Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

topiKal posted:

Thanks for watching, love yall. Can't believe this took almost a year and a half.

There will be a few more eps at least. As promised we are going to play through the currently available DLC. Once we finish that we're probably done, I can't see myself coming back to this turd every time a DLC releases.

Anyway, we'll try to get another recording session in soonish.

Oh hell, I don't think there is enough liquor in the world to prepare you for the raw cringe of Episode Prompto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

so something i've been wondering. when they start talking about how nights are lasting longer and has been for some time, is that in anyway reflected by the actual day/night cycle? cause it would be kind of neat if they had slowly had the length of the night cycle increase as you hit story checkpoints before the reveal of what was going on

As Bruceski said, yes there is. It kind of starts slow and maybe subconsciously noticeable when you're in boy band road trip mode.

Then when they lay it out explicitly on the train, the of course gently caress it up. Would have been neat if when you were fighting demons on the train and thinking "this tunnel will eventually end, we know its still light out, so once I see daylight the demons will all die! Wait, why is it dark out at 3pm? now the demons will eat me!" Then Leviathan's saving you would mean something. Instead somehow the demons who shouldn't be out in daylight are out in daylight and the neat set piece is just screwed up by confusion.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm here for it because I still don't know what the gently caress happened and apparently the DLC fills in some of the plot gaps? I guess?

It fills in the painfully artificial gaps the developers themselves created by the characters walking off the screen, having some ridiculous event happen to them then refuse to speak of it again in the main game (Ignis' sight, Gladiolus' scars, Prompto being the world's worst clone trooper).

Just don't expect those answers to make a whole lot of sense or rise above the level of writing that we have seen so far. If anything, I would say two out of three of the episodes are even worse.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

See, I can understand making DLC for backstories of those characters. Like if Ignis was blind before where the game starts, telling that story in a separate chapter. That would make actual sense.

But a major life-changing character arc that alters your own game-play in the middle of the game? And in turn making it so none of the other characters really give a poo poo because then it would have actually had to be addressed? It's utterly baffling.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
When you know you have a poo poo game, you have to double down on gouging the people stupid enough to buy it anyway. Just like there are people of no discerning taste or sense of quality who think Ubisoft or EA write compelling stories, there are sickies out there who can't get enough of these loving mannequins as long as the Final Fantasy brand is attached to it.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Kudos for Kuvo pulling a Brad Shoemaker for the final video, that must've sucked.

Final Fantasy XV : Royale with cheese edition.

Thanks for the LP guyzzos, congrats on surviving til the end.

BORN TO DIE
INSOMNIA IS A gently caress
Kill em all 2016
I am cup noodle man
410,757,864,530 DEAD DEMONS

game bad

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

coleman francis posted:

BORN TO DIE
INSOMNIA IS A gently caress
Kill em all 2016
I am cup noodle man
410,757,864,530 DEAD DEMONS
The bolded part was literally true for Noctis, the destined king who had to die for our sins to get rid of eternal night because shut up we said so. I know I already talked about this but it really bugs me, a hero's journey that's gonna end in the hero's death should give some sort of forshadowing or thematic notion of that ahead of time, not a plot point or two before it happens. The fact that it's such a late-game revelation makes it feel like a cheap way to generate emotion.

What a crap story.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

I wanna loving die.

https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP4433-NPEB01899_00-KSP0000000000043

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 25, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's so loving dumb it's practically erotic.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
If you're gonna insist on the whole 'Noctis dies at the end' thing I think it would have been better to make that blatantly obvious at the start. Make that the reason why he's running away to go on a road trip with his friends, he doesn't want to be king because there's a chance he might have to sacrifice himself someday. Like a reverse FFX where you start off trying to avoid the pilgrimage, trying to keep your royal identity a secret and avoiding dropships/patrols from your own kingdom trying to drag you back. Go whole hog and make Noctis a completely spoiled manchild who's only tempered by the three people in the universe who will willingly hang out with him: his bodyguard, his tutor, and the court jesterPrompto.

e: You could have a parallel between the beginning and end of the game where the car breaks down twice. The first time, in the intro, have Noct just sitting around giving orders while everyone else struggles to push. By the final act, when everything seems hopeless, Noctis learns about the power of friendship and pushes the car right alongside them and that's when Stand By Me kicks in. (It's really strange to me that they blew their load on the vocal theme song within like the first ten minutes of the game, isn't that usually reserved for finale/credits material in Final Fantasy? You gotta earn that poo poo.)

Squarely Circle fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 25, 2018

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The only thing I truly love about this game is that the picture system is very good at getting idiotic snapshots that make you laugh and have a good time for a moment. It's the kind of thing that would make the boyband road trip so great if Square didn't gently caress it up so bad.

Propos idiot scrapbook of his idiot friends' road trip is exactly the mood that this game needed from start to finish.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Squarely Circle posted:

If you're gonna insist on the whole 'Noctis dies at the end' thing I think it would have been better to make that blatantly obvious at the start. Make that the reason why he's running away to go on a road trip with his friends, he doesn't want to be king because there's a chance he might have to sacrifice himself someday. Like a reverse FFX where you start off trying to avoid the pilgrimage, trying to keep your royal identity a secret and avoiding dropships/patrols from your own kingdom trying to drag you back. Go whole hog and make Noctis a completely spoiled manchild who's only tempered by the three people in the universe who will willingly hang out with him: his bodyguard, his tutor, and the court jesterPrompto.

You could make Prompto a blend of his current character and the fat guy who wants photos (of spider-man). The novice reporter from Rolling Stone who's doing the embedded journo thing in the hopes he can get a series of articles (or maybe even a book!) out of this and make his name in the industry.

