Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I hate it every time they do this. It's so incredibly blatant it's like they stop the show to have the characters turn to the camera and say "Donald Trump is bad. Do you get it? We're making a political statement! About Donald Trump. Did you catch it? OK, back to the show!"

I think we need to be more blatant about considering, Donald Trump is out president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think we need to be more blatant about considering, Donald Trump is out president.

Dc’s next big crossover event will be this thread and cspam

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

WEAR THE HAT, OLIVER!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Chokes McGee posted:

I BUILT THE WALL BECAUSE I WANTED TO, AND I LIKED IT!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Nope, those were all awful. Every Arrowverse show has done it and it's terrible every time.

Nah.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

WEAR THE HAT, OLIVER!

One of the most enduring side plots brings Felicity and Curtis back together to locate the piss tape before it's too late

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Fight was cool, but I still cannot give a poo poo about Diaz.

The whole thing was as cliche as gently caress.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I hate it every time they do this. It's so incredibly blatant it's like they stop the show to have the characters turn to the camera and say "Donald Trump is bad. Do you get it? We're making a political statement! About Donald Trump. Did you catch it? OK, back to the show!"

That's a pretty obvious statement to make under the circumstances though. It's only a problem for you because Trump is acting like a B-plot villain on a comic book TV show, and somehow that's the TV show's fault.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Having all organized crime on the entire continent being orchestrated by four people is some pretty dumb stuff to just drop out of nowhere, but I thought this episode did a lot to flesh out Diaz and like others have said definitely should have taken place earlier, but I suppose they couldn't find a way to work Laurel into it because she was still playing E1 Laurel, for reasons? I don't know. Either way, I still think Acevedo is killing it, even if he doesn't have a lot to work with. He really deserved an episode all to himself and he just really nailed it.

Still hoping he turns into an actual dragon, tho.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ubik_Lives posted:

because Trump is acting like a B-plot villain on a comic book TV show
It's not even the villain though, it's the hero. The one obstructing justice was Oliver, the guy we're supposed to like and want to see win. The guy accusing him was the bad guy. So to make their point they had to just write it into the dialogue in a really awkward way, because otherwise it looks like they're on the wrong side.

It's the same issue as when they have their characters kill a bunch of people but then say that killing is bad and no one should do it. They want Oliver to be a serial killer but still be a good guy and their workaround is to just have him say he doesn't approve of murder while he continues to do it.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It's not even the villain though, it's the hero.

[citation required]

I think this entire season is building up around how bad Ollie is as a leader. His actions this season, while morally justified, are almost always strategically wrong. I don’t think he’s supposed to be in the right, and will be forced to have a change of heart at some point, but I don’t think you’re supposed to agree with his default stance of distrusting others and constantly isolating himself.

Rene is an informant? Don't bother talking to your team members about it, you don't owe them poo poo, just immediately start spying on all of them. (Note that Rene does own up to the issue when it's brought up in conversation.)

Diggle is pissed about me taking the hood back? Well, I should explain how I feel, and that should solve it. If someone else explains how they feel, I should start pushing all their buttons, because I have what I want and that’s that.

Members of my staff are working against me and have opened up about it, for entirely understandable reasons? Should I show some compassion, and try to use them as double agents, even in just a minor capacity? Nah, screw that DA's dying wife. Next time vote Democrat.

I've been turned into a drug fuelled psycho Rambo version of myself, because my worst fear, my most restrained impulse, is to isolate myself from my allies and make suicidal charges head first into danger? Crazy me makes some good points, I'm going to write this down.

The problem I have with Ollie's downwards trajectory is that there’s too much padding around it, and they play up the wrong parts. There’s too much other stuff to draw your attention away from the team imploding, and too much complaining about how Ollie put Rene into the hospital, when Rene was swinging an axe at Ollie. Even now, when they finally have Ollie completely isolating himself from everyone, they switch focus back onto Diaz. They really needed to follow up the drug episode with another confrontation with Diaz which goes poorly, and have the episode end with Ollie alone and injured in the bunker, but instead he’s doing fine in offscreen fights.

They keep saying that Ollie is his own worst enemy, and that Diaz is going to defeat him by just giving Ollie enough rope to hang himself, and this is happening, but it’s paced so slowly to lose all impact, and you question if his bad decisions were actually good ones.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I still think a "the team breaks up" story was deeply misguided. But there was a way to do it organically and they definitely avoided that choice.

The first half of the season focuses on Daddy Arrow suddenly parenting, and has its mis-steps. Its not bad, but it aint great.

And then in a single episode Oliver blows the team up and the whole premise goes to poo poo.

