Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am sensing some animosity from heart and cest right now I dunno I am kinda observant about these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

lmfao
https://twitter.com/mijukusdreamer/status/987992485023498240

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

There is something about genre writers where the further you go down the genre hole the more they claim they are secretly way better than "real writers"

quote:

"Gene Wolfe is the greatest writer in the English language alive today. Let me repeat that: Gene Wolfe is the greatest writer in the English language alive today! I mean it. Shakespeare was a better stylist, Melville was more important to American letters, and Charles Dickens had a defter hand at creating characters. But among living writers, there is nobody who can even approach Gene Wolfe for brilliance of prose, clarity of thought, and depth in meaning."

quote:

"Forget 'Speculative Fiction'. Gene Wolfe is the best writer alive. Period. And as Wolfe once said, 'All novels are fantasies. Some are more honest about it.' No comparison. Nobody – I mean nobody – comes close to what this artist does."

quote:

Martin will never win a Pulitzer or a National Book Award, but his skill as a crafter of narrative exceeds that of almost any literary novelist writing today.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://twitter.com/mijukusdreamer/status/987993475051208705

http://twitter.com/SmartAleck23/status/988685698419998720

http://twitter.com/lotusksj/status/988634505714974721

http://twitter.com/RavenclawRush/status/988462221763035136

http://twitter.com/ShoopyLoopy/status/988640140577751040

uhhhhhhhh checkmate??

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But among living writers, there is nobody who can even approach Gene Wolfe for brilliance of prose, clarity of thought, and depth in meaning.

CountFosco posted:

What struck me on the beach–and it struck me indeed, so that I staggered as at a blow–was that if the Eternal Principle had rested in that curved thorn I had carried about my neck across so many leagues, and if it now rested in the new thorn (perhaps the same thorn) I had only now put there, then it might rest in everything, in every thorn in every bush, in every drop of water in the sea. The thorn was a sacred Claw because all thorns were sacred Claws; the sand in my boots was sacred sand because it came from a beach of sacred sand. The cenobites treasured up the relics of the sannyasins because the sannyasins had approached the Pancreator. But everything had approached and even touched the Pancreator, because everything had dropped from his hand. Everything was a relic. All the world was a relic. I drew off my boots, that had traveled with me so far, and threw them into the waves that I might not walk shod on holy ground.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

"Fandom" is one of those concepts I am completely unable to understand at even a basic level

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It is the confluence of tribalism and capitalism.

This is a loving excellent definition. Stealing this for the future.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 24, 2018

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Fandom" is one of those concepts I am completely unable to understand at even a basic level
It is the confluence of tribalism and capitalism. Difficult to sympathize with, trivial to understand.

Edit:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is a loving excellent definition. Stealing this for the future.
It's not theft; it's a transformative work.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 24, 2018

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It is the confluence of tribalism and capitalism. Difficult to sympathize with, trivial to understand.

Edit:

It's not theft; it's a transformative work.

I've been re-reading David Shields lately so I'm inclined to deny that intellectual theft exists any longer.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ummmm but have you considered that Virgil is doing fan fiction of Homer?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

J_RBG posted:

Ummmm but have you considered that Virgil is doing fan fiction of Homer?

Technically a fan commission

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't remotely believe that fanfiction is theft; I was just being glib.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

If fanfiction was theft I'd have infinitely more respect for it, or if it resembled anonymous medieval vernacular romances and their endless variants

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

it's true, all my writing projects have stalled out the gate cuz i cant decide if my protag should have 16 or 17 dexterity >_<

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

like hewwo "paradise lost" is fanfic?????

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

anime avatar wrong again. amazing!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Who the hell is this person that that tweet has 18000 likes

fridge corn posted:

it's true, all my writing projects have stalled out the gate cuz i cant decide if my protag should have 16 or 17 dexterity >_<

A friend of mine had someone complain to her that he had to retool* an entire section of his novel because he needed to make sure a character had enough healing potions to save another character later in the story

*I say retool because he hadn't and never would actually write the thing, he just wanted to talk about his "ideas" like what kind of special powers the villain's armor has and describing entire lineages of his fictional fantasy empire

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
gene wolfe is pretty good tho, the 'shadow of the torturer' series was kind of like a gateway into real literature for me. after i read that all the other space and dragon books i was reading seemed really lame and i had to look elsewhere. sort of a precursor for getting into literature, for me anyway.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heath posted:

A friend of mine had someone complain to her that he had to retool* an entire section of his novel because he needed to make sure a character had enough healing potions to save another character later in the story

*I say retool because he hadn't and never would actually write the thing, he just wanted to talk about his "ideas" like what kind of special powers the villain's armor has and describing entire lineages of his fictional fantasy empire

Some TV Troper posted:

So, at the end of Issue One of my current story, the main character has been injured by various fights with Mooks and also a Giant Space Flea From Nowhere. He then gets into a fight with the Big Bad (of issue one). My problem is that the main character doesn't have enough health potions to recover enough health to win this last fight. Furthermore, it's absolutely vital for the plot of future Issues that he win this fight, because he gets his Yandere girlfriend as a Random Drop at the end of the fight, completing the Battle Couple. So how should I fix the discrepancy?

