Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

Oh my loving God, HBS you're brilliant (or Kiva/Isildur):

Someone's the best.
SQUAWK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xarbala posted:

There's a lot of procgen pilots too, it's just the starters and the kickstarter backers that are pre-set.

Cool, cool.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

FunkMonkey posted:

Every anticipated Steam release gets the initial throwaway review barrage from the peanut gallery and usually evens out over next week or two. This is nothing new.

Furthermore, we all know that the majority of people sobbing over the pronouns will buy the game anyway. Sales talk.

This is not correct. This is a new-ish thing. You normally see the opposite, and then after the initial hype the scores lower slightly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway, this is the first game all year that I've bought new instead of cleaning up my backlog, it had better be good or else I'm a failure at life.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xarbala posted:

AC/2s are kind of mediocre, they do the damage of an ML but just at longer range. You're better off just maxing that armor tbh. Hell I'd drop the other AC/2 and upgrade one of the MLs to a Large Laser.

So is like every mech they give you massively underarmored from the start or what

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Man I really wish I had taken tomorrow off work. Going to have to hold out for playing in the evenings for just a few more days, then I have next week to devote to this game.

I haven't had any of the tech issues that a lot of people seem to be having. The animations have only really ever struck me as slow when there's a bit of lag at the end of the cinematic camera, I think when the game is loading the voice line that the NPC would actually say in response to scoring a hit. Beyond that, game looks and feels completely fine to me.

PoptartsNinja posted:

my secret hope is that we'll get a Crusader Kings style grand strategy game set in the BattleTech universe out of it.

brb i need a towel

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

OB_Juan posted:

Someone's the best.
SQUAWK!

What's the joke here

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Phi230 posted:

So is like every mech they give you massively underarmored from the start or what

A lot of the default builds either prioritize offense, or have a very mixed ranged weapon loadout that requires a lot of tonnage. A game where everyone specs armor first turns into a long, slow slugfest.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PoptartsNinja posted:

I really don't see Paradox doing this. They seem to "get it" in a way that other publishers probably wouldn't. With luck it will do well enough that they can buy the license from Microsoft, BattleTech is right up their alley and my secret hope is that we'll get a Crusader Kings style grand strategy game set in the BattleTech universe out of it.

If you use the whole tabletop franchise, RPG + the entire battletech line, you can run and manage your own periphy states as a metagame to fighting in space on the ground. Kinda halfway to that point

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Phi230 posted:

They're based off the TT default mechs. You don't have access to any of the neat weight saving poo poo in this time period so your mechs are going to be significantly undergunned compared to what you're used to in say MWO

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Drone posted:

The animations have only really ever struck me as slow when there's a bit of lag at the end of the cinematic camera, I think when the game is loading the voice line that the NPC would actually say in response to scoring a hit.

That seems to be what's happening - I don't know if the voice lines are generally all around the same length, but it seems to wait for the whole blurb to play before backing out of the cinematic view and relinquishing control.

Drone posted:

Beyond that, game looks and feels completely fine to me.

But yes, the graphics complaints are....weird.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

What's the joke here

"Squawk!" is the battle cry of the Mechwarrior Online goon platoon

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 24, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

What's the joke here

Squawk!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I'm not going to say you're wrong

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

What's the joke here

It's the battlecry of the MWO goonsquad - the Word of Lowtax. Just squawking when you pop into the game was sometimes enough to make the other team tilt. Good times!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Never not squawk.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

User already have a profile for battletech :thunk:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

It's the battlecry of the MWO goonsquad - the Word of Lowtax. Just squawking when you pop into the game was sometimes enough to make the other team tilt. Good times!

I miss when MWO was good and goon clan friends.

Squawk fellow warriors :unsmith:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

What's the joke here

The only sentient aliens that ever appeared in Battletech are a bunch of birds. The book they appeared in is terrible and widely disregarded, so they obviously became the goon favorite

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WMain00 posted:

I miss when MWO was good

lol when was this?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

lol when was this?

Early open beta, and then again for a month or three when community warfare came out.

Alternate answer - whenever you can get a full goon drop, and keep sync video running.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I said come in! posted:

lol when was this?

Between 10pm-2am when I was too high to care

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I said come in! posted:

lol when was this?

knocking over paul's mech.mp4

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

Early open beta, and then again for a month or three when community warfare came out.

Alternate answer - whenever you can get a full goon drop, and keep sync video running.

Pretty much both of these answers.

Goon clan open beta was a happy time.

...I might sign up to the event we're doing here now.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bubbacub posted:

The only sentient aliens that ever appeared in Battletech are a bunch of birds. The book they appeared in is terrible and widely disregarded, so they obviously became the goon favorite

Also, even if the book is canon, people grogs are so very much disturbed by this part. Squawking in MWO games has become a bannable offense after I while I think?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I said come in! posted:

lol when was this?

The early days of beta, before the dark times, before lights were restricted due to buggy netcode, before collisions were taken out because of Dragon bowling, before Ghost Heat.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

Also, even if the book is canon, people grogs are so very much disturbed by this part. Squawking in MWO games has become a bannable offense after I while I think?

