Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a more touring oriented Hayabusa-lite, basically. Or a sportier goldwing. Do either of those sound tempting to you? If so you will like the blackbird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I’ve never ridden something quite as chunky or in the sport tourer range so I’m honestly not so sure. Everyone seems to gush about how well put together they are and reliable etc etc but I’m not sure if that’s just all code for a bit dull.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Quite A Tool posted:

Anyone ever had a CBR 1100XX? This is looking pretty tempting if I can knock a few hundo off the asking price. It’d also be a lot easier for my wife to ride with me than some nutty race replica as she’s taller than me by a bit.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/d/1999-honda-cbr1100xx-blackbird/6564545056.html

I own a 2002. I won't give it up. You'll probably need to sort out the R/R with a solid state unit, redo the contacts and you'll definitely want to ditch the stock headers and pipes for a full Akropovic system. The stock unit weighs a metric fuckton.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 24, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

'Sportier goldwing' is pretty devastatingly harsh IMO; big fat powerful VFR is closer to the mark. They're an excellent bike and only boring to look at.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

boring to look at.

You take that back. It's timeless and sleek. :colbert:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Not gonna lie the headlight is atrocious. I’ll probably hit the guy up soon and see if I can check it out. Whenever I’m looking at bikes my wife has been more and more “How do you think it will be two up?” so this one is heading to the top of the list for now.

I’m also creeping on a couple of Tuonos. Really digging on the ‘09. It’s a tough back and forth tug for me between wanting to destroy some mountain roads and be able to cruise around WA/OR with her being relatively comfortable because lol at the pillion seat on bikes like the Tuono.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/d/2007-aprilia-tuono-1000r/6564218661.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/d/aprilia/6558501704.html

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 24, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tuono and passengers are uncomfortable in the same sentence let alone IRL.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
The Tuono pillion seat is literally only useful for riding up to an underage college party and taking home whatever female or small male is interested in exploring your Italian tinkerers hands with you while listening to lovely industrial music.

Edit: The bike itself is great! Industrial Music and all.

Edit 2: Also, you need to have a roommate with an SV650 to bring them back to their car in the morning because they will have no interest in getting on the Tuono 2up while sober and in daylight.

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 24, 2018

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

TheFonz posted:

The Tuono pillion seat is literally only useful for riding up to an underage college party and taking home whatever female or small male is interested in exploring your Italian tinkerers hands with you while listening to lovely industrial music.

Edit: The bike itself is great! Industrial Music and all.

Edit 2: Also, you need to have a roommate with an SV650 to bring them back to their car in the morning because they will have no interest in getting on the Tuono 2up while sober and in daylight.

First gen tuono pillion seat is quite decent.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I've ridden one a couple of times, including for a full day ride on twisty roads last spring. It's more stable and heavier than a real sportbike, but it's still a pretty darn sporty bike. The motor is amazing, the bike is fast as gently caress, and it does it in such a low key fashion it's very easy to go 90 and not realize it. I owned a couple of gen V VFRs which were great with a pillion, and I'd bet the blackbird would be even better. I actually rode a blackbird and a busa on the same day, and they're very similar bikes except the busa is definitely a step sportier than the blackbird.

For higher speed cornering, I'd bet the Honda's stability + fairing would be at least as confidence inspiring as the Tuono.

n8r fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 25, 2018

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

With the nice weather I got my bike back on the road this week and am having the seasonal "oh right, I forgot motorcycles are awesome!" feeling after not riding all winter. I've been riding my 2006 Ninja 650R for 5 years now and am getting the upgrade itch. It's been a great bike and I overall like it a lot. Dead reliable, pretty good flat power band, and decent fairings for highway cruising. But it was my first bike and doesn't really stir the soul anymore, ya know? I mostly do spirited commuting, taking the long way home, and occasional weekend rides/short trips.

As much as my reptile brain desires something like a Daytona 675 or S1000RR, my practical human brain is leaning toward something more street fighter/sport touring. I've been browsing craigslist etc and trying to get a feel for what's out there and a good deal these days. My budget is kind of flexible, but let's say definitely under $10k, preferably more like $5-6k but can stretch for something really worth it. I'd also like to lean toward something relatively new (but not new-new), not looking for an old project right now. Unfortunately the new S1000R is probably out of the budget.

