Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've been modding these lovely games for over a decade... On one hand, Arthmoor has contributed a ton to the tools and mod efforts.

On the other hand, what a shitlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Sometimes Food posted:

Are there any other good follower mods other than Inigo for SE?

Or is it just weird dude's waifus all the way down? Cause that's what it looks like on the Nexus, or are some of those actually okay and I'm just jumping to conclusions.

Yennifer from Witcher 3, with her voice ripped from Witcher 3? She doesn’t talk too much and I don’t think it counts as waifu since it’s just ripped straight from W3 with CDPR’s approval.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The centrality of the unofficial patch and Arthmoor pulling this poo poo with it might be what finally breaks the power of mod author prerogative in the community just because no one wants to deal with this poo poo and does not have to when r/modpiracy exists.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

The centrality of the unofficial patch and Arthmoor pulling this poo poo with it might be what finally breaks the power of mod author prerogative in the community just because no one wants to deal with this poo poo and does not have to when r/modpiracy exists.

We can only hope, as amusing as this drama is when it isn't directly affecting you I'm getting sick of coming back to a Bethesda game and finding mods gone or updated into a terrible state and yeesh.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not creepy at all, just sappy. Hell, you might even enjoy it. Vilja is definitely worth a go if only for the chance to enjoy the spectacularly bad voice acting on the dozen or so non-Vilja characters the mod adds. The mod is huge and much more than just an extra follower, but everything in it is 100% optional and won’t get in your way if you don’t want to engage it. If you’re looking for a follower mod besides Inigo I highly recommend trying it out.

Taintrunner posted:

Yennifer from Witcher 3, with her voice ripped from Witcher 3? She doesn’t talk too much and I don’t think it counts as waifu since it’s just ripped straight from W3 with CDPR’s approval.

Thanks, gonna try Vilja and I just found that Hoth had been uploaded for SE so gonna give him a go as well.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Haven't touched skyrim in awhile, just came to munch some popcorn and take a look at the latest arthmoor drama.

So, trying to get inside his head for a moment, if I understand this situation right, would you say it's right that from his warped perspective since bethesda apparently doesn't support mods on VR skyrim despite people getting mods to work on it, arthmoor took it upon himself to be bethesda's champion and white knight and enforce their stance of no support for mods with extreme prejudice, in the hope bethesda will reward him and hire him finally?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

My guess is that the idea of it being "unsupported" is just a pretext for what really matters to him: doing things his way or the highway so he can feel important and in control.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gyshall posted:

On one hand, Arthmoor has contributed a ton to the tools and mod efforts.

He really hasn’t, a lot of the big stuff he just “maintains” while other people do all the work, and others like Open Cities and his towns are honestly just copy and paste jobs in the CK that any other shut in could have done.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Haven't touched skyrim in awhile, just came to munch some popcorn and take a look at the latest arthmoor drama.

So, trying to get inside his head for a moment, if I understand this situation right, would you say it's right that from his warped perspective since bethesda apparently doesn't support mods on VR skyrim despite people getting mods to work on it, arthmoor took it upon himself to be bethesda's champion and white knight and enforce their stance of no support for mods with extreme prejudice, in the hope bethesda will reward him and hire him finally?

You give him far, far too much credit. The answer to why he is reacting this way is simple:
Because he said so.

Ol Arty is awful for the community and the fact that people haven't told him to gently caress off is quite amazing. Now though since he is standing in the way of Skyrim VR people are forced to tell him that.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rainbow Knight posted:

I just figured out that making, uh, impure(?) poisons with buffs on them last 15 times longer when used in conjunction with Ord's Lab Skeever perk. Do I need a lingering damage poison that lasts 22 minutes and fortifies the enemy's pickpocket skill? No*. Do I want a lingering damage poison that lasts 22 minutes and fortifies the enemy's pickpocket skill? Yes. I just need to figure out how to make it work in a practical way :v:

*Yes

I could always plug my oldrim mod, Discreet Poisoned Perk. The baseline implementation of the poisoned perk makes you charged with a crime even if you reverse pickpocket a poison completely unseen, which completely defeats the purpose. At least this tries to break that crime chain. :v:

Haven't uploaded it to Nexus because :effort:, guess I could revisit it for SSE now that I'm down that rabbit hole again...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I really, seriously, and sincerely hate Arthmoor.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol sure just take down the most widely-used and required mod for the game, why not

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Looks like the drama is over now for the most part. He put USSEP back online and somebody released a patch to USSEP specifically for SkyrimVR that rolls back the marriage/adoption parts of USSEP to the previous version.

