Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Scrublord Prime posted:

Materials can be broken up into groups:

Elemental crysts / Crafting mats / Raid crafting mats / Ability crysts / Awakening mats / 6* awakening mats / raid awakening mats (FF14 and Ariana Grande only I think?)

The regular crysts are expendable, you can just set your friend gift to that and wait a day or two if you need them. Megacrysts aren't expendable in that way and I'd suggest keeping them. Regular crafting mats you get piles of like Life Orbs and Thickened Hides but you can also use them to craft for the crafting trophies. Potions and Leather Whips are good for that. Sell excess stacks of most of these, the stuff you don't want to sell (Chromatic Ooze, Elemental Tears, Gold Ore) you probably won't have stacks of. Lumber and Copper Ore are generally exploration-only mats but you won't need them either. I think Shirukens are 1 Copper Ore too for crafting poo poo for the trophy. For raid crafting materials look up what raid they're from and craft/sell them. I think the FF15 raid mats are at least labeled as such. You can sell most awakening mat stacks. Beast Meat and Pearls of Wisdom can be bought from stores if you're desperate. Most aren't that hard to get except Sacred/Holy Crystals. Esper Shards are only used for FP unit awakening too.

Don't sell 6* awakening mats unless you got stacks of Divine Crystals or something, don't sell ability crysts too. It is worth investing in your material cap some though, if you do run the macro overnight or otherwise can't babysit it you don't want it hitting the materials cap. I've got 215 and it runs well, but I don't check my raid crafting mats often either so you can run lower than that.

Thanks for this. Helps a lot at figuring out a lot of what this stuff actually does. Kind of annoying the item description doesn’t just say what it’s used for. Only thing I’m not really gleaning from this is what I should actually still sell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Fire / Ice / Lightning / Water / Earth / Wind / Ligh / Dark Crysts can be safely sold since if you need them it's easy to replenish them via setting it as your friend item. The only big thing they're used for is ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR/Evo MAG+10% materia.

Megacrysts are valuable, mainly for crafting Hero Rings and their upgraded forms. Don't sell them.

Most of the crafting mats are safe to sell excess stacks of. Stuff like Life Orbs, Gaia Tears, Thickened Hide, etc. Some keepers:
Farplane Soul: Another mat needed for those Stat+10% Materia. The first town in Paladia sells them but until then it's probably better to use Farplane Souls to craft those +10%s. If not for your main team then for expedition units.

Life Orbs, Thickened Hide: Use these to craft Potions and Leather Whips. Once you craft 1000 equipment and items you'll get two trophies worth 500 lapis each. There's also one for materia/abilities but idr what was easy to craft for it. Once you get those trophies feel free to sell these too.

Chromatic Ooze: A good expedition (What's Cooking or something like that) uses 40x of these and you don't get them via Earth Shrine grinding. The expedition is 12hr and gives a random giantcryst so it's worth holding on to these.

Otherworldly Bone: Like Chromatic Ooze except the expedition is mediocre. You probably won't have excess stacks of these to sell anyways.

Elemental Tears & Spellsilk & Gold Ore: Valuable for a few good crafts, hold on to these.

Screamroots: Craft these with Fine Alcrysts into magic keys instead.

Copper Ore: Craft these into Shurikens for the 1000 equipment crafts trophy then sell.

Otherwise it isn't worth having big stacks of most of these. Like the Corpse Fly for example is good for crafting a small handful of Undead Killers and nothing else.

Then there's raid materials. Sell old ones, use existing ones to craft good stuff then sell. You'll have to look these up. They're after the ores.

After the ability crysts, alcrysts, and fine alcrysts are awakening materials. You can sell excess stacks of basically everything here, but I'd suggest staying above half a stack (x99) for most so you aren't short if you awaken a 3-4* character. Some stuff is rare enough that you don't get excess stacks (Hard Rock to Bizarre Box, those are a bit rarer but not 6* awakening rare). Don't sell Talmonites of Life, they're also used for a good expedition (HP Pot). You can sell all your Esper Shards as they are only used for friend point unit awakening (those 1-2*s).

