Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
NO you are WRONG and modern deck (X) is the worst and you should never play it and

Modern is cool and you should play it. Legacy is completely dead in my area and most others I think? Every time my group considers getting back into legacy we look at the still-rising prices of duals and RL cards and say nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i will say i have enjoyed playing matches of modern recently, which is a strong departure from even a year ago

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of control-ish decks in Modern is anyone else messing around with UR shells? I've had UR Breach built for a little bit but haven't had much chance to test it. I also know that there are some different creature bases for it (Young P + Thing in the Ice, Breach + Emrakul, Madcap +Empirion) or even just mana denial builds with 4x Blood Moon and 4x Spreading Seas. I'm running Breach + Emrakul right now because I have them from my Valakut days, but the inability to deal with large creatures is maybe bad so I've also seen some UR Breach decks splashing white for Path?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of control-ish decks in Modern is anyone else messing around with UR shells? I've had UR Breach built for a little bit but haven't had much chance to test it. I also know that there are some different creature bases for it (Young P + Thing in the Ice, Breach + Emrakul, Madcap +Empirion) or even just mana denial builds with 4x Blood Moon and 4x Spreading Seas. I'm running Breach + Emrakul right now because I have them from my Valakut days, but the inability to deal with large creatures is maybe bad so I've also seen some UR Breach decks splashing white for Path?

I played UR moon without breach/madcap for a few weeks and it was a lot of fun. I beat up on a lot of affinity players locally and still lost to hollow one. The breach version might be better but it's hard to say, having 8 extra slots freed up for more interaction and alternate wincons is kinda great, and I was using a sideboard plan with 3x young pyro. It's just fun to play, constantly casting cards every single turn or at least using loothouse.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

The March Hare posted:

Just stopping by to say "lmao" at the Tabernacle buyout.

I don't think it's as much a buyout as some pro players decided to play it, talked about it, and led to higher demand for them. It's been pretty steadily on the increase since I purchased mine a few years ago.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Playing U/W in modern is good if you want lots of interaction and complex decision making, but don't want to ever actually win a game

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005

Bunches of People posted:

Stuff about Legacy suggestions.

Yeah, if money were no object I'd just buy Food Chain, but my budget's only around $2000 and the mana base for it basically eats up the entirety of that. I'm settling on Death & Taxes for now; our meta hasn't devolved into Delver soup so it shouldn't be too bad, and it's the other Legacy deck I actually have some reps with. It's just for local events anyway. It'll leave me with enough money to build another Modern deck too.

C-Euro posted:

I dunno what your exact list looks like, but one of our local players has been on UR Breach for a while and Top 16ed GP Hartford last weekend, so I guess it's pretty decent: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=19012&d=319621&f=MO. I know I have a rough go of it when I'm playing Affinity against him.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I played UR moon without breach/madcap for a few weeks and it was a lot of fun. I beat up on a lot of affinity players locally and still lost to hollow one. The breach version might be better but it's hard to say, having 8 extra slots freed up for more interaction and alternate wincons is kinda great, and I was using a sideboard plan with 3x young pyro. It's just fun to play, constantly casting cards every single turn or at least using loothouse.

Pascal Maynard has streamed UR Breach, UR Thing in the Ice (w/o Young Pyromancer) and Jeskai Breach in the last month or so and they've been good learning material. He claims that the Breach versions are better against Tron which has been on the rise locally so I'm inclined to stick with that version of the deck; the question is how much I want Path + white's SB cards over Blood Moon (probably not). I have the spell base for the different versions of the deck, I would just need to pick up the different combos for each version if I wanted to switch.

Baldrash posted:

I dunno what your exact list looks like, but one of our local players has been on UR Breach for a while and Top 16ed GP Hartford last weekend, so I guess it's pretty decent: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=19012&d=319621&f=MO. I know I have a rough go of it when I'm playing Affinity against him.