Based on some listing and reading, some ideas I've got bouncing around:

2013-2016 Triumph Street Triple
Pros:
- Dat triple tho
- ABS

Cons:
- Triumph quality
- No TC

2015ish Yamaha FZ-09
Pros:
- Dat triple tho
- Yamaha quality

Cons:
- No ABS or TC
- Allegedly twitchy throttle that doesn't pair well with its lower-end suspension

2014-2015 Honda Interceptor ("VFR 800")
Pros:
- Get to be pedantic about actually having a V4 engine
- Fairings for highway cruising, overall comfort probably good
- ABS+TC on some models

Cons:
- Probably all-around softer than a street fighter
- Seems like these aren't that common, but a few pop up for cheap here and there. Parts/service availability a problem?

What other stuff should I be considering? I might try to get out and test ride some stuff here in the next couple weeks to get a better feel for what I'm looking for.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
As an FZ-09 owner, I can vouch for that insane motor. My bike has a reflashed ECU and upgraded suspension front and rear, tho, so I can't really speak to that part of it. If you manage to find a newer one, they did eventually fix the suspension and the fuelling, and add ABS and TC. The shock is supposed to be an easy upgrade if you buy a cheap like...ZX6 or ZX10 IDR.

Where do you live?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guinness posted:

Cons:

- Seems like these aren't that common, but a few pop up for cheap here and there. Parts/service availability a problem?

I'm pretty sure this is because they're decently popular and few people who bought one have gotten bored yet.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I should amend my thing to say that if you live in a dense urban area, the FZ is less fun. It's amazing on country roads and highways and racetracks, but on like 30 mph city streets you will be holding it back constantly. The bike wants to go 80 or faster. It always wants to go faster and it's really good at it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm pretty sure this is because they're decently popular and few people who bought one have gotten bored yet.

They don't sell well in the US (MSRP is high and it's kind of a niche bike). You can find a bunch of 2015s new on the floor for ~$3500 off list price.

It's a Honda, parts and service availability aren't an issue.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

They don't sell well in the US (MSRP is high and it's kind of a niche bike). You can find a bunch of 2015s new on the floor for ~$3500 off list price.

It's a Honda, parts and service availability aren't an issue.

Good to know it's not some oddball thing that will never find parts.

I saw a mint condition, lightly used deluxe 2015 model pop up the other day for like $7k asking. Seems like an insane deal for something that MSRPed for almost $13k just a couple of years ago. If it's still available I might check it out. It may be a niche bike, but I kind of feel like I might be that niche.

captainOrbital posted:

As an FZ-09 owner, I can vouch for that insane motor. My bike has a reflashed ECU and upgraded suspension front and rear, tho, so I can't really speak to that part of it. If you manage to find a newer one, they did eventually fix the suspension and the fuelling, and add ABS and TC. The shock is supposed to be an easy upgrade if you buy a cheap like...ZX6 or ZX10 IDR.

Where do you live?

I'm in Seattle, in the city, so I do spend a fair amount of time on ~30mph roads. But I also commute on the interstate at 70+ mph so something that can comfortably slab it up is appealing as well.

I did read that the 2015+ FZ-09 got an updated ECU with a new throttle mapping that is supposed to be better. And I'm not strictly opposed to upgrading the suspension, but if there's an alternative bike where that's not necessary then I'd prefer that.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 25, 2018

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guinness posted:

Good to know it's not some oddball thing that will never find parts.

I saw a mint condition, lightly used deluxe 2015 model pop up the other day for like $7k asking. Seems like an insane deal for something that MSRPed for almost $13k just a couple of years ago. If it's still available I might check it out. It may be a niche bike, but I kind of feel like I might be that niche.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2014-honda-vfr-800/6566495647.html
i have seen a few like this. Probably wont sell at that price, but is pretty good value. I cant help but notice how crooked he applied the tank protector.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 25, 2018

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fauxtool posted:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2014-honda-vfr-800/6566495647.html
i have seen a few like this. Probably wont sell at that price, but is pretty good value. I cant help but notice how crooked he applied the tank protector.