The thing is, releasing a targeted patch was what Arthmoor wanted people to do in the first place, but instead of being a normal person and saying that, he just kept being coy about it.

The main thing the VR guys were worried about is the fact that the marriage and adoption scripts are apparently baked into your save game on a new game and cannot be changed, so you won't know that your save is permanently broken until you've put dozens of hours into it. And since SkyrimVR was released on PC only this month, there is a lot of activity around it with people buying it and setting up mods. I'm sure this whole drama could have been avoided if he just compromised and put the old version back online for a day or two, or if in the mod description he warned VR users about the issue and told them to look for a patch.

But that isn't as fun as being antagonistic and making the entire rapidly growing VR community hate you, I guess.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Augus posted:

lol sure just take down the most widely-used and required mod for the game, why not

Seems like it will be hard to find anyone defending him this go around, curious if the nexus will back him up again though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nalin posted:

Looks like the drama is over now for the most part. He put USSEP back online and somebody released a patch to USSEP specifically for SkyrimVR that rolls back the marriage/adoption parts of USSEP to the previous version.

The thing is, releasing a targeted patch was what Arthmoor wanted people to do in the first place, but instead of being a normal person and saying that, he just kept being coy about it.

The main thing the VR guys were worried about is the fact that the marriage and adoption scripts are apparently baked into your save game on a new game and cannot be changed, so you won't know that your save is permanently broken until you've put dozens of hours into it. And since SkyrimVR was released on PC only this month, there is a lot of activity around it with people buying it and setting up mods. I'm sure this whole drama could have been avoided if he just compromised and put the old version back online for a day or two, or if in the mod description he warned VR users about the issue and told them to look for a patch.

But that isn't as fun as being antagonistic and making the entire rapidly growing VR community hate you, I guess.

Arthmoor did not want people to release targeted patches, he wanted to try to be self-important with his insecure 'ego'. Examine every single interaction he's ever had with the community, in any capacity and under any circumstance and he is always in his 'I am important' mode first, anything else (including modding the game) is secondary. Dude's like him exist everywhere he's just settled in modding an ancient PC game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Seems like it will be hard to find anyone defending him this go around, curious if the nexus will back him up again though.

They will yeah

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Nah the hubbub has died off for now but it reminds people what a shithead Arthmoor is.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Arthmoor is a garbage. It's not a very hot take, but it needs to be said always.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
He still would be a massive tool, but at leadt would have had a halfway legitimate point if anything that happened actually violated the license he released the mod under.

The fact that he acted this way when everyone else was acting in good faith and in compliance with the restrictions he himself placed on his own mod just really speaks volumes about him.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dameius posted:

He still would be a massive tool, but at leadt would have had a halfway legitimate point if anything that happened actually violated the license he released the mod under.

The fact that he acted this way when everyone else was acting in good faith and in compliance with the restrictions he himself placed on his own mod just really speaks volumes about him.

Actually, what speaks the most is that after people started to upload the older version of USSEP and cite his license, he went to his mod page and changed his license to read:

Arthmoor posted:

* You may upload unmodified versions of the patch to any website of your choosing so long as the documentation is retained as-is and the intended use of the mod is on a standard Skyrim Special Edition game. All credits must be properly maintained. Distribution for the intent of using it on an incompatible platform such as Skyrim VR is strictly forbidden.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What exactly does he have against VR?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Which is a dickshit move but doesn't effect the old version people were wanting anyways so just even extra dickish. Deep cut, but basically Bobby's boss Jimmy from King of the Hill when he worked at the race track.

No I'm the boss!

Caphi posted:

What exactly does he have against VR?