It might be worth checking the Earth Shrine drop list so you know what you're going to have piles of after a night of macroing. If you're going to start and you're short on space it's worth selling what the Earth Shrine drops because you'll have fresh stacks once you're done.

e: weird phrasing on awakening mats

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 24, 2018

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've got over 200 of some 6* mats. I usually sell off extras because 199 of each is plenty. I could evolve a dozen random units (including TTerra #2 since i'll need her for 7* fodder) but :effort:

You don’t have to level/awaken units to break them down for a 7* awakening material

Ugato fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 24, 2018

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So pretty much hold on to everything then, until I have everything crafted or no use for the crafting of whatever, and never any awakening materials. Can I pay attention to the star rating for any indication of what type of item it is? And where do I pick up decent crafting recipes?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Can I pay attention to the star rating for any indication of what type of item it is?

Not really. You can't sort by stars either.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bob NewSCART posted:

And where do I pick up decent crafting recipes?

The best crafting recipes are probably the killer ones which are obtained from Silver Chests in explorations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Thanks again for being super helpful, dudes

What should my team look like out of this selection?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
For non specialized fights, I'd go with VoE (tank), CG Fina (heal), Rikku (Support), Minfilia (Buffs), VoD (dps), and bring a friend VoD, Orlandeau, or Fryevia to chain with.

You're gonna want to enhance Minfilia's Assault and Guard orders. 80% all stats boost is pretty decent.

You could also replace Rikku with Ashe for some magic DPS. For most content that'll probably be fine, but for your first few trials I'd consider taking Rikku for the support, she's a godsend when used right.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

So pretty much hold on to everything then, until I have everything crafted or no use for the crafting of whatever, and never any awakening materials. Can I pay attention to the star rating for any indication of what type of item it is? And where do I pick up decent crafting recipes?

Sell excess awakening materials, I phrased my post poorly with that. 100-199 is a safe buffer but above that sell it, and sell all esper shards since you'll get a ton of those in the Earth Shrine and they're only used for awakening FP units.

PaybackJack posted:

The best crafting recipes are probably the killer ones which are obtained from Silver Chests in explorations.

In addition to the killers the Stat+10%s are good too for filling in materia slots for expedition units. It's worth getting 4 Evo Mag+10%s to make summon kills easier but since they don't contribute to expeditions you only need those 4. Also Mage's Habit for more expedition fodder.

Unsui Clothes are also good since they have decent stats and 50% water resistance. There's Ice Armor & Shield, Flame Mail & Shield, and Lightning Shield are good for their +50% Fire/Ice resistance, getting both on a character can get 'em to 100% resistance when that comes up. Raikiri stats are mediocre but it's lightning elemental which can help in a pinch when needed.

Then there's the Hero's Ring which you get via trophy milestones. They're the main megacryst sinks and decent gear until you can get some good event or TM accessories.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Thanks again for being super helpful, dudes

What should my team look like out of this selection?

General purpose:
CG Fina (heal/damage)
Dark Veritas (DR chain, so works with fryevia, orlandu, and others)
Earth Veritas (if you need a tank)
Rikku (top tier support, especially with her TM)
Minifilia (buffs)

Those Amelias can be good for AOE chaining and will destroy in the arena due to their AOE Stop via Ricochet.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
any word on if 7* knight delita is any good? daily draw today landed me a second.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

new kind of cat posted:

any word on if 7* knight delita is any good? daily draw today landed me a second.

His LB is really good. 74% ATK/MAG break, which his TMR equip skill adds DEF break and 100% Lightning debuff, and makes the total damage 13x. His LB only costs 20 and he has innate 50% high tide and auto limit 2. Build him right and he'll be using his LB every turn.

He's fairly well rated but some what limited in that he's pretty married to the LB build.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What about regular Delita 7*? Does Zarg have a 7* too or no?

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What about regular Delita 7*? Does Zarg have a 7* too or no?

Zarg is a global exclusive so we don't have an data on what his 7* may look like.

Delita becomes more a break master, gets an ATK and MAG break and gets an ability that allows him to use two breaks a turn. He also gets a dark chaining move.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Zara is global exclusive so no idea what his 7* will be. He’s not limited so he’s going to have one.

Delita is bottom of the barrel basically. He becomes a not great finisher as well as being able to dual cast his breaks.

