Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh, I thought the catch for rent to own was that you had to pay for all the repairs and poo poo.

For anyone who thinks her rent-a-center thing for electronics makes sense: computers last way longer than two years if you aren’t using them for anything like gaming or CAD drafting (or even if you are). People just install all sorts of Bonzi Buddy bullshit and think the computer is slow when they really just suck as computer owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Back off, Hoodwinker, I got dibs.

Leon, is she single?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh, I thought the catch for rent to own was that you had to pay for all the repairs and poo poo.

For anyone who thinks her rent-a-center thing for electronics makes sense: computers last way longer than two years if you aren’t using them for anything like gaming or CAD drafting (or even if you are). People just install all sorts of Bonzi Buddy bullshit and think the computer is slow when they really just suck as computer owners.

She specifically mentioned that she didn't have to pay for repairs. Maybe she is getting a deal!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Is rent to own on a house really any more BWM than renting already is? I've known people that rented a house for decades, as well as renters that put in an offer to buy the house they rented because they liked living there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zaurg posted:

Back off, Hoodwinker, I got dibs.

Leon, is she single?

I don't know. I'll check the finger during our post-lunch interviews.

Do you like overweight white ladies in their (I'm guessing late 40's or early 50's) with a ton of giant charm bracelets?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Panfilo posted:

Is rent to own on a house really any more BWM than renting already is? I've known people that rented a house for decades, as well as renters that put in an offer to buy the house they rented because they liked living there.

I'm pretty sure you pay more every month than you would if you were "just" renting.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Panfilo posted:

I legitimately don't know, because I had never even heard of it until today.

But putting 7% of a house's value down, paying extra rent, and maybe not even ending up with a house at the end sounds terrible.

Just the fact that I know what this person makes, I have now met them, and the things she has said lead me to believe that this is not a smart financial arrangement marketed to savvy consumers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There is an interview panel today. One of the panel members is some lady that I don't know from the department that is hiring.

- Her soap/candle business is going to be even more profitable because she doesn't have to pay our city income/wage tax or federal taxes on her soap sales because she only accepts cash.
Who voluntarily proclaims they're committing tax fraud at an official function full of business associates they've never met before?

Also what department is she from. Say finance.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Splicer posted:

Who voluntarily proclaims they're committing tax fraud at an official function full of business associates they've never met before?

Also what department is she from. Say finance.

Customer service.

Also, she knows the other two panel members.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Panfilo posted:

Renting isn't bad with money.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Barry posted:

I'm pretty sure you pay more every month than you would if you were "just" renting.

On the one hand, you could rent, for say $1000 a month. Or... you could rent-to-own for $1000 a month, after putting $10,000 down. Sounds like a deal!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Renting isn't bad with money.

Seriously. I’d even argue that in some markets and situations, it’s GWM.

I almost bought a condo a few years ago, I shudder to think of the bullet I’ve dodged since I would have moved cities for work six months later.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Who exactly gets the down payment? The owner of the home? Does it just sit in escrow for years until the renter buys? I'm genuinely curious.

Again, it's not like you'll have anything to show for renting for decades anyway. Very few people are disciplined enough to leverage whatever advantage they do get from renting into more wealth than homeowners do in many regions. Certainly in the bay area.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Panfilo posted:

Yes, it is bad. Very likely, the rent money isn't going towards the purchase of the house, only the "extra" money she pays per month is. She'd be better off just renting and banking that money.

Also I'll bet she can be evicted at any time and the owners can probably keep all that money.

The ONLY way I could see this being a good idea is if there's a house you're absolutely in love with but can't afford to buy it now, so you want to lock it in until you're able to afford it. Otherwise under no circumstances is it better than renting or buying, money-wise.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 25, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
When I was getting ready to move to another city I talked to a finance guy about renting out my house I owned instead of selling because I know I would probably be moving back in 5 years or so. He suggested depending on my tolerance for scamming people I could do a rent-to-own and pocket a whole bunch of money.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Who exactly gets the down payment? The owner of the home? Does it just sit in escrow for years until the renter buys? I'm genuinely curious.

Again, it's not like you'll have anything to show for renting for decades anyway. Very few people are disciplined enough to leverage whatever advantage they do get from renting into more wealth than homeowners do in many regions. Certainly in the bay area.