I bet it looks perfectly straight when on the sidestand lol. That or there is a tank scratch way off of center they wanted to hide.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm pretty sure a Street Triple will be my next bike, but some of the years desperately need a tail tidy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At least it doesn’t have the hideous first gen headlights

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

At least it doesn’t have the hideous first gen headlights

if those are the non-ugly ones, the first gen must have been a terrible monster

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

if those are the non-ugly ones, the first gen must have been a terrible monster

Hmm, where have i seen that design before? Oh yeah, every forklift ever made

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean, I get that the look they were going for was "crashed sportbike with bare minimum done to make it legal again" but they didn't have to emulate it so perfectly. The lights and gauges just hanging out there is so weird.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Guinness posted:

2013-2016 Triumph Street Triple

2015ish Yamaha FZ-09

I was looking at all of the same bikes two months ago until a deal came up on a 2015 street triple r. I love this bike. It's both good and bad at how much confidence it inspires. TC isn't that big of a concern because of the smooth throttle and predictable power. There is enough bike there for things to get out of hand, but it's so refined that it's unlikely to bite you in the rear end. It's one of the best bikes I've ridden of the box and I doubt I'll be doing any upgrades beyond a windscreen and protection. It's a smile machine for sure.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm pretty sure a Street Triple will be my next bike, but some of the years desperately need a tail tidy
I see a lot of new bikes that have those absolutely hideous licence plate holders. I'm guessing it's regulation somewhere that the license plate has to be behind the rear wheel or something?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

MomJeans420 posted:

Lmao, between that and the granny-reading-glasses headlights, this bike makes a KLR look sexy.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Lmao, between that and the granny-reading-glasses headlights, this bike makes a KLR look sexy.

Takes all kinds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4wuH9pSSRo

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

I see a lot of new bikes that have those absolutely hideous licence plate holders. I'm guessing it's regulation somewhere that the license plate has to be behind the rear wheel or something?

That’s exactly it, yeah. I’m generally lame and leave them on to keep the rain spray off my back, but the weird scorpion stinger Triumph put on doesn’t even manage that.

The only piece that I think looks truly bad is the instrument panel just hanging out above the lights, but the flyscreen fixes that problem.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm not a big fan of the Gen1 headlights but the new bug eye ones look god awful. A dual round headlight conversion looks slightly better to me. They make a single headlight conversion too but something about it isn't quite right.

They're both stupid expensive for what they are though

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I wish you hadn't posted those dual round lights because now I'm going to have to spend $1100 on lights whenever I buy a street triple. That seems insanely expensive, but adaptive lights sound nice to have.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm not a big fan of the Gen1 headlights but the new bug eye ones look god awful. A dual round headlight conversion looks slightly better to me. They make a single headlight conversion too but something about it isn't quite right.

They're both stupid expensive for what they are though

that cyclops is perfect and the first thing i'd buy for a striple

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hell yeah that single headlight conversion totally transforms the bike's look, in a good way.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
You can get that model of adaptive LED by itself from Amazon and get a "Bring Your Own Light" version of the Motodemic mod. It saved me a couple hundred on my XSR LED. (Also if you are looking at mid sized triples, you can get brand new leftover '16 XSRs for just over 6k out the door. I'm pretty happy with mine so far.)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Those motodemic dudes are insane. How is this poo poo that expensive?

The obv solution to striple headlight woes is to get the stock headlight/fairing assembly from a DRZ.

A yellow one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Guinness posted:

Hell yeah that single headlight conversion totally transforms the bike's look, in a good way.

single round headlamp is by far the best motorcycle headlamp design. dual round headlamps is second-best. all the rest are leagues below

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Tie for first?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Why the gently caress would you spend 400-1000 on a headlight when you can achieve the exact same thing with a $75 morimoto led, a $30 emgo bucket, and $10 worth of t-bolt clamps? It looks exactly the same as my sv’s headlight setup.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I was wondering the same thing. My guess is that this kit is plug and pray and is wired specifically for the striple. Not that it makes it less of a ripoff just that some people really REALLY don't want the "hassle" of sourcing the light and bucket, sourcing mounts, rewiring, etc.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My assembly was plug and play as well. I’m glad I know where to get all the stuff, cause that’s the first thing I’d be doing to a striple too. To hell with those oem lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wouldn't call single square leagues below. More like the thinking man's single round.