The same largely goes for Dinah, too.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Rene deserves to be in the hospital.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Tiggum posted:

It's obvious when it does happen, but usually flows well with the rest of the episode.

The only glaringly "really? did someone seriously write that line in? and they thought it sounded good?" moment I've had was with SHIELD a few weeks back. May drops some random one-liner about russians and democracy in the middle of a tense moment that completely took me out of it.

On topic: Diaz should have had this episode so long ago. I really like the actor so I'm trying to like him, but there's not much to go on.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Cran posted:

Rene deserves to be in the hospital.

This whole season needs to be in the hospital

for

uh

terminal stupid!!!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ubik_Lives posted:

[citation required]

I think this entire season is building up around how bad Ollie is as a leader. His actions this season, while morally justified, are almost always strategically wrong. I don’t think he’s supposed to be in the right, and will be forced to have a change of heart at some point, but I don’t think you’re supposed to agree with his default stance of distrusting others and constantly isolating himself.

Rene is an informant? Don't bother talking to your team members about it, you don't owe them poo poo, just immediately start spying on all of them. (Note that Rene does own up to the issue when it's brought up in conversation.)

Diggle is pissed about me taking the hood back? Well, I should explain how I feel, and that should solve it. If someone else explains how they feel, I should start pushing all their buttons, because I have what I want and that’s that.

Members of my staff are working against me and have opened up about it, for entirely understandable reasons? Should I show some compassion, and try to use them as double agents, even in just a minor capacity? Nah, screw that DA's dying wife. Next time vote Democrat.

I've been turned into a drug fuelled psycho Rambo version of myself, because my worst fear, my most restrained impulse, is to isolate myself from my allies and make suicidal charges head first into danger? Crazy me makes some good points, I'm going to write this down.

The problem I have with Ollie's downwards trajectory is that there’s too much padding around it, and they play up the wrong parts. There’s too much other stuff to draw your attention away from the team imploding, and too much complaining about how Ollie put Rene into the hospital, when Rene was swinging an axe at Ollie. Even now, when they finally have Ollie completely isolating himself from everyone, they switch focus back onto Diaz. They really needed to follow up the drug episode with another confrontation with Diaz which goes poorly, and have the episode end with Ollie alone and injured in the bunker, but instead he’s doing fine in offscreen fights.

They keep saying that Ollie is his own worst enemy, and that Diaz is going to defeat him by just giving Ollie enough rope to hang himself, and this is happening, but it’s paced so slowly to lose all impact, and you question if his bad decisions were actually good ones.

Yeah, the whole "Oliver this is your fault" thing could have been more believable if they would have just changed around some stuff. Actually show Oliver getting outmaneuvered as mayor instead of just flipping the switch and everyone in the city is now working for Diaz. Actually show Oliver mishandling Rene instead of benching the guy who flipped on you and then yelling at him for not following orders in the field. Actually have Diggle being a really good Green Arrow who keeps getting derailed by Oliver butting in instead of some guy hiding a drug problem. Actually show Curtis being a sensitive guy who was deeply hurt by betrayal and not just some jackass who hates Oliver for spying on him but not Rene for ratting him out. Instead we just have a bunch of unsympathetic people saying Oliver sucks at a job he appears to be doing ok but not great with this season.

Also the "you suck at being a leader" thing kind of doesn't work very well since he's had a team since almost the beginning. Season 3 at the very latest.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In case anyone missed it, Flash gave us another Laurel tonight so that's gonna make for some fun Parent Trap BS next season.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

In case anyone missed it, Flash gave us another Laurel tonight so that's gonna make for some fun Parent Trap BS next season.

And the best part is, she’s completely indistinguishable from Black Siren! :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure there's a swastika on her costume somewhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Obviously Black Siren is the default Laurel and regular Laurel was the real outlier.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I admit, evil Katie Cassidy is pretty sexy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

Obviously Black Siren is the default Laurel and regular Laurel was the real outlier.

Maybe its what happens when Oliver doesn't disappear from her life for five years and instead hangs around cheating on her and being a selfish rear end in a top hat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chokes McGee posted:

And the best part is, she’s completely indistinguishable from Black Siren! :v:

I'm trying to get Brownshirt Siren to stick as a nickname, because I like bad puns more than I like adding X to things. But it's not sticking.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I'm trying to get Brownshirt Siren to stick as a nickname, because I like bad puns more than I like adding X to things. But it's not sticking.