This is very close to what I'm running and I have everything I would need to copy this list whole cloth other than one Jace and the fourth Emrakul. If he's taking advice tell him to try out a singleton Wandering Fumarole, I've closed more than one game out by swinging with one when I couldn't get the burn in hand to finish things.

Do you know how committed he is to the fourth Emrakul? I've thought about going from 3 to 4 but my reverse OCD wants to keep all of my Emrakuls mismatched, which means I would have to pick up a GP promo version to go up to 4 :negative:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Uh so I just won a signed unlimited mox jet in a raffle.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Mezzanon posted:

Time to start playing vintage. You're almost there.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mezzanon posted:

might be fake, do the rip test

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Soul Glo posted:

It might be real, do the rip test

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

CompeAnansi posted:

Time to start playing vintage. You're almost there.

Only 18k to go!

Soul Glo posted:

GoutPatrol posted:

It might be real, do the rip test

:getin:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's definitely MP, do the rip test.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Hmmm looks legit, but to double check, please send it to me. I am a very good grader and verifier of cards. Just send it to my PO BOX and...

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Pro tip: Sharpie the boarder to maximize value.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

You, an idoit:

poo poo is weak posted:

Me, an intellectual:
Use Whiteout to turn all your black borders white.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
You, an idiot:

poo poo is weak posted:

Me, an intellectual:
Pro tip: Sharpie the border to maximize value.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Galaxy brain: sharpie a 45* T into the text box.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lawnie posted:

Galaxy brain: sharpie a 45* T into the text box.

this guy gets it.

I'll probably do something boring like go on a vacation with my girlfriend or buy a pile of cocaine.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

Mezzanon posted:

this guy gets it.

I'll probably do something boring like go on a vacation with my girlfriend or buy a pile of cocaine.

If you filmed yourself rolling up the mox in order to snort said cocaine, then you might make enough in monetization on the video to compensate for damaging the mox.

You would have to deal with a ton of high pitched screeching in the comment section though.

Would be worth it imo.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Any thoughts on this list I've been messing with? I might sleeve this for FNM tonight.

I don't have breaches, if I did I might be playing a more normal moon list. I know Mox Monkey is sort of a questionable card (I'm down to 3 from 4 originally), but of course T2 blood moon can just be GG a lot of the time, and T3 Chandra or Jace can also be pretty hard to recover from. I've had games where I got a T3 walker and lost it 2-3 turns later, but had accrued enough value to either make another one stick, or flip a thing, etc.

Originally I had a 4/3 split of monkey/moon in the other direction, but I think it's probably better to play the full set of moon?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Any thoughts on this list I've been messing with? I might sleeve this for FNM tonight.

I don't have breaches, if I did I might be playing a more normal moon list. I know Mox Monkey is sort of a questionable card (I'm down to 3 from 4 originally), but of course T2 blood moon can just be GG a lot of the time, and T3 Chandra or Jace can also be pretty hard to recover from. I've had games where I got a T3 walker and lost it 2-3 turns later, but had accrued enough value to either make another one stick, or flip a thing, etc.

Originally I had a 4/3 split of monkey/moon in the other direction, but I think it's probably better to play the full set of moon?

Logic Knot and Remand are better than Leak/Negate/spell pierce imo. You don't have ways to quickly close out the game so you're going to end up with leak/pierce stuck sitting dead in your hand when the game goes longer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Ensnaring Bridge seems kind of questionable with maindeck Anger and Thing in the Ice, especially since the latter can be a sweeper on its own. If anything I would move the Angers to the board and go up to 4 TiiT, Pascal Maynard streamed that sort of deck a few weeks ago and it seemed rad.

Also I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere, but I saw a list very much like this with a mana denial package of 4 Blood Moon and 4 Spreading Seas, and then Jace and Chandra to close out games. If loving with your opponent's mana is your get-down then that list seemed really spicy. Definitely post a trip report as I've been playing around with this style of deck lately too.

