Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

site posted:

Misleading headline cuz the article says the stinger comes at the very end so you still have to wait out ten minutes of credits first

Nah, means you can run out and back after the credits roll without fear of missing anything. I usually do this in between the mid- and post- credits scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

So like, did this just kind of accidentally massively spoiler the end

It is pretty clear hoe this movie ends before any spoilers happen.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

site posted:

So like, did this just kind of accidentally massively spoiler the end

No.

In JRPGs, particular the earlier ones in the Hironobu Sakaguchi mold, a move that instantly reduces an enemy party to 1 health point is not a killing blow. Although, killing blow is a misnomer in this instance, because traditional loss conditions were referred to as "KOs" or "faints" due to studios worrying that indicating "death" would confuse players or hinder storytelling segments that result in an actual character death.

Therefore, a move that reduces an entire party to 1 HP is often a symbolic or cinematic action designed to show the player one of two scenarios:

1) That a difficult encounter is beginning and to not be shy about using limited resources, mana points, or consumables.

or

2) That the fight itself cannot be won and that the player has either stumbled into an automatic loss condition (and must learn from their mistakes to not repeat this encounter) or a scripted loss condition that will not penalize the player for failing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scripted losses are the loving worst because you'd end up burning a bunch of potions or whatever and whoops sorry you were supposed to lose!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Endless Mike posted:

Scripted losses are the loving worst because you'd end up burning a bunch of potions or whatever and whoops sorry you were supposed to lose!

Let me tell you about this game called FarCry 5...

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Because that's how it's been laid down from the top. Sony can't use Tom Holland in other films outside of direct Spider-man Homecoming sequels.

I don't know though. A couple years ago the very idea that Spider-Man would show up in a Marvel movie seemed so out there. And deals evolve and change all the time. I think it's possible we at least get a cameo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

I don't know though. A couple years ago the very idea that Spider-Man would show up in a Marvel movie seemed so out there. And deals evolve and change all the time. I think it's possible we at least get a cameo.

It's very unlikely from everything that's come out publicly about the deal. It sounds like Disney is very unhappy that Sony is still moving forward with their Spider-Verse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No.

In JRPGs, particular the earlier ones in the Hironobu Sakaguchi mold, a move that instantly reduces an enemy party to 1 health point is not a killing blow. Although, killing blow is a misnomer in this instance, because traditional loss conditions were referred to as "KOs" or "faints" due to studios worrying that indicating "death" would confuse players or hinder storytelling segments that result in an actual character death.

Therefore, a move that reduces an entire party to 1 HP is often a symbolic or cinematic action designed to show the player one of two scenarios:

1) That a difficult encounter is beginning and to not be shy about using limited resources, mana points, or consumables.

or

2) That the fight itself cannot be won and that the player has either stumbled into an automatic loss condition (and must learn from their mistakes to not repeat this encounter) or a scripted loss condition that will not penalize the player for failing.

I mean, Thanos hitting them to 1hp makes sense because of course he's gonna own them. I was thinking about the aura that grants them the 1hp after the attack

Maybe thinking too hard admittedly

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Venom trailer is a helluva lot better looking than the teaser we saw a little while ago. My concerns remain though of how they're going to explain the symbiote, if it'll have any connection to Spider-Man and if they'll go full on having it eat people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a sequel to Life.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

It's a sequel to Life.

It’ll probably be just as terrible then

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Diabetic posted:

Venom trailer is a helluva lot better looking than the teaser we saw a little while ago. My concerns remain though of how they're going to explain the symbiote, if it'll have any connection to Spider-Man and if they'll go full on having it eat people.
Looks like they are just going to make it an alien lifeform

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Endless Mike posted:

Star Ocean: The Second Story was the absolute worst about this poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Infinity War is at 90% out of 63 reviews on RT. Not shockingly I see several comments about too much going on (surprise, surprise) but it seems like it's handled well. I'm also seeing praise for Thanos. Sounds like the Black Order are throwaway characters. Apparently they are still not revealing Peter Dinklage's character which is very odd.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They weren't too much more than just his creepy gang in Hickman's Infinity either.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Infinity War is at 90% out of 63 reviews on RT. Not shockingly I see several comments about too much going on (surprise, surprise) but it seems like it's handled well. I'm also seeing praise for Thanos. Sounds like the Black Order are throwaway characters. Apparently they are still not revealing Peter Dinklage's character which is very odd.