Honestly, now I kind of want to see Black Siren go to Earth-X and try to pull the same mindgame fuckery on Commandant Quentin as she did on E1 Quentin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

Nazi Siren has a better chance of sticking.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Frederico looked like that warden from OITNB. I'm guessing it's not the same actor? I wasn't able to find anything about who played him on Google.

e: Not warden, corrections officer.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 26, 2018

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Honestly, now I kind of want to see Black Siren go to Earth-X and try to pull the same mindgame fuckery on Commandant Quentin as she did on E1 Quentin.

I'd laugh if Quentin sees Nazi Siren walking along the street and then immediately puts a bullet in Black Siren because he's thinks he'll have a better shot at saving a new evil one

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

I appreciate where you’re going with this but the word shirt is completely not a part of the original and it just doesn’t work :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chokes McGee posted:

I appreciate where you’re going with this but the word shirt is completely not a part of the original and it just doesn’t work :(

Unfortunately Brown Canary has different connotations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Backup Siren.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Unfortunately Brown Canary has different connotations.

That would be a joke Legends would go for. Nate gets taken out of a fight by Laurel Crying him right in the stomach and he runs off bow-legged and gurgling. Sara calls in and goes "what the hell just happened?" and then Wally says Nate just got "Brown Canary'd" :shrek:

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Also the "you suck at being a leader" thing kind of doesn't work very well since he's had a team since almost the beginning. Season 3 at the very latest.

You can't ask me to remember things from four years ago without making a "whoosh" flashback sound effect.

In this season's defence, I will say that I don't think Ollie was a spectacular leader in the early years. He accumulated people to his cause, but they were largely subordinate to him, and they tended to originate from people who were already close to him. As a result, he pretty much always got his way. I'm pretty sure at one point he shot Roy Harper in the leg just because Roy wanted to do something that Ollie didn't approve of.

Much of the early interpersonal Arrow drama has been about how Ollie does what he wants. Each season had some biannual melodrama fight where Fecility would be brought to near tears because Ollie was about to do something reckless, or was lying to her, or whatever, because he thought it was the right thing to do, and that's all that mattered. Replace Felicity with Tommy for Season 1. And replace Felicity for Dinah for this season, and replace tears with being overly offended.

I think the main difference now is not really that Ollie is any worse at being a team leader, but Rene is just terrible at being a team member, and Ollie doesn't know how to handle that. He needs to show some actual leadership, and not just possess the position as a default title. It's slightly contrived to have Rene being as obstinate and insubordinate as he is, but Ollie getting annoyed with everyone and cutting them off isn't really out-of-character for him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ubik_Lives posted:

In this season's defence, I will say that I don't think Ollie was a spectacular leader in the early years. He accumulated people to his cause, but they were largely subordinate to him, and they tended to originate from people who were already close to him. As a result, he pretty much always got his way. I'm pretty sure at one point he shot Roy Harper in the leg just because Roy wanted to do something that Ollie didn't approve of.

He absolutely shot him in the leg because Roy wanted to do something he didn't approve of. You also can't mention Roy without bringing up the time Ray blasted him with a beam from the Atom suit and Oliver gave an angry speech and then took off, leaving Roy unconscious on a rooftop somewhere. Oliver's always been kind of a dick. It was one of the things Diaz was counting on all along.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/colindonnell/status/989534636647813121

I don't know if this is actual spoilers, but it's cool nonetheless

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senerio posted:

https://twitter.com/colindonnell/status/989534636647813121

I don't know if this is actual spoilers, but it's cool nonetheless

They've been hanging out a lot lately.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Diggle gets shafted again.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ubik_Lives posted:

He may have not been a great motivational leader but Diggle's argument sounds really hollow considering the bad guys he was able to take down. He was a dick that got results, Diggle made it sound like he was a dick that just got a bunch of people killed for no reason.

quote:

I think the main difference now is not really that Ollie is any worse at being a team leader, but Rene is just terrible at being a team member, and Ollie doesn't know how to handle that. He needs to show some actual leadership, and not just possess the position as a default title. It's slightly contrived to have Rene being as obstinate and insubordinate as he is, but Ollie getting annoyed with everyone and cutting them off isn't really out-of-character for him.

Yeah that's one of the things that super annoys me about The Outsiders and specifically Curtis. Rene flips on everyone and when he's invited back into the field he immediately goes off and does his own thing against orders and blows the mission and no one cares because Oliver was a jerk to them

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I liked this episode. And that preview for next week!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Laurel how are you scared of Diaz? This better be another con. Just scramble his brains like you did with Vigilante.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Evil Laurel how are you scared of Diaz? This better be another con. Just scramble his brains like you did with Vigilante.

Diaz: things are going exactly according to plgad ljdf banllbnkaljk dfljkfljkd