It is usually a payment for an option to buy, or a non refundable deposit. The seller gets it once she stops renting

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I live in a rent controlled duplex in the Bay Area and have for about six years. The mortgage for this unit if it sold at market value would be about 2.5x my rent. I could not afford that mortgage. So, renting is a good deal for me because I can make bay area wages while not paying a bay area mortgage that is 80-90% of my income.

The really good with money person is my landlord who paid cash for this minimalist Victorian house in the then-ghetto in the early 1970s.

The most bad with money people are my upstairs neighbors who are relatives of my landlord and choose to pay San Francisco rent for three years while the upstairs unit sat empty waiting for them to live in it for free. The man even works in my city, and they had two kids in a one bedroom in SF. But they didn't want to give up ~the city life~

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

When I was getting ready to move to another city I talked to a finance guy about renting out my house I owned instead of selling because I know I would probably be moving back in 5 years or so. He suggested depending on my tolerance for scamming people I could do a rent-to-own and pocket a whole bunch of money.

That's the kind of finance guy I want. Not some dumbass trying to sell me lovely mutual funds. Where do you find one of those?

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

potatoducks posted:

That's the kind of finance guy I want. Not some dumbass trying to sell me lovely mutual funds. Where do you find one of those?

Find a certified financial planner. They have a fiduciary duty to help you, which a financial advisor doesn't.

They also have a more comprehensive education coming not just investments but also estate planning, real estate, taxes and small business situations.

Finally they are also required to have worked under the supervision of another CFP or a CPA for 4000 hours before they can become full CFPs.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Mocking Bird posted:

I live in a rent controlled duplex in the Bay Area and have for about six years. The mortgage for this unit if it sold at market value would be about 2.5x my rent. I could not afford that mortgage. So, renting is a good deal for me because I can make bay area wages while not paying a bay area mortgage that is 80-90% of my income.

The really good with money person is my landlord who paid cash for this minimalist Victorian house in the then-ghetto in the early 1970s.

The most bad with money people are my upstairs neighbors who are relatives of my landlord and choose to pay San Francisco rent for three years while the upstairs unit sat empty waiting for them to live in it for free. The man even works in my city, and they had two kids in a one bedroom in SF. But they didn't want to give up ~the city life~

Conversely, my house would rent for about 2x my mortgage. Sure, I could rent a small 1br somewhere in town for the cost of my mortgage and not have to deal with property taxes / upkeep, but them amount I'm spending in taxes & upkeep is less than the equity I'm building so *shrug*. Plus, I'm a lot happier having space for my hobbies.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mocking Bird posted:

Yes, if you can get things for half of market price, that is a good deal.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Yes, if you can get things for half of market price, that is a good deal.

Good with money by being incredibly insanely lucky.

Although renting is still better with money than buying in the bay area because for most people buying is literally impossible. The best (only?) way to be good with money in the bay area is to be an engineer making a 6-figure salary so you can pretty much ignore the insane cost of living that financially cripples most people there.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

TrueChaos posted:

Plus, I'm a lot happier having space for my victims.

FTFY.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mocking Bird posted:

It's great you were able to find a rent controlled place, but it is also a pretty rare situation. Even people in the bay area qualified for section 8 can end up waiting years for an opening, rent controlled units are probably even scarcer since there will be a ton of competition. And I'm pretty sure there isn't any rent control in the south bay or peninsula.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

There is an interview panel today. One of the panel members is some lady that I don't know from the department that is hiring.

She is singing the praises of Rent-a-Center and apparently has a Rent-To-Own House.

I didn't even know that this existed until today.

These are all of the positive things she likes about her Rent-To-Own house.

- She only had to put down 7% instead of 20%.
- She pays extra in rent, but she gets it all back when she buys the house.
- No debt or mortgage because she has terrible credit.
- She can decide not to buy it later if she doesn't want to.
- No property taxes.
- She never has any spare money, which makes this great because she doesn't have to pay for repairs.
- She can't afford the house on her current income or credit, but Rent-To-Own is great because she can make sure that nobody else buys it before she can get her life and finances in order.
- She isn't worried about not having her finances in order right now, because she has a side business selling homemade soap bars and candles that she thinks is really going to take off and in several years when she has a chance to buy the house, she can use her soap money.
- Her soap/candle business is going to be even more profitable because she doesn't have to pay our city income/wage tax or federal taxes on her soap sales because she only accepts cash.