Even the blurbs from negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are getting me hyped.

Like:

quote:

Throughout the film, rapidity of dialogue and drama is mistaken for actual rhythm, of which directors Anthony and Joe Russo have one mode: pedal-to-the-metal pandemonium.

gently caress yeah dude, that's what the Avengers books were at their best.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 25, 2018

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently they are still not revealing Peter Dinklage's character which is very odd.

This one does: The dwarf that forges Thor's new hammer. Not terribly surprising.

It occurs to me that making your overstuffed ultra crossover movie with 30 superheroes about a guy trying to solve overpopulation is kind of clever. Wish I could see this before Sunday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're watching the 1989 Batman and it never fails to amuse me that when the Joker's goons stun Batman, Bob's first thought is "check his wallet" and then says take off the mask.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It may not be the best but I know waaaay more quotes from 89 than any other Batman movie

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

It may not be the best but I know waaaay more quotes from 89 than any other Batman movie

I never said it isn't the best (it is), just that Bob the Goon is awful.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
^^^^^^Bob the goon is my numbah wunnn ghaaiiiiii!!

zoux posted:

In the year of our Lord nineteen-ninety I believe I lost count after having watched Batman 30something times. Like 90% of it comes back like muscle memory every time I watch it now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's the most quotable flick ever.

You weight a bit more than 108.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Omnomnomnivore posted:

This one does: The dwarf that forges Thor's new hammer. Not terribly surprising.

It occurs to me that making your overstuffed ultra crossover movie with 30 superheroes about a guy trying to solve overpopulation is kind of clever. Wish I could see this before Sunday.
And for once a movie shows that Norse Mythology dwarves don't mean tiny little miners/craftsmen ala LOTR and Warhammer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Welp. Some rear end in a top hat is spoiling IW the same way Solo's death was spoiled in TFA.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Rhyno posted:

Welp. Some rear end in a top hat is spoiling IW the same way Solo's death was spoiled in TFA.

Thanks for the warning. Time to log off

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chill Penguin posted:

Thanks for the warning. Time to log off

Get off FB.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

Something awful is a comedy website. 🙃

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also the wife and I watched Before We Go tonight and it is a really boring, uninspired film. Evans doesn't have a future behind the camera if this is his best work.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rhyno posted:

Are you talking about on SA? With mass changing of avatars and renaming FYAD?

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Haha, I remember reading an article on facebook about an Indian-American woman training to be a police officer getting the feds called on her because she bought a bunch of ammo and the store owner "didn't like her look" and the third comment on the story spoiled TFA and Han for me. Did not see that coming. Thankfully I don't use Facebook anymore, although Twitter is gonna be a place to not go for awhile probably

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Are you talking about on SA? With mass changing of avatars and renaming FYAD?

Facebook and Twitter.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Be warned, this post right here is the no man's land warning. I'm not spoiling this movie for myself so I am no longer reading this thread until late Thursday night. This includes checking reports for this thread. So if I were you I'd stay out of this thread because people are assholes. Do not read past this post. There might be spoilers, or even worse Man of Steel related posts. Do you really want to risk either of these things? Turn back now and close the thread.

Just a heads up to those that think this means you can go hog wild. If you post unmarked spoilers you will be dealt with Thursday night. Probably more harshly than usually as well.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 25, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MAN OF STEEL EMBARGO LIFTED LETS GET CRAZY UP IN HERE

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Someone quote that warning at the top of any new pages please.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can’t see IW until Sunday or Monday, so I got the jump on the assholes and spoiled myself already :smuggo:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
snape kills dumbledore

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh god i can’t check the thread again until Sunday night, who wants to guess how many thousands of posts I come back to?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh god i can’t check the thread again until Sunday night, who wants to guess how many thousands of posts I come back to?

I'm probably gonna check here until the walls of spoilers start showing up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Retro Futurist posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So whose already seen it? Where my movie Industry non CineD posting goons and Aussie goons at?

• Locked thread