No that was telling people how to enter third person mode.

Mentioning Transverse also gets you banned from the forums.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Unscientific, but there are currently almost 30K people playing Battletech right now and it's still worktime for a lot of us. Shadowrun Returns peaked at about 24K concurrent, Dragonfall 2.5K, Hong Kong 7.2K.

Game will be fine.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KDdidit posted:

Yeah, what's with the first 3 year later mission? Did the rest of my lance abandon me? I walk anywhere near the target and get sensor locked and LRM'd to death.

I'm terrible at the game and/or missing something obvious, but is it just me against 2 mechs and a bunch of far away turrets I'm supposed to defeat? I feel like there was a mission briefing I totally skipped telling me how to go about this.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Like all HBS games, this would've benefit from more time in the oven. I just lost a mission because my fire prompt disappeared despite no heat/damage and a valid firing arc.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Mordja posted:

Anyway, not scientific, but there are currently almost 30K people playing Battletech right now and it's still worktime for a lot of us. Shadowrun Returns peaked at about 24K concurrent, Dragonfall 2.5K, Hong Kong 7.2K.

Game will be fine.

Unless there's a typo there, why is the best game in the series the least played?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Nickiepoo posted:

No that was telling people how to enter third person mode.

Mentioning Transverse also gets you banned from the forums.

Oh yeah sorry, it was the Alf+F3F4 joke that was bannable.

Speaking of more important things, positive Steam reviews are now up to 55%, from a low 40% an hour ago.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nickiepoo posted:

Unless there's a typo there, why is the best game in the series the least played?

:shrug:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

quote:

I'm also not a fan of identity politics being thrown into the game, as a heavy kickstarter backer I will think twice in the future as I would of rather had ultra-wide support than what kind of snowflake.

quote:

The character creator is extremely limited and lazily done, missing standard features that have been in games for decades now. You can't even pick your gender!
It's hard to be immersed in a game when even your gender is ambiguous, and the most badass look you can put on your mechwarriors face is faint surprise or confused bemusement.

quote:

They have a "Gender neutral" pronoun option. "He, She and They". Well They can ♥♥♥♥ off. Also got banned on the forums for mentioning it.

quote:

Just want to be sure I have this straight. No high resoultion spport or wide monitor support, but plety of time to code in transgender pronouns and head graphics? I mean really? You guys sat around and made a decision to go with three sexes..but not high resolution.

quote:

Gender neutral pronouns in a BattleTech game?

Come on....lol.

That was strike number one.

quote:

No time to add ultrawide support to the game but plenty of time to add mentally ill trannies!

quote:

Got instantly banned from the BATTLETECH forums by the devs for criticising the neutral gender pronouns.

Given reason: 3 Warnings.

Reality: No warnings.

Game's alright but shame about the tyrannical censorship.

And my personal favorite:

quote:

My nu-transsensual ZETA-8 genderfluid heteromollusc Timber Wolf did not agree with the bad graphics, stale hyper simplified gameplay, lack of costumization and obvious paradox tier DLC to come.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do I repair mechs in storage? I salvaged a Locust, it's in storage and unfieldable. I have no options to send it to a bay, or repair, or refit. Do I have to collect the equipment for a standard loadout for that mech in order to make it fieldable? Where do I check the standard loadout?

E: I just noticed I have 1/3 parts thing. I need to get 2 more salvaged Locusts to make one?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I can't decide whether to laugh or shake my head at these people.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

canepazzo posted:

I like that it's BATTLETECH and not just Battletech on Steam like normal. It sums up my mood when I launch it. LET'S PLAY SOME BATTLETECH!!!
I rather enjoy that as well.

Anyway, after finishing the prologue I can't say the pacing really bothers me so far. Haven't encountered any serious animation delays, and all the actions complete quickly enough not to grow impatient (yet, at any rate). Performance seems a bit iffy though (both in terms of framerate and loading times), all things considered. Some further optimisation might help there. Other than that, I only have one major complaint at this stage and that's the fact that the computer doesn't sound like it does in MW2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FxVPdk0IN0

Oh yeah talk indifferently to me about explosions and overheating and unggggh

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Nickiepoo posted:

Concurrent plays. I think a lot of people knew Dragonfall would be good but waited for various sales, so I'm sure the numbers were fine overall.

canepazzo posted:

How do I repair mechs in storage? I salvaged a Locust, it's in storage and unfieldable. I have no options to send it to a bay, or repair, or refit. Do I have to collect the equipment for a standard loadout for that mech in order to make it fieldable? Where do I check the standard loadout?

3 salvage parts = 1 locust, so you'll need to salvage two more bits of that same model of locust.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is the tactics guide in OP still relevant?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I browsed all the reviews and less than 10% have anything to do with the gender stuff. Almost all of them mention the pacing, graphical issues, and stability.

Just blaming the negativity on gamergaters is not being objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

User already have a profile for battletech :thunk:

I fixed it by getting out of the game and starting it back up and logging in. Think the server is getting smashed