Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Breakfast is a good name for a bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Sun side up?

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
For those that have budgies (or, heck, other birds), do yours smell nice?

I had some Déjà vu coming home today from a very light perfume on someone on the bus and it reminded me of how my budgies smelled when I had them in my teens.

It is like a very very light smell of watermelon - to me at least. It was really nice. Except when they had a bath and kind of smelled like wet dog.

I just sort of assumed it was maybe the oils they produce but then was wondering if it was a sign of a healthy bird. They ate lots of fruit and vegetables
and were always out of the cage to fly or run randomly on the floor.

After about 2 months of our first budgie passing away, we decided to adopt a pair from a shelter. They actually kind of smelled bad and would be out of
breath from flying once around the room since they were always in their cage before. About 2 months later they didn't have any kind of smell. Another 2 months
later they then started to have that nice melon smell since they were being fed lots of fruit and veg and flying about and not huffing and puffing after one fly.

Is this normal for healthy birds or am I imagining things?

Really starting to miss having a budgie again now...

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My cockatiels smell like dust.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i don't know if i'd say watermelon, but my budgies definitely smell nice

griddle is the only stinky bird i have

she smells like a dog all the time :gonk:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Teeka has a scent that's hard to describe, but it makes me want to bury my nose in his feathers forever

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Agreeable Employer posted:

Cricket KNOWS she smells good :P

She lets me sniff her neck (even making little sniff noises lol) and she will tell me "OOoooooo you smell gOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooddd!!" She smells like chinese 5 spice or cinnamon....i love it so much.

She also lets me sniff under her wings to check to make sure she doesnt have "stinky birdie pits" She always raises them up for me, and then goes "YAY!!!!" when i say nope...no stinky birdie pits :)

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My wife's back from a 2 week trip out of the country and some of the gains on Spencer's behaviour have been reset. I was expecting something like this as we've only had him a short time and 2 weeks is a long time to be gone during the bonding period.

In more positive news I took a thin cardboard tube from an aluminum foil roll that Spencer was afraid of (I suspect his dinosaur brain equated it with a snake) and broke it into 3 smaller pieces. He is now contentedly and gently disassembling one of the pieces.

Scout remains, as always, velcro'd to my neck.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Agreeable Employer posted:

I had some Déjà vu coming home today from a very light perfume on someone on the bus and it reminded me of how my budgies smelled when I had them in my teens.

It is like a very very light smell of watermelon - to me at least.

That's weird becaude lately by budgie has been getting right into my face and I noticed a weird sweet smell. I might nab him gently later and have a big huff, I'm sure he won't mind!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Auri smells of tropical fruits and, vaguely, chocolate.

Amazons have some interesting, distinct scents but Auri's (lilac-crowned Amazon) is the best I've ever smelled.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all are odd.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
This is going to sound like a dumbass question, but where do birds go to the bathroom and how do you clean up after them?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

This is going to sound like a dumbass question, but where do birds go to the bathroom and how do you clean up after them?

1. Wherever they happen to be.

2. Kleenex works well. Damp cloth if it dried before I got to it.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I use antibacterial wipes. They contain clorox with is very bad for birds, but only really when sprayed.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Beelerzebub posted:

Their poops are small and relatively dry, and can be picked up with a paper towel. Budgies’ are the size of a grain of rice, tiels’ are BB sized or so, conures’ about the size of a marble.

Sometimes they hold it and there’s a huge ol’ poop in the morning, but you can anticipate that. And sometimes you can train them to poop at their cage or when they step up

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
While they will poop just about anywhere, many of them like to poop in specific consistent places nd I know of many who are effectively toilet trained. Biggest poops you'll get are probably Macaws or large 'toos which could be an inch or so across especially for a big morning poop.

Wet bird poop (as said above) is extremely easy to clean up, dried poop isn't great on carpet or fabric, but scrapes off hard floors extremely easily. Unlike mammal poop, bird poop doesn't smell disgusting and doesn't tend to attract insects because it's very alkaline.

Poop.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Birds are also highly attracted to keyboards for pooping. If they have any choice in the matter, it’s keyboard

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shirec posted:

Birds are also highly attracted to keyboards for pooping. If they have any choice in the matter, it’s keyboard

In my experience, down a computer monitor is also choice.

What about the size and quality of pigeon poop, though?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
:3:

Nordick posted:

It's nice to see Lowtax give his mods a little something for all their effort.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Charlie is alive and doing quite well. He became extremely enamored with a friend and, more important, the friend's bird and so lives with them now where he can manipulate both in the name of NutriBerries.

The real news is while Archer and Anais are here they are still in fact potatoes with antennae so I present to you Bandit the Black-Capped Conure

She's only three months old though so she's still shy. :ohdear:

That said she already learned she reigns over the cockatiels with an iron fist! :black101:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shark Sandwich posted:

She's only three months old though so she's still shy. :ohdear:
Baby conures are the anime'est of birds :kimchi:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
He thought he could hide from me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shark Sandwich posted:

Charlie is alive and doing quite well. He became extremely enamored with a friend and, more important, the friend's bird and so lives with them now where he can manipulate both in the name of NutriBerries.

What kind of bird did Charlie fall in love with? And why does your post not have pictures of them together? :colbert:

Also Bandit is a real cutie and you clearly need to get her more socialized by taking as many photos as possible.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Big baby eyesssss

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What kind of bird did Charlie fall in love with? And why does your post not have pictures of them together? :colbert:

Also Bandit is a real cutie and you clearly need to get her more socialized by taking as many photos as possible.

This bird :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

also,
:3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Cricket likes to drop her poobombs on my desk. I try putting tissues under her butt... nope, she will move away and let fly. She will, however, try to hold her mega morning poo til she gets to the sink in the kitchen where she gets weighed, but sometimes it is not meant to be.

The only redeeming thing is right after she does it she yells POO and tries to high four me :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Disco Salmon posted:

The only redeeming thing is right after she does it she yells POO and tries to high four me :3:
Good birb :kimchi:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Tendai posted:

Baby conures are the anime'est of birds :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/nyao_sumire/status/989840320723550208

guys help, my avocados are all moldy

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

nielsm posted:

In my experience, down a computer monitor is also choice.

What about the size and quality of pigeon poop, though?

Pea-sized, wet, warm, easily cleaned up with kleenex. Handsome boy Hyde likes to poop down my back from the chair I'm usually sitting on, Soot-soot does the proper ladylike thing and doesn't.

Speaking of Sootsprite, though.

What is thaaaaaaaat

Egg!

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Oh hi, I've been a grumpy ball of rear end in a top hat in my cage moulting for 2 weeks.

give me pats.

GIVE ME MORE PATS

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Babies :3: Weaponized cute.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hey Bandit do you want to be in more photos?

Uhhhh.....

Thanks! :kimchi:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Well, I didnt see that coming :magical:.

Though it's hardly surprising; EVERYONE loves Amadeus.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

iRend posted:

Oh hi, I've been a grumpy ball of rear end in a top hat in my cage moulting for 2 weeks.

Parakeet fury confirmed.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Budgies are a cockatoo worth of fury crammed into a tiny body

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Who posts a picture of their bare-

Jose Oquendo posted:

He thought he could hide from me.

oh.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

GhostBird.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF, another reason I will not have a bird.

https://i.imgur.com/AaoDRp2.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/089cfPw.mp4