E: beaten, though his chaining move is kind of a joke at 6 total hits

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
He also gets one of the worst Super TMs of the bunch, to the tune of "Start fights with an 80% Atk buff but lose 1000HP every turn".

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

HGH posted:

He also gets one of the worst Super TMs of the bunch, to the tune of "Start fights with an 80% Atk buff but lose 1000HP every turn".

Wow, someone at Gumi must REALLY hate Delita cause that's a completely unredeemable skill.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Oh hey, a bundle with a 5* ex ticket for the price the original 5* summon should have been. Sure, I'll bite.

My fourth Noctis

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Honestly 7* have me a bit too weary and demoralized of the game at this point. Especially since the 2 I want are some of the lowest ranked (with one probably not even coming out here), and the way to get 7* and their TM's is total bullshit to begin with.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Skyridge posted:

Oh hey, a bundle with a 5* ex ticket for the price the original 5* summon should have been. Sure, I'll bite.

My fourth Noctis

At least you got an STMR out of it, even if its junk. Mine was my 1st queen :negative:

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

What I would/would have liked: Fryevia, Cloud, Beatrix, Eiko, any of the Lunar New Year rainbows

What I get: 4 Noctis, 3 Ayaka, 2 Zargabaath, 2 Prishe, 2 Luneth...

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
3rd Tidus here. Not sure how great his stmr is. I’m leaning toward pretty good since it’s the highest +esper stats I remember and 150% lb gen is a lot. Plus it can just go on anyone who has a good LB. Might even help push Noctis over into just being my bard for me since he can also simultaneously fill the role of provoke/dodge tank or st finisher.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So, we're getting the Dragon Warrior characters. Looking at the wiki, that Liquid Metal Slime doesn't have any sort of Provoke or Draw Attacks... does enhancing its abilities do anything to help?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
All the DQ characters as they currently are are terrible because of months of powercreep and this banner is a hard pass. LMS is the only barely usable one for it's gimmick of super high DEF/SPR but low HP.... but it's a triple 4* banner, and anyone who went for Tilith and didn't get her knows the horror that can be. His TM is also very good, 49 Def Light Shield with a Ribbon stapled to it.

That being said, there's a very real possibility that they give them all Globex Buffs, because theyre not going to make any money releasing them as is and hoping for notalgia. Depending on what those are the banner could be good.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah they are probably getting some buffs because the characters are incredibly underwhelming right now. Its not months of power creep, more like a year.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Looking closer, the Liquid Metal Slime's Provoke is tied to its Limit Break. I always miss the Limit Breaks when I skim a new unit's abilities, need to work on that.

Leveling it up doesn't improve it (not sure how you would improve 100% provoke and 100% status resistance without putting in more abilities) but reduces the cost to 8 crystals when maxed.

Several of the units do appear to have some kind of global bonus.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The new DQM KM event has 1 +100% Unit: Dragonlord. Orochi, Liquid Metal Slime, and Killing Machine are +75%. Golem & Robin' 'Ood are +50%.

And then there's Slime. He's +20%. However, he's not listed for the Banner. No idea how you get him.

Dragonlord's Global Upgrades are Kafrizzle, which looks to be the Fire spell, and MAG +80%. He's the 5* Base.
Orochi's Global Upgrades are Shock And Claw (Unmitigated damage to 1 enemy & chance to stop), and ATK +60%. He's a 4* Base, 6* Max.
Killing Machine's Global Upgrade is its TMR, Trauminator Sword (ATK +114, Enable Machine Killer, Boost Physical Damage vs Machine Monsters). It's a 4* Base, 5* Max.
Liquid Metal Slime has no Global Upgrades. It's a 4* Base, 5* Max.
Golem has no Global Upgrades. It's a 3* Base, 5* Max.
Robin' 'Ood has no Global Upgrades. It's a 3* Base, 5* Max.

On May 3, the DQ Units will get Ability Awakenings. No actual info about them is listed.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 25, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
An earlier message said that you get a Slime for just logging in each day.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
If those weapons aren’t 100,000 I could see grabbing a few. Namely Eldric’s Sword and the Crow’s Claws.

Other than that no interest.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kheldarn posted:

The new DQM KM event has 1 +100% Unit: Dragonlord. Orochi, Liquid Metal Slime, and Killing Machine are +75%. Golem & Robin' 'Ood are +50%.

