Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

dota and overwatch both aren't loot games so how the gently caress would they even give you better loot for being good at them

i swear to God the first six months of this game it was all 'everything is too easy to get and i don't care about getting any of it' but the second there's a vaguely interesting toy people immediately rotate on their fencepost about tryhards who are going to farm their 420 elo lobbies with their Lord Shaxx's Codpieces and it's just unfair!

gamers breathing through their mouths you say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This guy gets it.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

dota and overwatch both aren't loot games so how the gently caress would they even give you better loot for being good at them

i swear to God the first six months of this game it was all 'everything is too easy to get and i don't care about getting any of it' but the second there's a vaguely interesting toy people immediately rotate on their fencepost about tryhards who are going to farm their 420 elo lobbies with their Lord Shaxx's Codpieces and it's just unfair!

Let me make my position as clear as possible: Keep all the best loot locked behind high-skill activities, just not PvP ones.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
did you mean 'not just' or 'just not'

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
please do not respond to the guy with the appropriate username, life will be better that way for all of us

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Competitive doesn't have radar.

This is a problem.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Mayhem 4v4 feels strange after 6v6. It's definitely slower and more duel-y.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CheeseFactory posted:

Competitive doesn't have radar.

This is a problem.

It does seem a little batshit to lock the only 0.6-second TTK non-exotic primary behind the most cancerous game mode.

:shepicide:

e: with a dead clan.

lobotomy molo fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 25, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

did you mean 'not just' or 'just not'

The latter.

You have to raid to get the thing = Good.
You have to win in this mode and moreover, not lose in this mode, to get the thing = Bad.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Waffle House posted:

gamers breathing through their mouths you say

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
can you articulate why you feel it should work that way, beyond the fact that you would just like it to? what's the inherent problem with gating things behind pvp?

like, i don't really like running the prestige nightfall (or even really the d2 raids thus far), but i understand the purpose behind them having their own loot pools, and for most of destiny's history some of the best non-exotic weapons have been gated behind pvp, if not even pvp victories.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
also low blow rim shot at there even being non-pvp high skill level activities in this game lmao wtf

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

also low blow rim shot at there even being non-pvp high skill level activities in this game lmao wtf

what

I love Prestige events, numerical inflation is totally a legitimate pasttime/career/market sector in America

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Waffle House posted:

numerical inflation is totally a legitimate pasttime in America

but enough about your mom's weight eyyyy

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

I just dont like the idea of locking things behind unfun things like hide and seek in the dark with high ttk guns

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

CheeseFactory posted:

I just dont like the idea of locking things behind unfun things like hide and seek in the dark with high ttk guns

This.

cyfad
Sep 29, 2009

Welcome to the human race.
yeah, rewards for good pvp players should be exclusively ornamental. It's a dumb idea to give people who are already good at pvp the best pvp guns.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Dumb idea you say? Bungies on it.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cyfad posted:

yeah, rewards for good pvp players should be exclusively ornamental. It's a dumb idea to give people who are already good at pvp the best pvp guns.

That's what's rubbing me the wrong way.

Bungie: "but u said you wanted meaningful rewards!" :downsgun:

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

cyfad posted:

Nah that part is fine. Being rewarded for something that takes skill and practice is fine.

Thats why trials and raida should give the best loot.

But locking it behind a pvp mode with no radar is kinda dumb.

Also we have no idea if the gun is good. Could be dogshit.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CheeseFactory posted:

Nah that part is fine. Being rewarded for something that takes skill and practice is fine.

Hmmmm, 0.6 second TTK on a long-range pulse rifle, maybe it's dogshit? :thunk:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeoC2sP7Yg8

tl;dr: Exotic buffs are being done to hold us over until whatever weapon/TTK/class changes they make in September. Get ready to see exotics used everywhere.

I do suspect that you'll have to unlock the new exotic perks somehow, likely with that "Catalyst" slot. Unless there's even more crazy perks they haven't shown yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fWyK1UMCh8

That video backs that up. Apparently when you get the Catalyst for Vigilance Wing, it makes it full auto. The Crimson's range gets increased to 100 (max)

Roman fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 25, 2018

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

CheeseFactory posted:

Hopefully competitive will prioritize connection over the magical SBMM algorithm that slots you into games with red bars on the other side of the planet. But I doubt it because Bungie.

Didn't they mention they are going to start penalizing players for leaving games? I doubt Bungie will ban for it, but I could see 15 minute to 1 hour temp bans if you leave games too many times. Hopefully any game you leave will cause your competitive rank to go down , even if it doesn't "start".

Still, you are consistently ranked in the top 1% of players right? I look forward to watching your videos with it, since I won't get it with my thumb-less skills.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Lol when you lfg a fresh run of Argos and they all have 100+ clears and farm that poo poo in 20 minutes despite you loving everything up.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

Fly Molo posted:

Hmmmm, 0.6 second TTK on a long-range pulse rifle, maybe it's dogshit? :thunk:

Tell me more about how PvP works. Im keen for your insight.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

Bungie have already played the "everyone is a winner and everything is super balanced" card already.

Guess what? It was boring and it sucked rear end and everyone left.

Time for something new.

The pulse rifle has a low ttk after you get a headshot kill, reload and get 2 seconds to find someone else to shoot at... just like the current raid pulse rifle... which almost no one uses.

Stop losing your brains over it.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I got a We Ran Out of Medals medal last night.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://twitter.com/_mantis_/status/989156596377767936

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Everytime anyone says that I just remember how cool Halos heatmaps and kill maps online we're and all the stats for pvp and what not and now in d2 I can't even see what loving match I earned the medal in

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Can't wait for this next wet fart dlc I paid for ahead of time

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Hype for this expansion!!

Hahah
You
Paid
Extra

For this expansion!!!!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Am pretty excited unironically, if I entertained myself with Curse of Osiris, I’m sure this’ll last me the four months it exists. :v:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I like this insinuation that backing out of games will force a match against a stacked ELO team

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Bungie ruined preorders for the foreseeable future

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
We want to be the premiere esports game of 2017

We also don't want to spend money on dedicated servers

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I like this insinuation that backing out of games will force a match against a stacked ELO team

the tweet was about backing out of qp matches, but quite frankly i would rather play against a team of 1600-1700 elo solos than a 1400-1500 stack

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the tweet was about backing out of qp matches, but quite frankly i would rather play against a team of 1600-1700 elo solos than a 1400-1500 stack

"backing out of matches repeatedly will not help you find good games"

It literally does do that though, so I assume he's saying they're adding some kind of penalty or negative reinforcement to doing it?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My elo goes up every time I see the game go from 4/8 to 8/8 and I back out

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"backing out of matches repeatedly will not help you find good games"

It literally does do that though, so I assume he's saying they're adding some kind of penalty or negative reinforcement to doing it?

the solo player's metric of a 'good game'='not against a stack' may not be the same definition of bungie's 'good game'

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Okay seriously, what the hell is ELO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

IronSaber posted:

Okay seriously, what the hell is ELO?

Elo (not an acronym, it was the guy's name) is a method for statistically quantifying relative skill in match-based competitive games. Originally invented for chess, now used in modified form for most online ranking systems.