It would even explain why he's a useless poo poo in fights.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

And somehow that looks better than the PC versions minimum required settings.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

goatface posted:

You could make Prompto a blend of his current character and the fat guy who wants photos (of spider-man). The novice reporter from Rolling Stone who's doing the embedded journo thing in the hopes he can get a series of articles (or maybe even a book!) out of this and make his name in the industry.

It would even explain why he's a useless poo poo in fights.

Or we could replace all four "characters" with the fat guy and just have a bunch of acrofatic fights.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
my new favorite word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQi72cF35GA seems appropriate

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

We should just have four characters who have personalities instead of four characters who have the idea of a personality.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

The Skeleton King posted:

We should just have four characters who have personalities instead of four characters who have the idea of a personality.

You'll never have a future in the games industry with an attitude like that.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

Squarely Circle posted:

If you're gonna insist on the whole 'Noctis dies at the end' thing...

I would have written it so that Noctis' death was something he decided for himself and both fully understood and consented to. This would come after spending the whole game endearing you to the game's world and its characters and also making it clear that there were no better options. Also replace the theme about growing up with a theme about what drives a person to want to make the ultimate sacrifice for others. (As someone said earlier, the theme about growing up doesn't work because the story skips from adolescence straight to death.)

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I'm legit not sure it was salvageable as a story, even had "storytelling" or even "writing" been on SE's priority list in the slightest.

I'd be incredibly interested to see if anyone's been able to piece together how much of any of the finished product was what they set out to make. Like, it makes a ton of sense that what we got was cribbed together from the disparate pieces and half-finished parts of multiple scrapped and aborted projects over the past... how many years? But like, the open world stuff, that had to have been in the works for a while; we know from the initial Versus trailer stuff that "guy with lots of floaty swords" was something they had early on... anything else? When did "bros on a roadtrip" emerge as a "oh gosh oh geez what are we actually making" band-aid?

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
My story pitch was just hypothetical. In reality, even the world's most talented writing staff could only do so much if SE said the team had 3 years to make something out of a bucket of parts.

Right now there are only theories and rumors about what Versus XIII was intended to be, and I could see it being a very long time before the staff opens up about what really happened (if ever). I didn't pay attention to the development saga at the time but the 2006 debut trailer for the game demonstrates how the "fantasy based on reality" and monochrome aesthetic was there from the beginning, as was the significance of darkness/night time. Noctis also has his teleportation powers, the royal armaments, and he is shown sitting on the throne. In the 2008 trailer we see Noctis' father and friends, the car on an open road, and Luna's prototype character, Stella. In 2010 we saw the open world for the first time and in 2011 we see Insomnia get invaded by Niflheim and the action style combat. There's also some prominent themes in these trailers about sleep and a goddess that didn't make the final cut.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

https://gfycat.com/portlylegalalbatross

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:20bux: lovely DLC :20bux:

Episode 63: Out Cold

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oh no. I think the problem is that it was like the other forts where you need to be driving by and see a star destroyer float by before you decide you want to gently caress it up? So maybe you need to be in the regular car and not the monster truck, or auto driving rather than manual? Those are the only thoughts I can give at least with too much brain power than the game deserves.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
if someone could to tell us how the gently caress to get into that fortress i would be appreciative.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Let's Play FFXV: Prompto Suppresses Feelings of Sadness.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Kuvo posted:

if someone could to tell us how the gently caress to get into that fortress i would be appreciative.

There’s a watchtower outside the base. I’m pretty sure you climb it to get the quest.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Kuvo posted:

Clear or re-clear the three open optional forts, get quest "Into Unknown Frontiers" which leads you into the closed up one, talk to T&A McGee once done.
(Unless it's just the watchtower you didn't climb into or it bugged out)

Not wanting to unleash spoilers more than this; but the greatest gameplay experience that is to be had in the entire game requires this to be done, even if you are easily frustrated it is no joke, the best and most memorable time, and will bring you into the 70+ episode territory. It would make a great payoff and end to the mess that is your time with the game.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 9, 2018

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
B-but Prompto fell off the train in a forest. :psyduck:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah you probably haven't cleared the prerequisite quests to get in the fortress.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Bocc Kob posted:

nah nah,

SEVERAL DAYS LATER

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bocc Kob posted:

time hobo

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Bocc Kob posted:

"We were heading north, so I'll just walk to where it's colder and meet 'em there!" :downs:

no joke this same logic was once used by One Piece's Luffy, a known moron

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

sudonim posted:

"We were heading north, so I'll just walk to where it's colder and meet 'em there!" :downs:

no joke this same logic was once used by One Piece's Luffy, a known moron

Yes but Luffy's charming. Big difference there.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Please keep making these forever.

Or at least as long as this trend of 'every episode, somehow, the game gets worse' continues.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Ramos posted:

Yes but Luffy's charming. Big difference there.
Yeah it's been said to death by this point but none of these characters have any real charm. They're all just archytypal placeholders and somehow bad ones at that.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

When do the Episode Ryan and Episode Benson DLCs come out?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
After the Episode Bandunk DLC where we find out what he did during the middle of the LP.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
After the Episode Player DLC, where we get to play a guy watching the game as they spend an hour driving from one place to another in silence. You get to press O to eat snacks and there's a toilet break QTE.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Momomo posted:

After the Episode Bandunk DLC where we find out what he did during the middle of the LP.

he was working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

MiniFoo posted:

he was working

So the entire DLC will be him reading the thread from his phone and having to choose his responses?

100%"Got it" speed run to come.

• Locked thread