And then there's Slime. He's +20%. However, he's not listed for the Banner. No idea how you get him.

Dragonlord's Global Upgrades are Kafrizzle, which looks to be the Fire spell, and MAG +80%. He's the 5* Base.
Orochi's Global Upgrades are Shock And Claw (Unmitigated damage to 1 enemy & chance to stop), and ATK +60%. He's a 4* Base, 6* Max.
Killing Machine's Global Upgrade is its TMR, Trauminator Sword (ATK +114, Enable Machine Killer, Boost Physical Damage vs Machine Monsters). It's a 4* Base, 5* Max.
Liquid Metal Slime has no Global Upgrades. It's a 4* Base, 5* Max.
Golem has no Global Upgrades. It's a 3* Base, 5* Max.
Robin' 'Ood has no Global Upgrades. It's a 3* Base, 5* Max.

On May 3, the DQ Units will get Ability Awakenings. No actual info about them is listed.

For Dragonlord, all you need to know is Kafrizzle +2 is a 2100% damage fire spell with a 200MP cost in Japan.

e: And Hyou has access to a 100% fire imperil.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I don't think I really needed a third Fryevia, but here we are.

Maybe she'll have a really good STMR.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:getin:

(Sorry for the lovely screengrabs from youtube, better pics are probably coming.)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

(Sorry for the lovely screengrabs from youtube, better pics are probably coming.)

What does that say about Jecht? How cool and good he is, I hope?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Cautery sword is absolutely worth getting. The trident is also likely worth getting. Weapons with built in killers are always worth at least a look. If you had a weapon with 0 atk and a relevant killer it would be an upgrade over almost any weapon unless you were stacking several sources of killers (or it was a bad element choice).

E: here’s what google translate says

quote:

5 to 7 Type: Attack A physical attacker with both a hand and a dual sword, fit for both. Especially master Tida and attack ability with good compatibility. w master the ability and boasts high fire power because T ability becomes usable after using specific abilities. LB: Shockject shoot Phantom damage + 2 turns "haste x 3" can be used throughout the enemy (power at the time of LvMAX 1600)
His LB is Jecht Shot

And Auron:

quote:

May 1 - FFX Unit | Aaron ★ 5 to 7 Type: Attack Hands with a high debuff capability Hold both hand attack physical attacker W Ability to acquire various abilities and debuffability corresponding to abilities. Regardless of the number of enemies, they possess abilities that greatly lower their abilities. LB: Physical defense neglect Damage + Fire wind resistance tolerance down to the entire fighter's defense (LvMAX hour power 900 900 Physical defense 50% Ignored object tolerance 100% down)

Ugato fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 25, 2018

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody said in discord that Jecht has good synergy with Tidus and should chain.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Cool, I’m saving all my tickets for Auron and Jecht in like a year

e: Braska better be the 4-star

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Anyone that can toss me a friend code for a dude that can solo garuda? I already have PDQ and ninjaDs noctises(thanks to you two)

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Whelp I have a year to get myself into a position where I have the disposable income to whale hard on my boys.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Welp. I guess I'm never spending any more tickets or Lapis beyond Daily Half Summons until these two come out.

:getin::human being: indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Bob NewSCART posted:

Anyone that can toss me a friend code for a dude that can solo garuda? I already have PDQ and ninjaDs noctises(thanks to you two)

Most of the Fryevias can two-turn kill her pretty easily. With breaks and buffs mine can do 90% in a single turn by herself. If you have any way of guaranteeing she stays alive it should be trivial.

Honestly, though, you have DV. If you haven’t leveled him already, pull on the raid banner and dump all your cactuars into him. Just chaining with any Fryevia - even if your DV has nothing on - the damage bonus should be close to enough for killing Garuda in one turn. Throw up your atk buff from Fina too because why not. Hopefully you picked up the DW materia from the ffx event because that should make it pretty easy to guarantee a one-shot every time.

E: yeah I had a dv to test with. No breaks, no buffs: Literally naked, got her to 40%. DW with Genji and and a trash greatsword (and nothing else) killed her easily. Never underestimate the power of chaining.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 25, 2018

• Locked thread