E: Ceremonious Rejection for the SB seems like a must too, it's great against lots of stuff. The SB Magi are probably overkill especially with 4 Field of Ruin that you need for fixing. I don't think I've ever seen a two-color deck with no dual lands.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 27, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Spreading Seas is a great call; I will mess with that and probably include it somewhere. I've only got 2 thing in the ice and probably can't get the other 2 by tonight.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah Harvest Pyre is maybe a better singleton than Roast if you are worried about killing Goyfs, especially since you aren't running something like Logic Knot that's competing for GY cards.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah Harvest Pyre is maybe a better singleton than Roast if you are worried about killing Goyfs, especially since you aren't running something like Logic Knot that's competing for GY cards.

Pyre is going to be real slow at killing an early Angler or Hollow One

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That's true, I've just been seeing the Harvest Pyre tech a lot and wanted to mention it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've been messing around with GW valuetown a bit, and curious why it might run a singleton Eldritch Evolution in the board. Against low removal decks? Why not just run a drat chord?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

I've been messing around with GW valuetown a bit, and curious why it might run a singleton Eldritch Evolution in the board. Against low removal decks? Why not just run a drat chord?

Evolution for one of your hosers costs 3 and can be played on turn 2. Chord for a 2 mana creature is turn 3 minimum.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Valuetown is super slow to close out games and doesn't interact well with combo decks. Evolution is another copy of their kataki or eidolon of rhetoric or whatever that can be pumped out on turn 2

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ShaneB posted:

it's for turning your kitchen finks into a stormbreath dragon after you take out all of the white cards and put in cool red cards like blood moon and stone rain

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it's for turning your kitchen finks into a stormbreath dragon after you take out all of the white cards and put in cool red cards like blood moon and stone rain

Amen brother.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

You joke but I did see this pretty sweet Naya list a while back running Eldritch Evolution and I have to keep reminding myself that I already have enough decks that I don't play-

1 Arid Mesa
3 Forest
3 Gavony Township
1 Plains
4 Razorverge Thicket
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Birds of Paradise
4 Bloodbraid Elf
3 Eldritch Evolution
1 Huntmaster of the Fells
4 Kitchen Finks
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Path to Exile
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Renegade Rallier
2 Strangleroot Geist
1 Thragtusk
1 Thundermaw Hellkite
4 Voice of Resurgence
2 Wilt-Leaf Liege
//sideboard
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Eldritch Evolution
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Loaming Shaman
1 Magus of the Moon
1 Path to Exile
1 Reveillark
2 Stony Silence
1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Tireless Tracker
2 Tormod's Crypt

Also please share your Ponza(?) list running Eldritch Evolution because that card is sweet.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it was pre-BBE and was not very good. really all you would do is shave a few numbers on your finks/trackers/courser and then add in like, a magus of the moon maindeck. Since the deck goes 1->3->5 mana a lot of the time anyway, you can get turn two hate cards out just like in GW value

i was also playing the madcap combo once and got to live the dream of inferno titaning into a platinum emperion

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

it was pre-BBE and was not very good. really all you would do is shave a few numbers on your finks/trackers/courser and then add in like, a magus of the moon maindeck. Since the deck goes 1->3->5 mana a lot of the time anyway, you can get turn two hate cards out just like in GW value

There's an Eldritch Evolution list that keeps showing up in the list of 5-0 decks for mtgo leagues. The only other non-creature spell it runs is Saheeli Rai :eyepop:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What should I put in my human SB to deal with Hollow One? A ton of people at my LGS are playing it and I feel like I rarely win against it.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I know Mox Monkey is sort of a questionable card
Mox Monkey is Gorilla Shaman.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Petal Primate :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

little munchkin posted:

There's an Eldritch Evolution list that keeps showing up in the list of 5-0 decks for mtgo leagues. The only other non-creature spell it runs is Saheeli Rai :eyepop:

This one?