't need to be 20 for it to replace EX roulette, only if you want a relic

in that sense, leveling in eureka is almost exactly the same kind of incidental not-content as older relics were, just centered in a different place. Eureka for tomes and incidentally get a weapon with all the stuff you were collecting in the background, as opposed to rouletting for tomes and incidentally getting a weapon with all those lesser tomes you get from doing that.

and for my time i'll take 20 different bosses over 9, 3 (or 6) of which will already be 3 months old at any given time.

roulettes are bad.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

MarquiseMindfang posted:

roulettes are bad.

I actually feel like I contribute in roulettes. It's a great feeling when I happen to get another DPS firing on all cylinders and a tank willing to pull from wall to wall (and a healer who can keep up) and we effortlessly destroy the entire dungeon (and both current ExDR options are good for that). Even the average mediocre group is friendly and able to deal with mechanics (again I'm talking ExDR, not 50/60 or whatever).

Plus 24DR is a total memefest shitshow these days, I love it so much.

Like others in this thread, I usually only run roulettes 2 days a week before capping (hunts and Omega give the rest), and I honestly wish it was more like 4 or 5. Roulettes are good.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

and for my time i'll take 20 different bosses over 9, 3 (or 6) of which will already be 3 months old at any given time.

roulettes are bad.

Uh, technically there are only 2 new bosses in Eureka, one being Pazuzu which is mostly a Diabolos clone with more abilities and Lamashtu, which no one ever does anymore. Lamashtu is ALREADY old content.

I would also rather take 2 & a half hours a week compared to a single 3 hour stint in Eureka. I don't have a second monitor and usually when I play a game I like to actually play the game.

If roulettes are bad, Eureka is worse.