She is also repping Rent-a-Center for TVs and computers hard because they "become obsolete in two years, so you just exchange it for a newer one later" and that "you know exactly how much you are paying each month instead of having to blow it all at once."

I was cringing because she was talking about how great it is having monthly payments for everything because she knows exactly what she has to pay each month and "they do all the budgeting for you." We're on a break now, but we have a second round of interviews in the afternoon.

Dear god. Is this woman a candidate to be hired or one doing the interviews? I honestly don't know which is worse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

axeil posted:

Dear god. Is this woman a candidate to be hired or one doing the interviews? I honestly don't know which is worse.

Interviewer.

She's one of the three Deputy Managers for the CSRs at this agency.

Zaurg: She is not married, but does have one kid. I can put in a good word.

Haven't gotten any more BWM from her in the afternoon interviews. Just talking about work and summer plans.

She did say that she has more charms for her bracelets at home and switches them out (she has 3 bracelets that are jammed with a bunch of these little beads and moons). I am guessing there is some BWM potential there, but I'm not going to ask about her collection or how much she spends on it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 25, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Interviewer.

She's one of the three Deputy Managers for the CSRs at this agency.

This may make me an rear end in a top hat, but I feel like if someone shows that startling a display of financial incompetence it implies they're an absolute moron and as a result can't be trusted to do their job correctly.

Then again, I work with numbers and interest rate calculations and what not all day so for my industry not understanding time value of money or discounting really would be a disqualifying thing.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Mocking Bird posted:

The S&P500 has returned 10,900% including dividends since 1975; I am guessing that the long-term return on rent controlled rental real estate in San Francisco is worse than that

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Good luck, Zuagr! It's usually difficult to marry up in life unless you have some really good game!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I for one vote that if Zaurg wanted to close his thread because he can’t handle reality, that he then shouldn’t be allowed to post in BFC (6 hour probation if he posts). Every time he posts now it’s just a derail.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

axeil posted:

This may make me an rear end in a top hat, but I feel like if someone shows that startling a display of financial incompetence it implies they're an absolute moron and as a result can't be trusted to do their job correctly.

But what do we do once all the doctors are unemployed?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

axeil posted:

Then again, I work with numbers and interest rate calculations and what not all day so for my industry not understanding time value of money or discounting really would be a disqualifying thing.

You answered it. Your job depends on financial competence.

This woman who is a customer service person... maybe she's just great with people, responding to customer complaints, resolving escalated issues, manages her team well, etc. Meanwhile outside work she squanders away her money. You could make a case for the two being unrelated in many scenarios/professions.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I for one vote that if Zaurg wanted to close his thread because he can’t handle reality, that he then shouldn’t be allowed to post in BFC (6 hour probation if he posts). Every time he posts now it’s just a derail.

Reality? Go read it again, brother. That wasn't reality. I can handle reality and enjoy other threads in BFC that deal with reality. Sorry for continuing your derail. Back on topic.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Blue Story was an accountant.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Doc Hawkins posted:

Was that the woman who couldn't control their crippling Star Wars collectable habit and had a husband that jumped out the window if she peeled a carrot in the same room as him?

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

Wasn’t SlowMo a financial analyst?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Financial Literacy ≠ Financial Competence

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

My gf’s dad has done this. Kind of. He bought out people’s mortgages who wouldn’t have been able to refinance and set them up on a rent to own plan to pay him back. If they don’t pay the rent, he gets the house and all their previous payments. He’s had one person walk away with only a couple years to go. He might have a second one doing the same. It’s hosed up and seems super dubious but it’s all legal and above board.

E: for his bad with money, he’s a scammer and literally always living on the edge of his finances. Has bought and sold businesses and building for millions,will likely die penniless.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Good with money by being incredibly insanely lucky.

Although renting is still better with money than buying in the bay area because for most people buying is literally impossible. The best (only?) way to be good with money in the bay area is to be an engineer making a 6-figure salary so you can pretty much ignore the insane cost of living that financially cripples most people there.
Lol if you think hitting six figures in the bay area means you can ignore the cost of living

Mid six figures, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Higgy posted:

Wasn’t SlowMo a financial analyst?

SloMo was an Actuary but acted like he ran a hedge fund