From what he said that I saw, literally nothing beyond he doesn't have time or interest in it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Because obviously if you change the conditions of the license the new rules retroactively apply to all previous versions of the game and anyone who broke these new rules at any point in time in the past are criminals.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
I'm not sure how it could be "theft" when you're not paying for it in the first place

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aren't basically all mods owned by Bethesda since they use their assets?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

How much more work actually even need to be done on the Unofficial Patch? It feels like I ask this every now and then but it still seems weird to me that they are still finding things to "fix."

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The point is Arty is an insecure moron, he'd probably rather have people think he's narcissistic instead but he's too dumb.
It's why he lashes out so dramatically at poo poo like the Oblivion gates he put into Open Cities. Or the lovely voiced dragon outside of Whiterun. He has nothing else.

Like I said before dudes like this exist by the thousands and they are really prominent in game communities, especially in the modding scenes. There is nothing special or outstanding about him, probably why he tries to drama it up every time he can. Keeps him 'special'.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Is the information about Immersive Citizens in the OP still up to date? I've been using it in SkyrimVR because many people recommended it and nobody has said anything about performance issues yet. Is it really a big performance hog, kinda like grass mods?

Since VR requires you to render two viewports at 90 frames/second, a lot of emphasis is placed on mods like "Optimized Texture for SSE" that can reduce VRAM and help framerates, and many popular SSE mods are avoided for being too impactful on performance.

This thread seems to have the opposite opinion on the mod than everybody else. Is there anyone that is more familiar with it that can comment on it? Can you disable it cleanly, or will you need to scrub your savegame with ReSaver afterwards?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

KakerMix posted:

Or the lovely voiced dragon outside of Whiterun. He has nothing else.

Holy crap, that's what that was?? I was so confused when I heard it as I never remembered any dragons talking.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nalin posted:

Holy crap, that's what that was?? I was so confused when I heard it as I never remembered any dragons talking.

Same

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
As a software engineering guy, the modding community’s attitude towards sharing has always puzzled me. In my circles, we love open source and sharing code. Not sure why some of that hasn’t rubbed off to the modding community. :shrug:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The last bastion to be a prima donna/diva to a captive audience without expending a whole ton of effort.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe because they fancy themselves auteurs, or because releasing free content for someone else’s explicitly for-profit game makes you weird about sharing. Or maybe this is just what gamers do when they gain the slightest bit of social credit or leverage over each other? :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Smol posted:

As a software engineering guy, the modding community’s attitude towards sharing has always puzzled me. In my circles, we love open source and sharing code. Not sure why some of that hasn’t rubbed off to the modding community. :shrug:

i've literally just seen this kind of insane bullshit in Bethesda games and Minecraft. every single other community I've seen has been sane about this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Smol posted:

there's some weird monetary incentives when it comes to bethesda games. I released a few cheat mods for Fallout 4 right after it came out (I was the first to release working esp mods actually!) and made easily a grand off of a tiny donation button that only shows up when you download the mod twice. About a million unique downloads in total these days.

Something like the Unofficial Patch, with tens of millions of downloads and significantly larger in terms of content? I wouldn't be surprised if that were a major source of his income.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You'd think then that he'd be all over the idea of doing basically nothing and getting to cash in again on it for VR, but he just can't help himself from being lovely.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

He's just cargo-culting the state of being important and popular.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

He's just mantling the state of being important and popular.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i've literally just seen this kind of insane bullshit in Bethesda games and Minecraft. every single other community I've seen has been sane about this.

Even in Minecraft you can't pull poo poo to -this- level because someone will just obsolete and replace you in the time you're gone. The only ancients still left are IC2 and BC, and BC isn't that popular because they removed compatibility with other power sources again. No clue why IC2 still has staying power.

And unlike a Bethesda game where one mod can garner popularity to float on its own, if you aren't named Thaumcraft you -have- to be in a pack or nobody will play you outside of mod spotlights. No end-user in minecraft is willing to sit down and download everything individually at this point.

It must be CHIM, honestly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

:randpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

IIRC the mod author of one of the biggest Starbound mods (Frackin' Universe) is also a frothing psychopath. I believe he lifted some assets from a goon-made mod, then when was asked to either remove them or give credit he was screenshotted on discord talking about making up false pedophilia claims against said goon. Tiny men with tiny amounts of power and literally nothing else in their lives.