The solutions I've thought of so far are:

*Increase the main character's number of starting health potions (but I don't think his family could really afford more, he is impoverished, after all)
*Have him find a Deus Ex Machina Infinity Plus One Sword by random luck (but it'd have to be a one-time-use item or else it'd mess up the battles in future issues!)
*Maybe the main character can keep grinding on random Mooks longer and get more health potions first?

Any help is absolutely appreciated; this story is really close to my heart. :)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
that makes me angry on some primal level i don't understand. like a visceral kind of gut anger

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

derp posted:

gene wolfe is pretty good tho, the 'shadow of the torturer' series was kind of like a gateway into real literature for me. after i read that all the other space and dragon books i was reading seemed really lame and i had to look elsewhere. sort of a precursor for getting into literature, for me anyway.

I had a similar experience, where reading Vonnegut, Lem, and Atwood made me dissatisfied with the rest of the sci-fi I had been reading and pushed me toward literature. That's why I'll (try to) not worry about what my kids will read, in the event I have kids. I figure as long as they just keep reading they'll come around.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 24, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

so I'm gonna read some dubliners and the Amazon classics edition (free) is like 182 pages and the penguin edition (£2.99) is 368 pages or something. what gives. not sure i trust the amazon classics edition but why is the penguin version twice as long??

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think it has illustrations, an intro and some critical essays or notes. The free ones also tend to have formatting issues and even typos.

Edit: check if there is a copy with Kindle Matchbook. You may be able to get a physical and digital copy for around that same pricing.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 24, 2018

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

fridge corn posted:

so I'm gonna read some dubliners and the Amazon classics edition (free) is like 182 pages and the penguin edition (£2.99) is 368 pages or something. what gives. not sure i trust the amazon classics edition but why is the penguin version twice as long??

it's probably got a massive amount of footnotes. joyce books tend to. they can sometimes be really useful. and sometimes really pedantic and biographical and irrelevant. but imo probably worth £3.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, Dubliners is not in itself a 368-page book. The Amazon edition wouldn't be my choice, but I would look into a less copiously supplemented version; that much extra gunk tends to smother the actual text (e.g. loving Norton).

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 24, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
One does not have to read every endnote.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I guess it's not so bad if they're endnotes, but an excess of little numbers scattered across the text is still a distraction that I'd rather avoid within reason (speaking purely for myself).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

But then you will miss out on all the world-building

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I guess it's not so bad if they're endnotes, but an excess of little numbers scattered across the text is still a distraction that I'd rather avoid within reason (speaking purely for myself).

That's fair. My copy of something Russian glossed cabbage soup for me.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Also make sure to double-check the publisher info on anything that's in the public domain because it's really easy to accidentally buy a lovely print-on-demand edition that's printed on 8.5x11 paper and looks like a grade school workbook

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I have the Penguin Dubliners. The core text is 225 pages IIRC. The endnotes are fantastic, always factual, relevant, and concise (rather than indulging the editor's pet theories or interpreting the text for you). And with this book in particular, unless you're really up on the geography and culture of turn-of-the-century Dublin, I'd consider the endnotes more or less mandatory.

e:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

But then you will miss out on all the world-building

shut the gently caress up!!!!

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 24, 2018

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
double post

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Get Gabler & Hettche's.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Also make sure to double-check the publisher info on anything that's in the public domain because it's really easy to accidentally buy a lovely print-on-demand edition that's printed on 8.5x11 paper and looks like a grade school workbook

sometimes you luck out and they print it on paper the size of a megasized coloring book

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I have the Penguin Dubliners. The core text is 225 pages IIRC. The endnotes are fantastic, always factual, relevant, and concise (rather than indulging the editor's pet theories or interpreting the text for you). And with this book in particular, unless you're really up on the geography and culture of turn-of-the-century Dublin, I'd consider the endnotes more or less mandatory.

e:

shut the gently caress up!!!!

yeah i also have this version as well and it's good. spend the couple of $ to get something you know wasn't a lovely scan by someone.

also lmao at the edit

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I read the Norton critical edition which helped most especially with all the money references. I assume Penguin would too

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is something about genre writers where the further you go down the genre hole the more they claim they are secretly way better than "real writers"

similarly there's a thing called 'sturgeon's law', which is something that internet guys like to trot out to claim that most works in a given genre are bad, but the name and concept actually comes from a 50s sci fi man retorting at literary authors who claimed to be better than sci fi writers

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr. Squishy posted:

yeah but. it's joyce. he doesn't give a poo poo. he'll assume you have a working knowledge of irish culture, politics, religion, vernacular, education, philosophy, literature etc. etc. circa 1900 and if you don't then gently caress you!!!!!

the endnotes can be really good for that stuff.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I read the third policeman and didn't really get it. I liked the beginning and end though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I got the penguin edition and theres like 5 endnotes per page!!!!! but I know gently caress all about catholicism (and everything else he's on about apparently) so it's really helpful lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Endnotes and footnotes extremely ftw. In most cases they're more interesting than the actual book and I wish they published hyper-annotated versions of modern literature too